Former Auburn quarterback Malik Willis

aubiefifty

Former Auburn quarterback Malik Willis named starter at Liberty

Alabama v Auburn

AUBURN, AL - NOVEMBER 25: Malik Willis #14 of the Auburn Tigers warms up on the field prior to the game against the Alabama Crimson Tide at Jordan Hare Stadium on November 25, 2017 in Auburn, Alabama. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)Getty Images

Former Auburn quarterback Malik Willis has been named the starter at Liberty for the 2020 season.

Flames coach Hugh Freeze announced Monday that Willis, a redshirt junior, will start at quarterback for Liberty in its season opener against Western Kentucky this weekend. Willis, a former three-star prospect out of high school, redshirted last season after transferring to Liberty during the 2019 offseason.

Originally a member of Auburn’s 2017 signing class, Willis served as the Tigers' backup quarterback to Jarrett Stidham during the 2017 and 2018 seasons. During that stretch, Willis appeared in 15 games and completed 11-of-14 passes for 69 yards and a touchdown while also rushing for 309 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

Willis was part of a three-man race, along with Bo Nix and Joey Gatewood, for the starting job in the spring of 2019 but ultimately opted to transfer from Auburn after Gus Malzahn and then-offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham narrowed the competition down to Nix and Gatewood at the end of spring. Willis wound up at Liberty, where Freeze -- one of Malzahn’s closest friends in the coaching profession -- is head coach, but had to sit out the season due to NCAA transfer rules after the NCAA denied his waiver for immediate eligibility.

i hope he lights it up!

• WarTiger changed the title to Former Auburn quarterback Malik Willis
  • 1 month later...
On 9/14/2020 at 11:33 AM, aubiefifty said:

i hope he lights it up!

He's been lighting it up for the Flames all season.  Hugh Freeze knows how to utilize his players and brings out the best in them.

• 2 weeks later...

How many of you have actually watched him play this year...? I'm not saying Bo isn't the guy, but damn. Malik looks GOOD. From NFL throws to vick like scrambles. He truly would have been dynamic. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 11:56 AM, TAYLORKEETON said:

How many of you have actually watched him play this year...? I'm not saying Bo isn't the guy, but damn. Malik looks GOOD. From NFL throws to vick like scrambles. He truly would have been dynamic. 

Against NC State this past weekend, 13 of 32, 172 yards, 5.4 yards per attempt, 2 TD's and 3 interceptions. Hmmm...

On 11/24/2020 at 2:33 PM, CleCoTiger said:

Against NC State this past weekend, 13 of 32, 172 yards, 5.4 yards per attempt, 2 TD's and 3 interceptions. Hmmm...

Kid had a bad game? What does that have to do with the rest of the production?

On 11/24/2020 at 2:33 PM, CleCoTiger said:

Against a similar opponent in Va Tech, Willis had over 200 passing yards for 3 TD's, over 100 rushing yards for another score. Not sure what your "hmmm" intended to mean but Willis is a baller. 

6 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Kid had a bad game? What does that have to do with the rest of the production?

Nothing. But had he been at AU and had that game, the same fans lauding him would be calling for him to ride the pine. At AU he didn't get it done. At Liberty, he is. Good for him.

2 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Nothing. But had he been at AU and had that game, the same fans lauding him would be calling for him to ride the pine. At AU he didn't get it done. At Liberty, he is. Good for him.

At Auburn he didn't even get a chance to throw the football. 

Either way, it wouldn't matter anyway because he wouldn't be the same player here as he is under Freeze who actually knows how to develop QB's.

Just another example of our comical inability to evaluate and develop QB's. Malik Willis is going to be drafted into the NFL, potentially high depending on is Freeze stays for another year.

On 11/30/2020 at 5:57 PM, CleCoTiger said:

At AU he didn't get it done.

When was he legitimately given an opportunity to "get it done" while at AU? And please, don't say practice.

Willis is just another in the long line of Auburn recruits and players that fall under the, "what could've been", "we didn't know what we had till it was gone", or "seriously, why wasn't he getting any PT?" categories.

The number of players that have been "surprises" that would never have been seen except for injury or absolute necessity is amazingly high. As a coach, It's completely absurd and unforgivable to not understand exactly what type of talent you have on your roster.  Not only does Gus not seem to know what talent he has, the talent he does recognize is so poorly positioned and managed that we never get to see complete fulfilment of their abilities. Defensively we have seen players reach their potential, on offense...?

Seriously, in the last 8 years, what offensive players have we brought in that has reached, what any reasonable person would call, fulfilment of their potential? I honestly can't think of anyone on offense that I would classify as fulfilled potential.

On 12/3/2020 at 12:36 AM, bigbird said:

When was he legitimately given an opportunity to "get it done" while at AU? And please, don't say practice.

Willis is just another in the long line of Auburn recruits and players that fall under the, "what could've been", "we didn't know what we had till it was gone", or "seriously, why wasn't he getting any PT?" categories.

The number of players that have been "surprises" that would never have been seen except for injury or absolute necessity is amazingly high. As a coach, It's completely absurd and unforgivable to not understand exactly what type of talent you have on your roster.  Not only does Gus not seem to know what talent he has, the talent he does recognize is so poorly positioned and managed that we never get to see complete fulfilment of their abilities. Defensively we have seen players reach their potential, on offense...?

Seriously, in the last 8 years, what offensive players have we brought in that has reached, what any reasonable person would call, fulfilment of their potential? I honestly can't think of anyone on offense that I would classify as fulfilled potential.

I would say Bill Taylor has

On 11/30/2020 at 11:59 AM, TAYLORKEETON said:

Against a similar opponent in Va Tech, Willis had over 200 passing yards for 3 TD's, over 100 rushing yards for another score. Not sure what your "hmmm" intended to mean but Willis is a baller. 

It just doesn't fit CleCo's narrative 

• 4 months later...
On 12/4/2020 at 10:07 AM, augolf1716 said:

I would say Bill Taylor has

did gus serve you a hot pabst or something? lol

Archived