Power 5 to play conference games only?

gr82b4au

44 minutes ago, jared52 said:

It’s also not a sport that can afford not to play, but someone is either going to have to decide that the risk is worth it and the backlash when the media storm come at them when cases rise (regardless of cause) isn’t going to destroy them if they are going to play a down of football. The only problem is see is a lot of pussyfooting around making a clear cut decision and waiting for others to make a call. thats true of leaders in areas other than sports as well. 

You cannot make decisions in haste. That is why I thought it was ridiculous when one Auburn brass member declared last spring Auburn will have football. How can you say something like that without a clue of this fluid situation? I think people are going to find out the hard way, an acute loss in revenue won’t be worth the possible risks of exposure and mortality .

So, just trying to think this through. I'm assuming the travel from other parts of the country is part of the decision making for this? Why not have uniform testing and safety measures for P5 schools? UGA vs GT makes more sense than UF vs Mizzou, right? This can't be a one size fits all solution. I am not optimistic about football this Fall.  

33 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

So, just trying to think this through. I'm assuming the travel from other parts of the country is part of the decision making for this? Why not have uniform testing and safety measures for P5 schools? UGA vs GT makes more sense than UF vs Mizzou, right? This can't be a one size fits all solution. I am not optimistic about football this Fall.  

not just travel, different conferences and regions have different means for how they're doing things. Big 10 and PAC 12 are very unified in their attitudes towards this situation. Plus you sacrifice all the potential things that could go wrong if intra-conference games end up being the ones that cause an outbreak for both teams. Inter-conference, again, more control over things 

So who the heck is Notre Dame going to play when all other conferences only play conference schedules? 

26 minutes ago, gr82be said:

So who the heck is Notre Dame going to play when all other conferences only play conference schedules? 

ACC already said they will help ND compensate 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

ACC already said they will help ND compensate 

Thanks, I guess I should have read the article before posting. My bad. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29445433/sec-commissioner-greg-sankey-concern-football-season-high-very-high

"We put a medical advisory group together in early April with the question, 'What do we have to do to get back to activity?' and they've been a big part of the conversation," Sankey said.  "But the direct reality is not good   and the notion that we've politicized medical guidance of distancing, and breathing masks, and hand sanitization, ventilation of being outside, being careful where you are in buildings.      There's some very clear advice about -- you can't mitigate and eliminate every risk, but how do you minimize the risk?     ...     We are running out of time to correct and get things right, and as a society we owe it to each other to be as healthy as we can be."

22 hours ago, DAG said:

This is the stuff that makes it hard for me to believe we will have fall sports. You outlaw this but totally okay to huddle and tackle each other 

My thought exactly. It's nice spin but no cigar.

7 hours ago, gr82be said:

Thanks, I guess I should have read the article before posting. My bad. 

Wasn't trying to get on you bud. Valid question 

16 hours ago, DAG said:

You cannot make decisions in haste. That is why I thought it was ridiculous when one Auburn brass member declared last spring Auburn will have football. How can you say something like that without a clue of this fluid situation? I think people are going to find out the hard way, an acute loss in revenue won’t be worth the possible risks of exposure and mortality .

Yeah, that was an asinine declaration for sure. Gouge was trying to up enrollment most likely. But yes, this is the choice between thousands of jobs or thousands of lives. 

I see a lot posted but nothing concerning athletes. What about athletes that will be seniors this year, providing season is called off? Will they just graduate and be done with college football? What if they want to redshirt or otherwise come back for another year? What about incoming class and limit of players on team? Looks like a lot more to consider than I can even think about!

Ok I’m looking for any positives from not having a season here...I’ve thought of two...

- bammers whose entire identity is wrapped up in that football team will be lost. Will be interesting to observe.

- They will have to live with us winning the last Iron Bowl for another year with no chance to avenge. 

Thats all I’ve got.  I’m clinging to hope. 

3 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Ok I’m looking for any positives from not having a season here...I’ve thought of two...

- bammers whose entire identity is wrapped up in that football team will be lost. Will be interesting to observe.

- They will have to live with us winning the last Iron Bowl for another year with no chance to avenge. 

I was looking to see which East teams they play this season and I saw this. They actually don't even acknowledge that we win last year's Iron Bowl. They stop after Western Carolina and skip straight to this season. Lol, they not only make up NCs but they just erase losses. 

Screenshot_20200713-192505.png

1 hour ago, provibe said:

I see a lot posted but nothing concerning athletes. What about athletes that will be seniors this year, providing season is called off? Will they just graduate and be done with college football? What if they want to redshirt or otherwise come back for another year? What about incoming class and limit of players on team? Looks like a lot more to consider than I can even think about!

I expect that for any player that wants another year if the season is canceled, the NCAA will be obliging. That's already the case in some other sports. Can't imagine the NCAA would not follow suit for football.

35 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I was looking to see which East teams they play this season and I saw this. They actually don't even acknowledge that we win last year's Iron Bowl. They stop after Western Carolina and skip straight to this season. Lol, they not only make up NCs but they just erase losses. 

Screenshot_20200713-192505.png

Typical 

1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Hate to be a negative Nancy but I could see this being a bumpy season with the rebuilding of the Oline, lack of practice with the new offensive schemes, and the road games at Bama and Uga.  Skipping to 2021 with hopefully a deeper line and more favorable schedule could be a blessing.  I kinda felt the same way about the b-ball team possibly struggling in the NCAA tourney this season following the final four run.  Who knows until you play the games though.

I did like the idea of moving up the next 2 East opponents to fill the schedule.  For Auburn that would be South Carolina and Missouri which I feel would be very favorable for Auburn.  Bama would have to play Florida, UGA, and Tennessee from the East.  

On 7/13/2020 at 4:25 PM, provibe said:

if i'm a senior and i'm told i'm not going to play my senior season until march/april of next year then i dont even bother suiting up i just sit out and wait to get drafted which is likekly what you will see with some if the season is delayed to spring

2 hours ago, KnightTiger said:

if i'm a senior and i'm told i'm not going to play my senior season until march/april of next year then i dont even bother suiting up i just sit out and wait to get drafted which is likekly what you will see with some if the season is delayed to spring

Of course the vast majority of seniors are not going to get drafted and know it. How does that affect your take?

15 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Of course the vast majority of seniors are not going to get drafted and know it. How does that affect your take?

That and the majority of Power 5 teams would be in the same boat.  If anything it possibly would help Auburn with UGA, LSU, and Bama possibly losing more key starters to the NFL than Auburn would.  Many Athletic departments and universities could be in dire straits without TV money from the season.  How great would it be to go to a b-ball game, football game, and baseball game all in one trip to the plains?  75 and sunny for an Iron Bowl could be nice too.

Archived