SEC targets late July for COVID-19 decision-making

aubiefifty

2 hours ago, DAG said:

It is absolutely a free country. I know for a fact most people won’t do something unless they are either faced with impending doom or forced to do it. This is pretty much the population that makes up the healthcare admission rates when you take a look at people health issue. I can probably count on my hands the number of people who I have seen in my 10 years of healthcare who have had an issue that was not preventable. Again, this is their choices. I don't judge and I don't force a single thing on my patients. I give you all the data I have at my disposal and it’s up to you to take your health in your hands, IF, you don't have any barriers However, I got to ask, do you wear a mask? And if you choose to not wear a mask, why not? This discussion has gone on for far too long and I still don't know the answer to it.  

Because folks just can't be told. I'm starting to think it really is that simple. They feel like they're being told and they'd rather die- and you and me along with them- than be told.

Lack of empathy, lack of humility, lack of self-esteem, lack of intelligence... Who knows.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DAG said:

I can probably count on my hands the number of people who I have seen in my 10 years of healthcare who have had an issue that was not preventable.

Don’t be disheartened DAG, remember; you being in health care see a lot more people that don’t take care of themselves.  Once you form bad habits, it is very difficult to reverse the trend willingly.  I know very few people that have health issues because of their lifestyle.

at this point i'd say 99.9% chance its cancelled and if it  is played most likely i dont see how any mother or father will be fine with their child possibly contracting covid19 say in an event where georgia travels to alabama . alabama travels to baton rouge, auburn travels to  tuscaloosa etc and come to find out several kids on both sides infect the whole team

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Literally everything you just said, minus the personal observations, was shot down months ago and has been repeatedly since. Yes, I keep up with things. There's not much at all to keep up with strictly with regards to appropriate behavior. It's scary and truly disheartening that so many fail to, or that so many would rather ignore it out of spite and pettiness.

What was shot down?  My questions?  I see by your words that you don't really want to have a conversation about it.  So I guess I won't respond as it seems you have all the answers and people who might disagree with you are full of spite and pettiness.  And there are examples of the over reporting and calling deaths COVID when they are not.  The other day in Orlando a person was put down as a COVID death but it was clearly a motorcycle accident.  So yeah clearly debunked...Similar to the labs that were caught down here reporting 100% positive rates...and that was just in the past few weeks but I guess people who question those things are just full of spite and pettiness in your world.  Keep you mask on and be safe...

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Don’t be disheartened DAG, remember; you being in health care see a lot more people that don’t take care of themselves.  Once you form bad habits, it is very difficult to reverse the trend willingly.  I know very few people that have health issues because of their lifestyle.

Correct , but the thing about it, it doesn’t have to be that way. America has by far the most advanced healthcare technology in the world and yet we also have some of the worst mortality rates and definitely spend the most on secondary and tertiary prevention leading to an insane amount of high cost. But that is a whole different.

Reckon folks saw that the SWAC (Southwest Athletic Conference) just made a decision to move football to the spring. The SWAC is FCS, not FBS but after the Ivy League cancelled football/fall sports (which was the conference that took the lead and set the example that was followed in basketball in the spring), the odds of seeing a fall schedule in football for D1 FBS seem to be getting longer and longer...

https://www.al.com/sports/2020/07/swac-becomes-latest-fcs-conference-to-postpone-2020-football-season-to-spring.html

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/07/swac-just-made-the-secs-choice-that-much-clearer.html

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

Reckon folks saw that the SWAC (Southwest Athletic Conference) just made a decision to move football to the spring. The SWAC is FCS, not FBS but after the Ivy League cancelled football/fall sports (which was the conference that took the lead and set the example that was followed in basketball in the spring), the odds of seeing a fall schedule in football for D1 FBS seem to be getting longer and longer...

https://www.al.com/sports/2020/07/swac-becomes-latest-fcs-conference-to-postpone-2020-football-season-to-spring.html

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/07/swac-just-made-the-secs-choice-that-much-clearer.html

Little different though.  Typically the winner of the SWAC doesn't play in the FCS national championship tournament.  Winner goes to an HBCU Bowl game.  Gives the SWAC some extra leeway to make this move as the winner isn't missing a potential shot at a national title.

7 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Wonder how it will affect any of their potential targets that might have gotten a shot at the NFL.  Yes, I know that not many get a shot each year but some do get invited to things that elevate their profile but looks like that won't happen this year no matter how good their season is...

This is a thought I had this morning:

The NBA is having major success using their bubble.  What is the SEC decided to do something similar.  Here is how it worked in my head:  We go to an SEC only schedule.  The SEC mandates that every school has their student athletes stay in their athletic apartments on campus for classes (taking classes online).  They are permitted to travel to the facilities and whoever else deemed safe but they are not to interact with the student body.  Only athletes that wish to play this season have to follow these protocols.  This way we have a good chance of keeping all players safe, and our stadium has a pretty good distance between fans and they players so they should be fine there.  The exception is the endzone in which the first three rows are empty.  Other stadiums that are closer to the players like Tennessee require the first three rows to be empty and increase the fines for rushing the field after a win.  The SEC needs to have third party compliance officers at each school to make sure all procedures are followed.  

