Jump to content


Null



WOW is this what to expect from auburn for 2020?


Recommended Posts

Ohio State football attendance limited to 20 percent, face coverings required and no tailgating for 2020

By Nathan Baird, cleveland.com

5-6 minutes

Capacity at Ohio Stadium in 2020 will be capped at 20 percent, according to a letter Ohio State athletics sent to football season ticket holders on Tuesday.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- If Ohio State football plays games at Ohio Stadium in 2020, it will do so at 20 % capacity.

The athletic department made that announcement to season ticket holders on Tuesday, along with several other restrictions for fans attending games this fall.

The guidelines were deemed necessary due to the COVID-19 pandemic that already triggered the cancellation of the Big Ten’s non-conference fall sports contests and has threatened games being played at all this fall.

“While no final decision has been made regarding the 2020 football season, the Department of Athletics has been working diligently with university leaders, public health experts and government officials to create game day plans that protect the health, safety and well-being of our student-athletes, staff, faculty and fans,” the letter read.

According to the letter, face coverings will be mandatory for all fans in attendance, and physical distancing will be implemented. Tailgating will not be allowed for the 2020 season, and the traditional “Skull Session” pregame festivities at St. John’s Arena will not be held. Concessions inside Ohio Stadium will be limited.

Ohio Stadium has a capacity of roughly 105,000, so a 20 % cap would mean about 21,000 fans per game. An Ohio State athletics spokesperson said student tickets will “absolutely” remain a part of the reduced capacity.

The letter said season ticket holders who previously purchased 1-10 tickets can retain a maximum of two tickets, those purchasing 11-20 can retain a maximum of four and those purchasing more than 20 can retain a maximum of eight.

Season ticket holders who opt out of attending games in 2020 will not lose their priority standing for future ticketing. They have until Monday to opt in for the season.

Those who opt out can receive a refund, receive credit toward future ticket purchases, or donate their payment to support student-athlete scholarships. Those who choose to roll over their payment or make a charitable contribution will receive bonus points towards their 2021 seat selection.

Ohio State also said it reserves the right to refund orders if necessary.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said in May that his department was gaming scenarios in which capacity could be in the 20-22,000 range. He later clarified that capacity could reach 40-50,000 if distancing guidelines and other local restrictions were loosened.

However, Franklin County, of which Columbus is the county seat, currently requires face coverings by mandate of Gov. Mike DeWine. The city has seen a 220 percent rise in COVID-19 cases since reopening on June 1.

The White House Coronavirus Task Force designated Columbus as a potential coronavirus “hot spot.”

Ohio State reported $50.5 million in football ticket revenue for 2018-19 — the most recent season for which data was available — and an average of 53.04 million over the past five seasons. It is the single-largest contribution from one sport to the overall Ohio State athletics budget.

The Buckeyes already were forgoing two football home games due to the Big Ten’s decision to play only conference games in 2020. Ohio State currently has five Big Ten home games scheduled, but it is not yet known if the conference will alter the schedule in terms of opponents or number of games.

The coronavirus pandemic already wiped out Ohio State’s spring practices after one week. The Buckeyes’ voluntary workouts were also interrupted by a spike in positive tests among athletes.

Edited by aubiefifty
Link to post
Share on other sites




6 hours ago, jared52 said:

JHS at 20% is over 17000 people. No way they let that many people in one place in this situation. 

I was going to say OSU had more people coming into under this percentage; however, it's important to remember how congested everything is around the stadium. I never been to Columbus but I figure they can actually spread 21000 people out pretty well. even 17K here would have people shoulder to shoulder in the Student Center or on the greens, and in the town too

Link to post
Share on other sites

there's colleges in the SEC getting roughed up just from summer students. EAMC in Lee County is getting the Apollo Creed right now. it'd be a form of genocide to attract thousands more on top of the near 30K that'll becoming back for classes 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I was going to say OSU had more people coming into under this percentage; however, it's important to remember how congested everything is around the stadium. I never been to Columbus but I figure they can actually spread 21000 people out pretty well. even 17K here would have people shoulder to shoulder in the Student Center or on the greens, and in the town too

I know nothing of Columbus, I’m just speaking about AU and the rest of the SEC. I bet Ohio State ends up lowering that 20%.

