10 Game Conference Only Schedule Approved (Merged)

toddc

5 hours ago, CR said:

I drove through Auburn Friday night at roughly 8 PM. Downtown looked like 2019 and I saw not ONE person wearing a mask. Just hard to see how protocols the university has in place to combat Covid will have any affect if it's a free-for-all after hours.
And there were plenty of parents walking around with the kids not wearing masks as well.

I heard there's been entire families coming down with their kids (move in period, makes sense) without masks. Wtf!!! I've walked around Toomers at least 300 times. I don't think I ever once was able to do so without being in breathing space of at least one person!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I heard there's been entire families coming down with their kids (move in period, makes sense) without masks. Wtf!!! I've walked around Toomers at least 300 times. I don't think I ever once was able to do so without being in breathing space of at least one person!

I didn't expect everyone to mask up, but I seriously saw not one person wearing one. Ironic when most everyone on campus is wearing a mask. Not promising for sports or other events I'm afraid.

54 minutes ago, CR said:

I didn't expect everyone to mask up, but I seriously saw not one person wearing one. Ironic when most everyone on campus is wearing a mask. Not promising for sports or other events I'm afraid.

EAMC is almost at capacity last time I checked. s*** is going to get horrendous. Thank God they already have the fail safe of online classes, so that'll likely alleviate some of the bodies when it inevitably is needed. I just feel bad for the locals (with sense) that have to deal with those (who don't)

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

Here’s an update on the pac 12 situation from Washington St 

That's gonna go over like a lead balloon.

20 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I AM NOT supporting Anything that you are seeing, but when I am outside, for example when leaving the grocery store, I habitually take my mask off.  I rarely wear one outside bc I  am not really near other people. I’m just thinking people feel safer outside, whether true or not. Wondering if anyone is seeing people inside not wearing masks bc where I am, I see none but see a lot outside.

44 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I AM NOT supporting Anything that you are seeing, but when I am outside, for example when leaving the grocery store, I habitually take my mask off.  I rarely wear one outside bc I  am not really near other people. I’m just thinking people feel safer outside, whether true or not. Wondering if anyone is seeing people inside not wearing masks bc where I am, I see none but see a lot outside.

All over social media.

23 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

All over social media.

Btw is mask wearing inside mandatory in Alabama? I am in a different state and it is mandatory.

11 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Btw is mask wearing inside mandatory in Alabama? I am in a different state and it is mandatory.

It is mandatory but hardly being enforced. I live in Foley, and have seen people walk right past officers w/o masks and be fine. The businesses that have pushed masks before this order have done a better job of having customers that abide by the rules. Something like walmart though, it's not much different than it was before

and to speak to your other post, Im truly fine if someone is like 8 feet from their car and take the mask off. You can't police every second. Even if they went to a lowly populated park and only put their mask on when they were about to come up on other people, that's fine. It's the walking in crowds of dozens, even hundreds, w/o anything on your face, that upsets me

Surprised more SEC teams(GA,FL, KY, SC) that lost their in state rival games didn't complain more about it. ACC is not too happy that SEC didn't work with them to try to at least keep these rivalries going. 

Tough to break these long running traditions...I kind of understand their frustration.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Surprised more SEC teams(GA,FL, KY, SC) that lost their in state rival games didn't complain more about it. ACC is not too happy that SEC didn't work with them to try to at least keep these rivalries going. 

Tough to break these long running traditions...I kind of understand their frustration.

That's a BS stance.  The ACC didn't work with the SEC and gave us an ultimatum.  The ACC mandated that all non-conference games must be played in state.  That's great for the rivalries, but it completely screws Auburn and Mississippi State who were playing either home games or neutral site games against ACC opponents.

The SEC, for all of its faults, has always understood one thing: stand together as a conference even if it may not benefit you the individual school in the interim.

The ACC tried to dictate terms.  The SEC said "**** you" and I'm personally happy about it. 

If anything, we should have done the plus one model and the 10 teams that don't have a natural ACC in-state rivalry played a Big 12/SEC challenge week.  Would have been epic plus we would have stuck it those ACC teams who would have had to reschedule lost games (like UNC).

