Auburn professor might not last ....

alexava

https://yellowhammernews.com/auburn-professor-f-every-single-cop/?fbclid=IwAR1DzNZ7D2fOMtNrsxCtmaty9ZYcCKyy3cY1lLmqGKpFl2YeN32Nx5kB0q4

“**** every single cop. Every single one. The only ethical choice for any cop to make at this point is to refuse to do their job and quit. The police do not protect people. They protect capital. They are instruments of violence on behalf of capital“

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's a shame. We need to hear the voices of others. It makes us better, even when we do not agree.

8 hours ago, alexava said:

The police do not protect people. They protect capital. 

That’s weird, I feel like I’ve protected and helped people this week. Protecting/helping women who are getting the brakes beaten off of them by sadistic partners, doing chest compressions on the individual who fell out, comforting families who had loved ones die of old age and one family member that walked outside and shot themselves in the head. I suppose I was wrong and am just a robotic agent of the state. 😞

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

Definitely a garbage take from the professor. No doubt about that. 

And, damn, it's got to be hard to reckon with what you see and are required to be part of day in, day out. I tolerate that guy, but I appreciate you. FWIW

5 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

it's a shame. We need to hear the voices of others. It makes us better, even when we do not agree.

i remember when it was found out obama went to church with some radical preacher who had some hard things to say. they tried to use it against him but did not succeed.

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

When someone breaks in and steals his “ capital “ you can bet your sweet ass he will call you. Just happened to me a couple weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i remember when it was found out obama went to church with some radical preacher who had some hard things to say. they tried to use it against him but did not succeed.

I was a Deacon in that Denomination...

7 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

This dude ain't gonna last long at AU at all.  No freaking chance.

Nor should he.  We need level headed people teaching kids in college, not radicals.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He probably won't last but that's an Auburn problem and not a professor problem.

I think it's a professor problem.  There's a reasonable, level-headed way to discuss policing, how to fix it or change it, and so on.  Accusing all cops of being terrible, calling them bastards, etc. isn't that.  And for me it calls his judgment into question in general, not just on this.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I think it's a professor problem.  There's a reasonable, level-headed way to discuss policing, how to fix it or change it, and so on.  Accusing all cops of being terrible, calling them bastards, etc. isn't that.  And for me it calls his judgment into question in general, not just on this.

If his performance as a professor merits his termination, so be it.

I didn't read the article, though, and I now see that Auburn is trying to figure out if they can fire him. Clearly they agree with you.

But Auburn is at a polar end of the political spectrum as far as universities go and I would really love to see that change. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

If his performance as a professor merits his termination, so be it.

I didn't read the article, though, and I now see that Auburn is trying to figure out if they can fire him. Clearly they agree with you.

But Auburn is at a polar end of the political spectrum as far as universities go and I would really love to see that change. 

Well if they were as 'polar end' as you think, they wouldn't have hired the guy in the first place, much less have a guy on the faculty teaching queer studies.

They're relatively conservative among public universities, but not exactly out of the mainstream.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Well if they were as 'polar end' as you think, they wouldn't have hired the guy in the first place, much less have a guy on the faculty teaching queer studies.

They're relatively conservative among public universities, but not exactly out of the mainstream.

Literally voted the most conservative campus in the nation a few years ago. But hey, sitting at 15 now. Might as well join the Pac 12.

https://www.princetonreview.com/college-rankings?rankings=most-conservative-students

Dude seems to be trying to get fired. There is such a thing a speaking what's on your mind but sometimes it's wise to mind what you speak. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Literally voted the most conservative campus in the nation a few years ago. But hey, sitting at 15 now. Might as well join the Pac 12.

https://www.princetonreview.com/college-rankings?rankings=most-conservative-students

"Our ranking list of the colleges with the most conservative students..." (emphasis mine)

That's not necessarily surprising.  Auburn mostly draws students from Alabama and Georgia, very conservative states.  They haven't made a concerted out of state push like UAT has.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

"Our ranking list of the colleges with the most conservative students..." (emphasis mine)

Yes, I read the article that I provided to you. 

I'm guessing that's an important distinction for you in the framework of this conversation. To me, it suggests that it is that much more incumbent upon Auburn University- with all its conservative students and located deep in one of the most conservative parts of the country- to offer different perspectives. 

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yes, I read the article that I provided to you. 

I'm guessing that's an important distinction for you in the framework of this conversation. To me, it suggests that it is that much more incumbent upon Auburn University- with all its conservative students and located deep in one of the most conservative parts of the country- to offer different perspectives. 

I guess I see it as, Auburn is on the conservative end of mainstream in terms of its student body.  I don't see them as extreme or an outlier.  I don't think the faculty and administration is anywhere near as conservative as the students.  But they do offer different perspectives.  The very nature of what he was hired to teach demonstrates that to me.  But he's radical - not just on the far leftward end of mainstream.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Auburn is on the conservative end of mainstream in terms of its student body.

