Zach Farrar to transfer

aubiefifty

Auburn reserve wide receiver set to transfer

Samford v Auburn

Auburn wide receiver Zach Farrar (14) celebrates with offensive lineman Alec Jackson (65) after scoring a touchdown during the fourth quarter against the Samford Bulldogs at Jordan-Hare Stadium on November 23, 2019 in Auburn, Alabama. (Photo by Michael Chang/Getty Images)Getty Images

One of Auburn’s backup wide receivers is set to leave the program.

Zach Farrar, who joined the Tigers as a graduate transfer last year, entered the NCAA transfer portal Wednesday, AL.com has learned.

The next school will be the fifth in five years for Farrar, who started his college career at Oklahoma in 2016 before spending 2017 at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, 2018 at Youngstown State and 2019 at Auburn.

Farrar finished last season with just three catches.

Matt Zenitz is a senior SEC football reporter for the Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @mzenitz.

the next school he attends will be number five in five years. i hope he finds a team he fits and gets to play more.

Five teams in five years.  Maybe it's time he focused on getting his degree in something that will help him get a good job.

2 hours ago, countoff said:

Five teams in five years.  Maybe it's time he focused on getting his degree in something that will help him get a good job.

I just listened to the locked on Auburn podcast, where they discussed this. He really had a rough go of things that kind of nudged him through those schools. They even imply he he was nudged out here due to excitement over the freshman wide receiver class. Maybe someone else here knows more, but I certainly hope he wasn’t forced out  when there were no behavioral issues.

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

I just listened to the locked on Auburn podcast, where they discussed this. He really had a rough go of things that kind of nudged him through those schools. They even imply he he was nudged out here due to excitement over the freshman wide receiver class. Maybe someone else here knows more, but I certainly hope he wasn’t forced out  when there were no behavioral issues.

Can't imagine anyone "forcing" but when you tell a kid who is in his 5th year out of high school that he is going to be getting splinters from the pine this year, they usually leave.

43 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Can't imagine anyone "forcing" but when you tell a kid who is in his 5th year out of high school that he is going to be getting splinters from the pine this year, they usually leave.

Could be. They claim in the podcast that he was so happy with Auburn that he would have been willing to do that. Not sure I buy it, but  I was wondering if anyone knew anything more. 

46 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Yeah. Happens all the time. Especially after coaching changes. 

This is why the players need as much flexibility and control over their careers as they can get. 

33 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Could be. They claim in the podcast that he was so happy with Auburn that he would have been willing to do that. Not sure I buy it, but  I was wondering if anyone knew anything more. 

Hard for me to buy that.  Someone on 4 schools in 4 years really feels like it is someone looking for playing time.  Maybe he loved AU (as we all do) but playing time gets him his future.

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. Happens all the time. Especially after coaching changes. 

This is why the players need as much flexibility and control over their careers as they can get. 

I don't disagree with you.  But the question to me is where is the line drawn.  Some kids are starters and some are not.  Some make to NFL some get degrees for a reason.  

I wish this kid all the luck and truly hope he finds what he is looking for.

4 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

But the question to me is where is the line drawn.  

I don't see the need for one when no such line exists for anyone else in the business. Although I am in favor of a no compete clause with players being disallowed from transferring to schools that appear on their original school's schedule the following season. That's fair. 

21 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Hard for me to buy that.  Someone on 4 schools in 4 years really feels like it is someone looking for playing time.  Maybe he loved AU (as we all do) but playing time gets him his future.

I don't disagree with you.  But the question to me is where is the line drawn.  Some kids are starters and some are not.  Some make to NFL some get degrees for a reason.  

I wish this kid all the luck and truly hope he finds what he is looking for.

The 4 schools thing was apparently a little misleading. This is the story they told on the podcast...

He started at Oklahoma where he injured his hand badly, and fell down the depth chart. He was encouraged to transfer after stoops left because the new coaches wanted to bring in new talent that hadn’t been injured. 

The second school was the junior college he went to after being nudged out of Oklahoma. You only have so much eligibility at that level... He had to leave as his eligibility ran out. 

