SEC targets late July for COVID-19 decision-making

aubiefifty

3 minutes ago, WarTim said:

What could you POSSIBLY be referring too???????

The fact that you vehemently argued against common sense safety measures and common courtesy when in public long after they'd been established. I was just assuming, since you're ostensibly pro-truth, that you've changed your stance and are now conducting yourself more responsibly, in deed and word. 

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The fact that you vehemently argued against common sense safety measures and common courtesy when in public long after they'd been established. I was just assuming, since you're ostensibly pro-truth, that you've changed your stance and are now conducting yourself more responsibly, in deed and word. 

MAybe some people just need a visual to better understand the benefits??? :)

image.png

43 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I know I'm Mr. Hypocrite to some on this site now but seriously.....enough!

Wear a mask....or don't.  I don't care.  I'm not joining that ridiculousnes.  I have my opinion but my opinion has proven to not matter.

But question for those who are members of the "Mask Politburo", who won't even go out to eat unless there's a semi-truck's length between tables, and Americans losing jobs be damned as long as they lose their homes & starve to death "safely"....

Why in the world are you even discussing sending these young athletes, middle-aged coaches, old staff & trainers as well as myriad support staff & personnel, not to mention professors, their assistants, custodial staff, cafeteria workers to guaranteed doom by insisting they should still attend school & play football all for the sake of "normalcy"...AKA your entertainment?

THERE'S NO "SAFE" WAY TO CRASH INTO, SWEAT ON, SPIT ON, BLEED ON EACH OTHER!

Now...if you're ones to say "there should NOT be football" then at least you're more consistent.

I’ve said from the get go there should not be football and based on the contradictory rules being installed , those calling the shots know this as well

On 7/18/2020 at 2:39 PM, Auctoritas said:

Then you're just an a-hole and should be ashamed of yourself as a human being. If that's what makes you not want to wear a mask, then I'd say you deserve whatever karma is coming to you. Of course, then again, you're probably going to end up killing a family member or a friend, so it's a shame your abject selfishness is going to affect other people.

You. You are what is wrong with America. Good riddance to you.

Unfortunately, you're the kind of person that has made it so that the season will likely be cancelled. Maybe since you can't see past your own self-interest, maybe that'll get your attention.

So you say everyone should wear a mask correct?  Even though the CDC says that there are exceptions and some shouldn't wear masks.  You just attacked a person over his beliefs that don't mesh with yours.  Also, there is never mention about the proper wearing/cleaning etc of these masks.  I think people would better follow what the government says, except that we were lied too early on and we are also seeing deaths counted as COVID deaths where COVID didn't play a part.  There are numerous examples of these cases throughout the US.  Also, when NY Gov is getting CUDOS for his actions in NY by Fauci is laughable (the elderly that died because of his Nursing home policy).  So if you can't see it people are skeptical of what is being put out.  But given all of that, the attacking of people doesn't help.

59 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

There should not be football. I don't think that's a particularly hot take.

Fresh outta hot takes.  But there seems to be some folks discussing football as if it should be played....but with partitions, and temperature taking, etc...

I haven't dreamed it.

34 minutes ago, DAG said:

I’ve said from the get go there should not be football and based on the contradictory rules being installed , those calling the shots know this as well

Thanks DAG.  This is what set me off.

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Fresh outta hot takes.  But there seems to be some folks discussing football as if it should be played....but with partitions, and temperature taking, etc...

I haven't dreamed it.

It's July. No harm in talking about things as though they'll happen normally. The conversation is as much an escape as the games themselves.

And if they DID proceed with football- and it's a good point many have made that there's enough money involved to make people make poor decisions- then it's worth exploring the safest ways possible to do it. 

Also, as it so often does, the conversation around sports can be a microcosm of, a proxy for, or even inform a much larger and more important conversation. 

Maybe I'm not smart enough to understand, but without a vaccine, how could we play this fall?

With quarantine recommendations being what they are, I don't see how you make it through the season without having to play with enormous roster disparities. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Add me to the list of folks who thinks there shouldn't be football this year.  But make no mistake, whether football will be played or not is a financial calculation being made by the PTB, not one based primarily on health and safety.

This bolded part is the way of the world, you nor I have much to say about it.  We can only do what’s safe for our situation when those decisions are made. We are responsible for our own safety.

53 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

So you say everyone should wear a mask correct?  Even though the CDC says that there are exceptions and some shouldn't wear masks.  You just attacked a person over his beliefs that don't mesh with yours.  Also, there is never mention about the proper wearing/cleaning etc of these masks.  I think people would better follow what the government says, except that we were lied too early on and we are also seeing deaths counted as COVID deaths where COVID didn't play a part.  There are numerous examples of these cases throughout the US.  Also, when NY Gov is getting CUDOS for his actions in NY by Fauci is laughable (the elderly that died because of his Nursing home policy).  So if you can't see it people are skeptical of what is being put out.  But given all of that, the attacking of people doesn't help.

I generally agree with with your comments.  But I think the idea that the government lying to us may be a bit harsh.  We haven't dealt with a pandemic like this in over 100 years.  There is going to be panic and confusion in the early stages that will subside over time as we learn. 

