Why The BIG 10 Suddenly Changed Its Mind

aubiefifty

Here's Why The BIG 10 Suddenly Changed Its Mind About Canceling Football

© Matthew O'Haren-USA TODAY Sports
On Monday, ESPN’s Heather Dinich reported that a heart condition called myocarditis was found in at least five BIG 10 athletes, along with a handful of athletes from other conferences. Myocarditis is an inflammation of the heart muscle. It can affect a heart’s electrical system, reducing the heart’s ability to pump and cause rapid/abnormal heart rhythms...

I know the study isn't conclusive but the CDC put out info that having a BMI higher than 30 or above increases your risk for severe illness related to COVID. Excluding probably QBs WR, DBs and special teams that's more or less everyone on the field, and especially higher for linemen. 

6 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

I know the study isn't conclusive but the CDC put out info that having a BMI higher than 30 or above increases your risk for severe illness related to COVID. Excluding probably QBs WR, DBs and special teams that's more or less everyone on the field, and especially higher for linemen. 

i have no idea randman i just posted this so folks would have maybe a look inside of why changes might be made. i usually do not get to read many of my posts when i post them when there are several articles i think folks might be interested in. i have to take a friend running today and probably join in on the convo later. i hope you enjoy the time i spent cus i am a big dummy that has to copy and paste etc.........

3 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

As a nutrition professional, BMI becomes very tricky when dealing with athletes. Some OL and DL truly do fall into the unhealthy category, but when you start looking at grown men made of muscle, they'd be considered "obese" by BMI standards.

I am no Covid expert, so it may not matter the "shape" of the individual, but I'd be willing to bet that the general population with BMI greater than 30 do not look like and are not near as healthy as an SEC linebacker. 

I think the answer is more nuanced. They tried to "lead" everybody to the same answer of cancelling bc they are equally terrified of myocarditis-related lawsuits and CFB players organizing. Didn't get the reaction they expected from other conferences that are trying to delay the inevitable as much as possible. Too many folks talked about it in public. Now for the past 36 hours they have looked weak, disorganized, and like quitters to current players and recruits. I would expect that the outcome is a delay to 9/26 to get in line with everybody else, then cancel when the heat dies down a little bit from the #WeWantToPlay #WeWantToCoach movement. 

22 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

As a nutrition professional, BMI becomes very tricky when dealing with athletes. Some OL and DL truly do fall into the unhealthy category, but when you start looking at grown men made of muscle, they'd be considered "obese" by BMI standards.

I am no Covid expert, so it may not matter the "shape" of the individual, but I'd be willing to bet that the general population with BMI greater than 30 do not look like and are not near as healthy as an SEC linebacker. 

I've been curious if there are any cardiovascular concerns, as I'm under the impression that large individuals- "obese" or "all muscle"- put more stress on their hearts simply because organ size doesn't correlate to overall body mass. And any heart issues might make a person more susceptible to the virus. Really just honest curiosity on my part.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've been curious if there are any cardiovascular concerns, as I'm under the impression that large individuals- "obese" or "all muscle"- put more stress on their hearts simply because organ size doesn't correlate to overall body mass. And any heart issues might make a person more susceptible to the virus. Really just honest curiosity on my part.

Well a positive is that AU has actually been testing players for heart issues since the campus return. I’m not sure if all places have been doing  this.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah I'd be interested to know this as well. As strange as it sounds, we may not actually get that data without all of this testing of professional athletes given that many in peak physical shape might not have even known they had Covid-19 without the mandatory testings. 

And.....   Canceled again....

Big Ten Conference postpones 2020 fall football season

x

After early reports Monday indicated the league's decision to cancel the season, the Big Ten Conference said no vote had taken place on the 2020 college football season. After refuting the mass throng of dread, the final decision has now been made according to the league, whose university presidents and decision-makers have made the call to cancel the season in its entirety this fall. The Big Ten is hopeful to have a spring football season, according to national reports.

Big Ten presidents convened on Tuesday and ultimately decided it was unsafe to move forward with season due to COVID-19 and student-athlete safety concerns, according to Yahoo Sports' Pete Thamel and other national reports.

The Big Ten has released the following statements:

"Our primary responsibility is to make the best possible decisions in the interest of our students, faculty and staff,” said Morton Schapiro, Chair of the Big Ten Council of Presidents/Chancellors and Northwestern University President.

“The mental and physical health and welfare of our student-athletes has been at the center of every decision we have made regarding the ability to proceed forward,” said Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren. “As time progressed and after hours of discussion with our Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee, it became abundantly clear that there was too much uncertainty regarding potential medical risks to allow our student-athletes to compete this fall.

“We know how significant the student-athlete experience can be in shaping the future of the talented young women and men who compete in the Big Ten Conference. Although that knowledge made this a painstaking decision, it did not make it difficult.

"While I know our decision today will be disappointing in many ways for our thousands of student-athletes and their families, I am heartened and inspired by their resilience, their insightful and discerning thoughts, and their participation through our conversations to this point. Everyone associated with the Big Ten Conference and its member institutions is committed to getting everyone back to competition as soon as it is safe to do so.”

The Detroit Free Press was first to report of this season's demise in the Big Ten on Monday morning, writing that 12 of the league's 14 institutions voted in favor of player safety over trying to move forward. At the time, Nebraska and Iowa were the only two Big Ten schools to vote in favor, per the newspaper.

The decision comes after the Power Five conference commissioners reportedly held a meeting on Sunday due to growing concern about the possibility that college football cannot be played this fall. According to ESPN, the Big Ten presidents were prepared to "pull the plug" on the conference's fall sports season after holding a meeting on Saturday, but no official vote took place during the meeting as they "wanted to gauge" if administrators of other conferences at the Power Five level — the ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC — would do the same.

The Mid-American Conference on Saturday became college football's first in the FBS ranks to cancel its fall season.

ESPN college football analyst Paul Finebaum believes the SEC will act independently of others and make its own decision on playing games this fall.

"There is plenty of pushback," Finebaum said on ESPN's Get Up this week. "I talked to an SEC source yesterday, who said ‘we’re still planning on playing. We have our schedule release coming up in a couple of days.’ Remember, Friday night, the SEC released the two additional conference games.

10COMMENTS

"It just shows the incredible disconnect that we’ve talked about for three months that has now mushroomed … As someone else told me this morning, the college football season is not dead. It’s only on life support right now."

Archived