RB Transformation

ellitor

Transformation continues at running back

AUBURN | The change started last season, although it didn’t necessarily show on the field. This fall, however, Auburn’s running backs are poised for a transformative year.

It starts with running backs coach Cadillac Williams, a former All-SEC tailback for the Tigers, who has added some much needed talent and depth to his room over the past 18 months.

“First of all, Cadillac is doing a great job,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. “He’s a teacher. He’s a relationship guy. He’s really close to his players. We’ve got a lot of what I would say quality depth.”

Bigsby finds some running room in Auburn's first scrimmage of preseason drills.
Bigsby finds some running room in Auburn's first scrimmage of preseason drills. (Todd Van Emst/Auburn athletics)

Malzahn took a big step in the process last year by resolving to go to more of a running back by committee approach. Leading rusher JaTarvious Whitlow had 28.4 percent of Auburn carries in 2019, the lowest of Malzahn’s seven seasons.

For comparison, Tre Mason had 43.5 percent of the carries in 2013, Cameron Artis-Payne 49.9 percent in 14 and Kerryon Johnson 44.4 percent in 17.

It may not have been as noticeable because Whitlow only rushed for 763 yards last fall as the Tigers finished 33rd in the country averaging 199.1 rushing yards per game.

Even with the loss of Whitlow, who has transferred to Western Illinois, Williams should have more depth to work with in 2020. Sophomore D.J. Williams returns after finishing second on the team with 400 rushing yards as a true freshman last year along with junior Shaun Shivers and sophomore Harold Joiner.

There are some very notable additions in Mark-Antony Richards, who redshirted last fall as he recovered from a knee injury, and true freshman Tank Bigsby, rated the nation’s No. 5 running back by Rivals, who was a big recruiting win for Williams.

That quality depth should bring more production from the group, but it might not show up entirely in the rushing numbers. That’s because the running back’s transformation is continuing this fall with the addition of offensive coordinator Chad Morris, who comes in with expectations of a more robust passing game, which will incorporate Auburn’s tight ends and running backs.

“We’ve got a lot of versatility in that room,” Malzahn said. “I’m real excited and I know Coach Morris is real excited about the running back room. Like I said even before we started practice, utilizing those guys in the passing game will be more this year also.”

After a week off, Auburn returned to practice Tuesday and Wednesday this week. The Tigers are taking off Thursday, will practice again Friday and hold a scrimmage in Jordan-Hare Stadium Saturday morning.

As much as I want all these guys to get touches if someone is on a hot streak I hope they keep feeding him.  Most excited about opening the passing game to the RBs.  As Owen said LB in this league are going to have their hands full trying to cover these TEs and RBs.  If you can’t put a DB on some line like Peggues.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

if someone is on a hot streak I hope they keep feeding him.

Hi Gus. Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to come post. Hope you don't wear down any more RBs than you have with this philosophy.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Hi Gus. Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to come post. Hope you don't wear down any more RBs than you have with this philosophy.

Tongue and cheek, I know, but I sure hope he feeds the hot hand. I don't know why you wouldn't. Feed it until you reach the point of diminishing returns. Where Gus has sometimes struggled, IMO, is recognizing when the back has reached that point.

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Tongue and cheek, I know, but I sure hope he feeds the hot hand. I don't know why you wouldn't. Feed it until you reach the point of diminishing returns. Where Gus has sometimes struggled, IMO, is recognizing when the back has reached that point.

I don't think you'll ever have to worry about the hot hand being fed here. Getting better at that balance is such a bigger issue, esp as we continue recruiting backs at a Bama/UGA level. Gotta start convincing the 2 and 3 guys they're in the fold just like those programs do

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

No Doubt

Well said.

And that's true at both the 60 minute and the full season levels. We've mismanaged games, and we've mismanaged workload over the course of the season. 

One thing I think almost all of us would like to see changed are the dive plays immediately after long gains. That is an example of terrible use of your RBs at the micro level. Multiple bad plays like that piled mostly on one guy for an entire season... well, we've seen the results in November and beyond. 

Where Gus has sometimes struggled, IMO, is recognizing when the back has reached that point.

That was the point of my post. Gus doesn't know when to be judicious with a hot hand. Also with the potential talent we have at RB I'm hoping we can spread important carries around for 2 or 3 RBs like Bama & UGA have done. Overall it's helped them recruiting the position.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well said.

