Auburn supporting Joey Gatewood

McLoofus

Hope Joey G kills it at UK....except against Auburn. Wish we could have seen him do his thing at AU just to see what he really could do but, c’est la vie

I don't think I've wanted to see a guy succeed more since Jeremy. He got dealt an unfortunate hand, but he can cultivate his own Cam type comeback in that offense. Stoops has done a good job of developing just enough passing for guys who could spin it far worse than Joey. Terry Wilson was great alongside Snell a couple seasons ago, hes going to be stiff competition.

Id love to be able to chime in on a Joey heisman campaign years later, maybe get his jersey. we'll see 

Probably a lot to do with recruiting.  Don’t want a bad rap for being a difficult especially when the shoe is on the other foot next time.

10 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Probably a lot to do with recruiting.  Don’t want a bad rap for being a difficult especially when the shoe is on the other foot next time.

I would say that it can have a positive effect on recruiting, but I don't think that's the primary motivation. I could be wrong, but I've come to believe that Gus genuinely wants the best for these guys. Well, as long as it doesn't directly interfere with what he wants to do with his team on the field. 

Thanks for posting this.  Happy to see we are helping Joey attain immediate eligibility.

23 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I hope Joey does a bang up job @ Kentucky. Well not when UK plays Auburn. 🦅

I hope he lights Auburn up and Auburn has to squeak out the win in OT.  Auburn fans really won't see him play in any other games and we need to be reminded of how dumb we were last season.

I am glad we took the high road and gave him the ok. Hope he does well but in reading a UK site not a sure thing he will be the starter.

1 hour ago, The Freak said:

I hope he lights Auburn up and Auburn has to squeak out the win in OT.  Auburn fans really won't see him play in any other games and we need to be reminded of how dumb we were last season.

There were moments in games when I really wanted to see Gatewood come in for a struggling Nix and show what he could do. But are you saying that it was dumb for Nix to ever start? I don't know that I can go there.

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

There were moments in games when I really wanted to see Gatewood come in for a struggling Nix and show what he could do. But are you saying that it was dumb for Nix to ever start? I don't know that I can go there.

I'm not saying Nix should not have started.  We just missed opportunities to put in Gatewood that could have changed the outcome of the games not to mention the outcome of his time as a Tiger.

1 hour ago, The Freak said:

I'm not saying Nix should not have started.  We just missed opportunities to put in Gatewood that could have changed the outcome of the games not to mention the outcome of his time as a Tiger.

I won't argue with that. That's pretty much how I felt.

10 hours ago, The Freak said:

my favorite post in the near decade ive been on this site

3 hours ago, alexava said:

I will forever pull for Joey. I totally understood his decision. He handled it with pure class. 

All parties involved did apparently. It didn’t work out, is what it is. 

On 7/29/2020 at 10:31 AM, The Freak said:

I’d rather be reminded that Kevin Steele continues to have consistent success, and is able to field a top-10 defense across the board. 

On 7/29/2020 at 9:31 AM, The Freak said:

Not us. The coaching staff. They mismanaged the hell out of him. But I will say eventually, he or Nix would’ve had to transfer. Both our starting QBs in my eyes. 

Really rooting for Joey, it’s bittersweet. I think Bo is a guy we talk about long after his playing career is over, but JG in games where we needed a spark really could’ve made for a special season. You have 2 QBs with those unique skill sets, use them. Just really think with our D had we used JG effectively we would’ve been in the playoffs.

Honestly, Joey didn't look ready at all and Bo has more ability to read defenses.   Gus can't get a good 'feel' for the game and stuck with Bo when he should have given Joey snaps at UF

.But, Gus knew Joey wasn't ready, so I give Gus some credit there while criticizing his inability to develop players (again).  Let's not all believe Joey would have outplayed Bo.  Just look at how Bo bounced back for the bama game.   Not many  QBs could have done that, much less a freshman QB.

It would not have been pretty to give Joey a lot of snaps last year because of his prep. 

However, I love how he loved Auburn and recruited so hard for us.  I will pull for him.

22 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Honestly, Joey didn't look ready at all and Bo has more ability to read defenses.   Gus can't get a good 'feel' for the game and stuck with Bo when he should have given Joey snaps at UF

.But, Gus knew Joey wasn't ready, so I give Gus some credit there while criticizing his inability to develop players (again).  Let's not all believe Joey would have outplayed Bo.  Just look at how Bo bounced back for the bama game.   Not many  QBs could have done that, much less a freshman QB.

It would not have been pretty to give Joey a lot of snaps last year because of his prep. 

However, I love how he loved Auburn and recruited so hard for us.  I will pull for him.

Nobody is saying JG would’ve outplayed Bo, but it would have taken some pressure off of a true FR QB. He def should’ve gotten more chances in short yardage than he did. JG also played a decent amount of WR in highschool, he could’ve been implemented way more into the offense than he did. With Gus’ love for trick plays and the window dressing I’m just still confused why we didn’t use a guy of his skill set more often. Also didn’t help that Gus said JG was pretty much unstoppable inside the 20 but made no real effort to use him there

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Bo went 50% versus alabama

Bo made some big throws, etc vs bama. This one side or the other thing is what the problem is. Both of them paired together could’ve helped this team, I honestly think had we used the UF model, with our D we would’ve been in the playoff 

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

Bo made some big throws, etc vs bama. This one side or the other thing is what the problem is. Both of them paired together could’ve helped this team, I honestly think had we used the UF model, with our D we would’ve been in the playoff 

I think he had a few, I think he played decently. I don't think it'd be fair to say it was more than decent, esp. with the context that Bama gave up significantly more through the air than Bo got, when facing good passing QBs. Im not denying anyone's post in this thread specifically, he's just been given ALOT of credit for that game. 

Archived