Incoming Freshmen Profiles

akillshot

Newcomer Q&A: Justin Powell

AUBURN, Ala. – It's time to meet the Class of 2020. Over the next three weeks, we'll be bringing you Q&As with all five newcomers. First up is Justin Powell, a sharp-shooting guard from Kentucky.

Favorite movie? The Blind Side 
Favorite food? Anything seafood
Favorite musical artist? Lil' Baby
What video game are you playing right now? FIFA
What was the go-to Netflix show during quarantine? Shooter
What do you plan to major in? Marketing

Do you have any nicknames? 

Powell: I've got a couple. The one everybody calls me is JP. Silent Assassin is the one that Sharife just gave me. That's the one a lot of the guys have been rocking with.

Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions? 

Powell: It's kind of weird but my socks – I've got to have them perfect. They have to be perfect always. So if somebody in the game hits one down or it just happens on a play, you always see me fixing my socks. It's got to be perfect. I don't know why. 

What's something people don't know about you? 

Powell: I'm really left-handed. I'm ambidextrous, but I'm really left-handed. My parents didn't know when I was younger, so they taught me everything righty like my brother, but I was left-handed. So I can do both and I do a lot of things left-handed naturally, but with basketball, I do a lot of things righty because that's what they taught me. I shoot right. But I can shoot left and it's just as fluid – it's just not as powerful. 

What sport would you play if you weren't playing basketball? 

Powell: Baseball for sure. I played competitive when I was younger and then in eighth grade, I had to make the decision, so I just decided I wanted to focus on basketball. I was a decent little baseball player. 

Justin Powell, MBB practice

When did you start playing basketball? 

Powell: When I was four. My first game ever – the court was obviously smaller, and the goals were little six-foot goals – but we had our first league game, and I hit a half-court shot to win the game. I kind of knew after that it was my sport. 

What is the biggest basketball highlight of your career?  

Powell: I hit a game-winner my sophomore year. It was for a big championship around here, and that was probably the biggest one. There were two seconds left, and I hit a 3. So that was pretty big. 

How about the first time you dunked? 

Powell: I actually dunked on somebody for my first dunk. It was my eighth-grade year, I was playing up on freshman. I never tried it before, and it was randomly just in game. I went up and dunked on the dude. I sat there for a second like "Wow, that just happened." I ran back on defense. That was my first dunk ever. 

Is there a player you model your game after? 

Powell: Tyler Herro and Kevin Huerter are kind of the main two but mostly Tyler Herro. 

What made you choose Auburn? 

Powell: First thing first, it was BP. Just a great coach, awesome coach. I wanted to play for him. And then just the family atmosphere. I took my official visit, and after that visit, I went home, thought about it for a couple days and I just instantly knew this is the place I want to be. It was comfortable. I'm a decent way from home, so I wanted to be comfortable again. Going to Auburn, I'm obviously comfortable being down there, and I just wanted to be in a family atmosphere. 

What stood out from your visits to Auburn? 

Powell: Just the people. That "War Eagle" goes a long way. You hear that, and everybody is a family. Even just walking around, when I was walking around after the Iron Bowl down on Toomer's, everybody was just welcoming. It was a comfort thing. It was just awesome. 

Have you heard "War Eagle" outside of Auburn yet? 

Powell: I actually have. I was at a high school game, one of my games this past year. It was the King of the Bluegrass, so it's a big one, it's like a national tournament. It was a packed gym, semifinals, and we were playing the No. 1 team in the state. We were coming down from the bleachers ready to go into the locker room, and I see a guy stand up, he's got a big orange Auburn shirt on, and he yells "War Eagle" in the middle of the game. They're playing, and everybody looks up toward him. I look up at him, I yell it back. Everybody was laughing. It's like, "You don't understand. That's just what we do."

Give me one word to describe Bruce Pearl

Powell: Energetic. 

How do you see yourself fitting into the team this year?

Powell: Just playing a part, whatever they need me to play. Play a little 2, 3, 1 – back up some people. Just come in, bring some shooting to the table, my play-making ability and being that facilitator, just the all-around game. Whatever they need, I'll do. 

What's it been like watching Auburn basketball the last couple years? 

