Auburn Flashback - 2014 South Carolina Game

StatTiger

The 2014 South Carolina game was perhaps Auburn's most thrilling game during the season. Because South Carolina is not considered a major rival of Auburn, many Tiger fans won't value the 2014 meeting. The contest took place on October 25, 2014, with a 5-1 Auburn squad hosting the 4-3 Gamecocks. Steve Spurrier's Gamecocks had become competitive during a 5-year run, compiling the nation's 11th highest win percentage from 2010-2014.

During Auburn's 5-game winning streak to begin the season, the Tiger defense had performed very well. There were some concerns going into the South Carolina game after Auburn surrendered 469-yards and 38 points to Mississippi State. Though Auburn had lost some critical performers on offense from 2013, the 2014 offense appeared to be just as explosive. The Tigers were not as dominating running the football, but they were more balanced with Nick Marshall throwing the football more frequently.

The 2014 South Carolina game ended up being an offensive shootout, with Auburn prevailing 42-35. The Tigers gained 551-yards and scored six touchdowns while the Gamecocks gained 535-yards and five touchdowns. The Auburn defense would continue to struggle the remainder of the season, allowing 489-yards and 38 points per game during their last seven Power-5 games.

Auburn finished the season with an 8-5 record, and South Carolina finished with a 7-6 record. Auburn climbed as high as No. 2 in the Associated Press Poll before finishing the season with a 3-5 record.

https://youtu.be/54lHOj436eE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That was a fun game if you like offense, no doubt. I seem to recall Spurrier was constantly going for it on 4th down, and making it.

15 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

That was a fun game if you like offense, no doubt. I seem to recall Spurrier was constantly going for it on 4th down, and making it.

Constantly going for it on fourth down was the only chance SC had of winning that game and Spurrier had the guts to do it. I miss that guy on the sidelines.

• Like 3

That was back when 3&15 was a gimme for the opposing offense.  What that 2014 team could have been with a good/not great defense.  This game and the TaMu game we’re almost identical with USC getting up by a couple tds only for Auburn to storm back.  I’d actually point to this game being when the wheels started to falloff.  USC was not a good enough team to give Auburn trouble that season.  I’m always amazed how bad Auburn was defensively during and post Chizik.

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

That was back when 3&15 was a gimme for the opposing offense.  What that 2014 team could have been with a good/not great defense.  This game and the TaMu game we’re almost identical with USC getting up by a couple tds only for Auburn to storm back.  I’d actually point to this game being when the wheels started to falloff.  USC was not a good enough team to give Auburn trouble that season.  I’m always amazed how bad Auburn was defensively during and post Chizik.

Well, the weird thing was that they were actually pretty good during Ellis Johnson’s first year. Maybe Chizik’s staff was developing defensive guys but was schematically bad at calling plays and Johnson was good at calling plays but couldn’t develop talent? Im not sold on that explanation per se. I’m just legitimately confused at how 2009-2015 had such bad defenses except a good front 7 in 2010 and a randomly overall good defense in 2013.

Edited by AUFriction

Biggest difference was 2013 had 2 elite pass rushing defensive ends and 2014/2015 did not. Dee Ford graduated after 2013 and Lawson missed 2014 and half of 2015 and was clearly not fully healthy even when he came back in 2015. Statistically 2013 not not that good a defense overall. They were very statistically good in the red zone though. 

On 7/29/2020 at 3:02 PM, StatTiger said:

while the Gamecocks gained 535-yards and five touchdowns. The Auburn defense would continue to struggle the remainder of the season, allowing 489-yards and 38 points per game during their last seven Power-5 games.

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Biggest difference was 2013 had 2 elite pass rushing defensive ends and 2014/2015 did not. Dee Ford graduated after 2013 and Lawson missed 2014 and half of 2015 and was clearly not fully healthy even when he came back in 2015. Statistically 2013 not not that good a defense overall. They were very statistically good in the red zone though. 

We haven't had one since minus Holland's final year.

Man HBC not punting was absolutely awesome. I remember his post game where he just flat lined it to the reporters about it and pulled no punches. Miss that dude on the sidelines and his one liners. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

We haven't had one since minus Holland's final year.

Yeah I agree. Held us back alittle the last few years. Last years d would have been unbelievable with a stud speed rusher or 2. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

Yeah I agree. Held us back alittle the last few years. Last years d would have been unbelievable with a stud speed rusher or 2. 

Frickin' Jibunor smdh

• Like 1