Edited by jared52
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been wondering why the pros are not allowing a few thousand fans into the stadiums. It seems you could reasonably social distance and spread people out. If they actually would adhere to the rules is another matter but seems doable. 

So i wonder if whatever is making the pros keep the stadiums empty will also apply to colleges. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I've been wondering why the pros are not allowing a few thousand fans into the stadiums. It seems you could reasonably social distance and spread people out. If they actually would adhere to the rules is another matter but seems doable. 

So i wonder if whatever is making the pros keep the stadiums empty will also apply to colleges. 

Might be that only a few thousand fans doesn't justify the expense- concessions, security, sanitation, whatever else- of having fans at all? I mean, maybe you can scale that stuff down based on attendance, but I wouldn't be surprised if some costs are all or nothing. Totally spitballing here. Good question.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jared52 said:

I know nothing of Columbus, I’m just speaking about AU and the rest of the SEC. I bet Ohio State ends up lowering that 20%.

well its not even a problem that most of the SEC would have quite the same way. The crowd around the stadium in this town has to be more dense than every other school, or at least compared to the schools that actually have to worry about fans wanting to watch their games

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Might be that only a few thousand fans doesn't justify the expense- concessions, security, sanitation, whatever else- of having fans at all? I mean, maybe you can scale that stuff down based on attendance, but I wouldn't be surprised if some costs are all or nothing. Totally spitballing here. Good question.

I feel like having fans but not having concessions is enough of a reason alone to not go through with it. The aspect of bathrooms, is something alot of people aren't looking at either. All it takes is one jerkoff to take his mask off at the urinals or at the sink and there you go

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 5:18 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I feel like having fans but not having concessions is enough of a reason alone to not go through with it. The aspect of bathrooms, is something alot of people aren't looking at either. All it takes is one jerkoff to take his mask off at the urinals or at the sink and there you go

Trust me, COVID is pretty low on the list of things I'm worried about catching in public restrooms 😬

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve tried to watch MLB and NBA with no fans. I figured I was so starved for sports I could do it. But I can’t. The safety risk isn’t worth it and turning on the Iron Bowl, or any other game and seeing an mostly empty stadium with cardboard cutouts and sound effects just wouldn’t work for me. I hope they roll it all back to the winter. 

Edited by Gowebb11
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’ve tried to watch MLB and NBA with no fans. I figured I was so starved for sports I could do it. But I can’t. The safety risk isn’t worth it and turning on the Iron Bowl, or any other game and seeing an mostly empty stadium with cardboard cutouts and sound effects just wouldn’t work for me. I hope they roll it all back to the winter. 

I would definitely agree that MLB was doomed the second I saw the product without fans. It's awful (to me) anyway, but seeing no feedback after a homer..ugh. I love CBB, but I don't know how enjoyable it's going to be to watch teams I'm not a fan of. The college environment hides alot of flaws with the quality of that product. CFB and NBA are just incredible products that I know I'll enjoy regardless, but I can certainly see why someone wouldn't be able to stomach them silent either. Imagine a Kick 6 without any fans lol 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’ve tried to watch MLB and NBA with no fans. I figured I was so starved for sports I could do it. But I can’t. The safety risk isn’t worth it and turning on the Iron Bowl, or any other game and seeing an mostly empty stadium with cardboard cutouts and sound effects just wouldn’t work for me. I hope they roll it all back to the winter. 

Don't remember where or with whom I previously discussed, but they pointed out commercial breaks and such. With the big 3 American sports there is just sooooo much stoppage. There's less actual game play than there is empty spaces between the action. That's where the fans and bands and such come in. And that's going to be a constant reminder that things are weird and maybe a little sad. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Don't remember where or with whom I previously discussed, but they pointed out commercial breaks and such. With the big 3 American sports there is just sooooo much stoppage. There's less actual game play than there is empty spaces between the action. That's where the fans and bands and such come in. And that's going to be a constant reminder that things are weird and maybe a little sad. 

