Auburn supporting Joey Gatewood

McLoofus

I do agree that playing Joey more would've made alot of sense (that shouldn't be saying much). Cannon arm, can make any throw, best runner on the team, I would say that description of a player did deserve more than the ~10 significant snaps he got

12 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think he had a few, I think he played decently. I don't think it'd be fair to say it was more than decent, esp. with the context that Bama gave up significantly more through the air than Bo got, when facing good passing QBs. Im not denying anyone's post in this thread specifically, he's just been given ALOT of credit for that game. 

He made some really good throws in that game, he also added 44 yards rushing which helped extend drives. Did he play a top tier level game, no, but I think he still deserves credit Bc I think he played solid. That being said my point still stands and I’ve said it since Bo was named the starter, running Bo and JG I think would’ve helped Bo and the offense as a whole out tremendously, and even tho JG is gone my thoughts on the topic remain the same. I’m not in the camp of saying one is better than the other, I think both would’ve complimented each other well, had we had someone running the offense that could’ve realized that.

4 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

He made some really good throws in that game, he also added 44 yards rushing which helped extend drives. Did he play a top tier level game, no, but I think he still deserves credit Bc I think he played solid. That being said my point still stands and I’ve said it since Bo was named the starter, running Bo and JG I think would’ve helped Bo and the offense as a whole out tremendously, and even tho JG is gone my thoughts on the topic remain the same. I’m not in the camp of saying one is better than the other, I think both would’ve complimented each other well, had we had someone running the offense that could’ve realized that.

I agree with all your points about having two QBs should've been the strategy from the jump. And there were two burner games after Oregon for Gus to figure that out. Very rigid guy

You can support JG without bashing or making this about Bo Nix. IMO, neither one of them were put in the best situations majority of the time due to the adults in the room. I expect both QBs to succeed with the personnel and coaching afforded to them at the moment.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

You can support JG without bashing or making this about Bo Nix. IMO, neither one of them were put in the best situations majority of the time due to the adults in the room. I expect both QBs to succeed with the personnel and coaching afforded to them at the moment.

Amen and amen. I’m a huge fan of both, I think they would’ve complimented each other so well with them both being young QB’s with different skill sets, and leader/team first personalities. It just almost makes me sick thinking about what could have been.

Two quick points - Bo was not a 'mental midget' or show he wasn't ready for the big stage vs bama.   After the tough loss and poor play vs UF and the loss to UGA, it would be easy to not have the confidence to play well enough to beat bama.  And he made some great throws....and missed some.  All as s true freshman.  I am proud of him being at Auburn for sure.

As for Joey - I blame Gus for not having a feel for the game and momentum any more.  All of us could see Bo needed to skip a series and stand beside (Gus? Or Chip? Or Aubie) for a series at UF and let Gatewood have some snaps.  Gus did not set Bo up for success (audibles? At Florida Field?).   Gus was an idiot.  

Like it was said - Joey should have seen real time in game 2 and when Bo struggled.   "Blame yourself" Gus, could have had them both working like Caddy and Ronnie.

Gus was a great OC.   And Maybe Chiz deserves more credit than he gets for 2009 and 2010.

10 hours ago, DAG said:

Why I like this dude ^^^

football is a team sport. they should have done better with joey. i wish the best for joey and i hope he lights it up. one thing tho....if joey excels then the gus haters will be out in force. but i have seen championship teams with great backup QB's. if bo heaven forbid ever got hurt we could have had a high quality backup. this keeps lurking in the back of my mind.

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

football is a team sport. they should have done better with joey. i wish the best for joey and i hope he lights it up. one thing tho....if joey excels then the gus haters will be out in force. but i have seen championship teams with great backup QB's. if bo heaven forbid ever got hurt we could have had a high quality backup. this keeps lurking in the back of my mind.

JG isn't a back up though. I think it really wouldn't have mattered at the end. One of the two would've transferred eventually. I am more mad at the fact that Gus led him astray. I have no problem with you choosing your one and only QB, if you are open about it to the other. It seemed like Gus led JG to believe he would have an adequate chance to win the starting position and/or have packages available to him.  

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think my hate level for how things went down with Joey here will go up any if he succeeds at Kentucky. We already know that Gus should have given him more chances in winnable games that we lost because of a dysfunctional offense, with Florida being the big one. Gus screwed several players that day and screwed the whole team as a result. He knows it, too. 

As long as he lets Chad Morris do his job whenever we play football again, then we know he's learning from his mistakes and evolving into a better coach. That's all I ask of him. Keep improving. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

JG isn't a back up though. I think it really wouldn't have mattered at the end. One of the two would've transferred eventually. I am more mad at the fact that Gus led him astray. I have no problem with you choosing your one and only QB, if you are open about it to the other. It seemed like Gus led JG to believe he would have an adequate chance to win the starting position and/or have packages available to him.  

This. He promised Joey- and the fans- that he'd be part of the game plan. When it was clearly time for Gus to deliver on that promise- because it would have given his team the best chance of winning- he literally yanked the dude's jersey to keep him off the field. 

It should have been a Leak + Tebow setup. Instead it was a Tebow + Cam setup, except Cam didn't even get hurt or have any off-field issues. 

If JG does not get immediate eligibility he should file a law suit. Especially since the NC2A just have Tua’s little brother immediate eligibility at Maryland after only 3 months.

On 8/4/2020 at 7:20 AM, aubiefifty said:

Don't think there's any chance Joey would've stayed as a backup either way. It was posted quite often back this time last year, but Gus's best chance in terms of maximizing years would've been getting 2 years out of an (ideally elite) Joey and then getting a few out of Bo. That was the ideal scenario for him, not saying that to say Gus should've forced Joey out if he didn't believe in him, just to have both

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Don't think there's any chance Joey would've stayed as a backup either way. It was posted quite often back this time last year, but Gus's best chance in terms of maximizing years would've been getting 2 years out of an (ideally elite) Joey and then getting a few out of Bo. That was the ideal scenario for him, not saying that to say Gus should've forced Joey out if he didn't believe in him, just to have both

the old ball coach used two qb's a lot. not sure if that is a great example as he dictated a lot of his subs by how mad he was....lol

8 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

If JG does not get immediate eligibility he should file a law suit. Especially since the NC2A just have Tua’s little brother immediate eligibility at Maryland after only 3 months.

Still trying to figure out why the NCAA is giving out so many waivers, especially when these guys aren't seniors. There might as well be a rule that any player can transfer and play the next year, as I can't see any reason now for the NCAA to block a waiver.

If this is COVID logic, still hard to figure out...especially if some players are opting out of playing this year. No reason for NCAA to grant a waiver because of COVID..

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Still trying to figure out why the NCAA is giving out so many waivers, especially when these guys aren't seniors. There might as well be a rule that any player can transfer and play the next year, as I can't see any reason now for the NCAA to block a waiver.

If this is COVID logic, still hard to figure out...especially if some players are opting out of playing this year. No reason for NCAA to grant a waiver because of COVID..

I could care less if student athletes transfer or not.  But what I do care about is this pattern of high profile student athletes transferring to big name schools and getting favoritism for immediate eligibility while legitimate cases  get denied. I just want it to be fare for all athletes, not just the ones whose families have money to hire a lawyer (Tongaviola's) and can scare the NC2A into a quick decision in their favor while others play the waiting game and then get denied.

Archived