“What if” scenarios from the past

TAYLORKEETON

On 7/27/2020 at 12:47 AM, passthebiscuits said:

Tre Mason pulls up at the 1/2 yard line. We bleed the clock and push one in to win the natty...or we make a freakin tackle in the secondary on their last drive.

Therezie trips up Chris Davis on the kick 6 or gets called for taunting...and in overtime Bama wins. (Nightmares I’ve actually had.)

Les Miles has one more second on the play clock and beats Auburn on the last play. Gus is fired and NOT Miles.

In Baton Rouge, Miles mismanages the clock. Their QB throws to the endzone and we get two fingers on the ball, knocking it in the air every so briefly so that it lands a second later..:and we win for the first time in BR since FDR or whatnot.

D Brown hands the ball as a lateral to a faster corner on his trip down the field after recovering a fumble last year. 

Pettway doesn’t tear a quad...

Jax State beats us. Mercer beats us. 

i don’t mean all of these to go dark...for some reason they just come out. 

You would know better than I would, but the general sentiment for Pettway being held out in 2017 wasn’t injury related? While typing this, I realize you might be referring to the 2016 injury 

I know Gus needs his lead bell cow, but I don’t think we’re doing much more on that 2016 Alabama team than we did either way. It’d have to be a compound what if, with Sean having two functioning arms instead of one

I’m stuck watching this IB at 3 am wondering why Gus just didn’t die with JF3. You have a ferocious pass rush and a Jeremy that was completely ineffective throwing or running...what’s the worst JF3 could’ve done? Been a 4.2 guy dancing around in the pocket all day until he found a chance to take off??? 

idk how Gus’s brain works man 

11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’m stuck watching this IB at 3 am wondering why Gus just didn’t die with JF3. You have a ferocious pass rush and a Jeremy that was completely ineffective throwing or running...what’s the worst JF3 could’ve done? Been a 4.2 guy dancing around in the pocket all day until he found a chance to take off??? 

idk how Gus’s brain works man 

That is one thing, of many, that I always loved about Spurrier. He wasn't going to watch a QB struggle for long. He didn't hesitate at all to try the next guy. He didn't lose much and when he did it wasn't because he didn't use all the tools in the shed. 

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

That is one thing, of many, that I always loved about Spurrier. He wasn't going to watch a QB struggle for long. He didn't hesitate at all to try the next guy. He didn't lose much and when he did it wasn't because he didn't use all the tools in the shed. 

Gus took that concept but bastardized it in 2015-16 and IMO (MY opinion) 2019. He’ll either ride a guy into a one score loss where all you need is semi competent QB play and then sub him out with the season over OR sub him out mid game then end up with the now back up still finding a way on the field anyway 

basically, he has no concept of managing and developing more than one QB during any given season. There’s no reason....you should take a project QB (I’ll still say that JF3 would’ve been relatively fine if he didn’t run the patented RB at backup QB Gus O) as your QB competition for injury prone 5’11 Sean White and...Jeremy. Why didn’t Gatewood run a real offense in how terrible the 2018 season was??? We all knew Stidham was gone, except Gus. Finally, There’s no (practical) reason why you would concede LSU AND Florida in a year where you arguably have the best DL in football 

it’s simply amazing he’s still employed on the D1 level, much less being given 7M to hire elite coordinators that give him another semi elite season and another competitive loss to LSU and UGA 

7 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

It also would have helped had our guys not gone to Tuscaloosa and played like total piss in the first half.  They were fortunate to only be down 6-0 to a bad bammer team that started Spencer Pennington at QB that day.

It’s always been ironic to me that in one of our very best seasons ever, the game against our biggest rival was completely forgettable. That one has always frustrated me as well, because I’m pretty sure the pollsters were considering us after what we did to the Dawgs.

8 hours ago, WarEagle1982 said:

It also would have helped had our guys not gone to Tuscaloosa and played like total piss in the first half.  They were fortunate to only be down 6-0 to a bad bammer team that started Spencer Pennington at QB that day.

Nah. We never had a chance if those other teams didn't lose. We had a far better resume than Oklahoma any way you cut it. Didn't matter.

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You would know better than I would, but the general sentiment for Pettway being held out in 2017 wasn’t injury related? While typing this, I realize you might be referring to the 2016 injury 

You are right. I should have put Pettway’s “injury” in quotes. 

I’ll stick to just Gus but I’ll start at 2012.  If Gus doesn’t bolt is 2012 bad enough to get Chiz fired?

2013, 2014 if Auburn has a top 40 scoring defense they’re back to back BCS champs

2015 if Sean White comes in the 2nd half of LSU for reps and doesn’t get injured against Ole Miss Auburn finishes 8-4 possibly 9-3 depending on Ole Miss game.

2016 If Gus plays Sean through the entire Clemson game and he once again isn’t injured against Ole Miss Auburn is 10-2 possibly 11-1 with wins over Clemson, UGA and coin flip against Bama.

2017 What if Gus doesn’t run up the middle 12 straight times against LSU?  What if Kerryon doesn’t get hurt?  Clemson the only loss?  Playoff bound?  Gus’s 3rd Natty?

2018 No way to know without knowing the truth about who was running the offense.  What if Gus has allowed the Oline to be recruited correctly?