Seems like everyone hates the government right now  whether it be hating on the democrats or republicans (myself included).  And  I'm not particularly happy with the specific politicians that are trying to take political advantage of the situation.  But overall, I think they are trying make good decisions as they balance the health considerations with the economic considerations.

My question to you is this.... Hypothetically, if the SEC were to announce tomorrow that the football season will proceed but everyone in the stands must wear masks while in the stadium and anyone caught without a mask will be kicked out for the rest of the season.  Would you support this compromise?

Personally, I don't know if the masks help or not.  But if we can get a football season simply by wearing a mask.  Dammit wear the mask!

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I have my opinion but my opinion has proven to not matter.

Not to worry, it depends on who is reading it. 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

But question for those who are members of the "Mask Politburo", who won't even go out to eat unless there's a semi-truck's length between tables, and Americans losing jobs be damned as long as they lose their homes & starve to death "safely"....

The problem with a restaurant for me at least is that some aren't taking the prevention (for lack of a better word) methods seriously. And you can't know that until you go inside and see for yourself in most cases. There is a restaurant in town who just opened their buffet again on Sunday. Now that's just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard but they said they were doing it as of yesterday. I have been very limited in dining out but I have tried to do a bit more carry out than I used to. I want to support the local businesses but I want them to take precautions too. 

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Why in the world are you even discussing sending these young athletes, middle-aged coaches, old staff & trainers as well as myriad support staff & personnel, not to mention professors, their assistants, custodial staff, cafeteria workers to guaranteed doom by insisting they should still attend school & play football all for the sake of "normalcy"...AKA your entertainment?

I wholeheartedly agree with those who say there should be no football but the custodial workers, food and beverage vendors at the stadium, security guards, ticket takers etc. are going to be affected either way. It's no win for them. They might get sick or they might not pay the bills for next month...what a choice. I really hate this for those people. I see both sides of that argument but as for the players it is not wise to pursue playing football. 

All that said I think you know I am not one who thinks of you as a hypocrite at all. We all have opinions and I think we agree on this matter. I wear a mask because I want to be able to continue to go to work, eat, and move about freely to do most of what I want to do. To me it's a small price to pay.  The blatant disregard of safety of some folks I have come closer than six feet from is what bothers me. I don't like wearing a mask either but I prefer breathing to not breathing. 

34 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

This bolded part is the way of the world, you nor I have much to say about it.  We can only do what’s safe for our situation when those decisions are made. We are responsible for our own safety.

To a point.  But athletic administrators at the college level have young people to protect as well.  It's a bit deeper of a conversation.  If this was an NFL discussion, I'd be 100% in agreement with you.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not a single truth to be found there. Zero

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Maybe I'm not smart enough to understand, but without a vaccine, how could we play this fall?

With quarantine recommendations being what they are, I don't see how you make it through the season without having to play with enormous roster disparities. 

Also consider some shady dealings where a key player isn’t benched after testing positive with a big game coming up. 

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Huh. Well, I tried to let you explain your position back in late May when you contradicted numerous posts urging people to wear masks- to include citing months-old comments from the surgeon general who had by that time begun posting pro-mask PSAs, and attempting to delegitimize the WHO once they began officially agreeing with every other significant group of experts- but you chose not to. I suppose I can expect another deflection, dodge or mistruth this time around. 

Wrong. I simply said “we have left the WHO and moved on”. YOU made up the rest. THEN I simply wished you a good day, which I will do again now. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

To a point.  But athletic administrators at the college level have young people to protect as well.  It's a bit deeper of a conversation.  If this was an NFL discussion, I'd be 100% in agreement with you.

Decision makers will do what they do, no matter if it is a professional organization or a school.  We can only take care to protect ourselves if we are a participant or an observer.  I would not get on an airplane right now, but the airlines have never stopped running flights.  What ever decision are made, you, as a responsible person for your own safety, are the final arbiter of your choice.  That is my point.

16 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Decision makers will do what they do, no matter if it is a professional organization or a school.  We can only take care to protect ourselves if we are a participant or an observer.  I would not get on an airplane right now, but the airlines have never stopped running flights.  What ever decision are made, you, as a responsible person for your own safety, are the final arbiter of your choice.  That is my point.

Well now that it seems like schools will honor the scholarships , that will be the case for these athletes.

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Also consider some shady dealings where a key player isn’t benched after testing positive with a big game coming up. 

Imagine Alabama having to bench their FG kicker for testing positive. It could cost them big-time...oh wait, nevermind

3 hours ago, countoff said:

I generally agree with with your comments.  But I think the idea that the government lying to us may be a bit harsh.  We haven't dealt with a pandemic like this in over 100 years.  There is going to be panic and confusion in the early stages that will subside over time as we learn. 

Seems like everyone hates the government right now  whether it be hating on the democrats or republicans (myself included).  And  I'm not particularly happy with the specific politicians that are trying to take political advantage of the situation.  But overall, I think they are trying make good decisions as they balance the health considerations with the economic considerations.