Now, yes this does make the quality of college life go down, but in my eyes this is just preparing you for the league.  NBA players are having to do this already.  If another school like UNC still wants to play Auburn they must follow the SEC protocol as well although I am sure if the SEC does this, all conferences will follow suit.

10 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

What was shot down?  My questions?  I see by your words that you don't really want to have a conversation about it.  So I guess I won't respond as it seems you have all the answers and people who might disagree with you are full of spite and pettiness.  And there are examples of the over reporting and calling deaths COVID when they are not.  The other day in Orlando a person was put down as a COVID death but it was clearly a motorcycle accident.  So yeah clearly debunked...Similar to the labs that were caught down here reporting 100% positive rates...and that was just in the past few weeks but I guess people who question those things are just full of spite and pettiness in your world.  Keep you mask on and be safe...

What I'm trying to tell you is that most of the country has been having this conversation for months now, and if you still can't understand it then you're not going to. I do have to cop to wasting a lot of breath on it, anyway, though.

And no, I didn't say people who disagree with me are full of spite and pettiness. I said that there are a lot of people who refuse to wear a mask out of spite and pettiness. Most of them, probably. (By the way, "It's a free country" = "spite and pettiness".)

Yes, there are accounting irregularities in the death counts. But- I can't believe these things have to be said again- those irregularities are the exception to the rule and they do not dictate the actual narrative, and death counts are just one of and perhaps not even the most meaningful metric measuring the cost of mishandling this pandemic

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

What I'm trying to tell you is that most of the country has been having this conversation for months now, and if you still can't understand it then you're not going to. I do have to cop to wasting a lot of breath on it, anyway, though.

And no, I didn't say people who disagree with me are full of spite and pettiness. I said that there are a lot of people who refuse to wear a mask out of spite and pettiness. Most of them, probably. (By the way, "It's a free country" = "spite and pettiness".)

Yes, there are accounting irregularities in the death counts. But- I can't believe these things have to be said again- those irregularities are the exception to the rule and they do not dictate the actual narrative, and death counts are just one of and perhaps not even the most meaningful metric measuring the cost of mishandling this pandemic

There are more accounting irregularities in the number of positive cases also.  I just read a story about a TN man who got a call to talk to him about his positive COVID test...however, he never took a test.  More reports here locally in FL about a ton of labs reporting all tests positive.  Some of the labs blamed it on faulty tests.  So there is skepticism about this whole thing in many peoples eyes. 

Your statement above in bold...many people believe that once you start giving up your rights as a free person in a free country, you start loosing those rights slowly until you end up in a country like Venezuela or China.  Today it may be medical tomorrow it might be free speech, etc.  So I can understand those people and I can understand your points but just don't like how you go about it.  Words matter. 

But if you want to talk about peer reviewed studies, I am all for it.

1 hour ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

many people believe that once you start giving up your rights as a free person in a free country, you start loosing those rights slowly

I understand. What bothers me is that they think this ethos of individualism supersedes the health and well being of their fellow Americans. This is a common theme and I think it might lend to the politically divisive nature of this issue. It's certainly what makes it an emotional one for me. 

But it's also a logical one. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I understand. What bothers me is that they think this ethos of individualism supersedes the health and well being of their fellow Americans. This is a common theme and I think it might lend to the politically divisive nature of this issue. It's certainly what makes it an emotional one for me. 

But it's also a logical one. 

There is an argument to be made that other things that the government does affects their health etc....it really is more of a libertarian viewpoint.  For instance, people believe in legalizing of drugs but that can affect the health of their fellow Americans.  You can also put alcohol in that category also...but again people's choice...

Also just found out my neighbor's relative just found out she tested positive for COVID...funny thing is she never was tested.  She did go in to get tested but after an hour of waiting, they left the facility...she just got notified yesterday that she tested positive...so yeah people are getting skeptical of the supposed uptick here in FL. 

5 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Also just found out my neighbor's relative just found out she tested positive for COVID...funny thing is she never was tested.  She did go in to get tested but after an hour of waiting, they left the facility...she just got notified yesterday that she tested positive...so yeah people are getting skeptical of the supposed uptick here in FL. 

You know the word apocryphal, right? I call BS.

11 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

There is an argument to be made that other things that the government does affects their health etc....it really is more of a libertarian viewpoint.  For instance, people believe in legalizing of drugs but that can affect the health of their fellow Americans.  You can also put alcohol in that category also...but again people's choice...

And yet, there are strict rules and punitive measures guiding the responsible purchase and consumption of alcohol, tobacco and drugs.

Why aren't these slippery slope commandos storming state capitols over not being able to smoke cigarettes in restaurants and doctors offices? 

Sorry. Doesn't hold water. Spite and pettiness. 

20 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Highly coincidental based on the last couple of debates from this poster POV.

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

You can call it what you want but it isn't BS.  The incentive is that the hospital where she went will get money for her being there and marked as positive....

18 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

You can call it what you want but it isn't BS.  The incentive is that the hospital where she went will get money for her being there and marked as positive....

The incentives have been blown out of proportion. To the point that people, evidently, think that hospitals merely reporting false positives will get paid.