I think it will have a huge impact on the players as well. They thrive on the energy and emotion of the CFB setting. I feel like it will be like watching A-Day for fans, and playing in an A-Day game for the players. As bad as I want the season to happen, I’m not sure it will be near the same product. I hope I am wrong. A terrible thing for fans, players, and students. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’ve tried to watch MLB and NBA with no fans. I figured I was so starved for sports I could do it. But I can’t. The safety risk isn’t worth it and turning on the Iron Bowl, or any other game and seeing an mostly empty stadium with cardboard cutouts and sound effects just wouldn’t work for me. I hope they roll it all back to the winter. 

NBA has been absolutely amazing with no fans. The NBA for as long as I have been alive has always constantly played music during games so I have not even noticed there is no fans besides the visual aspect of it.   On top of that they are pumping in crowd noise to where it really feels like a fun and good atmosphere through the tv screen. Plus a lot of the games have gone down to the last possession and it has been quite enjoyable. Loving it. It has been my sanctuary and happy place the past few days. Desperately needed this kind of entertainment and distraction in life from all the BS going on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I think it will have a huge impact on the players as well. They thrive on the energy and emotion of the CFB setting. I feel like it will be like watching A-Day for fans, and playing in an A-Day game for the players. As bad as I want the season to happen, I’m not sure it will be near the same product. I hope I am wrong. A terrible thing for fans, players, and students. 

Football def thrives off the fans the most for the atmosphere and fan aspect more than any other sport. But some form of football is better than no football so I will gladly accept it and take it. This country desperately needs it's national past time to give us a breather from the every day negativity that we see and hear day in and day out.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang I guess this thread was not really meant for me!!! 😭🙈🙉😂🤣

Screenshot_20200803-083732.png

  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I'm on the opposite end as I think the NBA has done a great job of presenting their product with no fans.  I have no doubt that CFB and the NFL can do the same with the money at their disposal.  Baseball on the other hand just does not work, and I am someone who loves baseball.

Golf has worked really well, because it's been nice watching without hearing some jackass yell "Get in the hole!" after every tee shot.  The European soccer leagues with added crowd noise have looked really good as well.  One thing they did (which would translate well to college football) is that they are using crowd noise from previous meetings of the same two teams.  So all the chants, songs, etc...fit the game.  For college football they could do the same thing so you would have correct band songs and cheers throughout the game.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hqsi99 said:

I guess I'm on the opposite end as I think the NBA has done a great job of presenting their product with no fans.  I have no doubt that CFB and the NFL can do the same with the money at their disposal.  Baseball on the other hand just does not work, and I am someone who loves baseball.

Golf has worked really well, because it's been nice watching without hearing some jackass yell "Get in the hole!" after every tee shot.  The European soccer leagues with added crowd noise have looked really good as well.  One thing they did (which would translate well to college football) is that they are using crowd noise from previous meetings of the same two teams.  So all the chants, songs, etc...fit the game.  For college football they could do the same thing so you would have correct band songs and cheers throughout the game.

WE ON THE SAME PAGE ABOUT THE NBA AND GOLF FAM!!!!!! OMGSH!!! The baba booey  jackasses is what I AM SO SO SO glad to not have to hear currently! They are THE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORST!!!! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hqsi99 said:

The European soccer leagues with added crowd noise have looked really good as well.  One thing they did (which would translate well to college football) is that they are using crowd noise from previous meetings of the same two teams.

Soccer's been great. Part of that is that soccer almost never stops, except now they've got the water break each half. But yeah, the fake crowd noise 100% makes it better for me. You can even forget for small stretches that things aren't normal. 

Haven't gotten to watch NBA yet but I want to. 

I'm not a baseball guy at all so nothing lost there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam Silver is honestly kicking ass TBH. I like the way the NBA has went about this from the get go. I also I have been enjoying the games as of late. The NFL and MLB on the other hand..

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Dang I guess this thread was not really meant for me!!! 😭🙈🙉😂🤣

Screenshot_20200803-083732.png

I am surprised I’m not on that list lol.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...