Ruth Bader-Ginsburg has died

AUDub

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

That's extremely impressive and admirable. :bow:  My hat's off to you.

I wish I had such  any control over my emotional reactions.

FTFY...:big:

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Whether or not George Floyd was a criminal has no bearing on the fact that he was unjustly killed.  And you act like this is a one off event.  Our Black community has been telling us this stuff happens to them all of the time.  They finally have video evidence and rightfully rose up.  Add in people like Brianna Taylor who was killed in her own apartment and it doesn't get better.

The politicians didn't cause a swing in the polls.  People rising up did.

The fact that George Floyd an d Breonna Taylor are household names should tell you how rare this s*** is. Check out the leaked documents in the Taylor case. She has been painted as a saint in the media. She certainly didn’t deserve to die. She did deserve to have her home raided. 

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

She certainly didn’t deserve to die. 

This is literally the only part that matters.

And the point isn't just about police killing Black people.  It's about the targeting of the Black community as whole.

Example: I got pulled over last week by my house for speeding.  Never once was I worried about how to interact with the officer.  Now compare that Philando Castille.  He notified the officer that he had a gun and was still killed.  Why?  Would you or I have been treated the same way?  Doubtful.

How about this video?  The kid was unarmed and ran.  Does that justify shooting at him?   

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2018/jun/27/black-unarmed-teen-antwon-rose-shot-in-pittsburgh-video

It happens to Black people at a far higher rate than White people and that's the problem.  If we are to be an equal society, then there shouldn't be a segment having to act differently around cops and be more careful than I do.  It's not right.

Opinion piece from USA Today, but good perspective about the long term ramifications that McConnell and crew risk if they try to jam through the appointment.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/09/20/ruth-bader-ginsburg-supreme-court-republicans-should-wait-column/5842050002/

20 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is literally the only part that matters.

And the point isn't just about police killing Black people.  It's about the targeting of the Black community as whole.

Example: I got pulled over last week by my house for speeding.  Never once was I worried about how to interact with the officer.  Now compare that Philando Castille.  He notified the officer that he had a gun and was still killed.  Why?  Would you or I have been treated the same way?  Doubtful.

How about this video?  The kid was unarmed and ran.  Does that justify shooting at him?   

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2018/jun/27/black-unarmed-teen-antwon-rose-shot-in-pittsburgh-video

It happens to Black people at a far higher rate than White people and that's the problem.  If we are to be an equal society, then there shouldn't be a segment having to act differently around cops and be more careful than I do.  It's not right.

It doesn’t happen at a far higher rate. That’s what the numbers we are talking about show. You assume that because the liberal media pushes it on you. If you figure in violent crime and felony arrests it happens at a lower rate . That is a fact. 

4 minutes ago, alexava said:

It doesn’t happen at a far higher rate. That’s what the numbers we are talking about show. You assume that because the liberal media pushes it on you. If you figure in violent crime and felony arrests it happens at a lower rate . That is a fact. 

You sure about that?  Because studies show you're wrong.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6080222/

Results:

Victims were majority white (52%) but disproportionately black (32%) with a fatality rate 2.8 times higher among blacks than whites. Most victims were reported to be armed (83%); however, black victims were more likely to be unarmed (14.8%) than white (9.4%) or Hispanic (5.8%) victims. 

12 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

OK.  I want you to remember what you said when Dems decide to add Puerto Rico and D.C. as states plus expand the Supreme Court.  It's all just a part of "politics", right?

Hopefully, the Dems will never control the Senate again. Then we won't have to worry about what they might pull. But, in the sad event that they do gain the Senate at some distant point in the future and try these tricks, I will be unhappy but I clearly won't be surprised or somehow offended because they played politics. It's to be expected. Now, get over it when Trump gets to name his replacement to the SCOTUS. It would be really cool if this got done in record time. A week or two would be great!

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Hopefully, the Dems will never control the Senate again. Then we won't have to worry about what they might pull. But, in the sad event that they do gain the Senate at some distant point in the future and try these tricks, I will be unhappy but I clearly won't be surprised or somehow offended because they played politics. It's to be expected. Now, get over it when Trump gets to name his replacement to the SCOTUS. It would be really cool if this got done in record time. A week or two would be great!

