Rockin' the Covid-19

Mikey

This is my household's experience with the virus. Maybe someone will find the information useful. It is not intended to be medical advice.

Household Members: Me, age 77 zero medical conditions....Wife, age 73. Lots of complications, from heart problems to, you name it.... Daughter, age 53, chronic pneumonia, seven illnesses and four hospitalizations in the last 20 years, all due to pneumonia. Granddaughter, age 20. A bit autistic, but no other problems. Foster baby, age 5 months. Here temporarily to get her out of an "at risk" situation. Had some injuries due to prior physical abuse, but no other known problems.

The doctor: Good friend, he hunts on my farm. He's an Auburn season ticket holder in football, basketball and baseball. At times when he isn't going to use his tickets for a particular game he'll call me and I can pick his tickets up at his receptionist's desk. So, he may have spent more time with us than might be normal. He said he hasn't lost a patient that wasn't in a nursing home. He had treated 80 nursing home patients and only lost two, so his record is good.

The situation: About five weeks ago, Daughter felt sick and thought it was a sinus infection. After a week, she lost senses of smell and taste, went and got tested for Covid-19 on August 2.  Results came back positive. She took the baby, got it tested and the baby was positive. So, the daughter and baby didn't "get ahead" of the virus, it was well established with them before any testing. The baby had two grumpy days but was also cutting a tooth, so who knows if "grumpy" was connected to the virus or not? Daughter, with the chronic pneumonia, kept getting worse, was eventually hospitalized. There she got an infusion of plasma-containing antibodies and the virus was quickly disposed of. The pneumonia took a few more days of treatment, but today (August 18) she came back home and is slowly recovering.

Wife, granddaughter and I got tested ASAP, which was August 7. Told the doctor our situation and he put us on a regimen for two weeks. There is no apparent reason why everybody in the household shouldn't test positive, that's what we expected. Results came back today and I'm positive, wife and granddaughter are negative. None of us has had the least symptom or even felt bad and we've now clearly been about as exposed as exposed can get for over five weeks. Everybody passed that baby around and she was spitting up, etc, all over every one of us. Not to mention eating, cooking and so forth together with absolutely no precautions taken. By now, if we haven't become sick, we aren't going to, at least from this exposure.

Conclusion: Our experience closely reflects what was learned from the cruise ship populations: Some, for no apparent reason, don't catch this bug. Others catch it and and wouldn't even know it if not for testing. Some catch it and get really, really sick. This leaves more questions than answers.

My good doctor's recommendations:

If you lose senses of taste and smell, you will lose your appetite. Force yourself to eat and drink anyway, you need your strength to fight. Take a good daily multivitamin. Be sure to equal or exceed the recommended daily requirements of D3 and C. Load up on Zinc, equal or exceed daily recommendations. Take a blood thinner, if not already on one. A low-dose (81 mg) aspirin is sufficient. Don't get hot! Stay out of the heat as much as possible. Finally, we all took an 11 day prescription of the antibiotic Azithromycin. He gave a number of reasons why he doesn't prescribe HCQ (Hydroxychloriquin sp?) for this illness.

Now that I've tested positive and have passed the time for getting sick, I'll check to see if they want me to donate my antibody-laden blood for use in treatment of those in real trouble.

I hope some find this interesting or helpful.

Archived