I'll choose to believe those who put actual research into it and declared that to be quite wrong. #15 out of 385 colleges.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

But he's radical - not just on the far leftward end of mainstream.

That's a defensible position. And this is a poor hill for me to fight Auburn's ultra-conservatism on. This guy is obviously a clown and a douchebag. I'm probably still butthurt over the War Eagle thing, to which the fan base responded poorly and predictably. But y'all are right about this. No employer in any industry should be compelled to put up with this. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I'll choose to believe those who put actual research into it and declared that to be quite wrong. #15 out of 385 colleges.

You're assuming that public universities in general aren't mainstream compared to the society they are in.  They generally are.  The list is relative to the grouping it covers.  There are tons of private schools across the country that are WAY more conservative than Auburn.  There are tons of private schools across the country that are far more liberal than whoever they rank as the most liberal public universities.  It just is what it is.

Just now, McLoofus said:

That's a defensible position. And this is a poor hill for me to fight Auburn's ultra-conservatism on. This guy is obviously a clown and a douchebag. I'm probably still butthurt over the War Eagle thing, to which the fan base responded poorly and predictably. But y'all are right about this. No employer in any industry should be compelled to put up with this. 

It's as if he's just trying to get fired to polish his progressive bonafides.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

It's as if he's just trying to get fired to polish his progressive bonafides.

Reads to me like a guy drawing off some trauma or other form of highly negative interaction from his past and projecting/generalizing based off that- he seems to have very specific and targeted anger- but I suppose the why doesn't matter in this scenario if the what is out of bounds.

My remembrance of Auburn (early 70's) - expressed in terms of movies - split between "Animal House" and "The Doors".  ;D

Don't know what the percentage but I suspect the "The Doors" culture was a small minority.  But nevertheless, it was still a large cultural influence. For example, we had a head shop on campus - so there was at least the suggestion of business opportunity. ;)   Anyway, the other campus cultures - as I see it - were basically in the same traditional genre as the "Greeks".

As far as the university itself, I graduated with a degree from the School of Agriculture.  It was a very conservative environment, in terms of professors and students.  I also took courses in  school of engineering, which - if anything - was even a more conservative environment.  ( I am referring to culture of the classes expressed in social interaction-  not the content of the training - if that makes sense.)

Anyway, as I see it, AU has a very conservative heritage.

Having said that, I am very proud of Auburn - particularly regarding research and extension- which often includes foreign students and benefits that are directed toward the entire world. I don't know the current "campus cultures" - and not sure I want to know- but our universities are a major strength of our country.  And I am proud of Auburn taking it's role in that.     

First his statements about War Eagle, now this. I think this buffoon is trying to get fired so he can file some sort of discrimination complaint. I hope he gets run off before he starts teaching a class and some student punches him out.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

First his statements about War Eagle, now this. I think this buffoon is trying to get fired so he can file some sort of discrimination complaint. I hope he gets run off before he starts teaching a class and some student punches him out.

I don’t want any violence. But who would he call if he did get punched out? Maybe a free run. 

...and the Dude Abides...

Please Chill. I dont care about the War Eagle thing and that's okay. I have said for decades that overall colleges are unfriendly to Conservatives. That the average college professor was way too liberal, and that they should have a more even mix. I still stand by that. Auburn people need to hear from the other side. Berkeley people need to hear from the other side. The entire reason to go to college is to experience what you do not know, to learn what you do not know, to understand a larger part of the world so you can lead your family, peers, and the community forward.  

The worst thing to happen in America is Validation Bias. Where you only hear what you know and you get validation that the only good thing is what you already know. And yes, I blame Limbaugh and Hannity and Fox News for the start of this. But now I blame the MSM for the same thing too. This entire nation needs an intellectual enema. We need to shut up and listen to other people, other views. We need to act like adults. Hell, I now sound like a loon to most of you for stating what should be the obvious. 

Maybe the guy is too shrill, That may be valid. But also just as valid is that we need to let the other side be heard so we can grow as adults. That's the whole concept of a UNIVERSITY. Its right there in the name...You should get exposed to the entire range of ideas and history of intellectualism across the ages.

More History, less histrionics.
More Open-Pursuit of Ideas, not fast tracking into hyper partisanship,
less face-palms for people who are legitimately trying to grow Intellectually or challenge your myopic thinking.  

I love Auburn because it is a bastion of what I think are the Great Southern Traditional ideas. We have one of the largest ROTC Groups in the Nation and send large numbers of people into the services. That is a GREAT THING. Should be more HONORED.  We are a great Engineering, Ag, Vet, Business, Computer, IT and DT Tech School. But honestly, we could do better as much less of the stuffed shirts we are and enjoy the world a little more.

Exposure to outside thoughts and ideas also means that the other side got exposed to your thoughts and ideas too. 

Archived