Erase One Play

AUFriction

Okay, so I have to admit that I stole this from a turd forum. I just had to know what they were saying about Updyke 😳, so I glanced over there where I ended up coming across a really interesting idea. 

If you could erase one play in college football history to help Auburn in some way, what would it be? (Note: It doesn’t necessarily have to be an Auburn game. Example- One of the turds mentioned the Ricardo Louis Hail Mary because, had we lost to UGA, the kick six game wouldn’t have mattered.)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our DBs crashing into each other during the NC game.

All you had to do was keep everything in front of you and force FSU to drive the field. Instead they got a huge play and the rest is history.

Tre Mason scoring on a reach out in the NC in the last 2 minutes. If he hadn’t scored so quickly, we kill the clock, and FSU has no chance to score the go ahead TD.

I'd erase Van Tiffin's last second field goal in the '85 Iron Bowl. That one still irks me the worst.

1 minute ago, im4aual said:

LSU touchdown in 1988

This. Rocker, Stallworth....hell, just somebody get to Hodson on third or fourth down there and we win a natty that year

22 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'd erase Van Tiffin's last second field goal in the '85 Iron Bowl. That one still irks me the worst.

That is definitely in my top 5. Sitting in Legion Field that day for what was an incredible game ending in that last drive and THAT play......gives me an ulcer

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

Our DBs crashing into each other during the NC game.

All you had to do was keep everything in front of you and force FSU to drive the field. Instead they got a huge play and the rest is history.

If you watch the play closely, you can see how it turned into what it did. Absolutely perfect play call and execution on their end more than it was anything we did wrong on ours. Watch the guy that drags across the middle and pulls the safety for a split of a split second. Davis took a bad angle but I would imagine his first job was to keep everything inside. 

The play that I don't want to erase but just want to tweak one small thing... the missed block at the 2:52:56 mark... two guys could've blocked him... this play should've actually worked. I guarantee you it still haunts Gus nightly. 

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

Tre Mason scoring on a reach out in the NC in the last 2 minutes. If he hadn’t scored so quickly, we kill the clock, and FSU has no chance to score the go ahead TD.

Exactly what I was thinking

The 2017 Iron Bowl play where Kerryon injured his shoulder. We would’ve beaten UGA (twice in one year) won an SEC title and made the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, AUFriction said:

Good point. When that happened I was upset because I knew we had scored too soon.

1. Actually look for the fake punt vs FSU

2. Defend the 4th and 25 against UGA where they scored on the last play

3. Defend Bobo's last second 4th down heave as time expired

4. Knock down the LSU fake FG on last play

5. Catch the TD pass against Eli Manning and the Rebs

6. Don't foul the Virginia shooter in final second

7. Oklahoma State makes key stop against Iowa State in 2011

Not necessarily in that order

14 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

You've got a real knack for reopening old wounds, pouring salt in them, and then kicking a guy right in his secret special place. 

29 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

#1 is right on. If our wr whose name eludes me “Ray”? Anyway he is on that ST unit and follow the guy running opposite direction the ball ended up going. If he gets two steps deeper he annihilates that play. The game is basically out of reach. 

50 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Omg that fake punt pissed me off. My whole section was yellling that out prior to the play. Like FSU was super desperate. So it coming a mile away. Hindsight is 20/20.

Nick Marshall hitting Ricardo Louis deep in the first quarter of the BCS title game. It was an overthrow and a guaranteed 6. Even with the fake punt, the DBs crashing into each other, etc we have that extra early TD in our pocket forcing FSU into even further desperation. 

But I'd just settle on Jonathan Jones' hamstring not getting pulled during the FSU kickoff return. Ugh.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The play that I don't want to erase but just want to tweak one small thing... the missed block at the 2:52:56 mark... two guys could've blocked him... this play should've actually worked. I guarantee you it still haunts Gus nightly. 

You know what's always bothered me about that last play?  We threw it back to Tre.  He was gassed.  We had a speed demon named Corey Grant just sitting on the bench.  Put him in and he may damn we'll outrun those missed blocks anyway.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

You know what's always bothered me about that last play?  We threw it back to Tre.  He was gassed.  We had a speed demon named Corey Grant just sitting on the bench.  Put him in and he may damn we'll outrun those missed blocks anyway.

Parks and Recreation | GIFGlobe

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

This is the right answer.  I remember looking at my step-dad in the stands and saying "If we get this and score, this is over."

Of course, FSU converts and scores.  The moment they did, I looked back at him and said "New ballgame" even though it was still 21-10.

Erase one play(er)

Eric Ramsey. It's a little complicated because without him we almost certainly don't have the coaching change and get Bowden, but we aren't on probation and the '93 team gets its deserved NC. 

They're all painful, so I'll list them in order of significance for Auburn's season had they been erased.

1. 2013 FSU - Jameis Winston to Kelvin Benjamin TD pass with 13 seconds left. Obviously, a National Championship if we stop that play plus the last couple of plays after that.

2. 1988 LSU - Tommy Hudson to Eddie Fuller TD pass on 4th & 10 with 1:47 left. As many have stated throughout history, a win here likely pits Auburn vs Notre Dame for the National Championship.

3. 1986 Florida - Kerwin Bell 2-point conversion with 36 seconds left. A win here catapults Auburn into the National Championship running with Miami and Penn St.

4. 1994 Georgia - Eric Zeier to Brice Hunter TD pass on 3rd & 4 with 13:06 left. This one crushed my soul to its core. If we beat Georgia, I have no doubt we beat bammer the next week to finish off a 2nd consecutive 11-0 season.

5. 1997 Tennessee - Peyton Manning to Marcus Nash TD pass with 11:26 left. Plenty of opportunities after this play, but it was the last score for Tennessee to keep Auburn from a SEC Championship.

6. 2014 Texas A&M - Dismukes bad snap with 56 seconds left. Who knows, a win here might have catapulted this team into the Playoffs.

7. 2007 LSU - Matt Flynn to Demetrius Byrd TD pass on 3rd & 7 with 9 seconds left. Even with a win, I doubt Auburn reaches the SECCG, but it certainly would have ended LSU's run.

8. 1985 bammer - Van Tiffin kick. No championship on the line. Just bragging rights. Receiver was down in-bounds TWO YARDS FROM THE SIDELINE the play prior with no timeouts, which would have ended the game had the Side Judge called it correctly...

ylejAGr.jpg

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

This right here!!

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

If you watch the play closely, you can see how it turned into what it did. Absolutely perfect play call and execution on their end more than it was anything we did wrong on ours. Watch the guy that drags across the middle and pulls the safety for a split of a split second. Davis took a bad angle but I would imagine his first job was to keep everything inside. 

Haven't Watched that game since... Probably never will. Too painful. 

Great season though.

36 minutes ago, Tiger said:

But I'd just settle on Jonathan Jones' hamstring not getting pulled during the FSU kickoff return. Ugh.

Better yet, Cody Parkey, who was 70.4% on touchbacks that season, simply put that one through the end zone.

Archived