You uh, you may want to check recent polling in key states.  The Dems could control the Senate as soon as January.  Hell man, even Lindsey Graham is tied right now in deep red South Carolina.

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You uh, you may want to check recent polling in key states.  The Dems could control the Senate as soon as January.  Hell man, even Lindsey Graham is tied right now in deep red South Carolina.

Graham is tied due to Hollywood types pumping $25 million into S.C. to beat him. By November, their 25 mill. should be wasted. Like Tuberville in Alabama, S.C. people voting the straight Pubbie ticket will be enough to put Graham over the top.

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Graham is tied due to Hollywood types pumping $25 million into S.C. to beat him. By November, their 25 mill. should be wasted. Like Tuberville in Alabama, S.C. people voting the straight Pubbie ticket will be enough to put Graham over the top.

Get your facts straight.  Graham has more money on hand than his opponent.  Money isn't changing people's minds.  He may still win, but a tied poll has to be concerning.

10 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

I don’t know. I absolutely think it is possible based on his medical condition at the time. 

You really have to distort the hell out of reality to support some of the things you do.

5 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

You really have to distort the hell out of reality to support some of the things you do.

What have I distorted as it relates to this incident? I only seek the truth. 

10 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

You sure about that?  Because studies show you're wrong.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6080222/

Results:

Victims were majority white (52%) but disproportionately black (32%) with a fatality rate 2.8 times higher among blacks than whites. Most victims were reported to be armed (83%); however, black victims were more likely to be unarmed (14.8%) than white (9.4%) or Hispanic (5.8%) victims. 

Those numbers change a lot over the most recent couple years. But you cannot just base it on population. You must consider crime . Black people commit 52% of murders and robbery. That’s more in numbers before you even consider rates. Black men, 6.5% of the population committ more murders than all other demographics combined. Black people are about 5-6 TIMES more likely to kill a person than white people are. All other violent crimes like assault and rape they are still 2-3 times the rate of white people.  Last year 999 people were killed by police . only 55 were unarmed. Only 14 were black nearly every one of those were justified. We have to quit buying the s*** the liberal media is selling. These are very small numbers. And we don’t see videos of white people getting killed. It ain’t because it ain’t happening. It’s because it doesn’t sell. 
      You want to reduce police shootings. Look at the real numbers. Let me save you some time. Virtually all unarmed shootings were caused by fighting and resisting. And it’s thousands every day that resist arrest and fight cops, literally thousands. 55 shot all last year. We don’t have a widespread problem with police. We have a problem with criminals. 

16 minutes ago, alexava said:

Those numbers change a lot over the most recent couple years. But you cannot just base it on population. You must consider crime . Black people commit 52% of murders and robbery. That’s more in numbers before you even consider rates. Black men, 6.5% of the population committ more murders than all other demographics combined. Black people are about 5-6 TIMES more likely to kill a person than white people are. All other violent crimes like assault and rape they are still 2-3 times the rate of white people.  Last year 999 people were killed by police . only 55 were unarmed. Only 14 were black nearly every one of those were justified. We have to quit buying the s*** the liberal media is selling. These are very small numbers. And we don’t see videos of white people getting killed. It ain’t because it ain’t happening. It’s because it doesn’t sell. 
      You want to reduce police shootings. Look at the real numbers. Let me save you some time. Virtually all unarmed shootings were caused by fighting and resisting. And it’s thousands every day that resist arrest and fight cops, literally thousands. 55 shot all last year. We don’t have a widespread problem with police. We have a problem with criminals. 

Who's "buying what the liberal media is saying"?  I posted an academic study.  You've yet to source any work in this debate.  And the rate, as shown, that Black people are killed by police is far higher than Whites (nearly 3:1 if you need a refresher).  It's right there in the study.

You can argue raw numbers until you're blue in the face, but that doesn't change the rate statistic, which is similar to a per capita number to give a fair assessment.  It's based on population in order to explain that if a White person or Black person commits the same crime, one is 3x more likely to be killed by the cops than the other.

I'm not sitting here arguing anything else.  You can move the goalposts all you want and start arguing raw numbers, but I never claimed anything about those.  You said that Blacks being killed by police at a higher rate than Whites was BS without any proof.  When provided with proof, you've not given any rebuttal to it with sourcing, but instead tried to move the narrative.

