Updated Roster 8/4/2020 (Merged Threads)

WarEagle2423

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/updated-roster-weights-numbers-and-position-changes

Some things that caught my attention: 

Frazier adding 33 pounds!!! Hope it’s good weight  

No Oscar Chapman (Aussie punter)

Our Freshman WRs are huge! 

Our OL could be huge too! 

Hill at DB  Newton at WR.

Official number changes. Love Pappoe with 0 and Schwartz with 1. Also like Zakoby at 9. Zykevious Walker has been compared to Marlon Davidson, and now has his old number (3). 

1 hour ago, WarEagle2423 said:

No Oscar Chapman (Aussie punter)

It’s been reported within the past week he’s had visa issues due to corona and is not expected to be at Auburn till August 16. Still Aiden Marshall being back on the team is probably the biggest news.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@WarEagle2423 Added a nugget to my post I’m not sure if you caught when you looked at the roster.

Yeah I saw that! And I saw we had that Gardner-Webb transfer punter too! At least we have some options now. 

So Auburn decided Hill was really a DB 2 years after Clemson recruited him as such.

1 hour ago, CR said:

So Auburn decided Hill was really a DB 2 years after Clemson recruited him as such.

The reason he chose AU over Clemson was because we promised him a shot on offense and Clemson did not. Now he's had his opportunity and it's all good.

Observations, changes on Auburn's updated 2020 roster

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

5-6 minutes

One of the surest signs that fall camp is around the corner arrived Tuesday. Not only did the SEC announce an altered fall camp schedule, but Auburn published its updated official roster for the 2020 season.

The update included new arrivals, number changes, a couple of position changes, the return of a familiar face and one notable absence -- for now. Here are a few of AL.com’s observations after reviewing the 2020 roster:

Position changes:

-- Redshirt sophomore Matthew Hill, who played wide receiver during his first two seasons on the Plains, is officially listed as a defensive back. The 6-foot-1, 190-pounder had eight catches for 46 yards last season, but Gus Malzahn said this spring that the plan was to give Hill some opportunities on defense. Spring practices were wiped out by the pandemic, so Auburn never got to see Hill get reps at defensive back, but that is now his primary position heading into fall camp.

-- Howard transfer Caylin Newton, the younger brother of former Heisman- and national championship-winning Auburn quarterback Cam Newton, is officially listed at wide receiver. Newton played quarterback at Howard before transferring to Auburn. He’s also wearing No. 23 this season and is listed at 5-foot-11 and 201 pounds.

A familiar face returns:

-- As AL.com reported Tuesday afternoon, former punter Aidan Marshall has rejoined the team. He was the Tigers’ starting punter in 2017 and earned the starting job in fall camp before the 2018 season. After the season opener, he was supplanted by Arryn Siposs on the depth chart and subsequently left the team with the intent to transfer. Despite offers from Louisville, Tennessee and Iowa State, Marshall remained at Auburn last year to finish his degree. Coaches then approached him last week about returning to the team this season.

One player missing:

-- Noticeably absent from the updated roster: recent punter commit Oscar Chapman, the Pro Kick Australia product who committed to the Tigers in July. The reason for Chapman’s exclusion is simple -- he hasn’t yet arrived on campus despite originally expecting to move in Aug. 1.

-- Another punting note: After entering the offseason without many options at punter, Auburn has since added Chapman, Marshall and Garner-Webb transfer Crimmins Hankinson, who averaged 39.6 yards on 73 punts as a freshman last season.

Number changes:

-- Several returning players changed numbers this offseason, including sophomore linebacker Owen Pappoe, who switched from No. 10 to No. 0. Pappoe is the first Auburn player to don that number; the NCAA this offseason voted to approve allowing players to wear the No. 0. Junior wide receiver Anthony Schwartz switched from No. 5 to No. 1, junior linebacker Zakoby McClain changed from No. 35 to No. 9, while junior safety Jamien Sherwood switched from No. 9 to No. 20. Senior defensive back Devan Barrett went from No. 12 to No. 10, sophomore defensive lineman Jaren Handy switched from No. 96 to No. 55, and senior Buck T.D. Moultry changed from No. 55 to No. 99.

