Justin Osbourne Enters Transfer Portal (Update 8/4/20)

DonDraper

Auburn o-lineman Justin Osborne enters transfer portal

By Chris Hummer
8367416.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs
(Photo: Andrew Ivins, 247Sports)

Auburn redshirt freshman offensive lineman Justin Osborne entered the transfer portal Tuesday morning, a source told 247Sports. The 6-foot-4, 280-pounder did not play a game for the Tigers last season. 

Osborne wasn't expected to factor heavily into Auburn's offensive line rotation in 2020, though the staff was high on him for the future thanks to his ability to play tackle or guard. Starting center  Nick Brahms spoke highly of Osborne's potential earlier this offseason. 

“He has the talent, and if he can stay focused, he'll be a great ballplayer, too," Brahms said.  "I want that from him. He's got a lot of talent, and I don't think he knows it. Him and Keiondre Jones as well. I'm looking forward to them. They've definitely shown themselves and proved how well they can do.”

Osborne came to Auburn as the No. 512 overall prospect in the 2019 class, according to the 247Sports Composite. He picked the Tigers over offers from Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Michigan and many others. Osborne was committed to TCU for the early part of his recruitment, but he flipped to Auburn in the summer ahead of his senior year. 

A Texas native, Osborne started his high school career at Flower Mound Marcus High School. However, he transferred to IMG Academy in Florida for his senior year of high school. 

The NCAA introduced the portal on Oct. 15, 2018, providing athletes a path to explore their options. Players do not need to ask permission from their coaching staff in order to transfer. They merely need to request that compliance enter their name. Usually, it takes 24-48 hours for a player to appear following their request. Schools are free to contact a player without restriction once their name appears in the portal.

While a player entering their name in the transfer portal means they intend to explore their options, it does not necessarily mean they will leave. A player is free to withdraw his name at any time. However, schools are under no obligation to keep a player on scholarship once they enter the portal.

The first portal cycle saw 1,942 FBS players enter in the initial calendar year of its existence, per a source.

1 hour ago, DonDraper said:

Anyone heard about him transferring yet? orr

Have you heard something and that is why you are asking?

Offensive Tackle?!  He may start with the depth we have right now.  Troxell is a hard sneeze from tearing another ACL at this point.

16 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Have you heard something and that is why you are asking?

Saw it on one of the players snapchats where they said he will land on his feet wherever he lands next 

Auburn o-lineman Justin Osborne enters transfer portal

By Chris Hummer
8367416.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs
(Photo: Andrew Ivins, 247Sports)

Auburn redshirt freshman offensive lineman Justin Osborne entered the transfer portal Tuesday morning, a source told 247Sports. The 6-foot-4, 280-pounder did not play a game for the Tigers last season. 

Osborne wasn't expected to factor heavily into Auburn's offensive line rotation in 2020, though the staff was high on him for the future thanks to his ability to play tackle or guard. Starting center  Nick Brahms spoke highly of Osborne's potential earlier this offseason. 

“He has the talent, and if he can stay focused, he'll be a great ballplayer, too," Brahms said.  "I want that from him. He's got a lot of talent, and I don't think he knows it. Him and Keiondre Jones as well. I'm looking forward to them. They've definitely shown themselves and proved how well they can do.”

Osborne came to Auburn as the No. 512 overall prospect in the 2019 class, according to the 247Sports Composite. He picked the Tigers over offers from Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Michigan and many others. Osborne was committed to TCU for the early part of his recruitment, but he flipped to Auburn in the summer ahead of his senior year. 

A Texas native, Osborne started his high school career at Flower Mound Marcus High School. However, he transferred to IMG Academy in Florida for his senior year of high school. 

The NCAA introduced the portal on Oct. 15, 2018, providing athletes a path to explore their options. Players do not need to ask permission from their coaching staff in order to transfer. They merely need to request that compliance enter their name. Usually, it takes 24-48 hours for a player to appear following their request. Schools are free to contact a player without restriction once their name appears in the portal.

While a player entering their name in the transfer portal means they intend to explore their options, it does not necessarily mean they will leave. A player is free to withdraw his name at any time. However, schools are under no obligation to keep a player on scholarship once they enter the portal.

The first portal cycle saw 1,942 FBS players enter in the initial calendar year of its existence, per a source.

• ellitor changed the title to Justin Osbourne Enters Transfer Portal (Update 8/4/20)

I wish him the very best. It will be a loss in the depth chart but from what I read he was not going to be in the starting rotation. OL recruiting for AU over the last decade has been something else... someone on here should write a book. 

On 7/30/2020 at 2:58 PM, DonDraper said:

Osborne wasn't expected to factor heavily into Auburn's offensive line rotation in 2020, though the staff was high on him for the future thanks to his ability to play tackle or guard.

Based on Auburn's offensive line play over the last few years, if you are told you are not expected to factor into Auburn's offensive line rotation....well...perhaps you should shift over to punter or tryout for Auburn's bowling team.

48 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Wow. Shout out to @DonDraper.

This one feels to me like another result of the coaching change.

Top 30 Draper GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

And maybe he was getting passed over even with the JUCO or true Freshman recruited by , who may have better chance in Bicknell and Morris' offensive line?

Good to see the Auburn/IMG curse is alive and well. We have absolutely no luck at all down there with those dudes. He is the only one I believe we have ever gotten and go figure he transfers out.

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And maybe he was getting passed over even with the JUCO or true Freshman recruited by , who may have better chance in Bicknell and Morris' offensive line?

Passed over, different skill set, not meshing personality-wise, some combination of all plus other things... 

Could also be a signal that we're going to look for fewer jacks of all trades and more masters of one. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Passed over, different skill set, not meshing personality-wise, some combination of all plus other things... 

Could also be a signal that we're going to look for fewer jacks of all trades and more masters of one. 

Can one of those masters of one be a OFFENSIVE TACKLE WHO IS RANKED HIGHLY ON RECRUITING SITES?!?!? lol. PLEAAAAAAAASE!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Can one of those masters of one be a OFFENSIVE TACKLE WHO IS RANKED HIGHLY ON RECRUITING SITES?!?!? lol. PLEAAAAAAAASE!!!!!!

No.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

No.

That really be how it be with the kids too. Gus is like BRODERICK JONES COME ON DOWN for a official visit for the Kentucky Basketball game!!! And the kid just simply replied with a No.

I hate to see Justin leave. I do however wish him the very best. Maybe this will open a slot for us to go after and sign Rod Orr.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

This one feels to me like another result of the coaching change.

Not sure it's about coaching changes. Sounds like it's been a motor issue. Per Hunter48 he hadn't gained much strength the past 2 years & was running with the 3rd team this week in walk throughs.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure it's about coaching changes. Sounds like it's been a motor issue. Per Hunter48 he hadn't gained much strength the past 2 years & was running with the 3rd team this week in walk throughs.

After reading Brahms's comments, that makes total sense. 

Archived