Erase One Play

AUFriction

@Viper  great job catching and prioritizing...

but the Van Tiffany FG meant I had to ride back to campus with a bama fan.....  Maybe you didn't know.   Oh yeah, you couldn't have - Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet.  It was not fun and yeah I was there.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Viper said:

They're all painful, so I'll list them in order of significance for Auburn's season had they been erased.

1. 2013 FSU - Jameis Winston to Kelvin Benjamin TD pass with 13 seconds left. Obviously, a National Championship if we stop that play plus the last couple of plays after that.

2. 1988 LSU - Tommy Hudson to Eddie Fuller TD pass on 4th & 10 with 1:47 left. As many have stated throughout history, a win here likely pits Auburn vs Notre Dame for the National Championship.

3. 1986 Florida - Kerwin Bell 2-point conversion with 36 seconds left. A win here catapults Auburn into the National Championship running with Miami and Penn St.

4. 1994 Georgia - Eric Zeier to Brice Hunter TD pass on 3rd & 4 with 13:06 left. This one crushed my soul to its core. If we beat Georgia, I have no doubt we beat bammer the next week to finish off a 2nd consecutive 11-0 season.

5. 1997 Tennessee - Peyton Manning to Marcus Nash TD pass with 11:26 left. Plenty of opportunities after this play, but it was the last score for Tennessee to keep Auburn from a SEC Championship.

6. 2014 Texas A&M - Dismukes bad snap with 56 seconds left. Who knows, a win here might have catapulted this team into the Playoffs.

7. 2007 LSU - Matt Flynn to Demetrius Byrd TD pass on 3rd & 7 with 9 seconds left. Even with a win, I doubt Auburn reaches the SECCG, but it certainly would have ended LSU's run.

8. 1985 bammer - Van Tiffin kick. No championship on the line. Just bragging rights. Receiver was down in-bounds TWO YARDS FROM THE SIDELINE the play prior with no timeouts, which would have ended the game had the Side Judge called it correctly...

ylejAGr.jpg

How could I forget the Matt Flynn Hail Mary? I was at that game too. What a long bus ride back to the plains that night!

All the different 2013 BCSCG should finally prove to everyone that their favorite least favorite play isn't actually the reason we lost the game. 

23 minutes ago, Beaker said:

@Viper  great job catching and prioritizing...

but the Van Tiffany FG meant I had to ride back to campus with a bama fan.....  Maybe you didn't know.   Oh yeah, you couldn't have - Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet.  It was not fun and yeah I was there.

Thanks.

I was an early teen then visiting my Grandmother over Thanksgiving weekend. We left her house right after the game. I tuned in to a Birmingham radio station and it was all bammers calling in requesting Sweet Home Alabama. Have loathed that song ever since.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

All the different 2013 BCSCG should finally prove to everyone that their favorite least favorite play isn't actually the reason we lost the game. 

It certainly took a plethora of small miracles for FSU to win. I have since viewed it as the football gods taking back what they rented us and handing it to the Noles.

I've said it before...if Tre Mason had scored on the last play, it would have dwarfed the Kick Six, which dwarfed the Miracle at JH. The football gods said nope, your time is up.

The death nail of it all. Tre Mason hitting that heisman pose prior to the last stand.

I've still yet to watch the 2nd half of the FSU game since witnessing it in person.  I always turn it off at halftime.

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I've still yet to watch the 2nd half of the FSU game since witnessing it in person.  I always turn it off at halftime.

Watching the links I posted above, I started noticing even more small things. 

It's like watching Titanic. You know what's coming. But every time, you yell at Rose for not sharing that giant chunk of boat with Jack. Why, Rose? Why!??!?!

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

The death nail of it all. Tre Mason hitting that heisman pose prior to the last stand.

I had no problem with it. That was one awesome ass play. I had more of a problem with him spiking the ball, which always gets flagged, but for some reason, that time it didn't.

We gave Winston the EXACT amount of time left (1:19) as Johnny Manziel. Stopping one out of two Heisman QBs in one season under two minutes left wasn't bad.

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

I had no problem with it. That was one awesome ass play. I had more of a problem with him spiking the ball, which always gets flagged, but for some reason, that time it didn't.

We gave Winston the EXACT amount of time left (1:19) as Johnny Manziel. Stopping one out of two Heisman QBs in one season under two minutes left wasn't bad.

I am honestly never against the player scoring when they have the opportunity to get the lead. You may never get that opportunity. It is up to the defense to force the pressure of the opposing team to go the length.

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am honestly never against the player scoring when they have the opportunity to get the lead. You may never get that opportunity. It is up to the defense to force the pressure of the opposing team to go the length.

Agreed. Had Mason slid down at the 1-yard line, it's not a guarantee you get in. Reference 2014 Texas A&M and every other goalline stand & blunder in the history of football. Plus FSU had two timeouts left. Not a ton of clock we could have run off unless we had gotten to 2nd, then 3rd & G at the 1. Then it REALLY becomes ass-clinching time.