After finishing at JUCO, he transferred to Youngstown because of lack of interest from other schools. The JUCO he went to was not very good that year, and he just didn’t have the numbers (through no fault of his own) to catch the attention of big programs again. So he settled for Youngstown because they were one of his few offers. But he really wanted to play for a bigger program. I mean, that’s quite a fall from Oklahoma to Youngstown State. So, he transferred to Auburn when we showed interest, and allegedly had no intention of leaving again. Had he not hurt his hand, he probably never would have left Oklahoma. 

So I’m still not sure I believe that play time had nothing to do with it, but they  (Locked On Auburn) were kind of implying that he didn’t really want to leave and was being nudged the same way Oklahoma nudged him. Not 100% sure I believe it, but I also don’t think it makes a lot of sense to fixate too much on the 4 schools thing given why he moved from those schools.

• WarTiger changed the title to Zach Farrar to transfer
On 7/16/2020 at 6:14 PM, bigbird said:

Hopefully that speaks to the talent we've brought in recently

Man I wish the lord blessed me with a 6'4" 210 lbs. build you can't teach that or will it into existence. I'd definitely see the field somewhere.

Wish the best for him.

Had this chat with a kid a few years ago. If you actually love football go somewhere you can play. I had a LB who wasn't big enough for Power 5 D1 ball but likely could have seen time at a Troy/UAB/USA but instead he rode the bench at UF as a walk-on and dropped it all together messaging me about missing the game.

Play as long as your body will let you without ruining it for the rest of your life. D2, D3, Semi-pro whatever. We all wish we had a few more snaps/periods/plays left.

Im just glad that we were transparent with him and didn't allow him to waste his last season

He seems to have loved just being at Auburn more than playing football, but I'd figure more than anybody, Burns knew he loved football alot. did the right thing thru and thru

I don’t mean this to sound bad or condescending in any way, but I literally forgot he was on the team. The most interesting part of the article is the 5 teams in 5 years. Man that’s impressive. 

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I don’t mean this to sound bad or condescending in any way, but I literally forgot he was on the team. The most interesting part of the article is the 5 teams in 5 years. Man that’s impressive. 

It doesn't at all. I don't know how many targets he had but with three catches for the season it's easy to forget a guy. Hopefully he gets to play somewhere. I'd hate if he left and still sat the bench somewhere. 

On 7/18/2020 at 9:57 AM, alexava said:

What advantages are there to “ nudge” out a fifth year senior a month before the season starts?

For him, he can maybe find a spot to land and actually get on the field. For us, maybe none.

As far as I can tell, Gus has been a very stand up guy with regards to transfers. I used to have my doubts but I've come to believe that he genuinely cares more about his players as people than the average P5 head coach does. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

For him, he can maybe find a spot to land and actually get on the field. For us, maybe none.

As far as I can tell, Gus has been a very stand up guy with regards to transfers. I used to have my doubts but I've come to believe that he genuinely cares more about his players as people than the average P5 head coach does. 

That’s the point I was getting at. I don’t think his departure allows us to sign another player. 

13 minutes ago, alexava said:

That’s the point I was getting at. I don’t think his departure allows us to sign another player. 

Ahhh, gotcha... you were responding to... yep... got it... shut up Loof....

On 7/18/2020 at 12:15 AM, Zeek said:

Man I wish the lord blessed me with a 6'4" 210 lbs. build you can't teach that or will it into existence. I'd definitely see the field somewhere.

Wish the best for him.

Had this chat with a kid a few years ago. If you actually love football go somewhere you can play. I had a LB who wasn't big enough for Power 5 D1 ball but likely could have seen time at a Troy/UAB/USA but instead he rode the bench at UF as a walk-on and dropped it all together messaging me about missing the game.

Play as long as your body will let you without ruining it for the rest of your life. D2, D3, Semi-pro whatever. We all wish we had a few more snaps/periods/plays left.

And here I was 6’6 235 my senior year of HS, but I’d have been happy at 6’ 175 if I had been blessed with more natural athletic ability. 

Archived