The Supreme Court Just Pointed Out the Absurdity of the Electoral College

aubiefifty

14 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

Just say pointless lol. You definitely try to hard sound like your talking down to people. Talk about narcissism lol....

Actually, someone else used it a few days ago and I liked it.  (Dub maybe?)

Are you aware of the reference?  (It is in the dictionary.) I am sorry you feel like you are being "talked-down to", but that's your problem, not mine. 

It's the sort of inferiority-based reaction that I might expect from a MAGA (along with the apparent literary ignorance).

:comfort:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Are you aware of the reference?  (It is in the dictionary.) I am sorry you feel like you are being "talked-down to", but that's your problem, not mine. 

It's the sort of inferiority-based reaction that I might expect from a MAGA (along with the apparent literary ignorance).

I'll cop to being flowery with the written word from time to time, but that was Titan lol. 

7 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

I’m in oil and gas and we use both almost equally. Hell some of the subsea stuff has both metric and imperial on the same drawings. 

Who wouldn’t want to deal with units like this....lol 

2EC0F97C-2747-411C-B22C-A5865D5B46B4.jpeg

I took fluid mechanics in college and it was such a damned hodge podge of a mess. Metric makes things so damned easy. 

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

No need for apologies. You wernt talking to me. I just thought I would point it out. I know your big on psychology, and I'm certain you get the reasoning of overcompensating with things. Nothing wrong with using big words and using them here and there. I guess I jumped at it being some sorta insecurity issue.....you know, "wanna sound smart, so use big unnecessary words"...I dont think that's you, so sorry for the  not so thought out post......still sounded a little silly though😄

4 hours ago, AUDub said:

I'll cop to being flowery with the written word from time to time, but that was Titan lol. 

Whoops!  Sorry Titan!  :-[ 

(It was a colorful use of a mythological allusion.)

43 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I took fluid mechanics in college and it was such a damned hodge podge of a mess. Metric makes things so damned easy. 

I develop a hot button about it every year when opening my pool - converting and tallying quarts, pints and ounces per 10,000 gallons.

It's absolutely insane. :no:

A recipe for ******* up.

17 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Whoops!  Sorry Titan!  :-[ 

(It was a colorful use of a mythological allusion.)

s*** I learned about Sisyphus in 6th grade. Kind of surprised it's considered "high-brow" by some. 

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I develop a hot button about it every year when opening my pool - converting and tallying quarts, pints and ounces per 10,000 gallons.

It's absolutely insane. :no:

A recipe for ******* up.

All I do is water now, and it can be a hodge podge in its own right. The machines are all calculated for LPM, but the tank EBCT calcs are all in GPM and the like, volumes measured in cubic feet. Blech. 

Just give me liters and meters, please. 

6 minutes ago, AUDub said:

s*** I learned about Sisyphus in 6th grade. Kind of surprised it's considered "high-brow" by some. 

Me too.

Sadly, it doesn't take much to achieve "high-brow" status on this forum.

20 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Me too.

Sadly, it doesn't take much to achieve "high-brow" status on this forum.

When you get there, at some point in the far far far far far distant future, would you please let us know...:big:

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

You mean the two states that produce a large chunk of our wealth as a country?  Yeah, I'm OK with that.

California, if it were a country, would be the 5th largest GDP in the world.   New York would be 11th if it were its own country.

Your point is?

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I've been to NYC a ton.  Spend a week each month there for work.  I feel safer walking the streets of NYC than I do in Montgomery or Birmingham.  Montgomery is still the only place I've ever had a gun pointed at me. 

But please, tell me more about how well you understand the differences between the places based on your extensive travel.

That was obviously before the current disaster that N.Y. has become in the past few days. Next time you decide to walk the streets there, wear a vest and be sure to have your own gun to shoot back with. Yes, in most cases carrying a gun in N.Y. is not legal. It's better to defend yourself once on the street and once in court than to be the hapless victim of a lawless mob.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

That was obviously before the current disaster that N.Y. has become in the past few days. Next time you decide to walk the streets there, wear a vest and be sure to have your own gun to shoot back with. Yes, in most cases carrying a gun in N.Y. is not legal. It's better to defend yourself once on the street and once in court than to be the hapless victim of a lawless mob.

