Remembering Philip Lutzenkirchen

StatTiger

On June 29, 2014, former Auburn tight end Philip Lutzenkirchen was killed in a tragic car accident. Dying at the age of 23, Lutzenkirchen was just beginning his life after college. For those that knew him, it was a devastating loss for family and friends. The standout football player and student signed with Auburn as one of the star players of the 2009 signing class. He was an all-star performer at Lassiter High School in Marietta, Georgia. He was rated as the No. 211 player in the country and the sixth-best at his position.

The 6-2, 264-pound tight end selected Auburn over Alabama, Florida, Clemson, and other Power-5 programs. He knew from his first visit to Auburn; it was his home away from home. He played as a true freshman, catching five passes for 66-yards during the 2009 season. Philip Lutzenkirchen represented Auburn University well, on and off the field. He was a significant contributor during Auburn’s 2010 National Championship season, hauling in five touchdown receptions.

2011 would be his most productive season when he totaled 24 receptions and seven touchdowns. He was poised to have another productive season in 2012, but a hip injury limited the senior to just six games. He caught 15 passes during 2012, playing only half the season. During his collegiate career, Lutzenkirchen caught 59 passes for 628-yards, while scoring 14 touchdowns. His 14 touchdown receptions remain a school record. He made the most of his receptions, with 32 resulting in a first down and 16 being impact plays or plays of 15+ yards.

He was a team player who often set the edge on outside run plays and would stay in the backfield to provide additional protection for the quarterback. He played in an offense that primarily featured the tight end inside the red zone but not so much outside the opponent’s twenty. He will forever be remembered not only for his effort on the field but the quality of life he led off the field. As a player, Lutzenkirchen was one of the best tight ends to suit up for the Auburn Tigers.

https://youtu.be/kCJQEi3fxP4

What a great young man! He was personal friends with a young man we know and he can attest to his good character. He did represent Auburn well, even if he made a terrible decision on that fateful night. I will always think of him whenever I see Gus call that play in the corner of the end zone. War Eagle #43!

I have a #43 hat from his Father. 

It's hard to believe it's been six years since Lutz lost his life. He was one of my favorite Auburn players of all time. In my mind he will forever be doing the "Lutzie" in the Alabama end zone.

I’ve got his #43 jersey in white (ode to the 2010 IB). It usually gets a nice comment like “Man he was a great TE. We sure miss him.” It’s the only piece of AU gear I’ve got that bammers don’t RT me. Huge respect for The Lutz.

I still tear up when they show him in the highlights on the video board. One of the nicest and fun loving Auburn players I've had the privilege to meet.

Archived