2021 Recruiting Board (Finished 5/19/21)

Zeek

Agree on Bicknell. He's done solid work. I never ever wish injury on kids so don't take me the wrong way. I did not want Council to get hurt. That said, we're not winning the SEC this year. I am glad Keiondre Jones is playing and making strides this year. He's a future cornerstone for a good offensive line. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Manning, Brahms, Jones, and Council with Wilson joining the interior line mix next year. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 11:32 PM, Mikey said:

No he is not. AU is 5-2. UT is 2-5. That's nowhere near the same boat and Malzahn isn't going anywhere.

UT got a lot of those commitments early, before the season even got started. I don't think their class will hold together when it's all said and done.

Yeah Mikey same boat, except Pruitt's has 5 holes and Malfunctions's has 2(that ought not to be there!) and all Gus does to try to "Patch the holes" is with GT's. And you are probably right about him going nowhere this year because PTB don't want to "pony up" the dough that it would take to "Patch the holes". Malzhan's recruiting is pathetic alone the trenches, and that is where close games are won, in the trenches. Not to mention the undersized LB's and running backs, along with the under-development of QB's, etc...

Edited by cctiger
  • Like 3

On 11/27/2020 at 12:10 PM, cctiger said:

Yeah Mikey same boat, except Pruitt's has 5 holes and Malfunctions's has 2(that ought not to be there!) and all Gus does to try to "Patch the holes" is with GT's. And you are probably right about him going nowhere this year because PTB don't want to "pony up" the dough that it would take to "Patch the holes". Malzhan's recruiting is pathetic alone the trenches, and that is where close games are won, in the trenches. Not to mention the undersized LB's and running backs, along with the under-development of QB's, etc...

People still on the Gus Bus like Mikey are not looking at the big picture. The problem is how poor recruiting is right now. I don't know WHEN, but at some point Gus's recruiting failures will catch up with him and he won't be able to squeak by. Preferably sooner than later so we won't turn into FSU.

Basically I would gladly take a Ron Zook type if it means we get a stocked cupboard.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

Before this game i think we had a chance to pick up some committed players from SC and maybe Tenn. We had started to look a little better and they had really tanked now we tanked with them.  

20 hours ago, AUwent said:

The problem is how poor recruiting is right now. I don't know WHEN, but at some point Gus's recruiting failures will catch up with him and he won't be able to squeak by.

At this point in this recruiting cycle, we aren't in good shape. Remember, the reason we have a low ranking right now is because of numbers. The quality of our recruits is fine, we just don't have as many committed as most other schools. This recruiting cycle isn't over yet, so don't give up too soon.

Gus's recruiting in prior years has been well above Auburn's historical average.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Before this game i think we had a chance to pick up some committed players from SC and maybe Tenn. We had started to look a little better and they had really tanked now we tanked with them.  

I don't think this game will have any effect, good or bad. This season, everybody tanks when they play the Evil Empire.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I don't think this game will have any effect, good or bad. This season, everybody tanks when they play the Evil Empire.

Agree.  The next 2 games will determine our recruiting outcome, especially A&M.  Kids are impressionable and if we look good as signing day approaches it will have a big effect on their decision.

• Like 1

At this point I think we should pivot and look to sign 10 O-Linemen, maybe see if some of them can catch and convert them to Tight-ends if need be. The last three years of watching Jarrett Stidham and Bo Nix running for their lives because of garbage pass protect has become unbearable.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

At this point I think we should pivot and look to sign 10 O-Linemen, maybe see if some of them can catch and convert them to Tight-ends if need be. The last three years of watching Jarrett Stidham and Bo Nix running for their lives because of garbage pass protect has become unbearable.

It's wild we don't have an OT in the class right now despite what should be an immediate playing time sales pitch and a new OL coach with solid experience and some youth to him.

This recruiting class is weird because the 4* kids we have look like immediate impact guys (though the RB is kind of small). The 3* though are sort of underwhelming considering who we missed at the same positions. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tinman said:

Agree.  The next 2 games will determine our recruiting outcome, especially A&M.  Kids are impressionable and if we look good as signing day approaches it will have a big effect on their decision.