Which part of her treatment do you think they're getting paid, or paid extra for? You know that people have to get treated in order for the hospital to bill anything, yes? Do you think it's really more likely that a hospital is just making up fake cases to get paid than they just called the wrong person? I also have a friend who was erroneously called with a positive result... after he went to a free drive-up testing provided by the city. Do you think somebody made money off of that? Or do you think that all of these systems might be a little bit overwhelmed by a sudden and immense need for testing the likes of which no medical professional working today has ever had to deal with, and some records might be getting mixed up? 

As for the spike in Florida, how many of the hospitalizations do you think are fake? Because you do realize that the state recorded a new record high in hospitalizations *yesterday*, I'm assuming? Over 1,500 of the state's 9,000 hospitalizations have been admitted in the last 5 days (as of yesterday). Do you think that in the last 5 days hospitals have been so motivated by financial fraud that they've begun faking cases at a record rate?

I get that we all want this to be not as bad as it is. But the way for it to actually be better isn't to pretend that it already is. 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The incentives have been blown out of proportion. To the point that people, evidently, think that hospitals merely reporting false positives will get paid.

Which part of her treatment do you think they're getting paid, or paid extra for? You know that people have to get treated in order for the hospital to bill anything, yes? Do you think it's really more likely that a hospital is just making up fake cases to get paid than they just called the wrong person? I also have a friend who was erroneously called with a positive result... after he went to a free drive-up testing provided by the city. Do you think somebody made money off of that? Or do you think that all of these systems might be a little bit overwhelmed by a sudden and immense need for testing the likes of which no medical professional working today has ever had to deal with, and some records might be getting mixed up? 

As for the spike in Florida, how many of the hospitalizations do you think are fake? Because you do realize that the state recorded a new record high in hospitalizations *yesterday*, I'm assuming? Over 1,500 of the state's 9,000 hospitalizations have been admitted in the last 5 days (as of yesterday). Do you think that in the last 5 days hospitals have been so motivated by financial fraud that they've begun faking cases at a record rate?

I get that we all want this to be not as bad as it is. But the way for it to actually be better isn't to pretend that it already is. 

If I were you I would quite wasting my time. 

47 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Given that I have friends that work in the local hospital and many friends that are doctors, I would say that there is pressure being put on them to list as many COVID cases as possible.  So I do believe there is an incintive based on that.  We can disagree but we do know that the government will pay more for a COVID case than a non-COVID case based on the same treatment.  So we can go our separate ways on these discussions because it seems you seem to think that all of the reporting is correct and those that aren't are mistakes that will somehow be cleared up at some point in the future....or that your experience is more valuable than the rest of ours. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And yet, there are strict rules and punitive measures guiding the responsible purchase and consumption of alcohol, tobacco and drugs.

Why aren't these slippery slope commandos storming state capitols over not being able to smoke cigarettes in restaurants and doctors offices? 

Sorry. Doesn't hold water. Spite and pettiness. 

You totally missed the point but that has been obvious in your posts.  When you start giving up rights the people who think they know what is better for you start to try and take more.  I am not saying that things that people want to do to their bodies is what I am for as it creates problems within our society but I do support their right to do it to themselves.  Which I don't believe you understand because of things you don't see as right or correct that everyone should follow.  If it was put forward that you couldn't wear your mask then what would you do?  I don't expect an honest answer but that is the point that I am making here.  Start to give up individual freedoms and the powers that be will want more.  You can see it now with what is going on politically from the left who is wanting to take away some of our freedoms.  Keep your spite and pettiness.

3 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Given that I have friends that work in the local hospital

I work in a hospital. And I have many friends in many hospitals. And I have friends who write billing software for hospitals. They work where I used to work.

it seems you seem to think that all of the reporting is correct

I've said no such thing. 

When you start giving up rights the people who think they know what is better for you start to try and take more.

So you think we should be able to smoke in doctors' offices. Interesting take.

I do support their right to do it to themselves

You are still, somehow, breathtakingly unaware of how contagions work.

6 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

If it was put forward that you couldn't wear your mask then what would you do?

If not wearing a mask was the best way to protect my fellow man, then I would not wear a mask. Seems kind of simple and obvious to me.

7 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

You can see it now with what is going on politically from the left who is wanting to take away some of our freedoms. 

There it is. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I work in a hospital. And I have many friends in many hospitals. And I have friends who write billing software for hospitals. They work where I used to work.

Good for you...Not all hospitals are the same.

So you think we should be able to smoke in doctors' offices. Interesting take.

I never said that.  If businesses want to allow someone to smoke then that is up to that business owner.  People will make a choice to either be a patron or not.  That business will survive or it won't.  They have a choice.

You are still, somehow, breathtakingly unaware of how contagions work.

Actually I am not.  I am pretty well versed having worked in WMD for the military for a few years and how to remove nations capabilities of creating them so I am pretty well versed.

There it is. 

Yeah...You still don't get or refuse to understand my point but want to tie it back to you and how we should all act according to you.

19 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

LMAO that you think hospitals are adding cases for profit.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!    . 

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-pandemic-hospitals-loss.html

Archived