If I had it to do over again, 100 out of 100 times, I'm telling Mason to keep running. We held Manziel with 1:19 left on his field. We almost did it on a neutral field against Winston.

Jonathan Jones hamstring. All we needed was for somebody to bring him down to burn more time. The only thing we shouldn’t have allowed in that situation was a KR for TD and we allowed the one thing that shouldn’t have happened smh

Ya know, I was just thinking I'd like to see a bama version of this thread. A lot of the "erase one play" comments would have to be about Auburn. :) 

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Agreed. Had Mason slid down at the 1-yard line, it's not a guarantee you get in. Reference 2014 Texas A&M and every other goalline stand & blunder in the history of football. Plus FSU had two timeouts left. Not a ton of clock we could have run off unless we had gotten to 2nd, then 3rd & G at the 1. Then it REALLY becomes ass-clinching time.

If I had it to do over again, 100 out of 100 times, I'm telling Mason to keep running. We held Manziel with 1:19 left on his field. We almost did it on a neutral field against Winston.

Mason wasn't prone to fumbling the way CAP was. Would've been a chip shot field goal to tie if need be.

So yeah, Tre rolling down at the 1 is my pick. Followed by Samir (I think) being just a foot further away from Virginia's shooter. I mean, don't those pretty much have to be my top two?

My number three is easily LSU 2017--the punt return. We win that game 23-20 and the SECC really doesn't matter--we have a more impressive resume than both tOSU and UAT, and would've likely gotten that fourth spot. Yeah we would've probably gotten smoked by Clemson in the Sugar but a playoff berth would still have been better than playing in the Peach vs. UCF on NY morning, plus it would've kept UAT out.

For somewhat less important games, 2014 A&M is near the top--what a waste of talent that team was. 2007, 8 and 18 LSU come to mind as well.

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Would've been a chip shot field goal to tie if need be.

Sure, but after sliding down, a FG would have been humiliating for us, and a monster momentum boost for FSU going into OT.

52 minutes ago, Viper said:

Yeah. There is no legitimate school of football thought that tells him not to go in right there.

the one as far it applies to Auburn should be pretty easy. if we were talking not applicable to Auburn, ND not fumbling versus Georgia and finding a way to score would pretty high up there. Ruins their shot at making it to the CFP and probably eases our job as far as recruiting significantly 

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

If you watch the play closely, you can see how it turned into what it did. Absolutely perfect play call and execution on their end more than it was anything we did wrong on ours. Watch the guy that drags across the middle and pulls the safety for a split of a split second. Davis took a bad angle but I would imagine his first job was to keep everything inside. 

The play that I don't want to erase but just want to tweak one small thing... the missed block at the 2:52:56 mark... two guys could've blocked him... this play should've actually worked. I guarantee you it still haunts Gus nightly. 

It haunted me for weeks. You could still do blind side blocks back then too. If the guy that looks back at him just hits him with one of those (very risky, I get it), you have ~5 blockers for the remaining 7 defenders and a RB who's been great at breaking tackles all season. It was fantastic execution, just ruined by the minutia  

I wonder how many Bammer homers help pay that guys funeral. Don't forget the banners looked up to him after what he did. Some even offered to pay his court cost.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Would've been a chip shot field goal to tie if need be.

That's my issue right there. It should be a chip shot but you never want to put it in the hands of special teams if you can avoid. Parkey had already missed a relatively easy FG for his range in the first half. A lot of things can go wrong in that scenario. Failed snap, a blocked kick, etc. 

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I wonder how many Bammer homers help pay that guys funeral. Don't forget the banners looked up to him after what he did. Some even offered to pay his court cost.

tenor (3).gif

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It haunted me for weeks. You could still do blind side blocks back then too. If the guy that looks back at him just hits him with one of those (very risky, I get it), you have ~5 blockers for the remaining 7 defenders and a RB who's been great at breaking tackles all season. It was fantastic execution, just ruined by the minutia  

It was perfectly set up. The OL looked liked they had never blocked a screen pass in their lives. And this was a veteran OL. I will never understand why they weren’t just finding jerseys to block. They instead wanted to find where Mason was.

d8dd7dfb6e86212452a6d171fea8e6b7.gif

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

So yeah, Tre rolling down at the 1 is my pick.

I just don’t believe it would have worked as smoothly as you and others over the years have visualized. FSU had arguably the best DT in the nation. Marshall and CAP blew the exchange in the 2014 A&M game. Sooooooo many things can go wrong while trying to burn time trying to score. And if FSU allows AU to score on 1st down or if AU simply scores on 1st down, it’s a moot point. FSU still has 1:10-ish to score, which they accomplished. So Mason sliding at the 1-yard line isn’t a foregone conclusion AU wins. 

Archived