Jump to content


Null



Auburn professor might not last ....


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Exposure to outside thoughts and ideas also means that the other side got exposed to your thoughts and ideas too. 

Yes, but that does not mean we have to put up with mindless drivel from the looney bin. There are limits on both sides and beyond those limits credibility is lost. This jerk has zero credibility and has no place at AU or any other institution of higher learning. It appears his sole purpose is radicalism when his main purpose should be educating the students that are assigned to his classes. I'd send him packing today.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites




  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He probably won't last but that's an Auburn problem and not a professor problem.

Nor should he.  We need level headed people teaching kids in college, not radicals.

Posted Images

with mikey and others on here only certain people qualify for certain rights and freedoms. it is not about liking or disliking it is about  exercising ones freedoms granted by the constitution.

Edited by aubiefifty
typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

...and the Dude Abides...

Please Chill. I dont care about the War Eagle thing and that's okay. I have said for decades that overall colleges are unfriendly to Conservatives. That the average college professor was way too liberal, and that they should have a more even mix. I still stand by that. Auburn people need to hear from the other side. Berkeley people need to hear from the other side. The entire reason to go to college is to experience what you do not know, to learn what you do not know, to understand a larger part of the world so you can lead your family, peers, and the community forward.  

The worst thing to happen in America is Validation Bias. Where you only hear what you know and you get validation that the only good thing is what you already know. And yes, I blame Limbaugh and Hannity and Fox News for the start of this. But now I blame the MSM for the same thing too. This entire nation needs an intellectual enema. We need to shut up and listen to other people, other views. We need to act like adults. Hell, I now sound like a loon to most of you for stating what should be the obvious. 

Maybe the guy is too shrill, That may be valid. But also just as valid is that we need to let the other side be heard so we can grow as adults. That's the whole concept of a UNIVERSITY. Its right there in the name...You should get exposed to the entire range of ideas and history of intellectualism across the ages.

More History, less histrionics.
More Open-Pursuit of Ideas, not fast tracking into hyper partisanship,
less face-palms for people who are legitimately trying to grow Intellectually or challenge your myopic thinking.  

I love Auburn because it is a bastion of what I think are the Great Southern Traditional ideas. We have one of the largest ROTC Groups in the Nation and send large numbers of people into the services. That is a GREAT THING. Should be more HONORED.  We are a great Engineering, Ag, Vet, Business, Computer, IT and DT Tech School. But honestly, we could do better as much less of the stuffed shirts we are and enjoy the world a little more.

Exposure to outside thoughts and ideas also means that the other side got exposed to your thoughts and ideas too. 

“Hearing both sides” is completely all totally what I’m all about. This we agree. I urge professors to encourage students to listen to ALL SIDES. I don’t want a professor who is one sided only in such a ridiculous way. That’s some weak s***.  I don’t think many other universities would want it either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He is free to say it, as neither I nor anyone else can control what comes out of his mouth.

We are also free to criticize and even ridicule it. 

Employers typically frown on employees that publicly do or say things that do not reflect favorably on the employing entity.  Right, wrong or indifferent, that's the way of the world. He should be prepared to deal with the professional consequences that come his way as a result.

His screed sounds very much like someone trying to be "trendy woke provocative" and seeing what sort of a reaction he can get.

If this is what he really believes, though, then it doesn't sound like he's very interested in an exchange of ideas, as his mind seems to be made up already.

Someone who, by the words he spoke, ostensibly has that much blanket animus for a group (police) that doesn't deserve it doesn't sound like someone I would enjoy being around.

I don't really recall any of my history, English or psychology profs being overly (or overtly) political, but then again, I wasn't looking for it...if they were, I paid it no heed. This was also 30+ years ago, granted.

If I were in this guy's class, my primary concerns would be "can he set aside his personal biases and evaluate my work objectively" and "can he present course material in as balanced a fashion as possible." Maybe he can, maybe he can't...don't know. I'd be skeptical, though, given what he's put out there about his views.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Stupid thing to say, but he has the right to say it.

Indeed, I don’t think anyone said he didn’t. I’m pretty sure the thing is, his employer, that being AUburn, can take action. Much the same if I did social media and posted stuff my department deemed outside their policies, I’d be reprimanded (see the Homewood officer that was recently demoted for posting his rap). I’m not offended by his comments as a cop but I do think they’re ignorant and misrepresentative of what we do. I don’t think he should be fired or necessarily reprimanded. However, if someone expresses a far right opinion, I don’t think they should be reprimanded either. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

We are also free to criticize and even ridicule it. 

