Wesley Steiner: Quarterback Hunter

Zeek

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2020/07/meet-the-tigers-wesley-steiner-ready-to-chase-down-the-secs-best-qbs.html

"Wesley Steiner couldn’t wait to get on the Auburn practice field and “lay the wood” on running back Tank Bigsby, much as his linebacker coach Travis Williams did to Bigsby’s running backs coach Cadillac Williams back in the day.

The excitement in football lies in the challenge and the chase for Steiner, so he relished the thought of going up against the No. 4 running back in the class of 2020 and, later, some of the best quarterbacks and rushers in the SEC.

“That’s probably my favorite part is when they say ‘Oh crap,’ when they have that moment of ‘He’s coming. I’ve got to do something,’” Steiner said. “I want something that will give me a challenge because then, once you get it, you’ll feel more satisfied because you went through the hunt.”

Steiner had his own “oh crap” moment when he first got on the Houston County varsity team as a freshman. He asked his coach if he was going to play in the game against Mary Persons because, from what he saw, the other guys on the field weren’t that much bigger than him. Then he saw them in real game time. He thanked his coach for not putting him in. He was not ready.

Instead of letting it get him down, Steiner took that experience and used it as motivation to hit the weight room and prepare himself for that caliber of ball. Steiner isn’t one to back down from a challenge, whether it be in the classroom or on the field. His theory is if you can get an A, why settle for Bs or Cs?

Steiner went from watching Malik Herring and Jake Fromm in awe at the Mary Persons vs. Houston County High School game to being 247 Sports’ No. 7 inside linebacker in the country and the No. 14 player in Georgia.

Steiner finished high school with stats that earned him an offer to LSU (he made 123 tackles and three sacks in two years) and grades that earned him an offer to Stanford. He also received offers from Ole Miss, Michigan State, Kentucky, Georgia Southern, Georgia Tech, Alabama and Auburn.

In the end, it came down to LSU, Stanford, Georgia Tech and Auburn. And then — after a lot of prayer — down to Stanford and Auburn. Steiner considered his options carefully, but there were two big things that helped him turn down Stanford. His first reason was that his family would be able to come to maybe one game. The thought behind the second reason was that Stanford is really good for lawyers, doctors and businessmen — but Steiner wants to be a teacher and a coach.

On top of that, Steiner felt like he just fit in with the character of Auburn. Steiner has a big personality that he felt those at Auburn would embrace rather than stifle. He felt at home with the coaches, the players and the other commits. And, best of all, according to his grandmother, it’s close enough that his family can attend games.

With the decision made, Steiner committed himself to becoming the best representative for Auburn that he can be.

“I’m going to be a damn good investment,” Steiner said. “I’m going to make it worth your time.” "

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

at the very least, I think he'll be able to fulfill that "Downhill" role after KJ is gone 

He's so sharp and so athletic. I think he won't impress as much because Owen Paoppoe has already shown us a lot as a freshman.

I'm really high on this LB group of freshmen.

I think Steiner is going to force himself into the rotation this year. I just don't think you will be able to keep him off the field. He's a talent.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

He's so sharp and so athletic. I think he won't impress as much because Owen Paoppoe has already shown us a lot as a freshman.

I'm really high on this LB group of freshmen.

You pointed out the most important thing, having the mental acumen is going to be necessary to break into Auburn's LB corp nowadays. Pappoe can do just about anything  and mimic almost any position. KJ has learned from THE man (DD) and has only grown in his time since Deshaun's departure. I really think Steiner is going to be the most athletic guy regardless, even with all we've heard about other rotation guys grinding, but Brothers has a year above him. Less likely, but Kameron Brown has the same adv. and Im sure has done some grinding too

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

This kid is special I mean very special I have never heard a kid at his age sound so mature

MIght be a lesson in there somewhere for you, old man.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

"If you love Auburn, Auburn will love you back ten-fold" and he already is quoting the Auburn creed. Such a true quote though. Being a part of the Auburn community has been one of the happiest parts of my life.

12 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

This kid is special I mean very special I have never heard a kid at his age sound so mature

i am special and you never say squat about me............

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Who the hell told you that?

bird by gawd...............

Yeah, there was some amazing parenting that went into that one.  

Amazing young man.  Proud to have him.  

16 hours ago, abw0004 said:

WOw. This kid is super articulate. He absorbs everything it seems, and then has insight and depth to his comments. He will be successful no matter what he does moving forward.

18 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I was big on him just because of how athletic he is. Like, possibly the most athletic player in his class overall. Then I saw him do some crazy lift like it was nothing and his teammates went absolutely insane and it was clear that he is a leader and extremely well liked. Then I saw the video about his childhood and anyway I completely agree with you. This guy has the heart of Deshaun Davis and the athletic ability of Saquon Barkley. Only thing that remains to be seen is if he has a big time football brain but I am already a huge fan. Easily my man crush for the 2020 class. 

Archived