First 2020-21 Scrimmage

Zeek

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I saw Joiner running the wheel route again SMH. 

That play has been good to us over the years. Why don't you like the play?

They said TE's had 5-7 receptions during the scrimmage. More than we had all last year!

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

That play has been good to us over the years. Why don't you like the play?

I think it's more that it seems to be the only thing Joiner does or gets to do.

25 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I think it's more that it seems to be the only thing Joiner does or gets to do.

What else do people want him to do? There’s a logjam at RB and WR, who’s snaps do y’all want him to take so he can get more touches?

Just now, Sizzle said:

What else do people want him to do? There’s a logjam at RB and WR, who’s snaps do y’all want him to take so he can get more touches?

Oh I agree and don't care lol. Just trying to guess someone else's point.

I will say sometimes we telegraph plays by having one individual only do one thing.

27 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I will say sometimes we telegraph plays by having one individual only do one thing.

Yeah this is something we have to get away from. I get everybody has there specialties but everybody needs to be cross trained to do everything

I just want to see some screens set up for Shivers. If it’s set up correctly that’s an easy 80 yard TD waiting to happen 

54 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Oh I agree and don't care lol. Just trying to guess someone else's point.

Yeah, I'd like to combat that by getting him in there as a decoy or blocker on some plays.  Instead, like Devon before, he comes in for one play and the stadium knows the ball is going to him.  

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

but everybody needs to be cross trained to do everything

This X1000!!!!!!!

Many of us having been screaming this for years!  Keep the same personnel on the field as much as possible!   Substitutions KILL tempo!   Too many “Specializations” make you way too predictable!   I really hope we see some improvements in this area this year!

image.gif

I guess we’ve scared off all the insiders except for biscuits.  I posted this in the other scrimmage thread but DJ is being held out for the moment.  I don’t know if it’s due to injury, illness, grades, or if he’s found his way into the dog house.  Jboy listed a couple guys that stood out on his Twitter.  Duke the scoop is supposed to have a pod out soon with some inside info on the scrimage.  He listed Steiner at linebacker and my 90s wrestling brain immediately thinks of the Steiner brothers.  

Ive also seen a couple people say Brandon Council is playing lights out which will help keep Bro at right tackle

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Convert more third downs which sustains more drives therefore creating more snaps for increased touches for Joiner. 

There, now no one loses any touches. 

:) 

2 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Yeah, I'd like to combat that by getting him in there as a decoy or blocker on some plays.  Instead, like Devon before, he comes in for one play and the stadium knows the ball is going to him.  

Yup. Joiner only had 4 carries (not counting receptions) all last year. The dude is 6'4" 231 lbs. and fast.

45 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Convert more third downs which sustains more drives therefore creating more snaps for increased touches for Joiner. 

There, now no one loses any touches. 

:) 

Even with more converted 3rd down. He’s got a lot of people in front of him on the depth chart. Unless he switched to H back full time, then yeah his touches could increase

5 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Run more than Just a wheel route? Actually be a hybrid TE. I have a feeling that will change with Chad here.

Just now, DAG said:

One more than Just a wheel route? Actually be a hybrid TE. I have a feeling that will change with Chad here.

He’s ran more than a wheel route. The play where Bo missed an important pass to Joiner against UGA wasn’t a wheel route but it’s more about the depth chart with him

2 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

He’s ran more than a wheel route. The play where Bo missed an important pass to Joiner against UGA wasn’t a wheel route but it’s more about the depth chart with him

Okay he ran one more route that year.  The point is, typically, TEs and WRs are recruited in Gus's scheme in a box. You either going to block, you either going to be mostly a speed sweep guy, a short sticks guy or the deep route man. That has to stop. There is no reason you cannot put your 5 best players on the field and run combo routes with each one. I think 90 percent of fans can see this is a problem. There is no reason why you can't move Seth Williams inside every once in a while and have flash be the Z wide receiver.  Or have Joiner be at X and Seth be at the Z, while Flash be the slot. This seems to be a very complex situation for Gus.

7 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

especially if the other RBs like MAR can be more versatile running AND catching too. 

In fact, I don't how anyone can say it is a depth chart situation confidently. Many of these players are asked to do one or two things and if they don't do those correctly, they don't play. I am hoping Chad can find multiple traits out of these players and put them in the best position to make a play. 

13 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I get the frustration as we need to get away from pigeonholing players. But that play seemed to work every time we ran it last year. And who is to say that’s all he’s doing. Maybe they’ve kept that in from last year since it worked so well, and are also getting him involved in other ways. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

In fact, I don't how anyone can say it is a depth chart situation confidently. Many of these players are asked to do one or two things and if they don't do those correctly, they don't play. I am hoping Chad can find multiple traits out of these players and put them in the best position to make a play. 

^^^^This. We have multitalented play makers and utilizing their abilities and skills is something that has gotten lost with CGM. 

13 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

FWIW, that wasn't a wheel, the route wasn't vertical enough. Looked more to me like a checkdown to the RB or a swing RB screen

QB (looks like Grad Transfer Grant Loy) clearly throwing the ball horizontally, with WR 23 (Caylin Newton) appearing to break down his route to block

Annotation 2020-08-23 125915.png

Joiner has to turn to catch the ball while running horizontally

Annotation 2020-08-23 125936.png

Example from Oregon of combining that concept with a "tunnel" screen on the backside:

Edit: WR 6 (Ja'varrius Johnson) was also already blocking as soon as Joiner caught the ball:

image.png

17 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

FWIW, that wasn't a wheel, the route wasn't vertical enough. Looked more to me like a checkdown to the RB or a swing RB screen

QB (looks like Grad Transfer Grant Loy) clearly throwing the ball horizontally, with WR 23 (Caylin Newton) appearing to break down his route to block

Annotation 2020-08-23 125915.png

Joiner has to turn to catch the ball while running horizontally

Annotation 2020-08-23 125936.png

Example from Oregon of combining that concept with a "tunnel" screen on the backside:

Edit: WR 6 (Ja'varrius Johnson) was also already blocking as soon as Joiner caught the ball:

image.png

Good call, that is a swing pass, that #23 in the first picture looks like he’s already blocking

Archived