Newcomer numbers, measureables:

-- DE Zykeivous Walker (6-foot-4, 266 pounds), No. 3

-- RB Tank Bigsby (6-foot, 204), No. 4

-- DE Jay Hardy (6-4, 299), No. 4

-- WR Kobe Hudson (6-1, 196), No. 5

-- DB Chris Thompson Jr. (6-1, 202), No. 5

-- WR Ze’Vian Capers (6-4, 194), No. 9

-- DB Ladarius Tennison (5-10, 197), No. 13

-- QB Chayil Garnett (6-1, 216), No. 15

-- WR Elijah Canion (6-4, 213), No. 17

-- DB Eric Reed Jr. (6-0, 187), No. 24

-- LB Desmond Tisdol (6-0, 231), No. 30

-- LB Wesley Steiner (6-0, 227), No. 32

-- LB Cam Riley (6-4, 209), No. 35

-- Buck Romello Height (6-3, 215), No. 37

-- OL Tate Johnson (6-3, 309), No. 54

-- OL Avery Jernigan (6-3, 296), No. 57

-- OL Jeremiah Wright (6-5, 340), No. 76

-- WR J.J. Evans (6-3, 210), No. 81

-- TE Brandon Frazier (6-7, 270), No. 87

-- TE JJ Pegues (6-2, 300), No. 89

-- DE Daniel Foster-Allen (6-4, 250), No. 90

-- QB Grant Loy (6-5, 230), No. 14; grad transfer/redshirt senior

-- DB Marco Domio (6-1, 180), No. 22; JUCO transfer/junior

-- DT Dre Butler (6-5, 304), No. 49; JUCO transfer/sophomore

-- OL Brenden Coffey (6-5, 279), No. 55; JUCO transfer/junior

-- OL Brandon Council (6-4, 325), No. 71; grad transfer/redshirt junior

-- OL Killian Zierer (6-7, 294), No. 77; JUCO transfer/junior

-- DT Marquis Burks (6-3, 312), No. 92; JUCO transfer/junior

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

-- DE Zykeivous Walker (6-foot-4, 266 pounds), No. 3

-- DE Jay Hardy (6-4, 299), No. 4

-- WR Kobe Hudson (6-1, 196), No. 5

-- WR Ze’Vian Capers (6-4, 194), No. 9

-- WR Elijah Canion (6-4, 213), No. 17

-- LB Cam Riley (6-4, 209), No. 35

-- WR J.J. Evans (6-3, 210), No. 81

-- TE Brandon Frazier (6-7, 270), No. 87

-- QB Grant Loy (6-5, 230), No. 14; grad transfer/redshirt senior

-- DB Marco Domio (6-1, 180), No. 22; JUCO transfer/junior

-- DT Dre Butler (6-5, 304), No. 49; JUCO transfer/sophomore

-- OL Killian Zierer (6-7, 294), No. 77; JUCO transfer/junior

All of these jumped out at me a little in a positive way. That WR class jumps out at me a lot. Like... a lot. 

Love seeing the size of Hardy, Butler, and Z Walker. We may need all 3 and they all appear ready to go physically. Coffey is a head scratcher to me.  You could tell from his pic he needed to fill out more  and 279 pounds is very light for an SEC tackle, especially going into his junior year. 

• ellitor changed the title to Updated Roster 8/4/2020 (Merged Threads)
13 hours ago, CR said:

@CR Has the talent to do it plus we needed the depth there. We don't have a position back there like a long snapper that can be counted for OL depth.

12 hours ago, autan said:

Didn't Frazier sign at 6'-7 247? Last time I checked 270 would be 23 lbs gain.  