My question to you is this.... Hypothetically, if the SEC were to announce tomorrow that the football season will proceed but everyone in the stands must wear masks while in the stadium and anyone caught without a mask will be kicked out for the rest of the season.  Would you support this compromise?

Personally, I don't know if the masks help or not.  But if we can get a football season simply by wearing a mask.  Dammit wear the mask!

Fauci admitted as much when he stated to not wear masks in the beginning and then later stated that we need to wear them when asked why the switch...he stated that the PPE needed to be used by first responders and they were afraid that there would be a run on masks and a shortage for first responders.  People are smarter than that and can handle the truth.

Now for your question.  I believe that is up to an individual.  If a business requires a mask then you have the option of supporting that business by wearing a mask and shopping there or not shopping there. 

As far as I know there are no laws requiring the wearing of masks in public.  There may be ordinances in some areas but I believe that could be fought in court.  I also believe that there has been an overreach by some local government leaders (do as I say not as I do variety) which makes the public loose faith and then won't believe what they say.

Just now, AU_Tiger_88 said:

If a business requires a mask then you have the option of supporting that business by wearing a mask and shopping there or not shopping there. 

It's not nearly that simple for a lot of people and a lot of the types of business they need to do.

There is no valid argument against wearing a mask. 

14 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Fauci admitted as much when he stated to not wear masks in the beginning and then later stated that we need to wear them when asked why the switch...he stated that the PPE needed to be used by first responders and they were afraid that there would be a run on masks and a shortage for first responders.  People are smarter than that and can handle the truth.

Now for your question.  I believe that is up to an individual.  If a business requires a mask then you have the option of supporting that business by wearing a mask and shopping there or not shopping there. 

As far as I know there are no laws requiring the wearing of masks in public.  There may be ordinances in some areas but I believe that could be fought in court.  I also believe that there has been an overreach by some local government leaders (do as I say not as I do variety) which makes the public loose faith and then won't believe what they say.

Yeah if you want to waste your time or money fighting mandates regarding mask, be the government’s guest. I know up here people are getting warned then citations of up to 500 dollars are being written. 

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

All that said I think you know I am not one who thinks of you as a hypocrite at all. We all have opinions and I think we agree on this matter. I wear a mask because I want to be able to continue to go to work, eat, and move about freely to do most of what I want to do. To me it's a small price to pay.  The blatant disregard of safety of some folks I have come closer than six feet from is what bothers me. I don't like wearing a mask either but I prefer breathing to not breathing. 

Brother, you are definitely not the type who I directed my thoughts too.  In fact, you and I have a belief system that is probably very much in line with where this all is ultimately leading.  That said, you're "arguments" such as they are, are the way I expect logical Auburn people to handle themselves.

As I mentioned to DAG, what's set me off is #1: the completely 100% incoherent & inconsistent set of rules that are expected to be.....I don't know....followed, suggested, just scratch your head and cough....none of this makes any sense.  And not just football but life in general.  Like you said, a buffet is open for business while the sit-down and order restaurant next door is closed.  In Florida, bars are closed but restaurants are open.  Walmart requires masks but Walgreens couldn't care less...and they're NEXT DOOR!.  Protests without masks are fine but shut-down churches because singing could kill us all.  It all reeks of agenda and you can call me a conspiracy theorist all you want.  In fact, I believe we're watching the Biblical books of Daniel & Revelation coming to life before our very eyes so yes...I'm a "conspiracy theorist" of the highest order.

And #2: is the sheer demonization going on back and forth in life and on this very forum.  This is the USA (at least it should be) so debate is good and healthy.  But the posts always devolve beyond debate into demonization and name-calling.  Acting like someone's desire to live free in his free country is killing aunt Tilly while on the other hand an anti-masker acts like someone who DOES want to be safe is a complete idiot.....  There IS a middle ground to this. 

For example, I'm not an anti-masker.  I'm HIGHLY at risk.  My wife has an uncle who's still suffering the effects of Covid from a couple months ago.  I know it's real so I, and my loved ones, decide what risks are worth taking and what risks are not -> Our choice.  However, like all other "doomsday illnesses" this country has taken on, this one can be treated the same way and eventually it will die out.  So, if millions don't want to wear masks...that's their right in this free country.  -> Their choice. 

That is my opinion, you can agree or disagree.  ...or you can call me names and say I'm evil.  Again, your choice.  But the term "Auburn man" or "Auburn person" really is taking on a whole new persona, if this forum is any indication, in 2020.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Well now that it seems like schools will honor the scholarships , that will be the case for these athletes.

For the student athlete, it sure makes the decision a lot easier.  The only pressure for the athletes would be IF the season is played.

SWAC going to a spring season.  Not as many NFL caliber players on those teams so it could make sense for them.  Will be interesting to see if the other smaller leagues follow their lead.  From a dollars and cents perspective a Spring season is better than no season.

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Yeah if you want to waste your time or money fighting mandates regarding mask, be the government’s guest. I know up here people are getting warned then citations of up to 500 dollars are being written. 

No mandates where I live.  Also, it is a choice here. 

Archived