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I think at this point people are just trying to get the season off.  Millions of dollars on the line for not only Universities but towns that make large of amounts of revenue from the fans.  Rivals are a fun part of the sport but anything at this point will be a win.  South Carolina may not mind playing Clemson this year and FSU same of Florida.  

Anybody heard anything about a schedule?  I thought it would be out by now.

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

That's a BS stance.  The ACC didn't work with the SEC and gave us an ultimatum.  The ACC mandated that all non-conference games must be played in state.  That's great for the rivalries, but it completely screws Auburn and Mississippi State who were playing either home games or neutral site games against ACC opponents.

The SEC, for all of its faults, has always understood one thing: stand together as a conference even if it may not benefit you the individual school in the interim.

The ACC tried to dictate terms.  The SEC said "**** you" and I'm personally happy about it. 

If anything, we should have done the plus one model and the 10 teams that don't have a natural ACC in-state rivalry played a Big 12/SEC challenge week.  Would have been epic plus we would have stuck it those ACC teams who would have had to reschedule lost games (like UNC).

I agree. I didn't like the ACC dictating OOC conference games must be in state. That meant that they didnt care if Auburn or some other school brought possibly infection to their state as long as they got the money generated by having it instate.  Their idea of calling this safe was a smoke screen. They didn't want to see Virginia, NC, NC ST all get whipped by an SEC school. Screwed the AU/NC game. 

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I agree. I didn't like the ACC dictating OOC conference games must be in state. That meant that they didnt care if Auburn or some other school brought possibly infection to their state as long as they got the money generated by having it instate.  Their idea of calling this safe was a smoke screen. They didn't want to see Virginia, NC, NC ST all get whipped by an SEC school. Screwed the AU/NC game. 

Here's what's incredibly stupid.  The ACC said it's OK for teams to play a conference game in Atlanta at Ga Tech, but a non-conference game literally 3 miles away is a no-go?  Get outta here with that BS.

On 8/2/2020 at 5:41 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I haven't been back since last semester went online, but from what I hear, it's been as disastrous as I expected. The state, as far as college towns go, is going to be absolutely overran. NOT TO GET POLITICAL, but Kay and other mayors are gonna have to stop with the half measures. I know she doesn't want to break party ranks, esp. in this region, but only getting halfway out of the pool is more insulting to me, personally, than being all the way in. Banning alcohol after 11....mother****ers there are either already toasted or are coming in toasted. What are you doing with that order. 

Not to mention FL and GA have exponentially better healthcare systems than we do. They might be able to afford risking things we can't.

Well I think the ban of alcohol sales after 11:00 is pointless...but based on your post let me ask you....what would your solution be?

5 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Well I think the ban of alcohol sales after 11:00 is pointless...but based on your post let me ask you....what would your solution be?

If a bar wants to operate, mandated masks. I don't believe in having such trivial businesses in the current conditions, but I know it'd be impossible to get that to go over in this country. The compromise is mandated masks anywhere on the properties. 

The alcohol thing seems to me to be a half measure to get people to leave after 11, which should indicate that they acknowledge the PROVEN risk of those businesses. But that act hardly does anything to lower that risk

On 7/30/2020 at 3:52 PM, AuburnTiger4Life said:

if this is true, we arguably got the best draw in the SEC for once 

Mizzou that's tough buddy

Florida got the tough draw too

18 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Mizzou that's tough buddy

Florida got the tough draw too

Not sure this is still accurate per rumor and innuendo 

9 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I think at this point people are just trying to get the season off.  Millions of dollars on the line for not only Universities but towns that make large of amounts of revenue from the fans.  Rivals are a fun part of the sport but anything at this point will be a win.  South Carolina may not mind playing Clemson this year and FSU same of Florida.  

Anybody heard anything about a schedule?  I thought it would be out by now.

im just guessing like everyone else but perhaps sometime by the end of this week? if not then perhaps whenever fall practice kicks in. bama fans on tigerdroppings are saying their university is already planning on refunding tickets from original schedule

All the non-conference games SEC canceled on Thursday

By Creg Stephenson | cstephenson@al.com

5-7 minutes

The SEC’s announcement Thursday that it would play only conference games in 2020 resulted in the cancelation of 56 non-conference games, four for each school.

Not all non-conference games are created equal, of course. Some of them were games you circled on your calendar every year, others you might not have even known your team was playing until game week.

