2021 Recruiting Board (Finished 5/19/21)

Zeek

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I believe Goodwin will recommit, but if he doesn’t it’s not like we don’t already have a logjam at that position currently.

But not a log jam of backs that can carry the load (quality depth).  We have one and he was injured against bama.

Go back to the SEC CG in 2017 - KJ gets injured vs bama and how did we do vs UGA in Atlanta?  It was game over in the 2nd as we lost most of the playbook due to lack of RB depth.  We had backs, but not quality depth.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Beaker said:

But not a log jam of backs that can carry the load (quality depth).  We have one and he was injured against bama.

Go back to the SEC CG in 2017 - KJ gets injured vs bama and how did we do vs UGA in Atlanta?  It was game over in the 2nd as we lost most of the playbook due to lack of RB depth.  We had backs, but not quality depth.  

DJ Williams and Tank are perfectly fine in that role. 

We of any fan base should know that 2 every-down backs isn't enough. Plus, DJ hasn't shown to be SEC lead back caliber. 

4 guys total? Is that right? And one of them is gone after next year? And one of them only got on the field in real action for the first time in November, because Gus had already given up? We're calling that a log jam now? Whoa. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We of any fan base should know that 2 every-down backs isn't enough. Plus, DJ hasn't shown to be SEC lead back caliber. 

4 guys total? Is that right? And one of them is gone after next year? And one of them only got on the field in real action for the first time in November, because Gus had already given up? We're calling that a log jam now? Whoa. 

Completely agree...we need to take a RB in this class unless we're confident Shivers and MAR are sticking around.  We really need 1 more anyway...we're in a world of hurt if Shivers ends up being the only healthy one, god-forbid...you're not going to run him up the middle on 3rd and 2 and expect to convert.

28 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Completely agree...we need to take a RB in this class unless we're c onfident Shivers and MAR are sticking around.  We really need 1 more anyway...we're in a world of hurt if Shivers ends up being the only healthy one, god-forbid...you're not going to run him up the middle on 3rd and 2 and expect to convert.

I view Worm differently, but 4 guys spread out over three classes, with all four having used at least one season of eligibility... and no matter which two, it doesn't seem like anyone is super duper excited about more than two of them... We need a guy in this class.

5 hours ago, Beaker said:

@Beakerpart of that was because Kam Pettway wanted to keep his head in the clouds more than he wanted to be a team player to be available to help out.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Beakerpart of that was because Kam Pettway wanted to keep his head in the clouds more than he wanted to be a team player to be available to help out.

Yes -  every team loses players, auburn is no different.  Hence the depth is so critical.  

Lack of depth and player development is part of our Achilles heel.

• Like 3

If Godwin is out then I wish we would continue to look around.  Here is a local kid that really impressed me.  Granted I have known him since he was in grade school, but one hell of a running back.  Ran in an offense that was designed to focus on him.  Every snap of the ball end up having at least 5 guys keying on where he was and where he was going.  He runs hard and has quite the talent.

HUDL

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9794020/5de68af2386e580fa0f647db

Here is a nice article on him

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/2020/08/priceville-workhorse-jerry-burton-stars-on-off-the-field.html

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@LKEEL75Definitely not out with him at all.

Yeah, I read the thread and know we still have a shot.  Just know that a good kid that runs hard would be very useful to us no matter the coach.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

If Godwin is out then I wish we would continue to look around.  Here is a local kid that really impressed me.  Granted I have known him since he was in grade school, but one hell of a running back.  Ran in an offense that was designed to focus on him.  Every snap of the ball end up having at least 5 guys keying on where he was and where he was going.  He runs hard and has quite the talent.

HUDL

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9794020/5de68af2386e580fa0f647db

Here is a nice article on him

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/2020/08/priceville-workhorse-jerry-burton-stars-on-off-the-field.html

He looks like a very good High School running back but his profile shows him as 6' 175 pounds and a 4.78 forty.  His film shows him running hard running over people and then out running people. In the SEC at 175 pounds you are not going to be running over people and at 4.78 forty you won't be running away from people so Auburn probably would not be interested in him.  At that speed and that weight if he was using his vision and quick feet to make people miss him maybe there would be interest but he runs with heart and determination like a power back with a scat back frame. His running style along with his size and speed would not translate well to the SEC.

