Changes to Minor League? Thoughts?

I’m curious how this may impact colleges?  Solid recruiters like CBT take advantage of kids opting for college.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29795127/why-mlb-minor-leagues-know-end-sept-30

also ... I’ve openly wondered if the b-ball gleague will have a similar issue?

Through the decades I've enjoyed minor league baseball, so I'm not for anything that weakens it.

5 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I’m curious how this may impact colleges?  Solid recruiters like CBT take advantage of kids opting for college.

I need to know more. The article states that the minor leagues will no longer be required to pay the federal minimum wage to their players. Surely that doesn't mean less than $7.25 an hour for game time? The players couldn't live off that. What would a season's salary be?

Now, if the minors are going to pay nothing but starvation wages, all college baseball should benefit. MLB would probably love that, because they are already using college baseball as a free farm system.

I talked with a gentleman at a baseball game 2 years ago who played ball under CHB.  And I asked him about the minors vs college.  His answer, short version, a decade or two ago for high school kids the minors was the way to go.  But now a kid in his opinion gets more coaching, has access to better facilities / better training staffs, than most minor league teams especially at the lower levels and the competition is just as good at the college level.  The minors may play more ball games but they practice less and the off season training is non -existent compared to off season training for college kids while in school.  So to the original statement above, if the wages are going to crap and you factor in the thoughts the gentleman relayed to me, college is a way better choice to raise your draft stock before diving into the minors.

Baseball is a big business and I for one think they should not be exempt. They are a monopoly. I recently watched on Netflix the movie "Battered Bastards of Baseball" it gives you a real understanding about what a corrupt money hungry business MLB is.  They don't care about the fans, the towns where the game is played, or to be honest the players.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Baseball is a big business and I for one think they should not be exempt. They are a monopoly. I recently watched on Netflix the movie "Battered Bastards of Baseball" it gives you a real understanding about what a corrupt money hungry business MLB is.  They don't care about the fans, the towns where the game is played, or to be honest the players.

I think you can say that about any of the big professional sports these days. 

4 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I think you can say that about any of the big professional sports these days. 

I could and I would.  They should get no break from the government. 

Archived