4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Low to the ground and strong as an ox

I think people make way to much assumptions based on size 

It's comical

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

He was the most efficient back on the roster last year. I do not see him being a 3 down back getting 20 carries a game, but I could see him being first on the field every game and getting 10-12 touches (including receptions) a game which I think he needs. He is very capable of housing it any given time. 

Plus, seems like Ive read where we will be much more pass oriented with CM's offense, if s,  he wont see quite as many touches as we have been used to seeing the past few years.

9 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I do not see him being a 3 down back getting 20 carries a game

Only because we have other capable backs and there's no need to put it all on one guy. And also because we should have a competent passing offense that doesn't call for 45 rushing attempts a game. 

But if we have attrition and Worm is still standing, he can be that guy. 

After seeing V8 truck an All American Db in the Iron Bowl people still questioning his ability is baloney, I’m telling you, it’s baloney! (Insert curse words)

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Only because we have other capable backs and there's no need to put it all on one guy. And also because we should have a competent passing offense that doesn't call for 45 rushing attempts a game. 

But if we have attrition and Worm is still standing, he can be that guy. 

agree

12 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

He was the most efficient back on the roster last year. I do not see him being a 3 down back getting 20 carries a game, but I could see him being first on the field every game and getting 10-12 touches (including receptions) a game which I think he needs. He is very capable of housing it any given time. 

He rushed for 286 yds and caught 4 passes.  He averaged 4 touches a game.  

Through 4 pages of this thread, I'm convinced that most of the good football coaches are tied up on this message forum. It's no wonder Auburn football has been in a cylical lull for several years. 

Let's hit the field, guys!:party:

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Kinda crazy that you have to explain this to anyone in 2020. 

One guy will get more carries than the others, but the disparity won't be as significant as it has been in the past for us. We will keep these guys fresh but also engaged. We will change up the pace from time to time. We will take advantage of those variances in skill sets according to what the defense is giving us and game script. This is a mentality that any team with ample talent at RB has in the modern day. 

In 2018, Alabama's RB1 had 150 carries. RB3 had 117. RBs 1 and 2 were drafted in the 3rd and 1st rounds, respectively. RB3 is a senior this year and will likely be a high draft pick. Alabama had the #3 offense in the country in 2018.

Also, I see the size queens are out in force in this thread. Lordy, imagine what kind of simple-minded dinosaur still writes off a running back in 2020 based on his size. Especially when he's the fastest RB in the league and possesses both the build and the violence of an honest to god wrecking ball. As for Wooden, that's a bit more understandable, but word is he's more in the 280-285 range now. 

Auburns lead back the last 2 years had 150 and 156 carries...same as Bama.  Then there is a huge dropoff (83 and 104).  So not sure the point you think you are making.  Ala had 2 top draft picks in that backfield, because they had two NFL caliber backs; who could both put up big #'s; not because of some grand strategy to give them 150 carries or less.  In 2019 (one of the two leading guys in the 2018 Bama backfield you reference), Najee Harris had 209 carries and 27 catches.  Bama rushing offensive production was 5.2 yds per carry in 2018; and 5.0 in 2019.  If there is some correlation between how many carries the back-ups gets vs the starter and overall offensive production; you're not illustrating it.  I suspect you'll find a stronger correlation to the relationship of the number of carries of the starter vs backups; in examining how badly the team is beating the other one going into the 2nd half.  If you're up by 30 in the 3rd qtr; you spread the ball around; and of course if you have two NFL caliber backs; which happens once in a blue moon in the same backfield (Brooks and Cribs, Bo and Fullwood; Ronnie and Caddie - that is three times in 45 years).  Clemson lead back in 18/19 had over 200 carries each year; the #2 less than 80; and LSU had 240 and 210.  

20 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Through 4 pages of this thread, I'm convinced that most of the good football coaches are tied up on this message forum. It's no wonder Auburn football has been in a cylical lull for several years. 

Let's hit the field, guys!:party:

You are right of course; but Gus has showed us all what really matters...it's not recruiting or winning championships; it's all about the right agent.  

16 minutes ago, japantiger said:

You are right of course; but Gus has showed us all what really matters...it's not recruiting or winning championships; it's all about the right agent.  

You’re a lotta fun aren’t you.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

For the record, I'm very excited about Jackson's future and am fully on board with the move to OL. I will not be surprised to see him get drafted.

What I'm surprised and concerned about is 1) him so quickly supplanting a big time OT when he hasn't been playing OL that long and 2) the fact that we're not even sure he's actually supplanted him here just a few days before kickoff.

I'm not freaking out about it or anything. I just had to find something to neg about and this was the only thing I could come up with. A lot of good responses to my consternation. 

Totally understand where you are coming from. Even despite my Orange and Blue glasses I have some trepidation with LT also. I am hoping it is because Jackson improved that much. I just really want to believe it is because we have two really good LT's

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

He rushed for 286 yds and caught 4 passes.  He averaged 4 touches a game.  

Didn't say he led the team in rushing. I said he was the most efficient with the carries he got. 