I am not an expert and there are always a few players who when you look at things like size, speed, etc. should not be that good but still find a way to excel if given the chance, most will not be given the chance at a Power 5 school.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He looks like a very good High School running back but his profile shows him as 6' 175 pounds and a 4.78 forty.  His film shows him running hard running over people and then out running people. In the SEC at 175 pounds you are not going to be running over people and at 4.78 forty you won't be running away from people so Auburn probably would not be interested in him.  At that speed and that weight if he was using his vision and quick feet to make people miss him maybe there would be interest but he runs with heart and determination like a power back with a scat back frame. His running style along with his size and speed would not translate well to the SEC.

I am not an expert and there are always a few players who when you look at things like size, speed, etc. should not be that good but still find a way to excel if given the chance, most will not be given the chance at a Power 5 school.

Thanks for taking the time to look and the evaluation.  I agree that he does not have the weight that some of these backs do have, but at 6' he has body to add some weight and be around 200-210.  I know that it says he runs 4.78, but I really feel like he has to be much faster than that.  I watched this kid out run a lot of kids in both football and soccer.  He is definitely not the homerun threat that we are use to at < 4.4, but he does fit in that old style of RB that would get you 3-4 yards.  Almost like a Peyton Barber kind of back.

Again, I am sure AU would not give him a look much less a second look.  At this point we are almost in a state to just need some warm bodies to fill scholarships :) 

Nothing groundbreaking but College and Magnolia had a good list of spots to fill.

RB 1 - Likely Goodwin or bust for ENSD

WR 1 - Roc Taylor is the only one I've heard much about (still currently committed to Tennessee)

OL 2/3 - Some mention Savion Byrd but it seems incredibly unlikely at this point. I think we fill these spots with transfers or JUCO

DL 2/3 - George Wilson (3*) seems to be ours to lose, Byron Young is someone we're pitching hard, and JBoy keeps hitting on Dylan Brooks as a target while Keith thinks we might not be too interested.

LB 2 - Terrence Lewis (5*) and Trevin Wallace (4*) would be awesome guys to pick up for these spots

DB 1/2 - Balfour (3*) is AU/Mizzou battle and we're in the running for 4* CB Markevious Brown (but we don't seem to be favored.

Someone is communicating with the recruits I think and telling them to wait 

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Someone is communicating with the recruits I think and telling them to wait 

That is the smart play obviously.

Just now, ellitor said:

That is the smart play obviously.

Oh yeah I agree. I wonder whose making that pitch though because this is a LOT of kids moving back to February. 

23 minutes ago, Zeek said:

If Armoni announces Wednesday I'd be amazed if we get him.

If he signs with Auburn Wednesday, we should fire the entire staff except Caddy and name him the interim head coach. Caddy will have earned that with Goodwin's signing. Come to think of it, that may not be a bad idea anyway. The New Guy will want to put is own staff in regardless.

Go into our bowl game with Caddy as HC and OC, K.J. Britt as DC and since Marshall isn't doing the punting, he can be special teams manager.   Probably wouldn't be all that bad. Stan White is already in the press box, he can radio down anything he sees from up there.

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am very happy so many of the players I was worried we had lost have decided to wait till February. It is good for both Auburn and the players.  It gives Auburn a chance to keep them if the new staff likes them and it gives the players a chance to one see if they like the new staff and if the Offensive and Defensive style fits with the type players they are.

It always saddens me to see a very talented player in a system that does not fit their skill set. It will be especially interesting with our LB's if we were to switch to a system that need larger LB's where they are expected to be able to handle O-Linemen.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Oh yeah I agree. I wonder whose making that pitch though because this is a LOT of kids moving back to February. 

Probably their families.