Have a little bit of an ask...

bigbird

For years y'all have supported me and my family with your prayers and we'll wishes and I am forever grateful. I am hoping we can do the same for another family as well.  James has a friend, Wyatt, that he has basically grown up with. They go to church together, have been in the same class since 3rd grade (now in 9th), and have been on the same swim team since meeting.  Anyways, they need our prayers and help. Here is the post from his aunt.

Have you noticed how stories of personal triumph often begin with tragedy? How adversity creates modern day hero's? Here is a story of a boy, a would-be hero. Let his battle inspire you to re-examine adversity in your life.

On Sunday, July 26, 2020, 14-year-old Wyatt Ellis went to sleep with a bad headache, only to awaken in the in the intensive care unit at Texas Children’s hospital, paralyzed from the jaw down.

Upon arrival, Wyatt was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis, a rare infection that causes swelling of the brain and spinal cord. The swelling tissue compressed his spinal cord against his skull, blocking blood flow, resulting in a severe spinal cord injury and paralysis initially from the jaw down. Wyatt’s current condition is called "Locked In Syndrome" (LIS) or pseudo coma. Wyatt is fully conscious with his mental capacity unaffected, but he cannot move or communicate verbally due to paralysis of nearly all voluntary muscles in his body, except for eye movements, blinking, and now smiling.

YES, SMILING :-)

Even though Wyatt is trapped inside his body, he remains positive and funny. He has been learning to communicate by blinking his eyes to indicate a letter and spelling words. It is a very tedious and frustrating process to say the least.

His first word, H-U-N-G-R-Y

His second word, C-H-I-C-K--F-I-L--A (his favorite fast-food restaurant :-)

Prior to Wyatt’s illness, he was a healthy and active teenager who loved to fish, explore the outdoors, and ride his mountain bike in state parks. He is well known for his constant smile, positive outlook, and resilient spirit. Wyatt has been eagerly awaiting playing high school football his freshman year. He deserves every opportunity to rebuild his life.

The Wyatt that we know and love is still very much with us. Doctors are treating him as a spinal stroke patient, but only time will tell if he might regain use of his body, including the ability to breath or swallow on his own. He will require continued medical support, extensive rehab, advanced eye-communication devices, and long-term care to build a new life.

Hospital visitation restrictions due to Covid-19 are adding additional hardships by preventing other family members from visiting and taking shifts at the hospital. Wyatt’s mother and father have been alternating shifts by his side continuously. They are the only family permitted access. Their hometown is nearly 80 miles away (one way) from the hospital and Wyatt has five other siblings at home.

We have started this recovery fund to help Wyatt’s family pay for on-going medical costs, lodging, fuel, food, parking, and to acquire better communication devices so Wyatt can communicate his basic needs. Please help us support Wyatt Ellis and his family and give him the best chance at life. His family has a very rough road ahead and we are continually praying for the best possible outcome. Wyatt’s family would like to express their deepest gratitude to everyone who has offered to help and for their continued prayers.

This is the link to his GoFundMe. If you can or feel moved, please help this family. If you can't help financially, then please share the story on Facebook or any other social media. Most importantly, please pray for Wyatt, strength for the family, and a smooth road to recovery.

https://gf.me/u/yr2y5n

Thank you.

44 minutes ago, bigbird said:

For years y'all have supported me and my family with your prayers and we'll wishes and I am forever grateful. I am hoping we can do the same for another family as well.  James has a friend, Wyatt, that he has basically grown up with. They go to church together, have been in the same class since 3rd grade (now in 9th), and have been on the same swim team since meeting.  Anyways, they need our prayers and help. Here is the post from his aunt.

Have you noticed how stories of personal triumph often begin with tragedy? How adversity creates modern day hero's? Here is a story of a boy, a would-be hero. Let his battle inspire you to re-examine adversity in your life.

On Sunday, July 26, 2020, 14-year-old Wyatt Ellis went to sleep with a bad headache, only to awaken in the in the intensive care unit at Texas Children’s hospital, paralyzed from the jaw down.

Upon arrival, Wyatt was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis, a rare infection that causes swelling of the brain and spinal cord. The swelling tissue compressed his spinal cord against his skull, blocking blood flow, resulting in a severe spinal cord injury and paralysis initially from the jaw down. Wyatt’s current condition is called "Locked In Syndrome" (LIS) or pseudo coma. Wyatt is fully conscious with his mental capacity unaffected, but he cannot move or communicate verbally due to paralysis of nearly all voluntary muscles in his body, except for eye movements, blinking, and now smiling.

YES, SMILING 🙂

Even though Wyatt is trapped inside his body, he remains positive and funny. He has been learning to communicate by blinking his eyes to indicate a letter and spelling words. It is a very tedious and frustrating process to say the least.

