National Guard officer says police suddenly moved on Lafayette Square protesters, used ‘excessive force’ before Trump visit

homersapien

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If they don't want to feel some pain, go to the park and write about butterflies. Just watch out for those bees. Bees have stingers and the poor, helpless dears might get stung. Oh, the horror!

What a total jackass you are.  :no:

If it weren't for journalists we wouldn't know what's going on any conflict - riots or wars.

They are brave servants to our freedom, including you.  And many have lost their lives in that service:

"Over the past decade, at least 554 journalists and 49 media workers — a category that includes drivers and interpreters — were killed around the world, according to data collected by the Committee to Protect Journalists.Dec 30, 2019"

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

If it weren't for journalists we wouldn't know what's going on any conflict - riots or wars.

They are brave servants to our freedom, including you.  And many have lost their lives in that service:

"Over the past decade, at least 554 journalists and 49 media workers — a category that includes drivers and interpreters — were killed around the world, according to data collected by the Committee to Protect Journalists.Dec 30, 2019"

i wish titan would review his rule about posting links when some people call you out on it just to waste your time. i knew damn well mikey would not be straight up about this............

14 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

did you read the second article mikey? i told you i am not a member of reddit and those photo's only last a day for those that browse without signing in.

I don't believe three journalists each had an eye shot out. That defies all reason.  Sometimes, no matter what has been written, it pays to stop and do a common sense test. Three people from the entire group of mobs losing an eye would defy odds. Three journalists each losing an eye is simply not to be believed.

You have a simple option. If those those three names existed, they would be all over the internet. Just post the names here.

14 hours ago, homersapien said:

I respect real journalists and what they do. The whiners, however, deserve no respect. If you go into a mob scene to get information, kudos. If you get shot in the butt with a rubber bullet while doing so, shut the hell up, that's part of your chosen job.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

I respect real journalists and what they do. The whiners, however, deserve no respect. If you go into a mob scene to get information, kudos. If you get shot in the butt with a rubber bullet while doing so, shut the hell up, that's part of your chosen job.

Apparently, you don't think covering a riot deserves respect:

"If they don't want to feel some pain, go to the park and write about butterflies. Just watch out for those bees. Bees have stingers and the poor, helpless dears might get stung. Oh, the horror!"

And reporting on violence caused by rioters, or police, or federal agents is not "whining".  It's reporting.

Jerk

23 minutes ago, homersapien said:

And reporting on violence caused by rioters, or police, or federal agents is not "whining".  It's reporting.

Whining about getting caught up in the mess when you intentionally went into the mess is, well, whining.

Why don't you help your soul mate @aubiefifty find a link to the story about those three journalists who had their eyes put out by rubber bullets? Three names would be nice. Here's the best I can find, from none other than the lefty rag, NYT. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/30/us/minneapolis-protests-press.html

"John Elder, a spokesman for the Minneapolis Police, said he was unaware of the incident. (in which ONE reporter claimed she was blinded by a rubber bullet) He said the department has not used rubber bullets for decades."

“If someone believes that we have injured them, we encourage people to contact our Internal Affairs Unit or the Office of Police Conduct Review,” he said in an email."

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Whining about getting caught up in the mess when you intentionally went into the mess is, well, whining.

Why don't you help your soul mate @aubiefifty find a link to the story about those three journalists who had their eyes put out by rubber bullets? Three names would be nice. Here's the best I can find, from none other than the lefty rag, NYT. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/30/us/minneapolis-protests-press.html

"John Elder, a spokesman for the Minneapolis Police, said he was unaware of the incident. (in which ONE reporter claimed she was blinded by a rubber bullet) He said the department has not used rubber bullets for decades."

“If someone believes that we have injured them, we encourage people to contact our Internal Affairs Unit or the Office of Police Conduct Review,” he said in an email."

tell you what dude. if you honestly googled you ran across thousands of pics of injuries like that. the problem is there were too many pics for me to wade through for you to come up with another excuse. they were in there just not all in the same pic. like i said it is on reddit if you want to go dig through all their political threads. i saw it and i am positive. you believe what you want. you denie most of the bad stuff about trump out there anyway. but hell just call me a liar and quit screwihng around because that is your intent. and gfy..............

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

if you honestly googled you ran across thousands of pics of injuries like that.