For most of the big dogs, recruiting has been determined already.  They’ve locked down most of our ‘A’ list from a few months ago. They are waiting to poach some of our top commits while we prepare to scramble for JUCOs, transfers, and ‘B’ listers. The Gus way. 

10 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

You beat me to the punch.  JBoy posting a couple of the defensive guys trending Auburn's way.  Gus must feel pretty good about getting those guys.  Any OT's probably gonna come from the transfer/GT market.  Losing Armoni stinks but it may end up keeping someone like MAR from leaving.  Hopefully Bicknell has already been working the 2022 guys.

On 9/18/2020 at 1:12 PM, Zeek said:

Total Spots (roughly 23-25)

With 16 commits or enrolled we're looking to fill the remaining 7-9 spots to round out the class. Here is a positional breakdown of commits and prospects.

Quarterback (1) DONE

Dematrius Davis || 4* Dual-Threat || 5'10.5" 200 lbs. || Houston, TX

Running-Back (1)

Tight End (2) DONE

Landen King || 3* || 6'5" 220 lbs. || Humble, TX

OU Transfer Grant Calcaterra || 4* || 6'4" 227 lbs. || Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

Offensive Line (4-5) 3 Currently Committed

Jaeden Roberts || 4* ||  Guard || 6'5" 340 lbs. || Houston, TX

Garner Langlo || 3* || Guard || 6'7" 270 lbs. || Ocala, FL

Eric Wilson || 3* || Guard/Center || 6'4" 315 lbs. || Minneapolis, MN

Savion Byrd || 4* || Tackle || 6'5" 265 lbs. || Duncanville, TX

Wide Receiver (1-2)

Hal Presley || 3* || Wide Receiver || 6'3" 190 lbs. || Arlington, TX

Isaiah Brevard || 4* || Wide Receiver || 6'4" 200 lbs. || Southaven, MS || Committed to Oregon

Roc Taylor || 3* || Wide Receiver || 6'2" 212 lbs. || Oxford, AL || Committed to Tennessee

Defensive Line (5) 3 Currently Committed

Lee Hunter || 4* || Defensive Tackle || 6'5" 292 lbs. || Eight Mile, AL

Marquis Robinson || 4* || Defensive Tackle || 6'3" 300 lbs. || Milton, FL

Tobechi Okoli || 3* || Defensive End || 6'5" 250 lbs. || Kansas City, MO

Dylan Brooks || 4* || Buck || 6'5" 250 lbs. || Roanoke, AL || Committed to Tennessee

George Wilson || 3* || WDE || 6'5" 214 lbs. || Virginia Beach, VA || JBoy predicted him to us

Jimmori Robinson || 3* || Buck || 6'6" 248 lbs. || Rochester, NY

Byron Young || 3* || Buck/DE || 6'3" 240 lbs. || Milledgeville, GA

Linebacker (1)

Xavian Sorey || 4* || OLB || 6'3" 214 lbs. || Bradenton, FL

Deshauwn Alleyne || 3* || 6'0" 210 lbs. || Port Saint Lucie, FL

Raheim Sanders || 3* || 6'2" 210 lbs. || Rockledge, FL || Committed to Arkansas

Trevin Wallace || 4* || 6'2" 225 lbs. || Jesup, GA || Recently decommitted we might lead

Terrence Lewis || 5* || 6'1" 200 lbs. || Opa Lacka, FL || Recently decommitted we might lead

Defensive Back (5-6) 4 Currently Committed

Ahmari Harvey || 4* || Safety || 5'10.5" 171 lbs. || Tallahassee, FL

Phillip O'Brien Jr. || 3* || Safety || 6'0" 169 lbs. || Deerfield Beach, FL

Kamal Hadden || 3* || Corner Back || 6'2" 185 lbs. || River Rouge, MI

Tar'varish Dawson || 3* || Athlete DB || 5'10" 175 lbs. || Lehigh Acres, FL

Nyland Green || 4* || Corner Back || 6'2" 183 lbs. || Covington, GA

***Oscar Chapman (Aussie Punter) counts to the 2021 Recruiting Class***

Updated a little bit I'm going to try and update a little more when I get some time.

