Tennessee has about 50 players out

AURex

Couldn't even scrimmage due to a lack of available players on Saturday. Wow. Wonder if the SEC has a contingency for games where a team can't take the field due to having players out this season? Think they need to. Just in case.

They had 7-8 positives. The rest were held out due to contact tracing, similar to us the week before. One of their star players, Trey Smith has a history of pulmonary clots and him getting infected could be fatal, so I’m pretty certain that wasn’t part of their strategy. 

One of the most important reasons the B1G cancelled their season was because a noticeable number of players who tested positive had developed cardiomyopathy (inflammation of the heart), which can damage the heart or even be fatal if not treated promptly. Even if treated, the players can experience a drop in pulmonary function (i.e., adequate oxygen in the system during performance).

This is NOT what anyone wants happening to football players. Luckily, coaches listen to their medical staff and experts, not bozo ideologues.

1 hour ago, AURex said:

One of the most important reasons the B1G cancelled their season was because a noticeable number of players who tested positive had developed cardiomyopathy (inflammation of the heart), which can damage the heart or even be fatal if not treated promptly. Even if treated, the players can experience a drop in pulmonary function (i.e., adequate oxygen in the system during performance).

This is NOT what anyone wants happening to football players. Luckily, coaches listen to their medical staff and experts, not bozo ideologues.

That report has been refuted, by either the B1G commissioner or one of the university presidents.

9 hours ago, AURex said:

"get them infected"? I cannot imagine ANY coach wanting his players infected now or any other time.

Sure you can. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that hasn't happened in Tuscaloosa already. Get them infected, get over a minor illness (if any) in two days, back with the team testing negative after ten days and ready for a full season of never again testing positive. It makes perfect sense.

18 hours ago, Mikey said:

That report has been refuted, by either the B1G commissioner or one of the university presidents.

Not refuted, clarified. 15 percent, not 30-35. Get a dictionary.

On 9/6/2020 at 2:47 PM, AURex said:

"get them infected"? I cannot imagine ANY coach wanting his players infected now or any other time.

I can imagine a coach wanting it. One in particular.

4 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

What I saw refuted the claim. If you have a link from a reliable source that verifies that 15% of people who test positive get inflammation of the heart, I'd be interested in reading it.

I can think of many ways to describe Saban, but abject idiot is not one of them. He will most assuredly lisen to his medical staff and the SEC guidelines and the expert science, not bozo politicians.

1. Just one bad case ending in death or long term physical side effects, and that is a multi-million dollar liability case for the university.
2. Even one case of myocarditis among starters can affect team performance as a whole
3. No player (NONE!) woukd willingly sacrifice his potentiial NFL future just because Sban wants to pretend there is such a fantaay as "herd immunity".

On 9/6/2020 at 2:47 PM, AURex said:

Surely nobody suggested that a coach is doing that? Good lord. 

11 hours ago, AURex said:

I can think of many ways to describe Saban, but abject idiot is not one of them. He will most assuredly lisen to his medical staff and the SEC guidelines and the expert science, not bozo politicians.

1. Just one bad case ending in death or long term physical side effects, and that is a multi-million dollar liability case for the university.
2. Even one case of myocarditis among starters can affect team performance as a whole
3. No player (NONE!) woukd willingly sacrifice his potentiial NFL future just because Sban wants to pretend there is such a fantaay as "herd immunity".

i am in no way attorney driven, but how could one "prove without doubt" that a university/school/employer is liable for someone catching COVID-19?

9 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

i am in no way attorney driven, but how could one "prove without doubt" that a university/school/employer is liable for someone catching COVID-19?

I'm not an attorney either, but I do play one on television.

I'm fairly certain that "proof beyond a reasonable doubt" is only the standard for criminal prosecution. In a civil case (ie. student vs institution) one must prove their civil case by the “preponderance of the evidence.” In other words, the judge or jury must believe that your case is stronger than the other side’s case.

But I agree, COVID-19 can contracted almost anywhere and it not a given that COVID-19 will also lead to Myocarditis. One, I think you would also have to prove that the university itself failed to follow its COVID-19 guidelines thus exposing a student athlete to danger. Secondly, I think you would have to prove that the University coerced the student athlete into participating in school/program functions against their better judgement.

Also Herd Immunity is a real thing. Not a fantasy. It's why the Common Flu doesn't wipe out everyone who didn't vaccinate. I'm sure you've seen the matchstick analogy...

On 9/7/2020 at 6:02 PM, CleCoTiger said:

15%? One would think if that number were true that the SEC you would not play football. Neither would anybody else. 
I saw the penn state guy last week but that turned out to be bogus. It is so hard to trust anyone with this because there are so many agendas. I just hope that this all turns out ok and these players play with no problems.

this country needs college football (ok maybe not but I do hahaha) 

Ohio State University medical researchers have reported that a percentage of their elite athletes (not just football players) have developed cardiomyopathy as a result of COVID-19. Some of them had no symptoms at all, yet still developed the heart inflammation. Even if the athlete feels okay, this heart problem can cause arrhythmia and even heart attack during performance, but at minimum reduced performance. . The medical researchers recommend that any athlete who tests positive should receive appropriate cardiac MRI and lab tests to determine whether their heart has been damaged. And if they show inflammation, they will need treatment and additional months for recovery. Even with full recovery, this could cost a kid a season of competition.

So, IMO, it would be stupid to simply ignore the potential effects of COVID-19 on young, healthy athletes.

COVID-19 is a new disease. Everyone is still learning. But these big schools with big medical research centers are doing work to figure out the effects on athletes. Asa of today, the Big10 has tabled the vote that would allow play to begin in October. They are being responsible and cautious, because they are also in a part of the country where, if players are put at risk and just one is seriously harmed or dies, they will be sued for millions.

It turns out those findings weren't all that they were cracked up to be. 

"However, the athlete’s MRIs were the only evidence of heart damage. None of the athletes had any abnormalities in the other tests, including an EKG, which measures heart rhythm, or a blood test for levels of troponin, a protein that indicates damage to the heart."  https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/covid-linked-heart-inflammation-college-athletes-small-study-suggests-n1239875

Only 26 were tested, a tiny sample when dealing with biology. Only one of the three standard tests indicated a problem in the four subjects who had an unusual MRI. The Big 10 must be thinking less and less of this study, there are whispers of them starting football in October.

Looks like the following:

1) They could not hold out any longer due to the $ involved while watching others play on TV with no issues

2) They could not hold out any longer due to the current available studies finding the players are not really in any danger

3) They could not hold out any longer due to the mass availability of covid tests

4) They could not hold out any longer because they were being sued by members of their own conference for loss of $ (for not playing)

Hindsight is 20/20. Of course they should have postponed the season in the first place to late September or October to avoid all of this and waited for for more data. I think they were trying to be the leader in the clubhouse, and they had good intent, but they just went about it the wrong way. Now they look like morons and the media is bashing them on both sides. Some of the media is using it as an "I told you so". Some of the media is bashing them because they went "all in" with the Big 10 on the player safety issue and now feel like the big 10 let them down by saying it is ok to play. I hate the media (from Fox to Cnn and everyone in between). The truth is that ff anyone had substantial proof that players should not play due to safety, they would not be playing in Oct. They would not playing now (the last few weeks). They other truth is that it is about $. 

I can't wait until they get beat in the playoffs (hopefully... by us 😀). 

3 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

They will play 8 I think. 

So how do you feel about this as far as the playoffs? To me it seems unfair and in any event puts an asterisk besides the NC if it is a Big 10 school like OSU.

Archived