2021 Recruiting Board (Finished 5/19/21)

Zeek

FWIW JHead says our staff is probably looking to take about 4-5 GT & regular transfers (should the one time only transfer rule pass in January) to fill out this class. 2 OL for sure, maybe a DL, TE or WR and possibly a LB if Zakoby McClain turns pro a year early.

55 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW JHead says our staff is probably looking to take about 4-5 GT & regular transfers (should the one time only transfer rule pass in January) to fill out this class. 2 OL for sure, maybe a DL, TE or WR and possibly a LB if Zakoby McClain turns pro a year early.

This sounds more like a Plan C than a Plan B. Plan B's usually have some merit. This is nothing but trying to patch holes in a boat that's pretty much already sunk.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

This sounds more like a Plan C than a Plan B. Plan B's usually have some merit. This is nothing but trying to patch holes in a boat that's pretty much already sunk.

That & planning on some of them being immediate upgrades from what we have on the current roster. For example, while many of us joke on us going after the Harvard OG a number of people say he has legit NFL talent.

58 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That & planning on some of them being immediate upgrades from what we have on the current roster. For example, while many of us joke on us going after the Harvard OG a number of people say he has legit NFL talent.

Well this is what we will have to do. I know that this is where we are as a program. We have not proven that we can develop HS O lineman for the NFL and therefore they will not come here. I think it has been 3 years since we signed a true HS OT. I think Bick may be great but he can’t fight off the past failures unless we sign HS OTs and develops them... and nobody elite is going to give us a chance at the moment. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I think it has been 3 years since we signed a true HS OT.

2. He's gone now but Osborne was signed with the staff's intent of him being a true OT

38 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I think Bick may be great but he can’t fight off the past failures unless we sign HS OTs and develops them

He can jump start it before then some if Bro Hamm does well in the draft whenever he leaves. That will show development at least.

Well he decommitted. Unreal. I’ve never seen a team struggle with recruiting one position as much as we do with the o line. 
oh well, Time to do what we have done the last 4 years. Look for Juco and transfers.

• Like 2

The OL recruiting is inexplicable at this point. How do you let up on the OT guys you have in house? How do you pass on guys with upside like Orr? How can you not sign ANYONE? It’s incredible. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

The OL recruiting is inexplicable at this point. How do you let up on the OT guys you have in house? How do you pass on guys with upside like Orr? How can you not sign ANYONE? It’s incredible. 

Orr is a special situation. There are legitimate reasons that he wasn't offered. That one hurt me, because he was one of the big 3 for me at tackle this year, but sometimes you just gotta let it go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

How do you let up on the OT guys you have in house?

@mcgufcm Who's to say we let up? Maybe family wanting him close to where most of the family is won out.

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

How do you pass on guys with upside like Orr

PMing you on Orr. Very sketchy if we took him.

On 11/18/2020 at 11:14 PM, gr82b4au said:

When was the last time we signed a high school OT? 

Calvin Ashley

Austin Troxell

Bill Taylor

• Haha 2

Our failures recruiting the OL have been rehashed as nauseum but.....this is truly the signature failure of Malzahn’s tenure (which is an extraordinary accomplishment given the choices). Our inability to recruit and sign high quality OL , especially tackles, in anywhere close to appropriate numbers is breathtaking. You would think that the law of averages would result in a highly regarded tackle ending up at AU just by accident at least. And, apologies in advance, I don’t mean this as a dis to Bill Taylor

Edited by fredst
  • Like 4

On 11/20/2020 at 1:01 PM, ellitor said:

@mcgufcm Who's to say we let up? Maybe family wanting him close to where most of the family is won out.

On the let up, Gooch said we were not talking to him as much as UT. Then he flipped. Johnson said ND coaches were contacting him as much as Auburn. It certainly seems like we thought the hay was in the barn. 

18 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Johnson said ND coaches were contacting him as much as Auburn

By definition of the sentence that is not letting up.

18 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

It certainly seems like we thought the hay was in the barn. 

Nope. We knew ND was going to stay hard after him.

Wonder what Dylan Brooks thought about that game last night. Jboy been hinting at something going to happen in recruiting. He never said Brooks’ name but I’m just trying to connect the dots

On 11/20/2020 at 1:01 PM, ellitor said:

I'd appreciate a PM on that subject too. It seems I'm now the only person south of Canada that doesn't know the situation. :)

On 11/22/2020 at 8:29 AM, Sizzle said:

Wonder what Dylan Brooks thought about that game last night. Jboy been hinting at something going to happen in recruiting. He never said Brooks’ name but I’m just trying to connect the dots

Coach told me in a Facebook Auburn group that Brooks is unlikely, and that he's not the player the coaches want most from UT. I asked who was, but he never responded.