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Updated a little bit I'm going to try and update a little more when I get some time.

@Zeek I'll help too as I have been the past couple of weeks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Zeek I'll help too as I have been the past couple of weeks.

I noticed! Thanks E.

QB

We should be set

RB

Asked Jboy who the fallback plan at RB might be and it doesn't sound like there's any names out. He said Phil Mafah (4* Clemson Commit) could be one to watch if Auburn pushed hard. He's 6'1" 215 lbs. from Loganville, GA.

3* Jarquez Hunter is the only other RB Auburn has offered that isn't committed somewhere else and is listed as more than "cool" on 247 (which means very little so take it with a grain of salt).

WR

We don't seem to be pushing hard here (we did get a lot of young talent last year). The only one listed with an offer and not committed elsewhere is 3* Keon Coleman but I haven't heard much from or about him.

TE

Tight End should be done. We're weirdly hoarding 70 players at this one position.

OL

As of November 14th we made 4* OT Savion Byrd's top 5. Not a lot of articles with buzz about him and Auburn.

I don't see any other OT's and Jboy seemed to imply we might be JUCO and Grad Transfer searching again...

DL

We seem to be leading for 3* WDE George Wilson

3* Jimmori Robinson (a JUCO kid I believe) seems to be a potential Tiger too but idk that we lead

We're in a good spot with two 4* DTs already committed just need a splash of an edge rusher

LB

We're in the market for two recent decommits. 5* Terrence Lewis (SCar decommit) and fast rising 4* Trevin Wallace (BC decommit). Both listed as ILB. We really need some LBs who can cover receivers and RBs in the passing game imo.

Doesn't look like we're targeting an OLB from what I can find.

CB

We need a top tier CB bad. Nyland Green 4* CB is a DUDE but we're in the top 3 against Bama and Clemson if I remember correctly. Tennessee may still be in it too.

4* Markevious Brown may be an option too.

3* CB Dontae Balfour has some Auburn buzz

• Like 1

Since we seem to lead for all three if we picked up Lewis, Wilson, and Wallace where would our class rank approximately? 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

QB

We should be set

RB

Asked Jboy who the fallback plan at RB might be and it doesn't sound like there's any names out. He said Phil Mafah (4* Clemson Commit) could be one to watch if Auburn pushed hard. He's 6'1" 215 lbs. from Loganville, GA.

3* Jarquez Hunter is the only other RB Auburn has offered that isn't committed somewhere else and is listed as more than "cool" on 247 (which means very little so take it with a grain of salt).

WR

We don't seem to be pushing hard here (we did get a lot of young talent last year). The only one listed with an offer and not committed elsewhere is 3* Keon Coleman but I haven't heard much from or about him.

TE

Tight End should be done. We're weirdly hoarding 70 players at this one position.

OL

As of November 14th we made 4* OT Savion Byrd's top 5. Not a lot of articles with buzz about him and Auburn.

I don't see any other OT's and Jboy seemed to imply we might be JUCO and Grad Transfer searching again...

DL

We seem to be leading for 3* WDE George Wilson

3* Jimmori Robinson (a JUCO kid I believe) seems to be a potential Tiger too but idk that we lead

We're in a good spot with two 4* DTs already committed just need a splash of an edge rusher

LB

We're in the market for two recent decommits. 5* Terrence Lewis (SCar decommit) and fast rising 4* Trevin Wallace (BC decommit). Both listed as ILB. We really need some LBs who can cover receivers and RBs in the passing game imo.

Doesn't look like we're targeting an OLB from what I can find.

CB

We need a top tier CB bad. Nyland Green 4* CB is a DUDE but we're in the top 3 against Bama and Clemson if I remember correctly. Tennessee may still be in it too.

4* Markevious Brown may be an option too.