LOL!  You know nothing of NYC and it shows with this post.  Our staff up there isn't afraid to walk the streets of NYC and neither am I.  It's legitimately one of the safest places I've ever traveled to and I've been all over this freaking country.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Your point is?

That people who live in states which produce next to nothing and live off of the teat of places like California and NY should really check themselves before throwing stones.

On 7/12/2020 at 11:24 PM, Brad_ATX said:

LOL!  You know nothing of NYC and it shows with this post.  Our staff up there isn't afraid to walk the streets of NYC and neither am I.  It's legitimately one of the safest places I've ever traveled to and I've been all over this freaking country.

You're speaking of the New York of three weeks ago. Things are undergoing rapid changes so you better be cautious on your next visit. de Blasio has jerked NY back into the 1970's.

On 7/12/2020 at 11:24 PM, Brad_ATX said:

That people who live in states which produce next to nothing and live off of the teat of places like California and NY should really check themselves before throwing stones.

Why? They supply enough embarrassment to counter-balance what little good we get out of their presence. They stick us with The Toad, The Brunette Blond Joke, The Pencil Neck Liar and The Old Drunk. Are their dollars really worth it? I could stand giving it a go without those two states.

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You're speaking of the New York of three weeks ago. Things are undergoing rapid changes so you better be cautious on your next visit. de Blasio has jerked NY back into the 1970's.

Jeebus you're dumb.  Keep making assumptions about a place that you've either never been to or haven't visited in decades.  When our staff and the numerous people I know that live there tell me to worry, then I'll listen.  Until then, I'd rather walk the streets of NYC than Birmingham or Montgomery.

Why? They supply enough embarrassment to counter-balance what little good we get out of their presence. They stick us with The Toad, The Brunette Blond Joke, The Pencil Neck Liar and The Old Drunk. Are their dollars really worth it? I could stand giving it a go without those two states.

A guy from Alabama, the state that produced such dignitaries as Roy Moore, George Wallace, Governor Gropey (Bentley), Mike Hubbard, and more is calling out other places about being embarrassing?  Pot, meet kettle.

And yeah, their dollars are worth it.  Alabama, Mississippi, and numerous other poor ass red states would literally be insolvent without them.

Deep South hard-core Republicans at their finest right here.  Hate places like California but more than willing to hold their hand out and take that sweet Cali money.

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Jeebus you're dumb.  Keep making assumptions about a place that you've either never been to

Haven't you been watching the news? Keep current and you'll see a sudden, radical change in what was just recently "The World's Safest Big City". That can no longer be said. The popping noise New Yorkers are hearing in the next block isn't fireworks any more.

12 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Deep South hard-core Republicans at their finest right here.  Hate places like California but more than willing to hold their hand out and take that sweet Cali money.

We could adjust very nicely. One huge benefit would be not having to see their bat-sh** crazy governor on the television news at least weekly. Cali has run itself bankrupt and now wants a federal bailout in terms of billions of dollars. I thought they were rich?

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Haven't you been watching the news? Keep current and you'll see a sudden, radical change in what was just recently "The World's Safest Big City". That can no longer be said. The popping noise New Yorkers are hearing in the next block isn't fireworks any more.

I watch the news.  I also, ya know, talk to people who actually live there.  They aren't in the least bit worried.  And none of them live in Manhattan by the way, which is the safest and most touristy of the boroughs.  All of my people are in Queens or Brooklyn, which is also where I spend most of my time when I'm in the city.  Never felt in danger once.

It's like you morons who rail on Chicago as being this wholly dangerous place when pretty much all of the danger is in a few neighborhoods on the South Side.  Downtown Chicago, Wrigleyville, Wicker Park, etc, etc....totally safe.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We could adjust very nicely. One huge benefit would be not having to see their bat-sh** crazy governor on the television news at least weekly. Cali has run itself bankrupt and now wants a federal bailout in terms of billions of dollars. I thought they were rich?

You quite literally don't have the infrastructure or tax revenue to be solvent without that sweet California and New York money.  Alabama is extremely dependent on the federal government and the tax revenues that come from wealthier places.  But don't let the facts get in the way of your narrative.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/05/which-states-are-givers-and-which-are-takers/361668/

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

All of my people are in Queens or Brooklyn, which is also where I spend most of my time when I'm in the city.  Never felt in danger once.

Are you there now? You keep dodging the issue by referencing what you experienced in the past.  Had de Blasio ruined the NYPD the last time you were there? I think that's less than two weeks old.