We aren't talking about thousands of people getting their pinky stepped on in the middle of a riot. We are talking about THREE journalists getting an eye put out. That simply did not happen. Had it happened, there would be front page news about it everywhere we look. It's not there. I'll give you that you were honestly mis-led or mis-read some article, but you must admit that there is no reasonable chance that three journalists were blinded by police in these riots and that news isn't being blared from the rooftops. Had that happened, it wouldn't be hard to find.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

We aren't talking about thousands of people getting their pinky stepped on in the middle of a riot. We are talking about THREE journalists getting an eye put out. That simply did not happen. Had it happened, there would be front page news about it everywhere we look. It's not there. I'll give you that you were honestly mis-led or mis-read some article, but you must admit that there is no reasonable chance that three journalists were blinded by police in these riots and that news isn't being blared from the rooftops. Had that happened, it wouldn't be hard to find.

i saw the pic. and right by it they had another were a journalist had a gas mask where the one eyelet was destroyed and skinned up his forehead but no eye was lost on him. i do appreciate you do not think i am am a liar so i take back my bad words and apologize. i cannot access riddit without an account. the fact remains some on the side of the law have been targeting journalists period.

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

he fact remains some on the side of the law have been targeting journalists period.

The one journalist who claims to have had an eye put out is a well-known lefty activist. So far there has been no verification of this from police, doctors, the hospital she allegedly went to, or any impartial source. She wouldn't be above staging a picture with others standing beside her, all claiming to have been blinded by rubber bullets. I wouldn't believe anything she says without reliable verification.

On 7/30/2020 at 12:09 AM, Mikey said:

Barr didn't get a chance to tell the truth or tell a lie. The embarrassing display of bitterness and hate put on by the Dems would put a hellfire and brimstone traveling preacher to shame.

Political cartoon

It's a shame Barr never got to use all of those tools. The yapping Dumbocrats never shut up. They were preaching their gospel of hate and intolerance instead of asking him questions. Any honest Democrat that watched that would have been hanging his/her head in shame.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

It's a shame Barr never got to use all of those tools. The yapping Dumbocrats never shut up. They were preaching their gospel of hate and intolerance instead of asking him questions. Any honest Democrat that watched that would have been hanging his/her head in shame.

you call the dems dumbocrats but  give the complete idiot trump a pass is pretty rich even for you mikey..

14 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

the complete idiot trump

He did get himself elected President. That makes him smarter than those in the corrupt Obama/Clinton cartel who tried to keep that from happening.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

He did get himself elected President. That makes him smarter than those in the corrupt Obama/Clinton cartel who tried to keep that from happening.

i emailed mrs clinton and gave her your chat name and hanging out at aufam. you know those darn rumors about them. i would look under the bed at night because you guys and even some leftys claim she is the boogie woman. now for the record i just asked her to scare you and give you a big ol kiss but now i am afraid she will not honor any cautions. maybe your russian operatives can protect ya mikey. just be prepared for her to slip you the tongues...........lol

Trump supporters have already condoned children in cages. They have relished peaceful protestors getting attacked, journalists being shot with rubber billets and tear gas. And they’ve cheered on a secret police force kidnapping people off the streets. The tyrannical government they’ve always argued as a reason they need assault rifles is here and instead of standing against it they are cheering it on. No amount of facts and logic will sway them. It’s pointless to try. 

19 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

Trump supporters have already condoned children in cages. They have relished peaceful protestors getting attacked, journalists being shot with rubber billets and tear gas. And they’ve cheered on a secret police force kidnapping people off the streets. The tyrannical government they’ve always argued as a reason they need assault rifles is here and instead of standing against it they are cheering it on. No amount of facts and logic will sway them. It’s pointless to try. 

Should the assault rifles come out, it will be to clear the streets of the rioters and looters, who are nothing but domestic terrorists. Hopefully the federal government will perform that chore before the citizenry has to take on the task.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Should the assault rifles come out, it will be to clear the streets of the rioters and looters, who are nothing but domestic terrorists. Hopefully the federal government will perform that chore before the citizenry has to take on the task.

Case in point, guys. Trump supporters don’t have a problem with people protesting being gunned down . They aren’t any different that those who supported Hitler and the Nazi’s. Trump has them defending  his authoritarian regime. 

1 minute ago, GiveEmElle said:

Case in point, guys. Trump supporters don’t have a problem with people protesting being gunned down . They aren’t any different that those who supported Hitler and the Nazi’s. Trump has them defending  his authoritarian regime. 