Powell: It's been awesome. You see them develop under BP. You see all these guys like me, 3- and 4-star recruits that come in – we're the underdogs. People don't really take us seriously. And then you see somebody like Jared (Harper) or Bryce (Brown) take those roles and exceed with those. They do stuff like go to the Final Four and all that. It's just cool watching all that, especially when I was considering Auburn really highly. You see them in the tournament and you've got people coming up to you at school, "You're thinking about going there?" I was like, "Yeah, it's a good school." It was really cool watching them and seeing them thrive. 

Newcomer Q&A: Chris Moore

AUBURN, Ala. – It's time to meet the Class of 2020. Over the next three weeks, we'll be bringing you Q&As with all five newcomers. Next up is Chris Moore, a versatile forward from Arkansas. 

Favorite movie? More than a Game (Lebron James documentary) 
Favorite food? Crab legs and steak
Favorite musical artist? NoCap
What video game are you playing right now? NBA 2K
What was the go-to Netflix show during quarantine? The Flash
Nicknames? C-Mo, Supaman
Who would you pick to play you in a movie? The Rock
What do you plan to major in? Kinesiology

Moore: I've got a little prayer that I do. It's a little salute to God right before tip-off. 

Do you have any hidden talents? 

Moore: I can dance. I took a dance class when I was younger. I used to be skinny, but now I got big so it doesn't look the same anymore. 

Moore: It was second grade. I really wasn't into it that much. I was always a football player. I used to want to be the next Chris Johnson. I always looked up to him when he played for the Titans. But it's actually a crazy story. My first organized basketball was the Boys and Girls Club in West Memphis. We lost every single game, and I wanted to quit. The games we lost, it was by 1 or 3 points. I think the most we lost by that season was 9, but we lost every game. I just wanted to quit, but my brother pushed me to keep going and be a multi-sport athlete. 

Did you play football through high school? 

Moore: I stopped eighth grade year for two reasons. One, I tore my meniscus in my left knee. It was our last game. I caught a touchdown and landed on my knee first and kind of went back, and I guess I tore my meniscus. I also stopped playing because I was the first ninth grader at my school to play varsity basketball. 

Moore: Winning the Peach Jam championship, 16U. We made it 15U and we lost badly in the morning game. We just had a bad game. Coming back 16U, winning the whole thing was great. 

Who's your favorite NBA player? 

Moore: Lebron. He's actually one of the reasons why I love basketball. The first game I saw him play was against the Denver Nuggets when Carmelo (Anthony) was playing there. He picked them apart. I think he dunked on Marcus Camby and that's when I asked somebody, "Will I ever be able to dunk like that?" My brother told me, "If you put in the work and you trust the process, we can get you like that." That's when I started playing basketball. 

Has anybody thrown around the Charles Barkley comparison? 

Moore: A lot. I get compared to Charles a lot. I really can't wait to meet him. Picking his brain about how college was, how somebody like me being a hybrid can be the way he was. 

Chris Moore, MBB practice

Moore: Coach Pearl had a message that stuck with me. He told me, "When you leave here, you have to think of Auburn being a place you want to come back to. If it's not a place you want to come back to, it's not the place for you." That message kind of stuck with me the whole time because I had been to Memphis, I had been to Arkansas, I had been to a lot of colleges, but Auburn kind of seemed like a home away from home. The family atmosphere, them showing the love and support that they did – it just got me riled up to come here. And now I'm so glad I made that decision because it does feel like a home away from home. 

Moore: Really what stood out to me was how polished everything looked compared to other campuses and just the team identity. The identity Coach Pearl instills in his team is something I live life with. 

Give me one word to describe Coach Pearl. 

Moore: Energetic. 

How do you think Coach Pearl and his system can help your game? 

Moore: He's all about mismatches. What I've been told is that I can be a mismatch problem if I put in the right work and keep a good sense about my body. But he loves to find mismatches. He loves to play fast. He chooses guys that are going to give 110 percent for 30-40 minutes. 

Moore: I think I can make a huge impact as a freshman. I think I can be the player to shock a lot of people. To me, I think I've always been underrated because of where I'm from and the kind of person I am. So I think I can shock a lot of people this upcoming season. But also being that player who is comfortable doing the things other players don't want to do. Being a coachable person. Just being a team player. 

