What was the First Concert you attended?

Tigermike

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Metallica, BJCC, Justice tour in '88 or '89 I think. Queensryche opened. They were... not my thing. Metallica was absolutely incredible. I was 13 or 14. My date was a redhead a little older than me. My dad drove us and read a book outside. Pretty cool night. 

Many at 5 points music hall. Older brother was a local musician of moderate local fame late 90s.

First big concert? Chimaira, Fear Factory, Slipknot. 2004. Had a bad metal phase in high school.

That concert was at Sloss though. Awesome venue for metal.

30 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Metallica, BJCC, Justice tour in '88 or '89 I think. Queensryche opened. They were... not my thing. Metallica was absolutely incredible. I was 13 or 14. My date was a redhead a little older than me. My dad drove us and read a book outside. Pretty cool night. 

56 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Many at 5 points music hall. Older brother was a local musician of moderate local fame late 90s.

First big concert? Chimaira, Fear Factory, Slipknot. 2004. Had a bad metal phase in high school.

That concert was at Sloss though. Awesome venue for metal.

Awesome venue for Tenacious D, too. One of the best concerts I've ever seen. And it was completely, unironically awesome when they did a bit where KG said, "Roll Tide" and the place went 2/3 nuts, but then JB said, "Yeah, well, WAR F***ING EAGLE!" and the other 1/3 of us went twice as nuts. 

KISS at Rickwood field. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Awesome venue for Tenacious D, too. One of the best concerts I've ever seen. And it was completely, unironically awesome when they did a bit where KG said, "Roll Tide" and the place went 2/3 nuts, but then JB said, "Yeah, well, WAR F***ING EAGLE!" and the other 1/3 of us went twice as nuts. 

I think I'm the only guy on the planet that found the pick of destiny funny. 

Rod Stewart back in the ‘80s with my mom, aunt, brother, and cousins. The first I can remember was Ratt, Great White, and Kix at the Oak Mountain Amphitheater. Shortly after that one was Motley Crue and Warrant at BJCC. All of this by my 14th birthday. 

12 hours ago, aubearcat said:

Rod Stewart back in the ‘80s with my mom, aunt, brother, and cousins. The first I can remember was Ratt, Great White, and Kix at the Oak Mountain Amphitheater. Shortly after that one was Motley Crue and Warrant at BJCC. All of this by my 14th birthday. 

"I walked into Oak Mountain as a boy. I left BJCC as a man."

Can't imagine what you saw at those shows and what that was like for a kid that age. Hahaha. 

Innocence was gone after the Crue show. It was the Dr Feelgood tour and I saw girls like I’d never seen them before   👀👀👀

1980 AC/DC Mobile Municipal Auditorium.......A Beaver Productions ticket price 8.00.......Midnight Flyer I believe was opening act.👍

16 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

1980 AC/DC Mobile Municipal Auditorium.......A Beaver Productions ticket price 8.00.......Midnight Flyer I believe was opening act.👍

\m/

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

\m/

Caught a towel thrown by Gene Simmons during Vinnie Vincent's guitar solo in 1982.....kept towel which was coverd in makeup until 2005 when Katrina hit😢

One of the best concerts I ever went to was Pantera on the Far Beyond Driven tour. Mid ‘90s at Oak Mountain with White Zombie as the opening act. Phil must’ve been heroin free that because they were locked in and on point.  It was probably the last show they ever played in Birmingham. 

56 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

One of the best concerts I ever went to was Pantera on the Far Beyond Driven tour. Mid ‘90s at Oak Mountain with White Zombie as the opening act. Phil must’ve been heroin free that because they were locked in and on point.  It was probably the last show they ever played in Birmingham. 

I'm of the opinion that heavy metal's heaviness peaked with Pantera. There are bands I like better overall like Metallica, but peak Pantera is peak hard rock IMO.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I'm of the opinion that heavy metal's heaviness peaked with Pantera. There are bands I like better overall like Metallica, but peak Pantera is peak hard rock IMO.

Yeah, Metallica is my favorite but I also loved some Pantera. I have probably 7-10 Metallica t-shirts. My wife asked me if I thought I had enough and I said of course not. There’s never a situation where a Metallica t-shirt isn’t appropriate. Backpacks, ball caps, and Metallica t-shirts are my thing. 

15 hours ago, McLoofus said:

So totally agree.......afterwards bands they were calling metal didn't quite pass the smell test.

Well, assuming nightclubs like the "Crazy Horse" don't count, I think it was "Black Oak Arkansas" at the Alabama Theater, both in B'ham.  Sometime in the 60's.

When the lights go down and the band starts playing, light it up. ;)

Buckingham Nicks/Boutwell Auditorium. Amazing.

Lionel Richie/Pointer Sisters, Alabama, Chicago...

All AU Coliseum...I think...and I don't remember the order. When I researched, I discovered that Elvis Presley, John Denver (my parents probably went), and Bruce Springsteen all played it, too....mid-70s. I'm so glad Beard-Eaves has survived the wrecking ball to date, though 2013 articles thought it wouldn't. They keep it open for public walking, some sport practices, and certain AU classes.

Anyone else see concerts here, and whom did you see? Where else did AU StudentAct concerts take place? 

Recent favorites...Chicago-Doobies in Gwinnett and, of all things, Weird Al Yankovic, also Atlanta-ish (Chastain Park?). Our AU senior likes (some) of the old stuff, too...and these two are still putting it out there after decades!

Toby Mac fun anywhere, especially in tandem with collectives like WinterJam at the BJCC. 

Archived