Alabama gets another rule changed in their favor πŸ™„

Maverick.AU

Defenses will be allowed to have 12 or more men on the field β€œto anticipate the offensive formation,” but must have 11 players on the field when the ball is snapped. The rule change is a direct result of a trick formation in the Alabama-Auburn rivalry in which Auburn lined up its quarterback at punter and its punter at receiver on fourth down late in a close game. Alabama kept 12 men on the field trying to substitute players before the snap and were charged with a foul, resulting in a first down for Auburn, which was able to ice the game on the ensuing set of downs.

What in the actual Hell? "Loophole" KMFA.

That pretty much ends any "illegal substitution" penalties on the defensive side.

Is the offense now allowed to do the same? At one time, the offense was allowed to huddle 12 people back when they used to use players to "run in" the play. They eliminated that, because the defense could not anticipate which player would run off at the last second.

I think it was when they made that offensive "illegal substitution" change when they also made the change for the defense.

Anyway, this is crazy, because all we did was a formation line up and legal shift.Β  That is done all the time in football. We never did more than one set of player substitutions.

And if this is the case, what is to keep the offensive sideline from keeping count of the defense, and the offensive sideline to signal the QB to snap the ball and run a safe play just like a play called when the defense is obviously offsides? And such plays should be reviewable by the replay official.

This all just makes it funnier and funnier. Next year, Malzhan will just line up 12 on defense at a critical time, and fool the QB as to what defense is on the field, resulting in another Alabama game losing screwup.Β  Or miss out on a game winning FG because time expires because of the last rule change. No matter how many rule changes they come up with, they'll always be something.Β  Malzhan's in Saban's head. War Eagle!

15 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

This all just makes it funnier and funnier. Next year, Malzhan will just line up 12 on defense at a critical time, and fool the QB as to what defense is on the field, resulting in another Alabama game losing screwup.Β  Or miss out on a game winning FG because time expires because of the last rule change. No matter how many rule changes they come up with, they'll always be something.Β  Malzhan's in Saban's head. War Eagle!

Good point and I'm embarrassed that I didn't consider it sooner.

Can anyone speak to if this will allow defenses to fool offenses now?Β 

46 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

But if the QB sees 12 men on D and snaps the ball right away then the D gets penalized. Am I missing something?

11 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

But if the QB sees 12 men on D and snaps the ball right away then the D gets penalized. Am I missing something?

True enough, may be hard for that reason.Β  In which case the rule doesn't matter much anyway, because last year Nix knew Alabama had 12 men on the field and would have just called for the snap. But if there's a wrinkle there, Gus will figure it out.

The question is, can the offense do the same?Β  I feel like if you do it for one side, you have to allow it for the other side as well.

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

The question is, can the offense do the same?Β  I feel like if you do it for one side, you have to allow it for the other side as well.

Can't they already? c

Can't theyΒ line up with say 4 RBs or 3 WRs and run one off before the snap?

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Can't they already? c

Can't theyΒ line up with say 4 RBs or 3 WRs and run one off before the snap?

I know they can not break the huddle with 12 or it is a penalty

Β 

17 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

It’s amazing how many rule changes that Nick Saban is personally responsible for! And they all came after a loss

And only once he got to bama

8 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I know they can not break the huddle with 12 or it is a penalty

Β 

...but they don't have to huddle

Funny, I seem to remember in 2017 Alabama getting away with running a play with 12+ people running on/off the field with no one set, but when the ball was snapped and Jalen Hurts recovered the botched snap, they were rewarded with an Auburn offsides...

Where's our rule change?

On 7/22/2020 at 2:01 PM, Cardin Drake said:

We sort of did this against Ole Miss, where we lined up in a non-standard 10-man defense with Big Kat running off the field, then ran Derrick Brown on at the last possible second on the "Speed Smash", the defensive version of the "Speed Sweep", where the 320lb DT runs in a full speed and crushes the RB catching the pass in the flat.

Β 

8 minutes ago, meh130 said:

We sort of did this against Ole Miss, where we lined up in a non-standard 10-man defense with Big Kat running off the field, then ran Derrick Brown on at the last possible second on the "Speed Smash", the defensive version of the "Speed Sweep", where the 320lb DT runs in a full speed and crushes the RB catching the pass in the flat.

Β 

Interesting. And this will give you the option to keep 12 men on the field and then run one off at the last second.

I don't know which is sweeter, him getting his way onΒ a ruleΒ changeΒ after losing to AU, or him losing to AU after getting his way onΒ a rule change.

Late in the 2004 LSU game weΒ tied it at 9 with about a minute left. Β Vaughn missed the point after (it's weird how much of his legacy involves the plethora of failed attempts against them), but one of their guys jumped then flipped over a linemanΒ into the backfield. Β Flag, retry, ballgame. Β The irony isΒ dink was on the rules committee that made that specific changeΒ during the previous offseason.

WDE!

6 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Interesting. And this will give you the option to keep 12 men on the field and then run one off at the last second.

That may have been my favorite play last season. It is up there with Worm's decapitation of Xavier McKinney in the Iron Bowl. Derrick Brown could have started at cornerback with a D-2 team, he was that athletic.

9 hours ago, TieGrrrr said:

Saban whines and whines until he gets his way, what a loser.

My 1 year old does the same thing. And his record is as good as saban's. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Β 

Β 

Around 2:23:23

Let's give the Nickster some credit... After all UAB was able to capitalize on the rule and they didn't even resort to Barner-levels of trickery or cheat'n.

• 4 weeks later...

The dumbest thing about this is Bamas official page saying it "caused them to lose the game". It just glosses over the fact had AlabamaΒ not gotten the penalty, theyΒ actually had to get the ball back and score. That's just a foregone conclusion in their mind. It also looks at Auburn getting that long field goal in a vacuum, acting as if it didnt occur everything else wouldve stayed exactly the same. They used this same logic in the kick 6 game, just naturally assuming they wouldve won had Chris Davis not scored. Even going into overtime with our kicker advantage and the fact the only scores they had in the 2nd half of that game were long pass plays. They couldnt do s*** against us in the red zone. The Updykes are hands down the dumbest fanbase on earth.Β 

Archived