Harvey Updyke has died

Win4AU

My buddy just sent a message saying he died.  I can’t find anything.  Anyone else hearing this?

• TitanTiger changed the title to Harvey Updike Dead? (Update: Confirmed)

They should bury his body under toomers to fertilize the trees and as restitution for all the money he owes.  

10 minutes ago, Auburn06 said:

Prayers for his family.... however, he wasn't a real football fan. No true fans go to mental extremes over their rivalries.

Oh he was a fan. He’s the ultimate distillation of that fanbase. And they hate it - most of them. Granted, he hated others more than he loved his own but that sums up a lot of fans out there, of all schools. We unfortunately have a lot of so-called Auburn people that hate Alabama more than they love Auburn. Some on this very board. Though I doubt any of them would do what he did.

I guess I feel bad for the family to an extent. I’m sure he had his moments with them? But in public, it seems his adult life was one of ever-increasing virulence with others. Former state police who resigned over some allegations (if I recall correctly), obviously the stuff with us, the failure to pay anything to Auburn or show any remorse, and then the terrorist threats over a lawnmower. The man has died. I would say RIP but somehow I suspect he won’t be doing much resting in the afterlife. I guess I hope not. I hope he reformed at least spiritually and found some peace in his old age, since it seems he had a lot of inner demons, beyond football fandom.

I think it’d be pretty nice of us to collect funds for the family to plant a tree at his grave - a live oak tree. I know just where to find the particular one. Let those roots grow deep and into his coffin, so then long after his headstone has worn and slumped, that tree keeps going strong.

At least we can have some peace - he got to see one last Iron Bowl before he died.......

image.gif

Peace be with his family. Damn anyone that sees any reason to celebrate. 

Meh. My response may come off as a little cold, but I have a hard time having pity for this guy or anyone affiliated with him. It wasn’t just that he poisoned the trees in a fit of rage. That was bad. But we all are capable of bad things under the wrong circumstances. It was that, even when everyone confronted him about it, he showed no remorse. That’s a characteristic of a sociopath. To me, Updyke seemed like a totally messed up individual that did little in his life to warrant praise or respect. So, I’m not going to fake respect for the guy or sorrow over his passing. Maybe if I hadn’t been living there at the time and didn’t have to literally watch the trees die, I’d feel a little different. I think I’m also a little angry that the state didn’t do much to force his compliance with the sentence.

I wouldn’t call his death something to celebrate either though. I would prefer just say I feel little either way. I’m sure someone out there with a good heart is at least a little torn up by his death, and it is those few that I feel sorry for. His family? His closest friends? If they stuck with him through everything, they are either incredibly good people or really terrible. But honestly, my only real feeling in all this is that we can close the Updyke chapter of the state’s history. I wish it had done more to wake the state up to just how bad the rivalry has gotten. Anyway... 

you know the s***ty part is that I imagine he went thinking it was still worth it 

In full transparency, I really didnt get affected by the tree poisoning. im just not much of a "symbol" person. but the fact he had such a lack of a remorse of such a societal evil (even if thats a very narrow niche of society)...I love psychology. It takes someone very detached from reality, a true threat to our general guideline of safety, to do something like that. It also takes a hazardous ability to rectify anything as right in one's head, as long as it is a response to something that person deems bad. 

imagine if an Auburn fan broke the Saban statue instead...what would he have done? Planted a bomb on Toomer's Corner? Maybe that's a reach of a hypothetical, but I think this guy could've justified anything. And then to boast about it for a decade. Just a mentally disturbed person

well bye. if he ever showed any remorse or even his family i never saw it. him and quite a few of the turd nation thought it was funny. he was still talking trash and taking pics and signing autographs so i do not feel sorry for him. i am sure some will hate me for my statement but i refuse to lie about how i feel. i am sorry for any children his passing might have hurt.

His last memory of the iron bowl was of Auburn winning.     Its almost like  the ending was wrote just to spite him.    He wont be missed

15 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Who

did you sleep in a tree last night?   lmbo

lets not forget he poisoned the water table at auburn under the trees and i still wonder if anyone got sick drinking that water. it is more serious than just killing trees and he poured way more than enough to just poison trees.

2 hours ago, auskip07 said:

His last memory of the iron bowl was of Auburn winning.     Its almost like  the ending was wrote just to spite him.    He wont be missed

I was going to post that as well. He died and his beloved turds lost last iron bowl he ever saw! Somehow, that is justice!

10 minutes ago, Hopsing said:

I was going to post that as well. He died and his beloved turds lost last iron bowl he ever saw! Somehow, that is justice!

Good point. But I still wish peace to his family. 

23 minutes ago, alexava said:

Good point. But I still wish peace to his family. 

I understand. No one gets to pick their family members!

14 hours ago, Win4AU said:

They should bury his body under toomers to fertilize the trees and as restitution for all the money he owes.  

No! No, no, no!  I don't want Harvey Updyke, his body or anything to do with him near Toomer's or Auburn. Best he decompose somewhere else.

Archived