Also very true.  Maybe one day he'll grow up, but right now he sounds like an immature brat.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does this clown's Twitter screed have anything to do with how conservative AU is or isn't? He shouldn't keep his job even if he was on Columbia's faculty.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Also very true.  Maybe one day he'll grow up, but right now he sounds like an immature brat.  

He has no business trying to "educate" our young people. He is only there really to indoctrinate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DKW 86 said:


less face-palms for people who are legitimately trying to grow Intellectually or challenge your myopic thinking.  

Exposure to outside thoughts and ideas also means that the other side got exposed to your thoughts and ideas too. 

Plenty of folks have been listening to the radical leftist ideas (obviously that is what you are refering to as outside thoughts and ideas) for so long now that we now have identity politics, non-binary gender and about 1000 other totally whacked out social policies taking over this once great country. But I am glad you can sleep at night being WOKE and all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Plenty of folks have been listening to the radical leftist ideas (obviously that is what you are refering to as outside thoughts and ideas) for so long now that we now have identity politics, non-binary gender and about 1000 other totally whacked out social policies taking over this once great country. But I am glad you can sleep at night being WOKE and all.

AND...we are free to discriminate on the validity of all these ideas. Just because someone says it, doesn’t make it so...😂

Theoretical Physicists....still laughing at that one. Sheldon Cooper and his comments and projections on what no one living will be around to grade him on. <smdh>

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Indeed, I don’t think anyone said he didn’t. I’m pretty sure the thing is, his employer, that being AUburn, can take action. Much the same if I did social media and posted stuff my department deemed outside their policies, I’d be reprimanded (see the Homewood officer that was recently demoted for posting his rap). I’m not offended by his comments as a cop but I do think they’re ignorant and misrepresentative of what we do. I don’t think he should be fired or necessarily reprimanded. However, if someone expresses a far right opinion, I don’t think they should be reprimanded either. 

Auburn actually has to be a little careful with how/if they reprimand here.  Being a public university, there's a legitimate First Amendment issue here that could get the university in trouble.  If he was working for a private company or even a private university, he'd probably be gone already.

With that, what the guy said is beyond stupid.  I think there's absolutely some reforms and improvements to how we police in our society, but being anti-police altogether is just stupid.  Too many good cops out there to throw out the blanket statement like this ass hat.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Auburn actually has to be a little careful with how/if they reprimand here.  Being a public university, there's a legitimate First Amendment issue here that could get the university in trouble.  If he was working for a private company or even a private university, he'd probably be gone already.

 

I don’t agree that there is a legitimate First Amendment issue here.  It is possible, however, that the professor is in a protected class...I think I recall that he is gay. 
 

Here is a line from Wiki that is informative re: the First Amendment:

Although the First Amendment applies only to state actors,[1] there is a common misconception that it prohibits anyone from limiting free speech, including private, non-governmental entities.[2]

  • Dislike 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Brad, it is possible that you may be correct, but I would argue that what he said is not protected speech.  Courts have ruled that the FA does not give one the right to incite actions that would harm others.  Given the cuurent climate in this country where cops are being physically harmed and even killed, I would argue that professor IS inciting actions that would harm them.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to change the subject, but I thought this was an interesting article that is at least tangentially related:

We train police to be warriors — and then send them out to be social workers

Richard Nixon called police forces “the real front-line soldiers in the war on crime.” Bill Clinton, in his signing ceremony for the 1994 crime bill, called them “the brave men and women who put their lives on the line for us every day.” In 2018, Donald Trump described their job as follows: “Every day, our police officers race into darkened allies and deserted streets, and onto the doorsteps of the most hardened criminals … the worst of humanity.”

For decades, the warrior cop has been the popular image of police in America, reinforced by TV shows, movies, media, police recruitment videos, police leaders, and public officials.

This image is largely misleading. Police do fight crime, to be sure — but they are mainly called upon to be social workers, conflict mediators, traffic directors, mental health counselors, detailed report writers, neighborhood patrollers, and low-level law enforcers, sometimes all in the span of a single shift. In fact, the overwhelming majority of officers spend only a small fraction of their time responding to violent crime.........