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

You quite literally don't have the infrastructure or tax revenue to be solvent without that sweet California and New York money.  Alabama is extremely dependent on the federal government and the tax revenues that come from wealthier places.  But don't let the facts get in the way of your narrative.

We are using that money now. Given a different setup, we'd take corrective measures.  Just like the millions on the handout welfare payments. Stop the payments and they'd find useful work. Of course, that would dry up the Dem's source of (supposedly) Dem Latino voters who come to the U.S. in droves seeking the work our welfare recipients should be doing.

The Atlantic? Can I use Rush Limbaugh as a reliable source? He's less Righty than that rag is Lefty.

25 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Are you there now? You keep dodging the issue by referencing what you experienced in the past.  Had de Blasio ruined the NYPD the last time you were there? I think that's less than two weeks old.

I've been there 10 times in the last 15 months for a total of about 50 days.  Due to travel restrictions, I haven't been able to go back since about February.  Under normal circumstances, I'm there for a week every month to 6 weeks at minimum.  However, our staff lives and works there.  I get updates every day and no one, not even during mass protests in the streets, was or is concerned.  And our staff don't drive to work.  It's all folks who take the subway.  We encourage their safety, but it's business as usual there.

25 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We are using that money now. Given a different setup, we'd take corrective measures.  Just like the millions on the handout welfare payments. Stop the payments and they'd find useful work. Of course, that would dry up the Dem's source of (supposedly) Dem Latino voters who come to the U.S. in droves seeking the work our welfare recipients should be doing.

The Atlantic? Can I use Rush Limbaugh as a reliable source? He's less Righty than that rag is Lefty.

Yes, let's attack The Atlantic.  Would you like another source charting out how Alabama has their hand out and is essentially a welfare state?  I can provide plenty.

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yes, let's attack The Atlantic.  Would you like another source charting out how Alabama has their hand out and is essentially a welfare state?  I can provide plenty.

I've already said we are using their money now. You act like that's some big revelation. Like the welfare folks, if Other People's Money dried up, Alabama would adjust, and we could adjust better than most.

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I've been there 10 times in the last 15 months for a total of about 50 days.

Again with the "I was there before now and all was fine." It's no longer fine. I tend to believe various news sources more than your report of how your fellow workers feel. If the mess hasn't reached to where they live/work just yet, give it another couple of weeks.

Again with the "I was there before now and all was fine." It's no longer fine. I tend to believe various news sources more than your report of how your fellow workers feel. If the mess hasn't reached to where they live/work just yet, give it another couple of weeks.

I tend to believe people who live there.  It's like me saying "I saw some rednecks on the news who are pro-segregation so that must be indicative of all Southerners." Well we both know that's a patently false statement, but that's the logic you're using.

Question 1: When was the last time you went to NYC?  Understanding the place you are talking about matters here.

Question 2: Do you know that the violent crime rate in Montgomery and Birmingham is higher than that of NYC?  In Birmingham's case, it's exponentially higher.

Birmingham: 19.33 violent crimes per 1,000 residents

Montgomery: 6.13 violent crimes per 1,000 residents

New York City: 4.78 violent crimes per 1,000 residents

Again I say to you, glass houses.  Fix your own house before lobbing bombs at other, better off places.

On 7/12/2020 at 7:14 AM, DKW 86 said:

I get those that favor the EC. I mean I understand that without the EC they have been told that California, maybe even Los Angeles alone would overrule 25 states or more. That is just not so. Time for cold hard facts my friends. 

Market Watch gets it right IMHO: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-biggest-argument-for-keeping-the-electoral-college-relies-on-a-myth-2019-09-10

Please note the DATE OF THIS ARTICLE: 9-10-2019 written and published when we were not in the throes of an election. Sanity, Peace, Rationality are good things.

A decent article but it undercuts it's own argument. FL is a swing state, so it's not always going to Republican. TX has become much more competitive as well. Contrast that to NY and CAL which are solid Democrat voting states and have been for decades. It's not an apple to apples comparison of big states.

Hilary won the popular vote because she ran it up in NY and CAL by a bigger margin than Trump did in FL and TX.

32 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

A decent article but it undercuts it's own argument. FL is a swing state, so it's not always going to Republican. TX has become much more competitive as well. Contrast that to NY and CAL which are solid Democrat voting states and have been for decades. It's not an apple to apples comparison of big states.

