10 Game Conference Only Schedule Approved (Merged)

toddc

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Just a bit ago Finebaum said to hold on, this may not be the case.  We'll see soon enough I guess.

Yes, Rumor is the SEC will use a 'strength of schedule format' to determine each team's 2 additional opponent. 
So the rumor is we may get UT/away and FL/home. 

Alabama would get Mizz and Vandy.

If that ends up happened, then AU can kiss 2020 goodbye. They have a tough enough schedule as it is, but to add a tough UT and a legitimate East competitor in FL just added to our tough schedule.

How is THAT a strength of schedule adjustment for Auburn? And Alabama can just walk into the SECW championship....

17 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Yes, Rumor is the SEC will use a 'strength of schedule format' to determine each team's 2 additional opponent. 

If that ends up happened, then AU can kiss 2020 goodbye. They have a tough enough schedule as it is, but to add a tough UT and a legitimate East competitor in FL just added to our tough schedule.

How is THAT a strength of schedule adjustment for Auburn? And Alabama can just walk into the SECW championship....

I was just thinking yesterday when I saw the OP that it was too good to be true. Saban probably let them know it was unfair. 

26 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Where is that rumor coming from? That would be absolutely absurd. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Where is that rumor coming from? That would be absolutely absurd. 

Here is one article on it. Read about half way down...

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/31/sec-conference-only-schedule-2020

Here is the text taken out specific to it....

"Meanwhile, the SEC is faced with one of its toughest tasks in a while: choosing two additional opponents for each one of its teams in a league that’s rife with venom, jealousy and, at times, hate. We spitballed on social media this week that the league could use each team’s next two rotational cross-division opponents as its two additional opponents this year. That was met with some backlash, and it doesn’t appear the SEC will take such a route. That model would create inequality, for one, and could also throw a wrench into 2021 and 2022 schedules.

So how then to decide the schedules? The league is expected to craft a scheduling model that potentially is weighted on strength of schedule. Basically, they’ll attempt to be as fair as possible."

27 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Here is one article on it. Read about half way down...

https://www.si.com/college/2020/07/31/sec-conference-only-schedule-2020

Here is the text taken out specific to it....

"Meanwhile, the SEC is faced with one of its toughest tasks in a while: choosing two additional opponents for each one of its teams in a league that’s rife with venom, jealousy and, at times, hate. We spitballed on social media this week that the league could use each team’s next two rotational cross-division opponents as its two additional opponents this year. That was met with some backlash, and it doesn’t appear the SEC will take such a route. That model would create inequality, for one, and could also throw a wrench into 2021 and 2022 schedules.

So how then to decide the schedules? The league is expected to craft a scheduling model that potentially is weighted on strength of schedule. Basically, they’ll attempt to be as fair as possible."

Thanks. It was the rumored opponents that I was scoffing at. It sounds quite literally like an Auburn fan with a bad case of LBS picked the two most difficult opponents from the East (after uga) for us and the two weakest for bama and floated it as a "rumor". 

The strength of schedule approach seems fair, although it seems difficult to work out for both divisions. Do you give West Team A uga and Vandy- top and bottom- and West Team B, say, UT and USC- fair to middlin'? Is it possible to do that and also make it equitable for those other teams?

Back to the first paragraph, though, as I'm typing out I realize that a lot of AU fans would pick UT and UF anyway just based off historical rivalries and just to see those matchups. So that would make sense if they just asked the schools who they'd want to play. And I could see where bama would pick the two easiest teams in the East since UT is already guaranteed and they don't necessarily have any other big rivals in the East. So maybe that wasn't a function of LBS. Mea culpa to your unnamed sources if so!

15 minutes ago, LSUGradin99 said:

Pretty sure the two extra games Bama is getting are both against Vandy as bookends to their season. Both games will be played in Tuscaloosa.

The enemy of my enemy... #geauxtohellbama

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Thanks. It was the rumored opponents that I was scoffing at. It sounds quite literally like an Auburn fan with a bad case of LBS picked the two most difficult opponents from the East (after uga) for us and the two weakest for bama and floated it as a "rumor". 

The strength of schedule approach seems fair, although it seems difficult to work out for both divisions. Do you give West Team A uga and Vandy- top and bottom- and West Team B, say, UT and USC- fair to middlin'? Is it possible to do that and also make it equitable for those other teams?

Back to the first paragraph, though, as I'm typing out I realize that a lot of AU fans would pick UT and UF anyway just based off historical rivalries and just to see those matchups. So that would make sense if they just asked the schools who they'd want to play. And I could see where bama would pick the two easiest teams in the East since UT is already guaranteed and they don't necessarily have any other big rivals in the East. So maybe that wasn't a function of LBS. Mea culpa to your unnamed sources if so!

Now ANYTHING is possible in the speedo media frenzy world. (that visual is not a pretty sight). :)

Alabama always get the easiest schedules. They never have work up a sweast as they work their way to the SEC and National Championship games.

9 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

The Pirates teams tend to really struggle during his early tenure as they adjust to his style. 

thats definitely possible. but if they can figure it out early, I would say that's a style that could make a fight. Scharader will also get some real chances to scramble if they can find success with 4 and 5 out. I dont think theres any other way they're making the running game work versus that team 

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Alabama always get the easiest schedules.schedules

True. True

:poke:

My question is how do you determine strength of schedule when you haven’t seen anyone play this year?  You’ve got three new coaches in the West that you have no idea whether they’ll be good or dog crap.  Miss State brought in a Qb that can run Leach’s scheme and Ole Miss gave Auburn everything it could handle last year.  In the East Kentucky could be 6-5 or 9-3, Tennessee could be good this season or they could be still a year away.  Strength of schedule is part of the deal.  