What stands out about this incoming 2020 class? 

Moore: What really stands out to me is how focused we are, how we've already started a brotherhood. We love being in the gym together. We have a group chat now where we talk about a lot of stuff. It's kind of like we've known each other for a long time because we're so close now. We talk a lot, we joke around. But what really stands out to me is how focused we are about the upcoming season and how much we want to make an impact. 

What's it been like watching Auburn basketball the past couple years? 

Moore: It's been very exciting. When I committed, I was like "I really could be a part of one of the best schools in the SEC, one of the up-and-coming programs in college basketball." 

Newcomer Q&A: Sharife Cooper

AUBURN, Ala. – It's time to meet the Class of 2020. Over the next three weeks, we'll be bringing you Q&As with all five newcomers. Next up is Sharife Cooper, Auburn's first ever McDonald's All-American. 

Favorite movie? Daddy's Little Girls
Favorite food? Crab legs
Favorite musical artist? Lil Baby or Lil Durk
What video game are you playing right now? Modern Warfare and NBA 2K 
What was the go-to Netflix show during quarantine? Outer Banks, How to Get Away with Murder
Nicknames? Rife, Big Game
Who would you pick to play you in a movie? Michael B. Jordan
What do you plan to major in? Interdisciplinary Studies

Cooper: I have to take a nap before the game, and I got to get shots up the day before. 

Cooper: Ever since I can remember I was playing basketball. I remember this place we played near my grandmother's house. I just remember we were super small, and everybody was way bigger than us. 

Cooper: When we went undefeated and won the state championship. It was just fun. There were a lot of memories off the court, on the court. Everybody was on the same page – no issues, no problems. It was just super fun. I'll always remember that year. 

Where does that winning mentality come from for you? 

Cooper: I've always been taught nothing matters but winning. Ever since I was young. Points didn't matter – you could score 30 points and lose, and nothing mattered. I've always been taught to win, and everything else comes second.

What did it mean to be selected as a McDonald's All-American? 

Cooper: That was a lifetime dream. Just to be even thought about for such a prestigious game – I looked at that game and watched it since I was a kid. We were a week or two away so it definitely hurt not being able to play, but it was still a great honor just to be selected. 

Sharife Cooper, MBB practice

Cooper: I wouldn't say model after, but I like to watch guys and take a little bit from them. I like Chris Paul, Kyrie Irving, Damian Lillard. Those are three I really like to watch and take bits and pieces from their game. 

Cooper: It was a couple things. Starting off with the coaches believing in me at such a young age. They had a vision, they had a plan, and it was even before I saw the plan. BP told me everything was going to happen. He told me when I was younger, in ninth grade, and I didn't have a lot of offers that a lot of people were going to offer me. These teams were going to offer me. We were going to win. He literally told me what was going to happen in my future, and it really happened. I was just shocked to see how that played out. And then just coming on campus and seeing how open and welcoming they are. I felt like I was on a team and I've been a part of Auburn my whole life when I wasn't even committed yet. 

Cooper: When they speak on family and say the Auburn Family, you really feel that. They're not just saying it. It's really an Auburn Family. I can't remember how many times I've heard "War Eagle" when I've been super far from Auburn. The Auburn Family definitely travels. I love it here.  

Cooper: Passionate. 

How do you think Coach Pearl and his system can help your game? 

Cooper: Coach Pearl is upbeat. He's up-tempo. He likes you to play free, be yourself, and that's the exact way I play. I like to react off instinct, and that's what he encourages me to do. I feel like we go hand-in-hand with the way we play. 

What can this 2020 class do at Auburn? 

Cooper: I feel like a lot of these guys are very underrated. I've seen a lot of the top guys. I've played with every top player in the class. And these guys here are definitely at the top of the class. Just being able to play with them and see how they are on the court, off the court, I really have a lot of respect for this freshmen class. I feel like we're going to turn a lot of heads. 