3* CB Dontae Balfour has some Auburn buzz

I think Byrd is basically a SMU lock at this point. It was between them and Oklahoma. 
I don’t think Tennessee is in the running anymore for Green. 
Balfour, I’m interested in. It’s between us and Missouri now. I like him, he could be solid for us

im not the biggest fan of Brown personally, don’t see anything there imo

• Like 1

New Rivals 250 is out. 1 current commit in the 250 lolololol. We are a freaking DUMPSTER FIRE!!! The Plains really is burning this time. 

To piggy back off a thread from rivals this is how bad this is to put it all in context. 

That is less than these schools- Arkansas, Iowa, Pittsburg, Mississippi St, West Virginia, Maryland, Arizona St, North Carolina, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Michigan State, Michigan, Nebraska, Florida St.

That is the same amount as these schools- Minnesota, Rutgers, Missouri, Kentucky, Cal, Northwestern, UCLA, NC State, Indiana, and SMU.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

New Rivals 250 is out. 1 current commit in the 250 lolololol. We are a freaking DUMPSTER FIRE!!! The Plains really is burning this time. 

To piggy back off a thread from rivals this is how bad this is to put it all in context. 

That is less than these schools- Arkansas, Iowa, Pittsburg, Mississippi St, West Virginia, Maryland, Arizona St, North Carolina, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Michigan State, Michigan, Nebraska, Florida St.

That is the same amount as these schools- Minnesota, Rutgers, Missouri, Kentucky, Cal, Northwestern, UCLA, NC State, Indiana, and SMU.

tenor-2.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Can I interest you in some Diamonds in the Rough?

Jones mentioned this guy a few days ago as a possibility at Buck/LB:

https://247sports.com/player/byron-young-46109385/

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

LB

For edge rushers, we signed Height last year and hopeful to get Wilson this year. Both need to gain about 30 pounds to be SEC ready. Same for LBs. While our competition stacks up 230-240 pound LBers, we seem to think the 200-210 is the right size for modern SEC football. Our staff just doesn’t seem strategic in their focus at all. So frustrating. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

For edge rushers, we signed Height last year and hopeful to get Wilson this year. Both need to gain about 30 pounds to be SEC ready. Same for LBs. While our competition stacks up 230-240 pound LBers, we seem to think the 200-210 is the right size for modern SEC football. Our staff just doesn’t seem strategic in their focus at all. So frustrating. 

Pappoe 6'1" 222

Steiner 6' 227

Brother 6'1" 236 - has had nagging injuries this year

McClain 6' 211 but has actually played very well this year despite being light

Brown 6' 237

Riley 6'4" 209 is freshman with the frame to grow into 230+ 

The real issue this year with LB's is last year O-Line and backs were so busy trying to block our  DT's they seldom got to second level to get to LB's. This year we don't have players on D-Line that force O-line and backs to double team on almost every play. As year has gone on  Wooden and Hall have gotten a lot better.  As to the light Bucks Height and Kid we are looking at Wilson they have the speed, athleticism, and frames to add weight to. Hall was light when he came in is around 240 now.  

Pappoe has played great as a pass rusher and has the speed and range we need. As soon as his reading of the O improves a little more he will be a monster. I have watched the games sometimes Pappoe is a little slow in reading so is a little out of position hence he gets blocked not because he is to small. McClain who is smaller then Pappoe actually does a better job then Pappoe at this time because he reads the O better and is in better position. I expect a lot from Steiner also. We have two really good DT's coming in with this years class which as they progress will help our LB's. 

I agree our LB play at times this year has been disappointing some of that is on the Linebackers and some of that is on the D-Line. One thing I would love to see us do is disguise what we are doing better similar to what Texas A&M does having LB's line up at Line of scrimmage then sometimes rushing sometimes dropping back when ball is snapped this can confuse O-Linemen blocking assignment. With the 4 D-Linemen and 2 LB's at Line of scrimmage some times one of the DE's or both drop back at snap and LB's rush again confusing blocking scheme. 

5 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Since we seem to lead for all three if we picked up Lewis, Wilson, and Wallace where would our class rank approximately? 

@AuburnNTexasStill 18th which is only 1 up from if we land Lewis alone. Like I said in the Lewis thread there's a large gap between 17 & 19.