What was the First Concert you attended?

Tigermike

2 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Lionel Richie/Pointer Sisters, Alabama, Chicago...

All AU Coliseum...I think...and I don't remember the order. When I researched, I discovered that Elvis Presley, John Denver (my parents probably went) and Bruce Springsteen all played it, too....mid-70s. I'm so glad Beard-Eaves has survived the wrecking ball to date, though 2013 articles thought it wouldn't. They keep it open for public walking, some sport practices, and certain AU classes.

Anyone else see concerts here, and whom did you see? Where else did AU StudentAct concerts take place? 

Way too many to mention but a few 

Elton John

Three Dog Night

Billy Preston

Moody Blues

Stephen Stills

Rare Earth

Commondores

Ike and Tina Turner

Iron Butterfly

Bob Hope-not a concert but still saw him there

Chicago

Beach Boys

and many many more

Also saw Buddy Miles at The Barn

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Way too many to mention but a few 

Elton John

Three Dog Night

Billy Preston

Moody Blues

Stephen Stills

Rare Earth

Commondores

Ike and Tina Turner

Iron Butterfly

Bob Hope-not a concert but still saw him there

Chicago

Beach Boys

and many many more

Also saw Buddy Miles at The Barn

Golf! We were at Chicago simultaneously and never knew! 🤣 (I hear tell Huey Lewis and the News came too...missed it.)

Saw Dana Carvey (hilarious) and Don Knotts (not) at some point...somewhere at AU. 

On 8/5/2020 at 1:33 PM, McLoofus said:

I'm of the opinion that heavy metal's heaviness peaked with Pantera. There are bands I like better overall like Metallica, but peak Pantera is peak hard rock IMO.

Metal got really derivative there for a while, but there's good metal out there and bands still advancing genre if you look hard enough. 

7 hours ago, AUDub said:

Metal got really derivative there for a while, but there's good metal out there and bands still advancing genre if you look hard enough. 

Oh, there's definitely good and interesting metal. I just haven't heard anything heavier. Admittedly, it could just be a case of me getting old and kids these days and all that.

Many many concerts in my past. My favorite....Wings 1976.  Actually saw a Beatle. 😎❤️

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I just haven't heard anything heavier. 

*laughs in Meshuggah*

12 hours ago, AUDub said:

There’s also about 100 sub genres of metal. I prefer stoner/sludge/doom. But then you have the “extreme” side of metal when you start getting into grindcore and the myriad other -core genres with the pig squeals and such. @McLoofus strikes me as a thrash metal kind of guy. 

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

*laughs in Meshuggah*

*Googles Meshuggah*

Yeah, thought it might be one of those types. That stuff is boring to me. 

I know there's stuff out there that I'd like, but I just haven't found it. Not that I've really looked that hard. Again with the getting old.

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

There’s also about 100 sub genres of metal. I prefer stoner/sludge/doom. But then you have the “extreme” side of metal when you start getting into grindcore and the myriad other -core genres with the pig squeals and such. @McLoofus strikes me as a thrash metal kind of guy. 

Pretty much. I was raised on those acronym bands- MOD, SOD, DRI... Loved Suicidal Tendencies. Liked Danzig a lot. Took me awhile to accept Metallica and all their melodic elements. Was gifted Justice and learned to love it. Worked my way back from there. Never got into any of the albums after that, although Enter Sandman is still one of the best songs ever, and their most recent stuff is good. RATM of course occupies their own stratosphere, but I don't think of them as "metal".

But that extreme/black/death metal stuff now... Just monotonous to me. I hear a lot more texture from those other bands I mentioned. As far as current stuff, I lean more towards hip hop (RTJ, Death Grips), Jack White and some of his projects, that newest Sturgill album, Idles... Wolfmother , even. Although I'm not sure if they're still a thing.

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Groove metal guy when I'm not going crazy pretentious experimental stuff.

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

*Googles Meshuggah*

Yeah, thought it might be one of those types. That stuff is boring to me. 

I know there's stuff out there that I'd like, but I just haven't found it. Not that I've really looked that hard. Again with the getting old.

It's an acquired taste for sure. It's super complex though, which is easy to miss because of how dense it is. No one else can do what they do rhythmically. 

That and a lot of people can't get past the death growl in a lot of that kind of music, which is fine. Not for everyone.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Pretty much. I was raised on those acronym bands- MOD, SOD, DRI... Loved Suicidal Tendencies. Liked Danzig a lot. Took me awhile to accept Metallica and all their melodic elements. Was gifted Justice and learned to love it. Worked my way back from there. Never got into any of the albums after that, although Enter Sandman is still one of the best songs ever, and their most recent stuff is good. RATM of course occupies their own stratosphere, but I don't think of them as "metal".