Hilary won the popular vote because she ran it up in NY and CAL by a bigger margin than Trump did in FL and TX.

How many disaffected voters don't turn out now because of the EC?  How many more Republicans in conservative parts of California (which exist) would vote in a Presidential election if they knew it wasn't winner take all in their state?  Same goes for Democratic voters in Alabama.

This will be the first election of my time here in Texas that the Presidential election will even be remotely competitive.  My vote has literally been null and void for nearly a decade and there's been little point for me going to the polls.  Is that OK?

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

How many disaffected voters don't turn out now because of the EC?  How many more Republicans in conservative parts of California (which exist) would vote in a Presidential election if they knew it wasn't winner take all in their state?  Same goes for Democratic voters in Alabama.

This will be the first election of my time here in Texas that the Presidential election will even be remotely competitive.  My vote has literally been null and void for nearly a decade and there's been little point for me going to the polls.  Is that OK?

The demographics in Texas have changed drastically over the last decade with a growing hispanic population in Texas which is making TX a much more competitive state and likely a swing state going forward. So you're vote is definitely going to be meaningful from now on. Although I'm saying what you probably already know.

NY and CAL demographics aren't going to make their states more competitive, the opposite is actually happening.  They're getting more solidly Democrat.  In NY since 1996, the Democrat nominee has gotten  58% or more of the state's vote in the GE. In CAL, every GE since 1992(which Democrats have won) has seen the Democrat nominee's margin of the vote go up, except for 2012 which a small decrease.

CAL Democrat % of the vote Presidential election results

1992: 46.01%
1996: 51.10%
2000: 53.45%
2004: 54.40%
2008: 60.94%
2012: 60.24%
2016: 61.48%

Again, the big states argument is not apples to apples. Democrats have enjoyed a stranglehold in NY and CAL for decades and it's actually getting less competitive. FL has been a swing state for decades. TX is the only big state that has been solid Republican but that has changed now and TX is going to be competitive going forward. 

51 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

The demographics in Texas have changed drastically over the last decade with a growing hispanic population in Texas which is making TX a much more competitive state and likely a swing state going forward. So you're vote is definitely going to be meaningful from now on. Although I'm saying what you probably already know.

NY and CAL demographics aren't going to make their states more competitive, the opposite is actually happening.  They're getting more solidly Democrat.  In NY since 1996, the Democrat nominee has gotten  58% or more of the state's vote in the GE. In CAL, every GE since 1992(which Democrats have won) has seen the Democrat nominee's margin of the vote go up, except for 2012 which a small decrease.

CAL Democrat % of the vote Presidential election results

1992: 46.01%
1996: 51.10%
2000: 53.45%
2004: 54.40%
2008: 60.94%
2012: 60.24%
2016: 61.48%

Again, the big states argument is not apples to apples. Democrats have enjoyed a stranglehold in NY and CAL for decades and it's actually getting less competitive. FL has been a swing state for decades. TX is the only big state that has been solid Republican but that has changed now and TX is going to be competitive going forward. 

The Texas voting demographics have much less to do with the Hispanic population and much more to do with the influx on people moving here from other, more solidly blue states like California.  Same thing happened in Colorado.  The Hispanic population here is much more nuanced and conservative than most would believe.

But don't forget, Texas still went to Trump +9 four years ago and every branch of state government is Republican.  This year (and the 2018 midterms) I think says much more about Trump's lack of popularity in the suburbs here than anything else, as that's where Democrats have made the most gains.  Give this state a decent Republican to vote for and he/she wins every time.

But my point remains.  People who are in a large minority party in states may not feel the need or desire to vote for fear of it being "wasted" and I believe they are completely underrepresented in the final tally.  Understanding that every man and woman's vote counts should mean something.   That's the basic thing.  Haven't even started on our current system giving people in smaller states a higher weight on their vote vs bigger places, which is inherently wrong since we are all expected to pay into the same federal tax code.  If my vote counts for less than someone in Wyoming, then I want to pay a proportionally less amount of taxes.  It's only fair.

Not to mention that I don't understand the argument that we can't let a few places be the main spots which "control" a popular vote but we're perfectly OK with the national election coming down to 70,000 votes in 2016 or repeatedly being decided by Florida and a handful of other states.

Archived