For your convenience, we’ve broken down the “called-off” SEC games of 2020 into six categories. Here’s a look:

The blood rivalries (4)

Florida at Florida State, Nov. 28

Georgia Tech at Georgia, Nov. 28

Kentucky at Louisville, Nov. 28

South Carolina at Clemson, Nov. 28

These are the games that hurt the most, and involve the most history. South Carolina and Clemson have played every year since 1909, even through two World Wars. Georgia and Georgia Tech have faced off annually since 1924, though there’s some dispute over whether the games during World War II should have counted, given that the Bulldogs were fielding a glorified club team.

Florida and Florida State have played “only” since 1958, but the rivalry still dates to the time of black & white TV. Kentucky and Louisville started playing again in 1994 after a 70-year break, but you’ve still got a quarter century of history in the “Governor’s Cup” game.

The interesting inter-sectional games (7)

Arkansas at Notre Dame, Sept. 12

Texas at LSU, Sept. 12

Mississippi State at North Carolina State, Sept. 12

Tennessee at Oklahoma, Sept. 12

Vanderbilt at Kansas State, Sept. 19

Colorado at Texas A&M, Sept. 19

Missouri at BYU, Oct. 10

Arkansas at Notre Dame was technically already canceled, after the ACC announced it was playing a “10 + 1” schedule with one non-conference game. The Fighting Irish are more likely to try to save their annual game with Navy, which dates back to the 1920s.

The real loss here, however, is Texas at LSU. The Tigers’ 45-38 victory in Austin in 2019 was one of the games of the year, and helped launch Joe Burrow’s Heisman campaign.

The marquee neutral-site matchups (5)

Alabama vs. USC (in Arlington, Texas), Sept. 5

Ole Miss vs. Baylor (in Houston), Sept. 5

Georgia vs. Virginia (in Atlanta), Sept. 7

Auburn vs. North Carolina (in Atlanta), Sept. 12

LSU vs. Rice (in Houston), Sept. 19

Again, a couple of these — notably Alabama-USC — had been canceled already due to other conferences doing away with non-league games before the SEC did. And LSU-Rice is not exactly “marquee,” but that game didn’t really fit into any of the other categories.

Neutral-site games are quickly becoming a thing of the past as Power 5 teams start to schedule non-conference home-and-homes, but they were a big thing in their time. That Auburn-North Carolina game in particular would have been must-watch TV.

The Group of 5 ‘trap’ games (10)

Nevada at Arkansas, Sept. 5

Charlotte at Tennessee, Sept. 5

Southern Miss at Auburn, Sept. 26

Tulane at Mississippi State, Sept. 26

Troy at Tennessee, Sept. 26

Fresno State at Texas A&M, Sept. 26

Colorado State at Vanderbilt, Sept. 26

Louisiana at Missouri, Nov. 21

Louisiana Tech at Vanderbilt, Nov. 21

Georgia Southern at Ole Miss, Nov. 21

We’ve seen teams from the Sun Belt and Conference USA wreck many an SEC Saturday in recent years, but we won’t get that in 2020. In particularly, those three games on Nov. 21 all had the potential to make memes out of sad SEC fans.  

The G5/independent guarantee games (16)

Eastern Michigan at Kentucky, Sept. 5

UT-San Antonio at LSU, Sept. 5

New Mexico at Mississippi State, Sept. 5

Coastal Carolina at South Carolina, Sept. 5

Georgia State at Alabama, Sept. 12

East Carolina at South Carolina, Sept. 12

North Texas at Texas A&M, Sept. 12

Kent State at Kentucky, Sept. 19

South Alabama at Florida, Sept. 19

New Mexico State at Florida, Sept. 26

Kent State at Alabama, Sept. 26

Louisiana-Monroe at Georgia, Sept. 26

Eastern Michigan at Missouri, Sept. 26

Middle Tennessee State at Ole Miss, Oct. 24

UMass at Auburn, Nov. 14

Louisiana-Monroe at Arkansas, Nov. 21

Not as much potential for upsets with this group, but they’re a “necessary evil” for both sides. SEC teams get what is probably an easy win along with a guaranteed seventh home game, while the G5 schools get a massive payday.

Lots of revenue lost on both sides here.

