Spurrier offers his opinion

aubiefifty

Coach Spurrier called a few minutes ago. Said the SEC and ACC should just play their seasons and winners face off for national title because one conference was going to win it anyway.

unless i am missing something i agree with him.

50 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Who cares? Let them claim the spring championship.

I didnt say I cared but the comment was only SEC or ACC would win it. I think Ohio State would have a good shot if we are being real here. 

Sounds like a great year to try out a true playoff system.

1 seeds - Clem/OHst/bama/UGa

2 seeds - LSU/AU/FL/aTm

3 seeds - UNC/TN/UL/KY

4 seeds - miami/Miss St/UVA/Duke

Obviously gets more fun if Mich/Neb/Wisc/OK/TX jump ship. But in the true spirit of 2020 we are more likely to get constant reruns of the the 2012 Iron Bowl.

53 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

2 seeds - LSU/AU/FL/aTm

3 seeds - UNC/TN/UL/KY

Obviously gets more fun if Mich/Neb/Wisc/OK/TX jump ship. But in the true spirit of 2020 we are more likely to get constant reruns of the the 2012 Iron Bowl.

With all due respect, if you are an Alabama fan you would have to love a (16) team playoff as it would definitely favor the team with the most quality depth. IMO the teams that would benefit the most from this would be Alabama, Georgia, LSU, OSU, and Clemson. A team that might be able to put the best first unit on the field might not be able to do so after one or two critical injuries. I am thinking of Kerryon Johnson's injury late in the 2017 Alabama game and the subsequent collapse of our season. We weren't the same team without him healthy. I think we should be careful about what we wish for.

15 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

With all due respect, if you are an Alabama fan you would have to love a (16) team playoff as it would definitely favor the team with the most quality depth. IMO the teams that would benefit the most from this would be Alabama, Georgia, LSU, OSU, and Clemson. A team that might be able to put the best first unit on the field might not be able to do so after one or two critical injuries. I am thinking of Kerryon Johnson's injury late in the 2017 Alabama game and the subsequent collapse of our season. We weren't the same team without him healthy. I think we should be careful about what we wish for.

I've said this even for the current 4 team playoff but it's going to be even truer for 8 and 16 team playoffs. If you start to get a team like Alabama, USC in the 00s, Clemson currently, Oklahoma for most of their existence, etc. who can nearly perennially find a way into the top 10 they will make the playoffs yearly, which will only increase their recruiting and their depth will consistently carry them into the final games. You will quite literally get the same 5 or so teams in it every year even moreso than it is now. 

1 hour ago, AUcivE09 said:

2 seeds - LSU/AU/FL/aTm

3 seeds - UNC/TN/UL/KY

8 Teams is the ideal number. Power 5 winners top non power5 and 2 wildcards.

1 hour ago, CodeRocket said:

I would take it in about any situation. Your national champion rarely, if ever, has depth issues. Our issue in 2017 was the lack of development of other backs and hanging our season on 1 guy.

1 hour ago, wde1968 said:

8 Teams is the ideal number. Power 5 winners top non power5 and 2 wildcards.

I like the 8 team model - but for one offbeat season.....why not? Im just operating under the assumption that only the SEC and ACC would be playing (and maybe OSU).

You could build tons of hype and tv money would pour in (this gets the powers on board). You would have games that truly matter every week and it becomes something of an SEC v ACC challenge.

• WarTiger changed the title to Spurrier offers his opinion
11 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Ohio State???

They won't be playing. For this season, if it goes as things stand now, we could have the three conference champs plus the best runnerup and have a good four-team playoff.

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

They won't be playing. For this season, if it goes as things stand now, we could have the three conference champs plus the best runnerup and have a good four-team playoff.

Yes I understand that. The original post for this topic said "Coach Spurrier called a few minutes ago. Said the SEC and ACC should just play their seasons and winners face off for national title because one conference was going to win it anyway."

My post offered the possibility another team outside those 2 was a contender. I dont 100% agree with Spurrier. 

On 8/12/2020 at 4:46 PM, AUcivE09 said:

I would take it in about any situation. Your national champion rarely, if ever, has depth issues. Our issue in 2017 was the lack of development of other backs and hanging our season on 1 guy.

I believe that our issue in 2017 was that we played #1 team in the country in 3 out of 4 straight weeks. Sure Kerryon Johnson was beat up, but so was everyone else.

16 hours ago, Grumps said:

I believe that our issue in 2017 was that we played #1 team in the country in 3 out of 4 straight weeks. Sure Kerryon Johnson was beat up, but so was everyone else.

I cant even argue that. I just wish when it was obvious that KJ was hurt that we had someone else to handle the load. 

Archived