2021 Recruiting Board (Finished 5/19/21)

Zeek

17 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

We need to sign two LB's this cycle just to maintain. One of them being Mondon would be nice, but we need two.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We need to sign two LB's this cycle just to maintain. One of them being Mondon would be nice, but we need two.

Do we need 2? We signed 3 in the last class. And we have 2 LB’s redshirting this year from covid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Do we need 2? We signed 3 in the last class. And we have 2 LB’s redshirting this year from covid. 

Not calling you out here Sizzle, just asking a question... 

Wooten is a SR & Marsh is a Soph.  So Marsh will obviously have to be back next year however Wooten easily could go into the draft or come back next year.  If Marsh has been diagnosed with Covid then he may not be back due to health issues. (NOT SAYING THIS IS THE CASE JUST AN OBSERVATION)

This opting out is going to cause such chaos due to who is going to declare and who is coming back.

My point is that I firmly believe we need at least 2 LBs in this class in anticipation of these LBs being out next year.  Plus you can't believe that Pappoe is going to be here after next year.  He is almost certainly a 3 and done.

• Like 2

Keith says 2021 LB Trevin Wallace is a take for Auburn And has been for about a month. He’s a three star committed to Boston College. The plan now is to take two LB’s in the class. Someone feel free to create a thread on him if you want. He’s expected to get bumped to a four-star by 247 when they do their ranking updates in late October.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

Not calling you out here Sizzle, just asking a question... 

Wooten is a SR & Marsh is a Soph.  So Marsh will obviously have to be back next year however Wooten easily could go into the draft or come back next year.  If Marsh has been diagnosed with Covid then he may not be back due to health issues. (NOT SAYING THIS IS THE CASE JUST AN OBSERVATION)

This opting out is going to cause such chaos due to who is going to declare and who is coming back.

My point is that I firmly believe we need at least 2 LBs in this class in anticipation of these LBs being out next year.  Plus you can't believe that Pappoe is going to be here after next year.  He is almost certainly a 3 and done.

Do you think Wooten has put enough on film to get drafted? Is he more of a Saquon Barkley (or, better yet, Wesley Steiner) type athlete than I realized?

True football minds know better than I but I don't think of him as a guy anyone outside of Auburn really knows much about yet. Certainly not compared to Britt, Pappoe or McClain. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Do you think Wooten has put enough on film to get drafted? Is he more of a Saquon Barkley (or, better yet, Wesley Steiner) type athlete than I realized?

True football minds know better than I but I don't think of him as a guy anyone outside of Auburn really knows much about yet. Certainly not compared to Britt, Pappoe or McClain. 

I don't think he has the film necessary to make him in the first few days, but I do think he has film to get drafted. (IMO)  However, there are SO many factors going on there. 

• Who else is coming out from other schools
  • What is his (or his family's) financial situation
  • Does he think he can improve his status coming back next year based on playing time of those coming back at AU
  • What is the NCAA going to require for those who opted out next year academically.  I think this is likely the most intriguing questions.  Currently, all athletes are required to be students.  What happens if these guys have finished their BS & possibly even their Masters?  What now?  Do you enroll these kids in DR programs?  Does that offer an even further reason for transfer if your school doesn't offer dr program that you want (ie: same as Grad Transfer rules).

My point is that this is a VERY complicated issue.  We always say we can't rely on "commitments" from 18yr old kids.  Well kids that are early 20s and have the $$ in front of them are just as volatile.  Because of this I think it is only prudent that we take at least 2 LBs and in fact would lean toward 3 if we have the room based on DL & OL needs.  We all know that we don't want to be counting on our LS for our OT positions :)

As always "This is just my opinion.  I could be wrong" 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

@Mikey The staff agrees with you & has for a month at least.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Keith says 2021 LB Trevin Wallace is a take for Auburn And has been for about a month. He’s a three star committed to Boston College. The plan now is to take two LB’s in the class. Someone feel free to create a thread on him if you want. He’s expected to get bumped to a four-star by 247 when they do their ranking updates in late October.

Topic created with hope of a VERY athletic LB commitment :) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I don't think he has the film necessary to make him in the first few days, but I do think he has film to get drafted. (IMO)  However, there are SO many factors going on there. 

• Who else is coming out from other schools
  • What is his (or his family's) financial situation
  • Does he think he can improve his status coming back next year based on playing time of those coming back at AU
  • What is the NCAA going to require for those who opted out next year academically.  I think this is likely the most intriguing questions.  Currently, all athletes are required to be students.  What happens if these guys have finished their BS & possibly even their Masters?  What now?  Do you enroll these kids in DR programs?  Does that offer an even further reason for transfer if your school doesn't offer dr program that you want (ie: same as Grad Transfer rules).