Don't recall, but I had him pegged at playing around 260-265. 270 might be a little heavy but dude ran like a gazelle in high school and 23 lbs of good weight on that frame would be, well, good weight. (Not that you're suggesting otherwise or that I'm reading anything at all into your question or comment.)

Between him and Pegues, I'd be shocked if anyone in the conference had a bigger pair of TEs. (I know there are ambiguities about these guys, that position and the H position.)

Oh, also, I now realize you were responding to the 33 lbs comment in the OP, but I'll leave my above thoughts because, well, those are my thoughts on Frazier's metrics, lol.

Weight Changes:

Big Kat Bryant 247-250 (+3)

DJ Williams 216-208 (-8)

Ja'Varrius Johnson 163-160 (-3)

Christian Tutt 190-192 (+2)

Coynis Miller Jr. 312-315 (+3)

Jamien Sherwood 204-220 (+16)

Bo Nix 207-213 (+6)

Owen Pappoe 219-222 (+3)

Shedrick Jackson 198-201 (+3)

Zion Puckett 208-205 (-3)

Devan Barrett 195-200 (+5)

Eli Stove 185-191 (+6)

Trey Lindsey 178-200 (+22)

Traivon Leonard 198-214 (+16)

Jordyn Peters 195-200 (+5)

Jacoby Puckett 176-183 (+7)

Nehemiah Pritchett 162-177 (+15)

Seth Williams 224-211 (-13)

Smoke Monday 186-196 (+10)

I'll add more later

35 minutes ago, Zeek said:

DJ Williams 216-208 (-8)

Could be a major plus for him.

I'm curious, though, how much this weird year so far has affected their diets and conditioning. 

Sherwood 6’2 220 safety, gonna be a beast.

Kam Brown reconstructing his body, putting in work. Dropped 18

Seth Williams slimming down and adding speed hopefully.

MAR filling out that frame more 6’1 and 208, nothing but huge hype coming out about him and Tank(6’ 204)  these two are my next Cadillac & Brown combo to conquer the Plains.  If CM sticks around 3 years, please, please, please.

Elijah Cannon 6’4 213 as a freshman WR added 12.  Beast size already.

Colby Wooden adding 25 pounds now 6’4 268. 

Newkirk and Truesdale have appeared to be preparing to be a couple of anchors clogging up the middle.

Fromm adding 19 pounds gives us 3 nice height weight ratios for our TE’s.  Gotta be the best this group has ever looked under Gus as head coach on paper.

13 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Kam Brown reconstructing his body, putting in work. Dropped 18

I'm on record as saying this guy is going to surprise people. For him to have that kind of weight loss during this pandemic is really impressive to me. 

MAR filling out that frame more 6’1 and 208, nothing but huge hype coming out about him

Very, very exciting to hear. 

Elijah Cannon 6’4 213 as a freshman WR added 12.  Beast size already.

This one jumped out at me the most. 

Canion is probably the least talked about incoming receiver we have but I’ve seen a few people say to look out for him because he could be a beast this year if given the opportunity 

8 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Canion is probably the least talked about incoming receiver we have but I’ve seen a few people say to look out for him because he could be a beast this year if given the opportunity 

Probably not quite the same kind of athlete as Sammie Coates and hopefully his hands are a little better but I'm starting to think about him in those terms. 

This is based on very little information and a lot of overactive imagination on my part.

When I saw some of the really big weight gains I wondered if it was because of planned nutrition and strength and conditioning program or if  because of Covid-19 and players not being in school for a long time if they just pigged out and sat on the sofa and now that the coaches have them they are going to have to lose some weight. 

I am hoping it is due to nutrition and strength and conditioning but Covid-19 has made this a unique year so I just don't know.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Probably not quite the same kind of athlete as Sammie Coates and hopefully his hands are a little better but I'm starting to think about him in those terms. 

This is based on very little information and a lot of overactive imagination on my part.

It don’t take much for your hands to be better than Sammies. I’m positive Canions hands are better. I see Canion as another Seth tbh rather than Sammie.

Archived