His second word, C-H-I-C-K--F-I-L--A (his favorite fast-food restaurant 🙂

Prior to Wyatt’s illness, he was a healthy and active teenager who loved to fish, explore the outdoors, and ride his mountain bike in state parks. He is well known for his constant smile, positive outlook, and resilient spirit. Wyatt has been eagerly awaiting playing high school football his freshman year. He deserves every opportunity to rebuild his life.

The Wyatt that we know and love is still very much with us. Doctors are treating him as a spinal stroke patient, but only time will tell if he might regain use of his body, including the ability to breath or swallow on his own. He will require continued medical support, extensive rehab, advanced eye-communication devices, and long-term care to build a new life.

Hospital visitation restrictions due to Covid-19 are adding additional hardships by preventing other family members from visiting and taking shifts at the hospital. Wyatt’s mother and father have been alternating shifts by his side continuously. They are the only family permitted access. Their hometown is nearly 80 miles away (one way) from the hospital and Wyatt has five other siblings at home.

We have started this recovery fund to help Wyatt’s family pay for on-going medical costs, lodging, fuel, food, parking, and to acquire better communication devices so Wyatt can communicate his basic needs. Please help us support Wyatt Ellis and his family and give him the best chance at life. His family has a very rough road ahead and we are continually praying for the best possible outcome. Wyatt’s family would like to express their deepest gratitude to everyone who has offered to help and for their continued prayers.

This is the link to his GoFundMe. If you can or feel moved, please help this family. If you can't help financially, then please share the story on Facebook or any other social media. Most importantly, please pray for Wyatt, strength for the family, and a smooth road to recovery.

Thank you.

Prayers rising for Wyatt and his family... so glad you posted! Continued prayers for you all, too. Started school yet?

Consider it done @bigbird. News of this nature is tough regardless but anytime it involves youth it seems even tougher to grasp. Prayers going up for Wyatt and his family as well as the doctors and nurses. I can't imagine the emotional toil the family isgoing through. Wyatt seems like a super brave young man. Thank you for letting us know. 

🙏

Will add Wyatt to the prayer list for sure. So many to pray for, but so privileged to do so. I made a small donation in honor of James. There was no place to indicate that, but I wanted James to know that I was thinking of his friend, so please tell him. I have a feeling, with Wyatt's spunk and great attitude, he will make a recovery. In Jesus's name, I pray.

My bride and I will be praying. God is STILL God. 

Sometimes, when I'm feeling upset, frustrated, depressed..... I am reminded that my problems are so minor compared to many others.

I pray that our good Lord has mercy on this young man, Wyatt, & his family.  The fact that he shows humor and patience in light of this sudden condition......I am totally embarrassed to ever complain about my "problems". 

God always has a way to humble us.  I am humbled.  May God bless Wyatt.  I pray for a miraculous healing!

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Sometimes, when I'm feeling upset, frustrated, depressed..... I am reminded that my problems are so minor compared to many others.

I pray that our good Lord has mercy on this young man, Wyatt, & his family.  The fact that he shows humor and patience in light of this sudden condition......I am totally embarrassed to ever complain about my "problems". 

God always has a way to humble us.  I am humbled.  May God bless Wyatt.  I pray for a miraculous healing!

I thought of you and your family earlier. Wyatt's family was very reluctant to a GoFundMe. It took a lot of convincing by many of us to let us help them.  

It's been very hard on James. He is so empathetic in the first place, but being one of his close friends has been extra difficult. 

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

YES, SMILING 🙂

His second word, C-H-I-C-K--F-I-L--A (his favorite fast-food restaurant 🙂

Thank you.

You got it brother.🙏🙏🙏

Bit of an update...

Wyatt’s making noise!!! It’s been very upsetting to us and him that he has no way of indicating he needs us. Imagine waking up and laying there and hoping someone sees you blinking your eyes in the middle of the night. As his mom sleeping is extremely hard when I’m there. I’m so scared I’ll miss his blinks. This is HUGE!!! They deflated the cuff around his trach a little and he’s able to push air up. That’s the best noise ever!!! This kid makes continual progress. It’s crazy how fast too. Prayers are working ❤️

31 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

How is James coping?

He was ecstatic hearing Wyatt. He misses him.

33 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I also read on his gofundme page that he is breathing over the vent! 

Absolutely! As they said, prayers are working!

Praying 🙏 right now brother!

As we sit at Dr office waiting for standard check up appointment, my lovely Bride and I are praying for Wyatt and you ALL. May God Bless. 

This is first time I have actually donated using goFundme.  I am impressed as we get updates on Wiley.  Me and my family are keeping him in our Prayers.

Archived