2023 5* PG Scoot Henderson

gravejd

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Now I do wish the GLeague and NCAA would work cooperatively to align signing periods so that coaches aren’t caught in a bind...don’t know enough about the situation to know if that’s feasible tho.

Other than trying to figure out to implement the NIL on their side of things, the NCAA’s basketball department seems more willing to just ignore the GLeague than work with them...at this moment

11 hours ago, AUDevil said:

G League is exactly what I think should happen in football.  Give talented kids who don’t want to attend school another path.  If it downgrades the talent level of college sports, so be it...I only root for the emblem on the uniform.

Now I do wish the GLeague and NCAA would work cooperatively to align signing periods so that coaches aren’t caught in a bind...don’t know enough about the situation to know if that’s feasible tho.

I think it would be harder for that to happen in football.  In basketball you can go straight from high school to the NBA and do fine if you are one of the top players in the league.  College football is a lot different in the difficulty level than high school, and the NFL is a lot more difficult than college.  I also feel like the high school ratings for football aren't as accurate for NFL readiness like the basketball ratings so college football is needed to help develop and evaluate.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I think it would be harder for that to happen in football.  In basketball you can go straight from high school to the NBA and do fine if you are one of the top players in the league.  College football is a lot different in the difficulty level than high school, and the NFL is a lot more difficult than college.  I also feel like the high school ratings for football aren't as accurate for NFL readiness like the basketball ratings so college football is needed to help develop and evaluate.

So what I'm saying is that you take the college part of it out and you either provide a full separation between athletics and the university -or- you encourage the NFL to invest in a developmental league and we end the charade of "student athlete" for those that aren't really interested in the "higher ed" part but are more focused on the money they can earn from football.

I'm approaching this from the perspective where I'm not as interested in the quality of the athlete...I'll watch NBA, NFL, MLB for that...I watch college sports for my love of AU, bragging rights over rivals, and all the other stuff.  It doesn't matter as much to me who is in the uniform.  I'm probably in the minority.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

So what I'm saying is that you take the college part of it out and you either provide a full separation between athletics and the university -or- you encourage the NFL to invest in a developmental league and we end the charade of "student athlete" for those that aren't really interested in the "higher ed" part but are more focused on the money they can earn from football.

I'm approaching this from the perspective where I'm not as interested in the quality of the athlete...I'll watch NBA, NFL, MLB for that...I watch college sports for my love of AU, bragging rights over rivals, and all the other stuff.  It doesn't matter as much to me who is in the uniform.  I'm probably in the minority.

Completely understand.  I may have done a poor job of explaining my thoughts.  A "G-League" for football may be tough due to the fact that going straight from high school to an NFL feeder team may be too much of a jump for high school kids in how fast the NFL is compared to college/high school.  College can be an easier curve to the NFL.  You would also need to take 40 players a year from high school where their rankings aren't as accurate.  If the player was overrated and does not pan out, then they just burned their ability to receive a free college education.  Who knows though, I could be wrong and it works out perfectly.

9 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Completely understand.  I may have done a poor job of explaining my thoughts.  A "G-League" for football may be tough due to the fact that going straight from high school to an NFL feeder team may be too much of a jump for high school kids in how fast the NFL is compared to college/high school.  College can be an easier curve to the NFL.  You would also need to take 40 players a year from high school where their rankings aren't as accurate.  If the player was overrated and does not pan out, then they just burned their ability to receive a free college education.  Who knows though, I could be wrong and it works out perfectly.

Okay, so make the contracts they sign say that if they go bust, then the organization will pay for them to attend college. That's how they do it in baseball...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Okay, so make the contracts they sign say that if they go bust, then the organization will pay for them to attend college. That's how they do it in baseball...

I will have to admit I did not know that.  I don’t really watch or follow baseball unless Auburn is playing. 

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I will have to admit I did not know that.  I don’t really watch or follow baseball unless Auburn is playing. 

We've had a couple of former minor league players come back to play football for us, and they didn't have to count against the 85 limit because the team that drafted them paid their way. That's the main reason I know about it.

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

kiss of death

Can never guess right if you stop guessing lol

• Like 1

My take on the G league is way different than most. I think it should be canned, not allowed, period. I think the college BBall game has gone down the tubes from the likes of the G league (a league that no one even watches) and college enrollees ability to go pro after 1 year.

