2021 Recruiting Board (Finished 5/19/21)

Zeek

9 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Coach told me in a Facebook Auburn group that Brooks is unlikely, and that he's not the player the coaches want most from UT. I asked who was, but he never responded.

Coach as in JBoy?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Coach as in JBoy?

Yes. Sorry, thought that would be obvious.

20 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Coach told me in a Facebook Auburn group that Brooks is unlikely, and that he's not the player the coaches want most from UT. I asked who was, but he never responded.

Must’ve been Roc Taylor

1 minute ago, Sizzle said:

Must’ve been Roc Taylor

Pretty sure this exchange happened after the Taylor flip.

45 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Pretty sure this exchange happened after the Taylor flip.

@RednillaRoc Taylor hasn't flipped yet. He's still a vol.

@SizzleI can't remember the name but Keith has talked about another Vol commit AU likes not named, Roc, Brooks, or Gooch.

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@SizzleI can't remember the name but Keith has talked about another Vol commit AU likes not named, Roc, Brooks, or Gooch.

It’s not 5 star LB Terrence Lewis is it?

56 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

It’s not 5 star LB Terrence Lewis is it?

No. I would have remembered him. It was another under rated guy.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

No. I would have remembered him. It was another under rated guy.

Only other commits they have that I remember we were interested in were one of their QB commits from Texas and their RB commit Cody Brown and I doubt it’s either of them. So it must be somebody new

58 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Only other commits they have that I remember we were interested in were one of their QB commits from Texas and their RB commit Cody Brown and I doubt it’s either of them. So it must be somebody new

@SizzleIt was a new name not the old names. I would’ve remembered the old names.

This may be old news to some of y’all. It’s from a (public) utk site posted 11/20.  With at least 75% of their fan base calling for Pruitt’s head, I’ll be extremely disappointed if we’re not able to flip several of these guys. 

For years now, Tennessee and Auburn have battled on the recruiting trail, with both teams winning key battles recently. We take an opportunity to look at the battles they have going in 2021 and beyond. 

Recent History

Tennessee and Auburn have had some heated battles in recent years, but none more interesting than Jay Hardy's recruitment last season. Hardy was all locked in with the Vols until a trip to the Plains the weekend before his commitment led to a commitment to Tennessee. Hardy gave multiple recruiting reporters, including myself, a commitment interview for Tennessee before his announcement, but then shocked the world and chose Auburn. The drama did not end there, however, as Hardy maintained that he would sign with a school during the late signing period, but he actually signed with Auburn during the early signing period, continuing to lead the Vols on. Hardy was a tough loss for the Vols, and he would have likely been on the field already in Knoxville. The Vols had a glaring need at tackle when Jeremy Pruitt took over, and they prioritized Wanya Morris, but so did Auburn. Tennessee won out as Morris chose to be a cornerstone for the Vols class, but Auburn continued to battle for him over the duration. On the same day Morris committed, his teammate, Owen Pappoe, chose the Tigers. Tennessee made a late push for his services but fell short. The Vols also beat out Auburn for Ramel Keyton in the 2019 class. 

The Present

Tennessee has out-dueled Auburn on the trail in 2021, so far. The Vols landed the commitment of Dylan Brooks over the Tigers and numerous others, while also grabbing verbal pledges from quarterback Kaidon Salter, running back Cody Brown, and receivers Roc Taylor and Julian Nixon. Auburn won an early battle by grabbing the commitment of in-state offensive tackle J'Marion Gooch, but Tennessee stayed in the race and flipped his commitment. The Vols are unblemished against the Tigers to this point, but the work is far from over. Auburn continues to reach out to Dylan Brooks and Cody Brown, but both have remained firm in their pledges to Tennessee. Big-framed wide receiver Roc Taylor remains a priority for Auburn, but the Vols appear to have a hold on his commitment. The Vols still have work to do as Auburn is not going to go away. 

There are still plenty of battles playing out between the two schools. Nyland Green is considered one of the top defensive backs in the country, and at different points in his recruitment, each school has maintained momentum.   On Wednesday, elite linebacker Smael Mondon committed to Georgia. Both Tennessee and Auburn had prioritized Mondon, so it was a significant blow to their recruiting efforts. However, they have both turned focus to Boston College commitment, Trevin Wallace. Wallace has exploded onto the scene with numerous schools across the Southeast reaching out, and Tennessee will try to lean on extensive ties to South Georgia to land him. Auburn has firmly positioned itself in the race, and they could be the team the Vols are chasing.  Staying on the theme of Georgia prospects, junior college edge rusher Byron Young has been a top priority for both schools. He is focusing on three schools heading into the early signing period, with Florida State also in the mix. Tennessee has a glaring need on the edge, so they have a lot to sell Young, but the Tigers' on-field production will weigh-in here as well. He will be one to watch over the next month. 

The Future

The main battle between the two teams in 2022 appears to be for Volunteer state QB Ty Simpson. Simpson is one of the top duel-threat Quarterbacks in America, and both schools love his skillset. It is eerily similar to that of Bo Nix's, and Auburn is making that a selling point. The two have a lot in common as well. Clemson and Alabama are also heavily involved for the young gun slinger. Other potential targets the teams could cross paths on are, offensive tackle Addison Nichols (Ga.), Khurtiss Perry (Ala.), and Jalon Walker (N.C.). 