So long, Cupcake Saturday(s) (14)

Alcorn State at Auburn, Sept. 5

Eastern Washington at Florida, Sept. 5

Central Arkansas at Missouri, Sept. 5

Abilene Christian at Texas A&M, Sept. 5

Mercer at Vanderbilt, Sept. 5

East Tennessee State at Georgia, Sept. 12

Southeast Missouri State at Ole Miss, Sept. 12

Furman at Tennessee, Sept. 19

Nicholls State at LSU, Oct. 3

Charleston Southern at Arkansas, Oct. 3

Eastern Illinois at Kentucky, Oct. 10

UT Martin at Alabama, Nov. 21

Alabama A&M at Mississippi State, Nov. 21

Wofford at South Carolina, Nov. 21

These games were largely clustered at the beginning and at the end of schedules, and no one but super fans and/or sadists really enjoys watching them. They’re a nice payday for FCS programs (and their players get to perform in a big-time environment), and almost always* an easy win for the SEC school.

* — Yes, we know The Citadel beat South Carolina that time. Georgia Southern also beat Florida a few years ago, but soon after moved up to the FBS.

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

All the non-conference games SEC canceled on Thursday

By Creg Stephenson | cstephenson@al.com

5-7 minutes

The SEC’s announcement Thursday that it would play only conference games in 2020 resulted in the cancelation of 56 non-conference games, four for each school.

Not all non-conference games are created equal, of course. Some of them were games you circled on your calendar every year, others you might not have even known your team was playing until game week.

For your convenience, we’ve broken down the “called-off” SEC games of 2020 into six categories. Here’s a look:

The blood rivalries (4)

Florida at Florida State, Nov. 28

Georgia Tech at Georgia, Nov. 28

Kentucky at Louisville, Nov. 28

South Carolina at Clemson, Nov. 28

These are the games that hurt the most, and involve the most history. South Carolina and Clemson have played every year since 1909, even through two World Wars. Georgia and Georgia Tech have faced off annually since 1924, though there’s some dispute over whether the games during World War II should have counted, given that the Bulldogs were fielding a glorified club team.

Florida and Florida State have played “only” since 1958, but the rivalry still dates to the time of black & white TV. Kentucky and Louisville started playing again in 1994 after a 70-year break, but you’ve still got a quarter century of history in the “Governor’s Cup” game.

The interesting inter-sectional games (7)

Arkansas at Notre Dame, Sept. 12

Texas at LSU, Sept. 12

Mississippi State at North Carolina State, Sept. 12

Tennessee at Oklahoma, Sept. 12

Vanderbilt at Kansas State, Sept. 19

Colorado at Texas A&M, Sept. 19

Missouri at BYU, Oct. 10

Arkansas at Notre Dame was technically already canceled, after the ACC announced it was playing a “10 + 1” schedule with one non-conference game. The Fighting Irish are more likely to try to save their annual game with Navy, which dates back to the 1920s.

The real loss here, however, is Texas at LSU. The Tigers’ 45-38 victory in Austin in 2019 was one of the games of the year, and helped launch Joe Burrow’s Heisman campaign.

The marquee neutral-site matchups (5)

Alabama vs. USC (in Arlington, Texas), Sept. 5

Ole Miss vs. Baylor (in Houston), Sept. 5

Georgia vs. Virginia (in Atlanta), Sept. 7

Auburn vs. North Carolina (in Atlanta), Sept. 12

LSU vs. Rice (in Houston), Sept. 19

Again, a couple of these — notably Alabama-USC — had been canceled already due to other conferences doing away with non-league games before the SEC did. And LSU-Rice is not exactly “marquee,” but that game didn’t really fit into any of the other categories.

Neutral-site games are quickly becoming a thing of the past as Power 5 teams start to schedule non-conference home-and-homes, but they were a big thing in their time. That Auburn-North Carolina game in particular would have been must-watch TV.