Read the rest at:

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/31/21334190/what-police-do-defund-abolish-police-reform-training

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

..........Reimagining the role police play in our society is far from being anti-police. Plenty of police officers recognize that our current one-size-fits-all approach to public safety is fundamentally broken. They lament the fact that we ask police to solve far too many of our social problems and don’t give them the training or resources they need to do so — and then point the finger at them when they inevitably come up short.

“The reason I think we need to rethink policing is because I care about police,” says Rizer, the former officer and R Street researcher. “I want to make policing prestigious again — not the prestige of power, but the prestige of respect. But in order to do that, we need to stop underfunding everything else and leaving the police holding a bag of s***.”

 - op.cit.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike4AU said:

I don’t agree that there is a legitimate First Amendment issue here.  It is possible, however, that the professor is in a protected class...I think I recall that he is gay. 
 

Here is a line from Wiki that is informative re: the First Amendment:

Although the First Amendment applies only to state actors,[1] there is a common misconception that it prohibits anyone from limiting free speech, including private, non-governmental entities.[2]

Auburn doesn't count as a "private, non-governmental entity".  It's a public institution using public dollars.  There very much is a First Amendment issue at play that wouldn't apply to somewhere like a Samford, which is private.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Brad, it is possible that you may be correct, but I would argue that what he said is not protected speech.  Courts have ruled that the FA does not give one the right to incite actions that would harm others.  Given the cuurent climate in this country where cops are being physically harmed and even killed, I would argue that professor IS inciting actions that would harm them.  

This would be very hard to prove.  He's not arguing for or directly calling for violence against the police.  He's calling for cops to resign.  You're stretching this a lot.

I'm more well read on FA law than I care to be due my degree fields.  With the law interpretations as decided by precedent, he's 100% covered at this point.  There's truly not much AU can do being a public school.  It's the same reason why AU can't stop idiotic "preachers" who tell kids that we're all going to hell for attending a co-ed university from coming on campus and spewing their crap.

Edited by Brad_ATX
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

This would be very hard to prove.  He's not arguing for or directly calling for violence against the police.  He's calling for cops to resign.  You're stretching this a lot.

I'm more well read on FA law than I care to be due my degree fields.  With the law interpretations as decided by precedent, he's 100% covered at this point.  There's truly not much AU can do being a public school.  It's the same reason why AU can't stop idiotic "preachers" who tell kids that we're all going to hell for attending a co-ed university from coming on campus and spewing their crap.

I. Remember. Brother Jed and Sister Cindy. On the Concourse.  From 1984-88.  Anyone else?  (My eyes were WIDE open...🤣)

("Not a good look....")

Edited by ToraGirl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, alexava said:

“Hearing both sides” is completely all totally what I’m all about. This we agree. I urge professors to encourage students to listen to ALL SIDES. I don’t want a professor who is one sided only in such a ridiculous way. That’s some weak s***.  I don’t think many other universities would want it either. 

there is a humorous object lesson in listening to stupid people too tho. Listening to Glenn Beck years ago (2002 or so?) got me to really look at what and who Fox News had on the air. Mark Levin had a show on back then too. Beck-Levin-Hannity-Rush-Fox News hell they became toxic to me and my family. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, homersapien said:

..........Reimagining the role police play in our society is far from being anti-police. Plenty of police officers recognize that our current one-size-fits-all approach to public safety is fundamentally broken. They lament the fact that we ask police to solve far too many of our social problems and don’t give them the training or resources they need to do so — and then point the finger at them when they inevitably come up short.

“The reason I think we need to rethink policing is because I care about police,” says Rizer, the former officer and R Street researcher. “I want to make policing prestigious again — not the prestige of power, but the prestige of respect. But in order to do that, we need to stop underfunding everything else and leaving the police holding a bag of s***.”

 - op.cit.

Absolutely true. Support 1000% 
I would add my .02: We must quit buying/donating APCs etc to police departments. We must stop the militarization of the police.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

there is a humorous object lesson in listening to stupid people too tho. Listening to Glenn Beck years ago (2002 or so?) got me to really look at what and who Fox News had on the air. Mark Levin had a show on back then too. Beck-Levin-Hannity-Rush-Fox News hell they became toxic to me and my family. 

i remember when hannity had a lib partner on the show with him. alan something. hannity was so rude i quit watching. well that and his downright lies..............

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i remember when hannity had a lib partner on the show with him. alan something. hannity was so rude i quit watching. well that and his downright lies..............

Colmes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...