15 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

"buying what the liberal media is saying"

I feel like this is a giant, growing black hole and I'm watching people fall into it who I never thought would. It's really sad and scary. Just the slightest tilt in one's perspective on a particular topic and whoosh, down the rabbit hole they go. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I feel like this is a giant, growing black hole and I'm watching people fall into it who I never thought would. It's really sad and scary. Just the slightest tilt in one's perspective on a particular topic and whoosh, down the rabbit hole they go. 

You're not wrong.  It's becoming a fall back for when the argument they are making isn't supported.  It's lazy and sad.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well  I tried to warn him. Like I said back then, it's incredibly seductive. 

1 hour ago, SocialCircle said:

What have I distorted as it relates to this incident? I only seek the truth. 

You're saying the remote possibility, despite any evidence, that he might have died at the same time even if he was sitting on a bench somewhere is pretty far out there.

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Get your facts straight.  Graham has more money on hand than his opponent.  Money isn't changing people's minds.  He may still win, but a tied poll has to be concerning.

Do you have a problem with seeing the written word? Need better glasses? My stated fact was that Hollywood types have pumped $25 million into S.C. in hopes of defeating Graham. If that's not straight, prove otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Do you have a problem with seeing the written word? Need better glasses? My stated fact was that Hollywood types have pumped $25 million into S.C. in hopes of defeating Graham. If that's not straight, prove otherwise.

No, your "stated fact" was that the reason it was a tie was because they were pumping money into the race.  But Graham has more money than his opponent, so it's not like Graham is being outspent and can't get his message out.  In essence by putting forth this as a reason, you're saying that the only reason he opponent has managed to make it close is that he can get his message out too, instead of it just being a Graham-dominated monologue.  That's not exactly a winning point.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

No, your "stated fact" was that the reason it was a tie was because they were pumping money into the race.  But Graham has more money than his opponent, so it's not like Graham is being outspent and can't get his message out.  In essence by putting forth this as a reason, you're saying that the only reason he opponent has managed to make it close is that he can get his message out too, instead of it just being a Graham-dominated monologue.  That's not exactly a winning point.

I'm saying the only reason it's close is because of Left Coast donations. How much money Graham may or may not have doesn't matter. Take away the $25 million from Hollywood and it's a walk through for Graham.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm saying the only reason it's close is because of Left Coast donations. How much money Graham may or may not have doesn't matter. Take away the $25 million from Hollywood and it's a walk through for Graham.

Because money = votes, right?  Clinton's campaign had more money on hand than Trump's in 2016, yet lost.  Your argument doesn't hold water.

22 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You're saying the remote possibility, despite any evidence, that he might have died at the same time even if he was sitting on a bench somewhere is pretty far out there.

First of all I never said he would have died had he been sitting on a bench somewhere.  I understand the amount of stress he was under that would likely not have existed had he been simply sitting on a bench somewhere. So I agree he very likely wouldn't have died had he been sitting on a bench somewhere.  This is just you distorting what I said. 

As far as evidence goes he said he couldn't breathe long before the police brutalized him.  He was loaded up with drugs and had underlying medical conditions while also having Covid-19.  Saying there is no evidence to even suggest it is a possibility he might have died had the police not put him on the ground and put his knee forcefully on his neck for 8 minutes is you distorting things.....not me.  I am only suggesting it is a possibility.   

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Right - because he's the only one who can advertise, pay more campaign staff, put on big events, and so on.  The money Graham has does matter if his opponent is severely underfunded.

Think of it another way - if he needs the deck stacked in his favor that much to be winning, and simply having his opponent get *some* money is causing a tie - then it's not Left Coast money that's the problem.  It's that Graham's message or his performance isn't connecting with the voters.

22 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

It's very possible. Maybe not sitting on a bench, but walking down the street could have done him in.

"Yes, a person can overdose on fentanyl. An overdose occurs when a drug produces serious adverse effects and life-threatening symptoms. When people overdose on fentanyl, their breathing can slow or stop. This can decrease the amount of oxygen that reaches the brain, a condition called hypoxia. Hypoxia can lead to a coma and permanent brain damage, and even death."

George Floyd died of hypoxia.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/fentanyl

Archived