Newcomer Q&A: Dylan Cardwell

AUBURN, Ala. – It's time to meet the Class of 2020. Over the next three weeks, we'll be bringing you Q&As with all five newcomers. Next up is Dylan Cardwell, a versatile big man from Georgia.  

Favorite movie? Jumanji 
Favorite food? Chicken Alfredo or Chicken Fried Rice
What artist are you listening to right now? Drake, Brent Faiyaz
What video game are you playing right now? GTA, NBA 2K
Nicknames? The Anomaly, Do-it-all Dyl
Who would you pick to play you in a movie? The Rock
What do you plan to major in? Business Finance

What was the go-to Netflix show during quarantine? I have a top five. 
1. Umbrella Academy
2. Money Heist
3. Outer Banks
4. The 100
5. You

Do you have any hidden talents? 

Cardwell: I can play the piano. I can sing. I can dance. I just like music. When I was at Oak Hill, we had a piano in our chapel. So I would just get bored when the chapel was empty, and I would go in there and play the piano. I can play hip-hop songs. 

What's something people don't know about you? 

Cardwell: I was born with 12 fingers and 12 toes. 

Your uncle is Rodney Garner. What was his reaction when you picked Auburn? 

Cardwell: When he found out he was kind of excited, but he was like "OK, now it's time to get to work. The recruiting is over. You're now an Auburn man. So now it's time to put forth effort." There was no celebration. It was, "Congrats. Now let's get to work." He just flipped the switch. My aunt, we always joke around. When he's recruiting, he's a pretty entertaining guy. When he's not recruiting, he's a coach. Him as a coach is a strict guy that wants to get the job done. As soon as I committed, he wants to get the job done. 

What's your first memory of coming to Auburn? 

Cardwell: The Kick Six. I was in the Tiger's Den. I remember they kicked the field goal, the ball was in the air, and I was in the Tiger's Den. I was watching it on TV. And then the player caught it, and when he was running, I was like "Oh, he could return this." He got to the 20-yard line, and that's when I ran out of the Tiger's Den and down to the field. By the time I got to the field, he had just crossed the other 20. So I missed like half the run, but I knew he was going to return it for some reason. As soon as he got in the end zone, I just ran on the field. My aunt said she saw me in an interview – I was jumping behind Coach Gus. I was just running around crazy like I was an Auburn student. This past year, I did the same thing. It was fun. 

Cardwell: When I was 3, I played in a church league called Upward. But I played soccer first. I'm a soccer player at heart. That was my first sport. 

What sport would you play if not basketball? 

Cardwell: Football. I'd be lining up, me and Bo Nix. 

Dylan Cardwell, MBB practice

Cardwell: We were in Charlotte for the All-Star weekend at Oak Hill. They pick four teams from across the country to play. There were 10 or 12 NBA players there. Karl-Anthony Towns and Devin Booker were on the sideline. I wasn't really doing much the whole game, but then in the third quarter, it kind of just turned on for me. There was a whole sequence. They came down and tried to make a lay-up, and I blocked it off the backboard. We ran down, I got a lob dunk. After I dunked it, I blocked it again. We came down again, my teammate missed a lay-up, and I put it back. So I had two dunks in a row and two blocks. It was a crazy atmosphere and just like back-to-back-to-back. That was my favorite memory. I have a picture of it in my room.

Do you remember the first time you dunked? 

Cardwell: I was really slow to dunk. It took me until the ninth grade. My first in-game dunk was ninth grade, and after I dunked it, I immediately ran into the stands. I high-fived my AAU coach, and I went to hug my mom. But this is in the middle of a game. I dunked it, and I ran into the stands to celebrate because I had never really tried to dunk in a game before. It was crazy. 

Cardwell: I really love Carmelo and Anthony Davis. Those are my two favorite players to watch and to study. And then just energy-wise, Montrezl Harrell. Those three right there, a combination of all of them – skill and the motor. 

Cardwell: I just like the energy. When I went to the Georgia Southern game, I felt like the whole crowd was into it. I play really well when the crowd is into it whether it's a home crowd or an away crowd. I just love having the crowd there because it gives me another energy boost. So just seeing the Jungle at their peak, that made me want to play here even more. You go to other colleges, and you just can't compare. The Jungle is different. 

