Auburn Flashback - 2014 Ole Miss Game

StatTiger

The Ole Miss game has rarely been considered one of Auburn’s primary rivalries, but the 2014 game that took place on November 1, 2014, pitted the No. 3 Tigers on the road against the No. 4 Rebels. Ole Miss had already taken out No. 3 Alabama and No. 14 Texas A&M earlier in the season and were coming off their only loss on the season against LSU. Auburn went into the game with a 6-1 record and their only loss coming to No. 3 Mississippi State.

The SEC-West was the most competitive division in college football that year, with four teams finishing in the final Associated Press Poll. At the time of the kick-off, the Auburn-Ole Miss game was an elimination game for the college football playoffs. The winner would remain alive to win the SEC-West and compete for one of the four playoff slots. The loser would have two losses in the SEC-West and would be basically out of the race for a championship.

Auburn scored on their first possession of the game, but the Rebels would rally for a 24-14 lead. The Tigers had a balanced attack that night in Vaught-Hemingway stadium and eventually took a 35-31 lead late in the game. The Rebels made a late drive and appeared to have scored the go-ahead touchdown to go up 37-31. The touchdown pass was reviewed, and it was determined Laquon Treadwell fumbled before breaking the goal line.

Auburn held on to capture the win to boast a 7-1 record three-fourths into the regular season. It would be the Tigers' last major victory of the season as the Tigers went 1-4 the remainder of the season. Though the Auburn offense was top-25 material, the defense surrendered at least 31 points in seven of their last eight games.

https://youtu.be/fl66-Cp44Dc

Gus vs. Freeze was a great rivalry for a couple seasons.  The 2013 Game was the first game that season where I felt like Auburn might actually have a decent team.  2014 May have been the peak of that season.  2016 was a fun game as well.  Ole Misses wins against Alabama made these games mean more.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Freeze had somehow ended up on the plains if certain desires hadn’t been exposed.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Gus vs. Freeze was a great rivalry for a couple seasons.  The 2013 Game was the first game that season where I felt like Auburn might actually have a decent team.  2014 May have been the peak of that season.  2016 was a fun game as well.  Ole Misses wins against Alabama made these games mean more.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Freeze had somehow ended up on the plains if certain desires hadn’t been exposed.

He was going to be our OC a few years ago 

When me and my wife were dating in school we took a party bus to this game. We got back to Auburn around 4am. I have been to an Army/Navy game in Philly where it was 30 degrees and I can honestly say that night in Oxford was almost as cold. We actually found ourselves on TV two or three times  when we watched it later.

10 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Didn’t break the goal line, but Treadwell broke the heck out of his leg. Couldn’t help but feel for him.

nasty. 

As an Ole Miss grad, it was even more excruciating. And, it was one of the most "Ole Miss" things I've ever seen happen. Another reason why I hate watching Auburn and Ole Miss play. 

46 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

As an Ole Miss grad, it was even more excruciating. And, it was one of the most "Ole Miss" things I've ever seen happen. Another reason why I hate watching Auburn and Ole Miss play. 

And '03 was one of the most Auburn things ever. Man. You've seen some shtuff.

Archived