26 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

My question is how do you determine strength of schedule when you haven’t seen anyone play this year?  You’ve got three new coaches in the West that you have no idea whether they’ll be good or dog crap.  Miss State brought in a Qb that can run Leach’s scheme and Ole Miss gave Auburn everything it could handle last year.  In the East Kentucky could be 6-5 or 9-3, Tennessee could be good this season or they could be still a year away.  Strength of schedule is part of the deal.  

You would have to base it on last year's conference record.  Basically take the opposite division's order of finish, add opponents together, divide by four games, and hope that it comes close to 3.5 (half of 7).

Example for AU:

UGA (1)

Kentucky (5)

Tennessee (3)

Mizzou (6)

15 ÷ 4 = 3.75

Example for Bama:

UGA (1)

Tennessee (3)

South Carolina (4)

Vandy (7)

15 ÷ 4 = 3.75

Using that formula, both AU and Bama would have equally weighted schedules while keeping their two already scheduled East opponents.

On 7/30/2020 at 3:52 PM, AuburnTiger4Life said:

if this is true, we arguably got the best draw in the SEC for once 

Not sure I agree.   Got to consider we already play UGA and a surging UK....

So Thuga, UK, USC and Mizzou from the East for Auburn.   I do like it.  Muschamp is coaching to keep his job and Mizzou is now a wildcard with a new HC.   Not an easy draw to be honest.    

Glad bama has Thuga and UF.   Just hope they have to go to UF because they already have Thuga at home.  

Boys - in this new age of blatant manipulation and open lying around us, I halfway expect bama to start to get 'open' preferential treatment so they have easier paths to the playoffs for the sake of money to the conference.    

I am pretty convinced the conference wanted the undefeated LSU vs bama matchup and somehow the blatant holding calls didn't happen in Auburn vs LSU game.   Thus, LSU got to the bama game undefeated.  

This concerns me a little for next season and beyond.  Sure hope the ADs can keep stuff like that from happening.  

Anyone else seeing photos on Instagram and other social media with young folks in Auburn totally ignoring the mandatory mask order and social distancing guidelines for coronavirus? I have to say that if what I'm seeing is representative of the whole, none of this is going to work. We're going to see the university shut down in a matter of weeks from the start of fall classes and the football season will go with it. l hate to be pessimistic.  I'd really been hopeful. Right now I just hope my pessimism turns out to be wrong.

Auburn, as a city and as a school, needs to enforce the mask order. And something is going to have to be done about the bars. Damn.

23 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Auburn, as a city and as a school, needs to enforce the mask order. And something is going to have to be done about the bars. Damn.

I agree with your sentiments. But based on what is happening with MLB, and players opting out of the NFL, CFB this fall is looking bleaker and bleaker. 

38 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Anyone else seeing photos on Instagram and other social media with young folks in Auburn totally ignoring the mandatory mask order and social distancing guidelines for coronavirus? I have to say that if what I'm seeing is representative of the whole, none of this is going to work. We're going to see the university shut down in a matter of weeks from the start of fall classes and the football season will go with it. l hate to be pessimistic.  I'd really been hopeful. Right now I just hope my pessimism turns out to be wrong.

I drove through Auburn Friday night at roughly 8 PM. Downtown looked like 2019 and I saw not ONE person wearing a mask. Just hard to see how protocols the university has in place to combat Covid will have any affect if it's a free-for-all after hours.
And there were plenty of parents walking around with the kids not wearing masks as well.

46 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree with your sentiments. But based on what is happening with MLB, and players opting out of the NFL, CFB this fall is looking bleaker and bleaker. 

Not to mention when you look at the pac 12 and the players threatening to boycott if demands aren’t met, especially the compensation part. How many conferences will be willing to give 50% of their revenue to the players (in all sports), while also dealing with the loss of revenue that will happen due to how everything is right now?

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

Not to mention when you look at the pac 12 and the players threatening to boycott if demands aren’t met, especially the compensation part. How many conferences will be willing to give 50% of their revenue to the players (in all sports), while also dealing with the loss of revenue that will happen due to how everything is right now?

certainly this is just a small fraction of players putting this out. Has it been identified as having represented all PAC 12 players? Or is it some for profit organization and a select few players supporting this being put out there?

24 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

certainly this is just a small fraction of players putting this out. Has it been identified as having represented all PAC 12 players? Or is it some for profit organization and a select few players supporting this being put out there?

I know some of the biggest players in the pac 12 are posting this. Also you’ve got this 

It’s addressed from “players of the pac12” I’m not sure if all players are behind it because it doesn’t include a list.

I wonder if all SEC teams non-conference games will be pushed to 2021 or will they try to reschedule them for future dates like with Auburn's games with Alcorn State, North Carolina, Southern Miss and UMASS.

6 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

I haven't been back since last semester went online, but from what I hear, it's been as disastrous as I expected. The state, as far as college towns go, is going to be absolutely overran. NOT TO GET POLITICAL, but Kay and other mayors are gonna have to stop with the half measures. I know she doesn't want to break party ranks, esp. in this region, but only getting halfway out of the pool is more insulting to me, personally, than being all the way in. Banning alcohol after 11....mother****ers there are either already toasted or are coming in toasted. What are you doing with that order. 

Not to mention FL and GA have exponentially better healthcare systems than we do. They might be able to afford risking things we can't.

Archived