14 minutes ago, auburndkel said:

This may be old news to some of y’all. It’s from a (public) utk site posted 11/20.  With at least 75% of their fan base calling for Pruitt’s head, I’ll be extremely disappointed if we’re not able to flip several of these guys. 
Tennessee has out-dueled Auburn on the trail in 2021, so far. The Vols landed the commitment of Dylan Brooks over the Tigers and numerous others, while also grabbing verbal pledges from quarterback Kaidon Salter, running back Cody Brown, and receivers Roc Taylor and Julian Nixon. Auburn won an early battle by grabbing the commitment of in-state offensive tackle J'Marion Gooch, but Tennessee stayed in the race and flipped his commitment. The Vols are unblemished against the Tigers to this point, but the work is far from over. Auburn continues to reach out to Dylan Brooks and Cody Brown, but both have remained firm in their pledges 

Sorry to keep beating the the dead horse that is Tennessee football, but as a follow up to the recruiting post, this is on si.com:

Brandon Martin

After a fifth straight loss, losing in the same fashion, with the same mystifying personnel decisions, it would be fair to question if Jeremy Pruitt is in over his head. After the Vols lost 30-17 to Auburn on the Plains, there were some hard questions leveled at Pruitt. When the results of the game are coupled with Pruitt's post-game press conference, it is now clear that he is in over his head. For the second loss in a row, Pruitt followed a loss full of coaching gaffes with a press conference full of bewildering answers. The statements Pruitt made reflect stubbornness and a disconnect from reality. They show a standard for the entire team, that seemingly doesn't apply to one, single player. It is also a crash course in how to lose a locker room. These are all the more maddening because Pruitt knows the game of football far, far too well to make these decisions and statements.... When asked what he would say to fans concerned about the state of the program, Pruitt said, “That ain’t my job, guys. My job is to coach.” Keeping that in mind, Pruitt has failed at his job like no coach in the history of the Tennessee program, losing a fifth straight game by double digits for the first time in 129 years of Volunteer football. This coach has no answers for Tennessee fans for the state of the program, stating it is not his job. That is fair. His coaching acumen, particularly where his quarterback is concerned, can only then be seen as overwhelmed by stubbornness or stupidity. His ability to motivate his team, due to a multitude of blowout losses and failures to prepare for opponents, can only be viewed as a failure. In Pruitt's third season, his team has clearly taken a dramatic step back. Pruitt may not want to comment on the state of the program because it is not his job. He may also not want to admit the state of the program is not where it needs to be because he has failed in doing his job so spectacularly that he is in danger of losing said job. 

So, how are they out recruiting us right now?

4 minutes ago, auburndkel said:

the program is not where it needs to be because he has failed in doing his job so spectacularly that he is in danger of losing said job. 

Maybe because Gustav is in the same boat?

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, cctiger said:

Maybe because Gustav is in the same boat?

No he is not. AU is 5-2. UT is 2-5. That's nowhere near the same boat and Malzahn isn't going anywhere.

UT got a lot of those commitments early, before the season even got started. I don't think their class will hold together when it's all said and done.

56 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't think their class will hold together when it's all said and done.

We need it to fall apart quickly.

• Like 2

Thanks @auburndkel. Last report though from Auburn's end though says AU has other targets higher on the board than Ty Simpson. Wallace is a definite take for AU & Young may be also.

10 hours ago, auburndkel said:

They aren't. They just have more commits right now. On rating per recruit though, which matters more than total recruit points, on the composite AU has a better score with an 89.92 to the Vols 89.68.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Thanks @auburndkel. Last report though from Auburn's end though says AU has other targets higher on the board than Ty Simpson. Wallace is a definite take for AU & Young may be also.

They aren't. They just have more commits right now. On rating per recruit though, which matters more than total recruit points, on the composite AU has a better score with an 89.92 to the Vols 89.68.

That is the slightest of margins, Although it remains to your point that they aren't out recruiting us by points. However, based on the trends of the program, I would consider this being out recruited. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ellitor said:

Oops, I didn't realize that. I thought I remembered him having flipped already. Maybe that is who Coach meant, then.

1 hour ago, Auhud08 said:

@ellitor havent they flipped/taken a few recruits we thought wed get though? 

@Auhud08Flipped Gooch & beat us for now with Brooks. When they landed Roc Taylor we had not offered yet. Cody Brown was also not a take for us when he committed to them.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

However, based on the trends of the program, I would consider this being out recruited.

@DAGI would wait til NSD to make an assessment. As things are trending now their class looks about to implode.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@DAGI would wait til NSD to make an assessment. As things are trending now their class looks about to implode.

make-it-so-star-trek.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@Auhud08Flipped Gooch & beat us for now with Brooks. When they landed Roc Taylor we had not offered yet. Cody Brown was also not a take for us when he committed to them.

Cody Brown’s a future fullback anyway, quote me in 4 years. 

There is no doubt our O-Line recruiting at HS level has been anemic especially at the OT level. That said because of the Pandemic and injuries' we have had a lot of players get experience and we have seen and improvement in O-Line play. Last year we brought in a few JC players. Zierer has had a year to heal and get stronger as has Coffee who has also played some this year, Alex Jackson, Hamm, Manning, Brahms have started to look really good as did Council before his injury and Troxell looked solid. Bicknell has shown that he can coach up O-linemen.  Improved O-Line play should be a plus in helping Bicknell to recruit.  I am hoping we start to be able to bring in at least 2 high School OT next year along with 2 interior linemen and that becomes the norm.

I have been impressed with what Bicknell has done with players he inherited.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2