The Group of 5 ‘trap’ games (10)

Nevada at Arkansas, Sept. 5

Charlotte at Tennessee, Sept. 5

Southern Miss at Auburn, Sept. 26

Tulane at Mississippi State, Sept. 26

Troy at Tennessee, Sept. 26

Fresno State at Texas A&M, Sept. 26

Colorado State at Vanderbilt, Sept. 26

Louisiana at Missouri, Nov. 21

Louisiana Tech at Vanderbilt, Nov. 21

Georgia Southern at Ole Miss, Nov. 21

We’ve seen teams from the Sun Belt and Conference USA wreck many an SEC Saturday in recent years, but we won’t get that in 2020. In particularly, those three games on Nov. 21 all had the potential to make memes out of sad SEC fans.  

The G5/independent guarantee games (16)

Eastern Michigan at Kentucky, Sept. 5

UT-San Antonio at LSU, Sept. 5

New Mexico at Mississippi State, Sept. 5

Coastal Carolina at South Carolina, Sept. 5

Georgia State at Alabama, Sept. 12

East Carolina at South Carolina, Sept. 12

North Texas at Texas A&M, Sept. 12

Kent State at Kentucky, Sept. 19

South Alabama at Florida, Sept. 19

New Mexico State at Florida, Sept. 26

Kent State at Alabama, Sept. 26

Louisiana-Monroe at Georgia, Sept. 26

Eastern Michigan at Missouri, Sept. 26

Middle Tennessee State at Ole Miss, Oct. 24

UMass at Auburn, Nov. 14

Louisiana-Monroe at Arkansas, Nov. 21

Not as much potential for upsets with this group, but they’re a “necessary evil” for both sides. SEC teams get what is probably an easy win along with a guaranteed seventh home game, while the G5 schools get a massive payday.

Lots of revenue lost on both sides here.

So long, Cupcake Saturday(s) (14)

Alcorn State at Auburn, Sept. 5

Eastern Washington at Florida, Sept. 5

Central Arkansas at Missouri, Sept. 5

Abilene Christian at Texas A&M, Sept. 5

Mercer at Vanderbilt, Sept. 5

East Tennessee State at Georgia, Sept. 12

Southeast Missouri State at Ole Miss, Sept. 12

Furman at Tennessee, Sept. 19

Nicholls State at LSU, Oct. 3

Charleston Southern at Arkansas, Oct. 3

Eastern Illinois at Kentucky, Oct. 10

UT Martin at Alabama, Nov. 21

Alabama A&M at Mississippi State, Nov. 21

Wofford at South Carolina, Nov. 21

These games were largely clustered at the beginning and at the end of schedules, and no one but super fans and/or sadists really enjoys watching them. They’re a nice payday for FCS programs (and their players get to perform in a big-time environment), and almost always* an easy win for the SEC school.

* — Yes, we know The Citadel beat South Carolina that time. Georgia Southern also beat Florida a few years ago, but soon after moved up to the FBS.

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

this is an older article but i have yet to see it and thought some of you might find it interesting.

• ellitor changed the title to 10 Game Conference Only Schedule Approved (Merged)

As I watch the baseball season unfold and see the affects of having two teams with positive COVID results, I get a new appreciation of how fragile this football season will be.  It is relatively easy to make up baseball games.  But almost impossible to makeup football games.

During the season, when a player tests positive, the entire team goes into lockdown and whoever their opponent that week also loses at least one game?  So even though 10 games are scheduled, chances are that some of them will be cancelled.  So who goes to the SEC championship if there is an undefeated LSU at 9-0 and an undefeated Auburn at 8-0 because the LSU-AUB game is cancelled and say the AUB-Ole Miss game is cancelled due to COVID.

Sorry for the pessimism....but I think the over-under for the number of weeks games are played this season is a 2 or 3 because by then it will be apparent there is no good answer for this situation and they will throw the towel in.

And the baseball situation is with no fans in the stands.  Imagine if there is a major outbreak of COVID among fans of a single football game.  The SEC will probably have no choice but to shutdown all games for all teams in the league.

23 minutes ago, countoff said:

As I watch the baseball season unfold

Counterpoint: Other sports have done just fine. Maybe baseball players are just kinda dumb? Kidding, of course.

Bull Durham Mascot GIF - BullDurham Bull Durham - Discover & Share ...

46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Counterpoint: Other sports have done just fine. Maybe baseball players are just kinda dumb? Kidding, of course.

Bull Durham Mascot GIF - BullDurham Bull Durham - Discover & Share ...

McLoolus LaLuche look at that. You just hit the freaking bull!!

Archived