Cardwell: Impactful. He's very impactful. He's a great father figure to everybody on this team. He's a great head coach, a great listener. He can impact you in many ways – spiritually, physically, emotionally – he's just an impactful guy. 

How do you think Coach Pearl and his system can help your game? 

Cardwell: Playing faster. I'm pretty fast, but I don't play fast. So just playing fast and being the first one down the court, that can open up the court in so many ways and open up points for me, points for my teammates. And not only that, he encourages his bigs to shoot, which is crazy because most colleges want a traditional big man and a traditional style of play, back to the basket, but he wants both and that can translate to the NBA. So he's pushing you toward being a better person as well as a better basketball player. 

Cardwell: Just playing a role. Crashing the boards, hitting open shots, finding my teammates, protecting the rim, trying to get as many steals as I can in the passing lane, just being a good teammate. I want to be an all-around player. Whatever I can do to help the team is whatever works for me. 

What makes this 2020 class special? 

Cardwell: We're all hard-working. We all love staying in the gym. We're all highly motivated, and we just love competing. We can all bring something different to the game, but at the same time, I feel like we have the potential and talent to all play together at the same time. So we can all shoot, we can all spread the floor, we can all score in the paint. Everybody – Sharife, JT, Justin, Chris and I – we can all pass. We have crazy court vision. We all have high IQs. I feel like this is a great freshman class, a very humble freshman class and a very hard-working freshman class, so I'm just excited to see what we have to bring to the table. 

On 8/20/2020 at 8:46 PM, akillshot said:

So we can all shoot, we can all spread the floor, we can all score in the paint. Everybody – Sharife, JT, Justin, Chris and I – we can all pass. We have crazy court vision. We all have high IQs. I feel like this is a great freshman class, a very humble freshman class...

It's rather amusing to see a player talking about all the things he and his fellow freshmen do well, then in the next sentence say how humble they are.

On 8/22/2020 at 2:15 PM, Rednilla said:

It's rather amusing to see a player talking about all the things he and his fellow freshmen do well, then in the next sentence say how humble they are.

Not really if what he is saying is true you can do honest self evaluation of you and your teammates and still be humble. He also said just playing a role and whatever I can do to help the team.  The one thing I have seen from all the profiles is team orientation as opposed to me orientation that is a sign of humble.

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Not really if what he is saying is true you can do honest self evaluation of you and your teammates and still be humble. He also said just playing a role and whatever I can do to help the team.  The one thing I have seen from all the profiles is team orientation as opposed to me orientation that is a sign of humble.

Humble
adj.
: having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's own importance

I suppose it's not impossible to have a high estimate of each of your value while maintaining a low estimate of your importance, but it still seems contradictory. Regardless, I'm glad he thinks highly of their ability, because a little humility goes a long way, but a lot can be a detriment.

23 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Humble
adj.
: having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's own importance

I suppose it's not impossible to have a high estimate of each of your value while maintaining a low estimate of your importance, but it still seems contradictory. Regardless, I'm glad he thinks highly of their ability, because a little humility goes a long way, but a lot can be a detriment.

I don't see how that equates to them showing their importance. All it promotes is the skill set that they all have. Now, of they were saying we are the best at passing. Nobody can shoot better than the group we have. We are the smartest ballers around. That is speaking about how important you are. It is no different than me saying as a nurse I can place IVs, I can do ultrasound IV, I can use a Cortrak, I can care for CVVH patients. This is much different than me saying I am can place the most IVs or I have better critical care experience than anyone else.

This seems like a good group of kids. Cardwell seems like he's going to be a fan favorite in the future

Newcomer Q&A: JT Thor

AUBURN, Ala. – It's time to meet the Class of 2020. Over the next three weeks, we'll be bringing you Q&As with all five newcomers. We wrap up the series with JT Thor, a consensus top-100 player forward who signed in May. 

Favorite movie? Scarface
Favorite food? My mom's cooking (African food) 
What artist are you listening to right now? Polo G
What was the go-to Netflix show during quarantine? Money Heist
Nicknames? JT Bandz 
What do you plan to major in? Business Marketing

With the last name Thor, are you a big Marvel guy? 