2019 What if Auburn had an Oline that could establish the run?  Another undefeated Auburn team with a chance for Gus’s 4th Natty?

What if indeed.

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

You are right. I should have put Pettway’s “injury” in quotes. 

Yeah, I dunno. That's one of those things where you really got to consider setting a tone versus doing what makes practical sense. Even though I personally believe Miller and Kam should've been enough with how our D played that night, if you have a back who's relatively comparable to Kerryon and wasn't a widely known malcontent...I would've at least gave him a few snaps. you win that game, you have a whole month for Kerryon to heal, you never have to play Kam again (not like anyone else gets touches with a healthy KJ anyway), and outside of those in the know, there's no one wiser on why Kam left. 

that's my perspective as someone who doesn't know the inner working mechanics though

43 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The back half of 2011 was just as bad. 

Maybe I’m blinded by his 60 yard scamper in the 2010 SEC game but Barrett Trotter was my qb that season.  I guess the Arkansas game did him in.  I had season tickets that year but only remember the Florida game even though I’m sure I was at Ole Miss and Bama.  

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The back half of 2011 was just as bad. 

Yeah. But it is fascinating that we would’ve beaten LSU (in 2012) if Bray had let that punt bounce.

5 hours ago, AUwent said:

Yeah. But it is fascinating that we would’ve beaten LSU (in 2012) if Bray had let that punt bounce.

That was such an AUful game.  Is that the LSU team that beat Bama in the original "game of the century" just to lose to them in the Natty?  Either way total garbage game all around for both teams.  

18 hours ago, Win4AU said:

That was such an AUful game.  Is that the LSU team that beat Bama in the original "game of the century" just to lose to them in the Natty?  Either way total garbage game all around for both teams.  

Nope that was 2011. In which we got destroyed 45-10 in BR.

On 7/26/2020 at 5:22 PM, AUwarrior said:

What if we had been prepared on offense and beat USC to open the '03 season.  It could have changed the tone of that season and been the spark for a Tuberville dynasty.

Maybe. Or the team unity that was built during the JetGate scandal might not have ever happened, and we might have been left with a 9-10 win year in 03 and about the same in 04. The chemistry of that 04 team was pretty well unmatched.

Eh, that 2003 season wasn't defined by that one game. We had an OL coach (and future truck driving magnate) standing on a tight ends coach's shoulders in a Bobby Petrino costume trying to call plays. That dog was never going to hunt. We scored 10 or fewer points five times that season. Lordy, how did we ever think that was going to work?!? 

On 7/28/2020 at 12:27 PM, Win4AU said:

I’ll stick to just Gus but I’ll start at 2012.  If Gus doesn’t bolt is 2012 bad enough to get Chiz fired?

2013, 2014 if Auburn has a top 40 scoring defense they’re back to back BCS champs

2015 if Sean White comes in the 2nd half of LSU for reps and doesn’t get injured against Ole Miss Auburn finishes 8-4 possibly 9-3 depending on Ole Miss game.

2016 If Gus plays Sean through the entire Clemson game and he once again isn’t injured against Ole Miss Auburn is 10-2 possibly 11-1 with wins over Clemson, UGA and coin flip against Bama  I thought Johnson had the better game of all three QB's that night.

2017 What if Gus doesn’t run up the middle 12 straight times against LSU?  What if Kerryon doesn’t get hurt?  Clemson the only loss?  Playoff bound?  Gus’s 3rd Natty?

2018 No way to know without knowing the truth about who was running the offense.  What if Gus has allowed the Oline to be recruited correctly?

2019 What if Auburn had an Oline that could establish the run?  Another undefeated Auburn team with a chance for Gus’s 4th Natty?

What if indeed.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Eh, that 2003 season wasn't defined by that one game. We had an OL coach (and future truck driving magnate) standing on a tight ends coach's shoulders in a Bobby Petrino costume trying to call plays. That dog was never going to hunt. We scored 10 or fewer points five times that season. Lordy, how did we ever think that was going to work?!? 

Yeah thats a good point. You could see how down the team was that next week at GT, but I suppose it wasn't necessarily the USC loss that spooked them. They could probably tell that the offense wasnt going to work.  Really my point should have been what if we had our crap together on offense in '03.  What if Tubs hired a top tier OC  instead of Nall. There was so much talent  on that team. 

Here's another: What if Jetgate was a success and Petrino took over in '04? :)

33 minutes ago, AUwarrior said:

Yeah thats a good point. You could see how down the team was that next week at GT, but I suppose it wasn't necessarily the USC loss that spooked them. They could probably tell that the offense wasnt going to work.  Really my point should have been what if we had our crap together on offense in '03.  What if Tubs hired a top tier OC  instead of Nall. There was so much talent  on that team. 

Here's another: What if Jetgate was a success and Petrino took over in '04? :)

Ok I'm with you now and yeah man, that could've been a much different story.

On 7/27/2020 at 12:54 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I wasnt watching football in 2003, but how do they go about beating USC? and even if they do, how do they translate that to winning the other 4 games they lost? 

At least with USCw, 17 of their points came off TOs. And Obomanu dropped a wide open TD pass.

Archived