shift in offensive philosophy

AUEngineer2016

For those who haven't kept up with the NFL, the Seahawks completely changed up their offensive philosophy this year, in part thanks to the "Let Russ Cook" movement. The following video explains the concept far better than I ever could, so I'll drop it here.

The TL;DR of the video is that statistics and analytics (again, the video goes in to much greater detail) show that offenses who throw the ball more on early downs in the NFL correlate to the offenses that have the highest points-per-game statistic over the past 2 years. The Seahawks, who have traditionally been a run-first offense, have adopted that style of offense this year, and in Game 1 vs the Falcons, they passed 65% of the time on first down, and KEPT passing even during the 4th quarter when they were comfortably in the lead.

One of the points that Brett makes in the video though is that this style of offense relies on a Quarterback who a) can make the throws necessary in that kind of offense and b) doesn't make decisions and mistakes that cause turnovers. 

With the addition of Coach Morris and his history of good passing attacks, do you think we will see a similar philosophical change in the offense this year (meaning, more early-down passes)? If so, do you think Bo Nix is capable of being that kind of ultra-efficient passer necessary to make that system work?

1 hour ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

With the addition of Coach Morris and his history of good passing attacks, do you think we will see a similar philosophical change in the offense this year (meaning, more early-down passes)? If so, do you think Bo Nix is capable of being that kind of ultra-efficient passer necessary to make that system work?

Yes to the first question, although I doubt we will be throwing 65% on first down. 

And, yes, I think Bo is capable, but we'll have to wait and see. Personally, I'm expecting to see a big leap forward from him this year. If the o-line follows, so will the offense.

• WarTiger changed the title to shift in offensive philosophy
4 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I don’t know if Bo can be ultra efficient like Russ. I feel like Bo will  improve but Russ has always been really efficient, run first or not 

No way... I mean, I'd love to see it, but Russ has a decade of experience in the NFL now. Bo is still a baby.

He only threw 25 ish times. Russ is still super efficient. It’s not like they let him throw it all over the yard. 

and...they almost lost. Wonder if Pete will go back to running the ball and clock control if they had let that game slip away. 

11 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I don’t know if Bo can be ultra efficient like Russ. I feel like Bo will  improve but Russ has always been really efficient, run first or not 

Yeah. He's freakishly efficient even by NFL standards. I heard one analyst say it well: pass for pass, he might be the best QB in the league.

But like @Barnacle said, yeah, Bo has a chance to be good enough to justify throwing a little more, throwing on earlier downs, and throwing a much broader range of passes than any of our guys have traditionally been allowed to. 

Also, I think the irregular offseason is going to benefit offenses more than defenses during the early part of the season. I think we're going to see a lot of 4th quarter fireworks due to tired defenses. And Bo gets his center and, by far, his top 3 pass catchers from last season back. 

Archived