Thor: I'm a big fan of Marvel. Thor is my guy. I always liked him because it was my name. So I liked him from the jump. And we can both drop the hammer. That thunderous dunk. 

You grew up in Alaska. What was that like? 

Thor: It was cool. I liked it. It was like a normal city to me other than the winters. The winters were cold. But the summer, the fall, the spring – I liked it. I liked the weather a lot. People think it snows there the whole year. The summers are actually hot. It's sunny all day. But those winters, I'm not a fan of that. 

Thor: I wasn't really into basketball until I was probably 10. I couldn't even make a lay-up. The first couple months I was playing basketball, I couldn't make a lay-up. I wasn't really good at anything. I just knew I liked basketball because I used to watch it. I used to watch KD (Kevin Durant). Growing up, KD was an inspiration to me. I used to watch him every day. I used to think it was like a video game. No one could ever make the NBA. It just looked unreal when I was watching them. But it feels closer every day now. 

Do you remember the first time you dunked it? 

Thor: I was a freshman in Alaska. I played JV my freshman year. I had a fast break, and I just two-handed it. Everybody was going crazy. And then the next possession – it was like back-to-back – they threw me a lob off the backboard, but I missed it. The first one was clean, though. That was my first time dunking. I had high self-esteem after that. 

Thor: This past senior year, we played in D.C. We had a bad first half. We were down by like 20, and I had one point at the half. We were getting kind of heated in the locker room, so I told my coach to pass me the ball the whole second half and I'm going to win the game. I was talking boldly, but I knew I had to back it up. I ended up scoring 30 in the second half, and we won the game. 

JT Thor, MBB practice

Thor: KD (Durant). When I used to hoop outside every day, I used to work on my jump shot. Every day. I never thought about posting up. I just wanted to break people down and shoot the ball because that's what everybody else did. That's what KD does.

Thor: The first time I came here when they played LSU. They were down by 20, and they came back and won the game. The whole time I was on the visit, it just opened my eyes. It wasn't even an official visit yet. But as soon as I came here, it was like "I think I want to be here." It made me want to come on another visit, so I came to the game vs. Texas A&M. They lost, but after that, I was ready to plan my official and commit. This is where I wanted to be. It's a good environment, a family-type environment that I want to be in. 

Thor: Energetic. 

How do you think Coach Pearl and his system can help your game? 

Thor: I feel like he's good at developing talent. I see the players he's had the past couple years with Chuma (Okeke), Isaac (Okoro), with Tobias (Harris) at Tennessee. I feel like those type of players are people I can model my game after where I can be successful in that program. 

Thor: I think I'm going to make a big impact in all types of ways – on the defensive end and the offensive end. BP preaches defense first. In practice, we're playing defense the whole time, and then we'll get into our plays. We have to know the plays, too. So it's just knowing what you're doing the whole time. 

What makes this 2020 recruiting class special? 

Thor: I feel like we've got one of the best classes in the country. I feel like we're all underdogs. Everybody is an underdog, and we're coming in with a chip on our shoulder. People are sleeping on us. 

Where's that underdog mentality come from for you? 

Thor: I always felt like I was the underdog because even though I feel like I'm tall, I'm not the strongest or the fastest, so I feel like I have to work on my skill more than everybody else to get what I want. I put in a lot of work to get to where I'm at. That's where the underdog part comes in..

Thor: I feel like we've got one of the best classes in the country. I feel like we're all underdogs. Everybody is an underdog, and we're coming in with a chip on our shoulder. People are sleeping on us. 

This seems to be a recurring theme in all of our recruits profiles. I love that. All fairly highly rated but all with a chip on their shoulder who want to prove others wrong. Talent plus a chip on your shoulder makes a great combination.

This was my favorite comment out of all the profiles:

What can this 2020 class do at Auburn? 

Cooper: I feel like a lot of these guys are very underrated. I've seen a lot of the top guys. I've played with every top player in the class. And these guys here are definitely at the top of the class. Just being able to play with them and see how they are on the court, off the court, I really have a lot of respect for this freshmen class. I feel like we're going to turn a lot of heads. 

I"m looking forward to seeing these guys play together along with our returning players, whenever that occurs.

Archived