Americans have a right to peaceful protest. They have no right to destroy, loot and vandalize. Americans also have a right to protect their lives and property from hoodlums.

The people who are going to get hurt if they don't stop are not peaceful protestors, they are domestic terrorists.

Just now, Mikey said:

Americans have a right to peaceful protest. They have no right to destroy, loot and vandalize. Americans also have a right to protect their lives and property from hoodlums.

The people who are going to get hurt if they don't stop are not peaceful protestors, they are domestic terrorists.

Here we have the Trump supporter regurgitating talking points from right wing propaganda outlets that insinuate that the protestors were “hoodlums” and “domestic terrorists.” 
Propaganda was a successful technique used by Hitler and the Nazi’s. Trump and right wing media have used it successfully as well. They’ve convinced his supporters that it’s perfectly fine to gun down protestors in the streets because they are alleged terrorists. Due process is no longer necessary. 

7 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

Here we have the Trump supporter regurgitating talking points from right wing propaganda outlets that insinuate that the protestors were “hoodlums” and “domestic terrorists.” 

Don't you have a television? Those news videos of cities burning and looters breaking out windows and carrying items off weren't some photoshop  stuff.

As far as "Trump supporter", I'm badly disappointed in President Trump for his mis-handling of these rioters. The mess in Portland has been going on for over two months now. After three days, when it became clear that the foolish mayor of Portland wasn't going to take appropriate action, the President should have federalized the National Guard and cleared the streets of these hoodlums. Tear gas, rubber bullets, armored personnel carriers, whatever it took to protect the population, businesses and home owners from these Marxist thugs.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Don't you have a television? Those news videos of cities burning and looters breaking out windows and carrying items off weren't some photoshop  stuff.

As far as "Trump supporter", I'm badly disappointed in President Trump for his mis-handling of these rioters. The mess in Portland has been going on for over two months now. After three days, when it became clear that the foolish mayor of Portland wasn't going to take appropriate action, the President should have federalized the National Guard and cleared the streets of these hoodlums. Tear gas, rubber bullets, armored personnel carriers, whatever it took to protect the population, businesses and home owners from these Marxist thugs.

Whatever happened to "states rights"? :dunno:

You're OK with a tyrannical federal government as long as they are on your side.

Hypocrite.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Hint:  Any sort of violence or destruction, anywhere, is going to make the "front page" everywhere in every news outlet. Always.  "If it bleeds it leads".

That doesn't mean it's a fair or general characterization of the literally thousands of peaceful protests that were occurring throughout the country in both large and small cities. 

It it were, we would actually be having the sort of civil unrest that Trump is trying to convince you we have.  We're not.  Most (thinking) people realize that.

So what is it with conservatives that makes them soooo gullible? :dunno:

And if a given city really needs federal help, it's up to them to ask for it. I mean, aren't you the guys who are always touting federalism and state's rights???  

Trump wanted a Portland-style war in Chicago — in a second term, he'll do it

Trump's team convinced him there'd be "extreme backlash" — but in a second term, he wouldn't care about that

Heather Digby Parton
August 3, 2020 1:19PM (UTC)

Donald Trump isn't the first president to fail on a grand scale, and he certainly isn't the first to test the boundaries of the system to see what he can get away with. But he is unique in certain respects. The full panoply of grotesque personality defects and openly corrupt behaviors is something we've never seen before in someone who ascended to the most powerful office in the land. People will study this era for a very long time to try to figure out just what cultural conditions allowed such an advanced, wealthy nation to end up with such an ignorant, unqualified leader.

But that's actually less interesting in some ways that how party officials came to support him so unquestioningly and why so few career bureaucrats and civil servants have publicly stood up to him. What kind of system produces that kind of loyalty for a man who never had the support of more than 45% of the country, and who won by virtue of an anachronistic electoral system that allowed him to take office with nearly 3 million fewer votes than his opponent?

Trump may be a uniquely unfit leader, but the party that has backed him without question is not unique. In fact, the last Republican administration showed many of the same characteristics. Robert Draper's new book "To Start a War: How the Bush Administration Took America Into Iraq" reminds us that just 17 years ago, in the wake of the 9/11 attacks, the George W. Bush administration used propaganda and disinformation to persuade the American people to go along with a war that made no logical sense on its face.

As almost the entire world looked on in astonishment, the U.S. — with the shameful cooperation of the U.K. under Tony Blair — invaded a country that had no involvement in that attack. A certain faction within the administration had come into office with the intention of finding a reason to do that if they could. They seized the moment, cooked up some flimsy evidence, constructed a convoluted rationale and just went for it.

