2021 Recruiting Board (Finished 5/19/21)

Zeek

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

For edge rushers, we signed Height last year and hopeful to get Wilson this year. Both need to gain about 30 pounds to be SEC ready.

@Gowebb11We plan to sign 2 Bucks in this class & the juco Byron Young is a take. He's 6'3, 240.

19 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Our staff just doesn’t seem strategic in their focus at all. So frustrating. 

Exactly. There is zero strategy or forward thinking in our recruiting strategies. 

49 minutes ago, bigbird said:
20 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Our staff just doesn’t seem strategic in their focus at all. So frustrating. 

Exactly. There is zero strategy or forward thinking in our recruiting strategies.

And this is why touting the “strength” of Malzahn’s recruiting classes is so disingenuous. The overall number of stars and star averages look good but the failure to adequately and appropriately address roster needs is woefully inadequate. Look at the OL and QB depth as prime examples 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, fredst said:

And this is why touting the “strength” of Malzahn’s recruiting classes is so disingenuous. The overall number of stars and star averages look good but the failure to adequately and appropriately address roster needs is woefully inadequate. Look at the OL and QB depth as prime examples 

Agree on those positions but at most positions I disagree. That talent has been there. They just haven't been developed at some positions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Agree on those positions but at most positions I disagree. That talent has been there. They just haven't been developed at some positions.

I can’t disagree with that. I’m pointing to overall roster management with OL and QB being the most glaring examples. LB has been a problem during the Malzahn tenure as Mikey will happily remind you. The secondary has been a problem at times. Amazingly, the one position we have consistently recruited pretty well is WR with development and, more importantly, utilization being a solid “D” to “F”

1 hour ago, fredst said:

LB has been a problem during the Malzahn tenure as Mikey will happily remind you

And as most of us remind Mikey that was pre T-Will.

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

Disagree on defense...agree on offense. We’ve developed well on D l, but not on O.

Edited by War to the Eagle

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

And as most of us remind Mikey that was pre T-Will.

Actually, it was pre-Muschamp. In his one recruiting cycle here (2015) he signed 5 LB's and started us on the road to recovery at the position.

Let me try this again. I remember when Curry was at Kentucky they were playing Florida when Spurrier was head coach it looked like men against boys. That's what I now think of when I watch Auburn against elite teams.

• Like 2

Not going to create a thread on him yet but this is a name to keep an eye on, Keion White. He's a SDE transfer from ODU. After moving from TE to SDE his only year at the new position last year he had a school record 19 TFLs. He's expected to have 2 seasons left available. He & Gus follow each other on twitter & Garner follows him too. Those are signs of AU having strong interest.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

Added Armoni Goodwin back to the OP as a target.

Part of me wishes we would move on from him but it's been pretty interesting seeing a decommit still actually have interest (they always say they do but it's rare they do).

12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Part of me wishes we would move on from him but it's been pretty interesting seeing a decommit still actually have interest (they always say they do but it's rare they do).

The only guy I can recall who committed to AU, then decommitted and then eventually came back and signed with AU was Ricardo Lewis. There may be others but I don't remember anyone else doing that. It's rare.

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The only guy I can recall who committed to AU, then decommitted and then eventually came back and signed with AU was Ricardo Lewis. There may be others but I don't remember anyone else doing that. It's rare.

Yeah, and not just for AU it's incredibly rare in general. I think someone said Nate-Craig Myers might have been another one?

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yeah, and not just for AU it's incredibly rare in general. I think someone said Nate-Craig Myers might have been another one?

Could be, I don't remember his situation exactly, other than we also took his brother on a '2-fer' deal.

Just now, Mikey said:

Could be, I don't remember his situation exactly, other than we also took his brother on a '2-fer' deal.

We've not come out on top with 2-fer deals. Really wanted the twins (where the better brother went to Clemson)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Depending on who it was I’d agree we should move on, but with this type of talent you gotta put up with this kind of stuff

12 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Depending on who it was I’d agree we should move on, but with this type of talent you gotta put up with this kind of stuff

Until you're left hanging with no RB because you held on too long. I don't know it's so late in the recruiting process.

56 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Until you're left hanging with no RB because you held on too long. I don't know it's so late in the recruiting process.

@Zeek There are no other RBs in this class we could get the staff would be willing to take.

31 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Zeek There are no other RBs in this class we could get the staff would be willing to take.

Not a good position to be in then.

• Like 1

I believe Goodwin will recommit, but if he doesn’t it’s not like we don’t already have a logjam at that position currently.

• Like 1