My point is that this is a VERY complicated issue.  We always say we can't rely on "commitments" from 18yr old kids.  Well kids that are early 20s and have the $$ in front of them are just as volatile.  Because of this I think it is only prudent that we take at least 2 LBs and in fact would lean toward 3 if we have the room based on DL & OL needs.  We all know that we don't want to be counting on our LS for our OT positions :)

As always "This is just my opinion.  I could be wrong" 

Copy that. I'll just be surprised if there's any way he has a legit shot at getting drafted without another year of college ball. Of course, he might also have a tough time getting back into the rotation at Auburn, whereas he might be able to go to a smaller program and be the BMOC. Which is just another point in favor of your argument.

Objection! Sustained! 

• Like 1

USCEast may be after him too
Travis Wallace that is.

Edited by toddc

22 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I think we need a minimum of two every year, just to maintain. The two who red shirted last year have yet to see the field while some of the true freshmen LB's played on special teams last Saturday. That calls into question just how much help those two can be. As noted above, players who opt out are a big ???, regardless of what school or position they play.

For ten years we were lacking in both quality and quantity at the LB position. Muschamp fixed that by signing 5 in one year in his only recruiting season at AU. I'd hate to see us fall back into where we were before, ten years without a single first team All-SEC LB.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I think we need a minimum of two every year, just to maintain. The two who red shirted last year have yet to see the field while some of the true freshmen LB's played on special teams last Saturday. That calls into question just how much help those two can be. As noted above, players who opt out are a big ???, regardless of what school or position they play.

For ten years we were lacking in both quality and quantity at the LB position. Muschamp fixed that by signing 5 in one year in his only recruiting season at AU. I'd hate to see us fall back into where we were before, ten years without a single first team All-SEC LB.

I wasn’t talking about the 2 redshirts from last year, I was talking about Wooten and Marsh for this year who decided to RS. How many LB roster spots do we have? 

4 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I wasn’t talking about the 2 redshirts from last year, I was talking about Wooten and Marsh for this year who decided to RS. How many LB roster spots do we have? 

Not sure marsh will be back. He seriously contemplated transferring before he chose to sit out.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Not sure marsh will be back. He seriously contemplated transferring before he chose to sit out.

I'm also wondering if Wooten will be able to regain his form after sitting out a year or if he gets passed up by others who are playing.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yeah that’s probably for the best. Now if he leaves then yeah we should get 2 LB’s

13 hours ago, jared52 said:

I'm also wondering if Wooten will be able to regain his form after sitting out a year or if he gets passed up by others who are playing.

I don’t think that will be a problem especially since his leadership will be greatly needed should KJ forgo his second senior season and go into the draft. Also with his intelligence and work ethic I don’t think there will be much rust for him to shake off.

On 10/1/2020 at 5:53 AM, ellitor said:

I don’t think that will be a problem especially since his leadership will be greatly needed should KJ forgo his second senior season and go into the draft. Also with his intelligence and work ethic I don’t think there will be much rust for him to shake off.

Do we expect him to play next year? I for some reason had it in my head that Wooten opting out meant the end of his AU career....I know he can choose to play. I guess I didn't expect him to do so but now that I think about it....I don't know why I thought that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Do we expect him to play next year? I for some reason had it in my head that Wooten opting out meant the end of his AU career....I know he can choose to play. I guess I didn't expect him to do so but now that I think about it....I don't know why I thought that. 

He only opted out only for this year due to having a child already at home or on the way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Fwiw he's a huge cheerleader for the team on social. It's almost like he's injured and didn't choose to forgo the season. A lot can change but it feels like he made a difficult decision for the right reasons and, for now, remains very engaged. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

He was adamant in this statement to opting out that he would return.  Things change though so we will see.  

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 3:27 AM, auburn4ever said:

After saturday's game, I'm sure AU will sign more than their share of 3 star players for the 2021 class and beyond.

We had better get busy then....it’s october and we only have 13 commits.  2 big announcements this month but after Saturday, I don’t have hopes up for either of them (Scoob and KoolAid).  I understand AU needs oncampus visits but so do other schools.  We are getting KILLED on the field and on the trail.  Help?!

This recruiting class is already way, way behind our main competitors. We have a lot of catching up to do and frankly, I don't see where or how we are going to get it done.

There's nothing wrong with the 13 players we have committed. The problem is the number 13 is way too low. Last time I checked we were 33rd on Rivals and 18th in the 247 composite. That simply won't maintain, let alone help us gain ground.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This recruiting class is already way, way behind our main competitors. We have a lot of catching up to do and frankly, I don't see where or how we are going to get it done.

There's nothing wrong with the 13 players we have committed. The problem is the number 13 is way too low. Last time I checked we were 33rd on Rivals and 18th in the 247 composite. That simply won't maintain, let alone help us gain ground.

We miss on big guys and then try to reel in our backup plans after. You didn't get the memo?