But that extreme/black/death metal stuff now... Just monotonous to me. I hear a lot more texture from those other bands I mentioned. As far as current stuff, I lean more towards hip hop (RTJ, Death Grips), Jack White and some of his projects, that newest Sturgill album, Idles... Wolfmother , even. Although I'm not sure if they're still a thing.

RATM is nu-metal imo if we’re looking at throwing them in a genre. They bend a lot of classifications though, like you said. 

Summoning is a good melodic/atmospheric  black metal band worth checking out. Old Mornings Dawn album in particular. Wolves in the Throne Room is another good one.

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

It's an acquired taste for sure. It's super complex though, which is easy to miss because of how dense it is. No one else can do what they do rhythmically. 

That and a lot of people can't get past the death growl in a lot of that kind of music, which is fine. Not for everyone.

Tech metal is some of the wildest music I’ve ever listened to. Aborted, Cryptopsy, Nile, Knights of the Abyss, Between the Buried and Me are some of my favorites of the genre. 

If there’s any music that’ll make you want to run through a wall, it’s tech metal. 

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Tech metal is some of the wildest music I’ve ever listened to. Aborted, Cryptopsy, Nile, Knights of the Abyss, Between the Buried and Me are some of my favorites of the genre. 

If there’s any music that’ll make you want to run through a wall, it’s tech metal. 

Love BTBAM. Could make a fair argument that they're my favorite band. Got into them at the perfect time, when they dropped their magnum opus, Colors. 

On 8/4/2020 at 1:40 PM, Tigermike said:

The summer of 1965   

The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones, The Righteous Brothers and several others.

rolling stones.jpg

Wvok Shower of Stars. Back when it was basically THE station for RandR. Joe Rumore #1 DJ. So many memories of a transistor radio. 

3 hours ago, AUDub said:

Love BTBAM. Could make a fair argument that they're my favorite band. Got into them at the perfect time, when they dropped their magnum opus, Colors. 

The Silent Circus is when I jumped into them. I was very heavy into MySpace music groups, and they really helped open my eyes to new music. 

12 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

The Silent Circus is when I jumped into them. I was very heavy into MySpace music groups, and they really helped open my eyes to new music. 

Silent Circus just got a remastered release. Guess they're planning to go through their whole catalog. The Great Misdirect got one last year.

Remastered Alaska would be fun.

On 8/4/2020 at 7:11 PM, aubearcat said:

Rod Stewart back in the ‘80s with my mom, aunt, brother, and cousins. The first I can remember was Ratt, Great White, and Kix at the Oak Mountain Amphitheater. Shortly after that one was Motley Crue and Warrant at BJCC. All of this by my 14th birthday. 

I swear to God dude, you and I are right there.

I saw both of those tours when I was in my middle teen years. I’ve never been so green from smoking Marlboro reds. All in the Jackson, MS  Fairgrounds Coliseum. And I lost a ton of my youthfulness at that Crüe concert. Like, all of it.

My first “official” concert (Sha-Na-Na not withstanding) was David Lee Roth’s “Just Like Paradise” tour. Getting to see Steve Vye Rock the three necked heart guitar was like a dream. Also, the opening act was none other than the ozone-depleting Poison with their first album scorching the airwaves of rock radio everywhere.

B66CAFD6-AFC3-4C6E-A0FB-2B74D2947F17.jpeg

14 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Listening now. Dang. Tight AF.

Swim to the Moon from the Great Misdirect is arguably their best song to date. Showcases nearly everything they have to offer.

They're so good. Seriously the breakdown at about the 10 minute mark is some of the best progressive rock you'll ever hear, and I'm a Rush/Dream Theater fan. 

My first memorable performance (not a concert, it was a sock-hop, showing my age) was Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis in Huntsville at the old Armory building.

My first big indoor concerty was Santana at Auburn. A LOT ofAuburn folks did not like it because  like (Abraxis ns so in), not enough singing.

My first big REAL concert was the Atlanta International Rock Pop Festival, July 3–5, 1970.  Just a few weeks before Woodstock, but still an amazing weekend witrhout the rain (hahahaha).  A great concert/festival with many of the same groups that appeared at Woodstock, but in which  Janis Joplin got seriously upstages! haha

On 8/9/2020 at 8:13 AM, WarTim said:

Many many concerts in my past. My favorite....Wings 1976.  Actually saw a Beatle. 😎❤️

Wings Over America tour? That's one of my favorite albums ever. Didn't see them but would have loved to. 

Mine was Elton John in '76 in Tuscaloosa. The Louder Than Concorde tour and my sister and her boyfriend let me tag along. My first taste of the college scene (I already knew I didn't like T-town) and my first taste of bourbon and coke. Great concert, I still have the tour booklet that I got a few years later. There was a couple of years when this guy could do no wrong and he could have sung the phone book and made it work.

Archived