And that's true at both the 60 minute and the full season levels. We've mismanaged games, and we've mismanaged workload over the course of the season. 

One thing I think almost all of us would like to see changed are the dive plays immediately after long gains. That is an example of terrible use of your RBs at the micro level. Multiple bad plays like that piled mostly on one guy for an entire season... well, we've seen the results in November and beyond. 

Amen to that comment!

I don't mind it a time or two, but show some versatility and have some pass options off of that too. 

I also want to see the same back in on a series, with runs and passes that don't telegraph who is getting the ball. 

I am expecting a more complex offensive attack with Morris so that helps too. 

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Trox can play Guard or Tackle. His tweet means if Trox is 1 of the best 5 he will play & it could be at Guard if the best position for 2 of the other 4 is tackle.

That’s what I was wondering.  I know Alec Jackson has been looking good at tackle as well.  Gotta wonder how all those ACL injuries would play into his ability to move on the outside.

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

well, we've seen the results in November and beyond. 

forget November, Kerryon missed games bc Gus did that game 1...against Georgia Southern. Speaking on that, I wish he had a better grip on saving guys when playing nothing competition. Kamryn Pettway getting 34 carries versus Mercer...I mean cmon

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

forget November, Kerryon missed games bc Gus did that game 1...against Georgia Southern. Speaking on that, I wish he had a better grip on saving guys when playing nothing competition. Kamryn Pettway getting 34 carries versus Mercer...I mean cmon

Yeah. That kinda stuff.

I do think we saw a small shift last year once DJ was healthy. I'm optimistic. 

Where I want to see Gus evolve further in his RB rotations is when he does rotate a back in, please for the love of all things ever Holy, don't pull them after one stinking play. It's inefficient and ineffective. More importantly, we never truly get to see #2 or #3 get into any sense of a rhythm which decreases production and routinely leads to stalls from the offense.

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Where I want to see Gus evolve further in his RB rotations is when he does rotate a back in, please for the love of all things ever Holy, don't pull them after one stinking play. It's inefficient and ineffective. More importantly, we never truly get to see #2 or #3 get into any sense of a rhythm which decreases production and routinely leads to stalls from the offense.

Only RB1 needs a lot of carries to get into a rhythm. The other guys need to step up with that goofball gadget play they get on 2nd and 17 after standing on the sideline for 2 1/2 quarters. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Only RB1 needs a lot of carries to get into a rhythm. The other guys need to step up with that goofball gadget play they get on 2nd and 17 after standing on the sideline for 2 1/2 quarters. 

And then we don't see them again, even after they pick up the 17. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

And then we don't see them again, even after they pick up the 17. 

Or after he runs for 17, Gus hurries up, to then hand off to him for a loss, no gain or for 1 yard. THat really fooled the D, huh?

Anybody else hearing Shivers to be named starting RB for first game?

I know Gus may be letting the most experienced leader member of the RB group to gain that honor, but I also know Gus likes to start guys and then you never see them again for a half.

51 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I know Gus may be letting the most experienced leader member of the RB group to gain that honor, but I also know Gus likes to start guys and then you never see them again for a half.

Shivers "started" against Oregon last season, FWIW. 

Shivers "started" against Oregon last season, FWIW. 

I think he “started” against Texas A&M too. Either him or Joiner iirc

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

@steeleagle No. Just that he's done well being the leader of the group. That could parley him being starter game 1 but I haven't heard or seen any credible info that he will be the starter, unless I missed something from JBoy.

I love depth. This season comes with 3 hopes/wishes:

1. That the OL can open holes for these guys, and
2. That all the RBs in rotation have enough versatility that defenses cannot predict the plays based on who is on the field, and
3. Find RBs who can block on passing plays, because ... well ... very raw OL especially in early games (thinking of UGA especially).

I know DJ earned some cred last season, but I'm really eager to see MAR get some work. And I sure hope they find a way to use Joiner.

BTW -- much of this thread seems to be about Gus handling the RB situation and gameday subs. Have we already decided that Morris will be shunted off to the rah-rah squad, with Gus calling all the offense again? Personally, call me a dreamer, but I have not given up on Morris being a real OC.

Archived