Draper goes into some detail about how the administration successfully brought the bureaucracy into line, illustrating the fact that it tends to serve any president, even when individuals may stand up or resist. In fact, he pretty much blows up the idea of an unaccountable "deep state," showing instead that it's pretty much impotent to stop a determined president from using the powerful levers of government when he wants to.

Trump hasn't attacked another country, thank goodness, although I think that's been a matter of luck more than anything else. We came extremely close last January when he decided to assassinate Iran's top general right before his impeachment trial was about to start. Iran didn't take the bait and we avoided that disaster.

As it turns out, the inevitable Trump catastrophe happened right here at home with his tragically inept management of the COVID-18 pandemic and subsequent economic crisis. But he has certainly done everything he can to stoke a war at home this summer as people took to the streets to protest the murder of George Floyd and show support for the Black Lives Matter movement. If Americans weren't already overwhelmed from the other two crises and Trump was even slightly more skilled, he might have pulled it off as deftly as Bush and Cheney.

We know from his phone call with the governors back in June that he believes the government should "dominate" the streets and throw demonstrators in jail to show who's boss. And this should be no surprise. As far back as 1989, Trump made his beliefs clear with the disgusting Central Park Five full-page ad. From the moment he took office he has embraced the most authoritarian dictators in the world, congratulating them for their violent crackdowns on their own citizens.

Over the past several weeks Trump and his top henchmen, Attorney General Bill Barr and acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf, directed a disastrous paramilitary operation in Portland, Oregon, ostensibly to "protect" a federal building from protesters. This article in the Daily Beast by Asawin Suebsaeng and Erin Banco reveals chilling details of how Trump wanted to expand that operation into Chicago, and potentially other cities:

According to three people familiar with the president's private remarks, Trump previously envisioned an ostentatious, camera-ready show of force. He wanted to go after what he saw as violent gang leaders, flush them out of hiding in ways that would have them "shaking in their boots" like they never had before, and have alleged perpetrators marched out in front of the news cameras. Violent crime has long plagued Chicago, and murders are spiking to highs not seen in decades. But Trump insisted that with the right leader, and the right muscle, crime there could be reduced "very quickly."

The president said he wanted something similar to what his administration has done in Portland, an ongoing melee between protesters and rioters and unmarked federal authorities. Trump has been closely monitoring the conflict — largely on his favorite channel, Fox News — and trumpeting it as a sign of his own supposed strength.

Some senior members of the White House team reportedly realized that such an assault "would almost certainly result in extreme backlash and hellishly bad PR," so they ended up scaling back the plan to "Operation Legend," which is simply an expansion of earlier programs to lend federal investigative help to local jurisdictions.

This was described to the Daily Beast reporters as a pattern in which Trump demands "large-scale, draconian, and potentially disastrous action, with senior officials actively working to temper or inflame, those desires":

"There was rarely a time I spoke to him about violent crime when two things didn't come up: Number One, that it's all happening in Democrat-run cities, with Chicago being shorthand for that kind of [blight]," said one former senior Trump administration official. "And Number Two, if it were up to him, we would return to the old days where it was eye-for-an-eye, tooth-for-a-tooth — or we would forget about proportionality altogether. He would talk about lining up drug dealers and gang members in front of a firing squad ... If it were solely up to him, that is how the country would solve crime in Democrat-run cities [such as Chicago and Detroit]."

That's his impulse and it's been more or less kept in check, often by his own short attention span. Trump tweets something, and it makes him feel better for the moment. But what about the rank and file, the lower levels of officialdom? What do they do?

Judging from the Portland operation, they go along. Some go even further. Just this week the acting DHS undersecretary for intelligence and analysis, Brian Murphy, was removed from his job after he was found compiling "intelligence reports" about journalists and protesters in Portland. According to the Washington Post, "Murphy tried to broaden the definition of violent protesters in Portland, in a way that some officials felt was intended to curry favor with the White House," calling them "violent antifa anarchists."

If Trump wins the validation he craves by being elected to a second term, true believers like Murphy will be further empowered up and down the line. And we can expect that Trump's own Deep State will be more than happy to implement his program. It wouldn't be the first time.

https://www.salon.com/2020/08/03/trump-wanted-a-portland-style-war-in-chicago--in-a-second-term-hell-do-it/

Archived