The Water is Warming up on Will Wade

JBiGGiE

NCAA documents allege LSU coach Will Wade helped make or arrange for 'impermissible payments' to 11 people

LSU coach Will Wade is in the crosshairs of the NCAA again after a report from ESPN on Wednesday revealed that he was part of "impermissible payments" made to nearly a dozen potential recruits or people close to them, according to NCAA documents.

The documents allege Wade "arranged for, offered and/or provided impermissible payments, including cash payments, to at least 11 men's basketball prospective student-athletes, their family members, individuals associated with the prospects and/or nonscholastic coaches in exchange for the prospects' enrollment at LSU," according to the report.

It's unclear how many -- if any -- of the 11 potential recruits who are part of the NCAA investigation went on to sign with the Tigers.

Wade was suspended in March 2019 from his post as LSU's coach after reports from a wiretapped conversation revealed he discussed a "strong-ass" offer to a recruit, who was later identified as JaVonte Smart. (Smart will be a junior at LSU this fall.) He was reinstated just a month later after a meeting with NCAA officials in which Wade "denied any wrongdoing in connection with recently reported allegations of irregularities in college basketball recruiting," LSU said.

Wade nonetheless was reportedly caught in a wiretapped conversation discussing the very definition of recruiting irregularities, particularly in a conversation between he and basketball middleman Christian Dawkins.

"I went to him with a [expletive] strong-ass offer about a month ago. [Expletive] strong," Wade allegedly said regarding the recruitment Smart, who was a top-40 national recruit from Baton Rouge. "The problem was, I know why he didn't take it now, it was [expletive] tilted toward the family a little bit. It was tilted toward taking care of the mom, taking care of the kid. Like it was tilted towards that. Now I know for a fact he didn't explain everything to the mom. I know now, he didn't get enough of the piece of the pie in the deal."

The allegations against Wade and obtained by ESPN were included in the NCAA's enforcement staff's request that its ongoing infractions case involving Wade and the men's basketball program be steered through IARP, the process through which more complex cases are handled.

Earlier this year in a new HBO documentary "The Scheme," audio of Wade was aired in which he was caught in a conversation with Dawkins discussing how LSU could compensate a player "better than the [NBA's] rookie minimum."

"We'd give him more than the D-League," said Wade discussing Jaron Blossomgame, then a Clemson standout.

Nothing to say but

tenor (1).gif

I always enjoy a good mud fight when i dislike both participants! And this is one where i very much hope to see both parties sling lots and lots of mud back and forth 😂

Still amazed LSU decided to back Wade in this. I guess they figured they would get hammered if they admitted fault and fired him so why not run with it? We'll see how that goes for them

why has the ncaa not come down hard on them? i do not get it. is it because no money could be proven to be passed to the player or what? this crap about hammering some schools and letting others go with some serious allegations just blows my mind. maybe we are not paying the ncaa enough? it is like ok lets give lsu an unfair advantage. the same as bama football. i am sure if Auburn raises a stink we get folks to look closer at us or something? what happened to fairness and level playing fields?

42 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

why has the ncaa not come down hard on them? i do not get it. is it because no money could be proven to be passed to the player or what? this crap about hammering some schools and letting others go with some serious allegations just blows my mind. maybe we are not paying the ncaa enough? it is like ok lets give lsu an unfair advantage. the same as bama football. i am sure if Auburn raises a stink we get folks to look closer at us or something? what happened to fairness and level playing fields?

If you can find someone who knows how and why the NCAA does anything you be sure to send em my way. I got lots of questions!

• 2 months later...

I really wouldn't be surprised either way. It could all blow over for LSU and they get off clean, or they could get completely hammered. Probably will be somewhere between the two, but it'd be kinda awesome if they got hammered. Not the death penalty, because I want to be able to kick them while they're down (*snicker*), but a major scholarship reduction and maybe a postseason ban would be great.

• 3 months later...

I am old. LSU has been cheating like this for DECADES! Not just BB, but also FB.

NCAA has done nothing. Feds have done nothing. Even BAMA got penalized. LSU ----- NOTHING!

Between the Wade BB cheating and the Orgeron sexual assault cases, what are your odds?

This program SHOULD receive the death penalty.

But whatcha wanna bet they get off with a sissy slap on the wrist? Whatcha wanna bet?

10 hours ago, AURex said:

I am old. LSU has been cheating like this for DECADES! Not just BB, but also FB.

NCAA has done nothing. Feds have done nothing. Even BAMA got penalized. LSU ----- NOTHING!

Between the Wade BB cheating and the Orgeron sexual assault cases, what are your odds?

This program SHOULD receive the death penalty.

But whatcha wanna bet they get off with a sissy slap on the wrist? Whatcha wanna bet?

I'm sure it helps when your AD, Scott Woodward just happens to be the son-in-law of Mark Emmertt.  ☺️

On 3/1/2021 at 8:51 AM, keesler said:

I'm sure it helps when your AD, Scott Woodward just happens to be the son-in-law of Mark Emmertt.  ☺️

I read where it was one of Woodward's stepsons that is married to Emmert's daughter. Woodward worked with Emmert at LSU and Washington 2000-2010. What a load of crock. They'll get a slap on the wrist if anything.

On 3/1/2021 at 8:51 AM, keesler said:

Ding, Ding, Ding!

We found our winner!

Archived