I would like BBall to be like Football. Kids have to stay till their Junior year. If this happened the college game would be much better and you could actually cheer for kids on your team for enough time to actually feel like they are family. I mean, come on; all we got from S Cooper was a tease. I wanted more. 

Chances of this happening are probably zero.....but it would be nice.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 2

21 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

My take on the G league is way different than most. I think it should be canned, not allowed, period. I think the college BBall game has gone down the tubes from the likes of the G league (a league that no one even watches) and college enrollees ability to go pro after 1 year.

I would like BBall to be like Football. Kids have to stay till their Junior year. If this happened the college game would be much better and you could actually cheer for kids on your team for enough time to actually feel like they are family. I mean, come on; all we got from S Cooper was a tease. I wanted more. 

And thank goodness it is not like this. You do something like that and all kids would do is start going overseas. Lamelo set the blue print for that one.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I mean as an AU fan i see where you are coming from and i would have loved to see Sharife for another season or 2. But as a human being who recognizes these guys are also human beings that were not put on the planet to entertain me and score points for my school i think thats a terrible thing to do. I can kind of see justifying the rule in football cause you don't want 18 yo kids playing a violent game against 25 year olds. But in basketball there is no reason to stop these guys from going straight to the pros. The better solution is to get rid of the NBA age limit or lower it to 18. If these guys want to go straight to the pros let them. That way the ones that need to come and develop will and the ones who want to get paid can do that as well. There will be some like Okoro who come in and blow up and leave after 1 season but i bet the number would be greatly reduced. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 4:10 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Well no s*** Sherlock. We are Auburn fans who are extremely pissed that a guy who we have led for for over 2 years is getting stolen right out from under us at the 11th hour. do you want us to be excited and elated for this to happen again like with Jalen green?

We can understand why he is going to the G league but still be upset about it. Of course we aren't going to fault a kid for turning down that kind of money. Don't have to like it one bit since he would of made AU a lot better.

Maybe we need to make a "strong a** offer."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2021 at 4:10 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Well no s*** Sherlock. We are Auburn fans who are extremely pissed that a guy who we have led for for over 2 years is getting stolen right out from under us at the 11th hour. do you want us to be excited and elated for this to happen again like with Jalen green?

We can understand why he is going to the G league but still be upset about it. Of course we aren't going to fault a kid for turning down that kind of money. Don't have to like it one bit since he would of made AU a lot better.

Robert-Downey-Jr.-Absolutely-Gif-In-Sherlock-Holmes.gif

• Love 1

7 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

....This reeks of selfish desire. Yes, of course, as Auburn fans, we want to see great players here for longer, but the fact of the matter is that some kids are ready to play professionally at 19. If you ask Bruce Pearl whether Isaac Okoro was ready for the NBA last year, before he ever played for Auburn, he'd probably say yes, and his play this season has certainly suggested he was ready after only one year in college.

I'm sorry, but this take is exactly what is wrong with college athletics. We want to exploit the athletes for our own entertainment while giving them room and board, essentially. They are gladiators, and like their Roman counterparts, they must fight for their meals. Right?

Look, I get it. You don't get to follow the progression of great players for very long most of the time, so it makes it more difficult to keep up with all the turnover, and the peaks and valleys that always seem to come with such volatility, but come on, if you're studying to be an engineer, and after your freshman year, you've shown so much promise that a drafting company wants to pay you a quarter million dollars a year to teach you the rest of what you need to know on the job, how likely are you to turn down that offer?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Officially to the ******* G-League and it's being reported he's getting $1m

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Officially to the ******* G-League and it's being reported he's getting $1m

Holy hell 1m dollars!!! Good for Scoot and his family. 

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

A million ******* dollars

i can’t even be mad lmfao 

Not mad at Scoot but man **** the G League

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Not mad at Scoot but man **** the G League

Obv from the Auburn perspective, I agree. But the GLeague should certainly not be disrespected in what they’re doing for the player. They’re treating the players like what they’re worth, when the NCAA has failed to do so for decades (and we all have said that in reference to the NCAA for a while). 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Holy hell 1m dollars!!! Good for Scoot and his family. 

I love Auburn but there’s no way in hell he should’ve turned this down to play college ball for two years.

• Like 1
  • Love 1