6 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Didn't say he led the team in rushing. I said he was the most efficient with the carries he got. 

Also, only 3 games all year last year with more than 5 carries. Imagine what he'll be capable of if he's ever allowed to get a feel for the game, get into a rhythm and carry the ball on the same, non-gimmick plays the other RBs are. 

What a range of RBs. We go from 5'7" 179 lbs. (Shivers) to 6'4" 231 lbs. (Joiner) and 3 pluggers 5'10" to 6'1" in between. All have their strengths and weaknesses. Morris has a nice selection of RBs to choose from for almost any situation.  

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Sure as hell will and it's about time. He was criminally underused the last two years.

Crazy that people make such a big deal about height and weight when it comes to RB’s. He may be 5’7 but he’s built like a tank, strong and uses his leverage extremely well and has world class speed, not to mention the type of leader he is. That’s a guy I want leading my RB group if you ask me.

16 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Crazy that people make such a big deal about height and weight when it comes to RB’s. He may be 5’7 but he’s built like a tank, strong and uses his leverage extremely well and has world class speed, not to mention the type of leader he is. That’s a guy I want leading my RB group if you ask me.

Dexter McCluster averaged 14 and 4 per game in 2013. He was an inch taller and over 10 lbs lighter. Noel Devine averaged over 19 touches a game for three consecutive seasons at a very similar size. Darren Sproles carried the ball 815 times at Kansas State. The greatest RB of all time was 5'8. 

People are just so dumb about this. I don't know about other fan bases but Auburn fans really are terrible about it. Every year, we've got people lining up to demand we give the ball to the biggest guy we've got. I've heard of guys overcompensating with big trucks and big belt buckles and such, but doing it with your favorite team's running back every year seems a little strange. 

I know I'm being a little bit extra about this. A few more seasons and I'll be that old crazy guy standing on Toomer's Corner every day with a scraggly beard and a sign. The kids will point and laugh and turn me into a meme. The cops will tell me to find another corner on game day. So basically what I already do, except using physical media instead of doing it in the cloud. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dexter McCluster averaged 14 and 4 per game in 2013. He was an inch taller and over 10 lbs lighter. Noel Devine averaged over 19 touches a game for three consecutive seasons at a very similar size. Darren Sproles carried the ball 815 times at Kansas State. The greatest RB of all time was 5'8. 

People are just so dumb about this. I don't know about other fan bases but Auburn fans really are terrible about it. Every year, we've got people lining up to demand we give the ball to the biggest guy we've got. I've heard of guys overcompensating with big trucks and big belt buckles and such, but doing it with your favorite team's running back every year seems a little strange. 

I know I'm being a little bit extra about this. A few more seasons and I'll be that old crazy guy standing on Toomer's Corner every day with a scraggly beard and a sign every day. The kids will point and laugh and turn me into a meme. The cops will tell me to find another corner on game day. So basically what I already do, except using physical media instead of doing it in the cloud. 

I remember when I was in school there was a guy, that actually looked a lot like pat dye, that you would see everyday sitting on one of the benches on magnolia. That is your destiny Loof 😂

15 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I remember when I was in school there was a guy, that actually looked a lot like pat dye, that you would see everyday sitting on one of the benches on magnolia. That is your destiny Loof 😂

All the scenery a fella could ever need. He was no dummy!

18 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I know I'm being a little bit extra about this. A few more seasons and I'll be that old crazy guy standing on Toomer's Corner every day with a scraggly beard and a sign. The kids will point and laugh and turn me into a meme. The cops will tell me to find another corner on game day. So basically what I already do, except using physical media instead of doing it in the cloud. 

In the last 30 years, the top runners are between 5'9" and 6'2" and weigh between 206 and 216 pounds.  The SEC skews slightly larger in those ranges.  Teams play smaller people when they don't have a real running back, their real back gets injured, or they are desperate.  But hey, stats.  We better hope a freshman can perform to their recruit ranking.  We are once again, under Gus, entering the season trying to figure it out instead of having figured it out during camp.  Here's hoping Shivers, or anyone, puts up 150 yds and makes me eat crow.

2 hours ago, japantiger said:

In the last 30 years, the top runners are between 5'9" and 6'2" and weigh between 206 and 216 pounds.  The SEC skews slightly larger in those ranges.  Teams play smaller people when they don't have a real running back, their real back gets injured, or they are desperate.  But hey, stats.  We better hope a freshman can perform to their recruit ranking.  We are once again, under Gus, entering the season trying to figure it out instead of having figured it out during camp.  Here's hoping Shivers, or anyone, puts up 150 yds and makes me eat crow.

Or he’s balled out, been a leader, and earned his shot. I think many of us see that with the talent in our RB room that there will be plenty of guys getting touches this season. You see Shaun as a 5’7 180lb football player. I see an old school football player that loves contact, is a leader, strong, and has world class speed. If you can ball you can ball. You speak of the “standard” but that doesn’t mean a guy won’t succeed because of his size. He’s 5’7 180 but he’s built different. Go watch some of his highlights when he lowers his shoulder into bigger defenders, or plants his foot in the ground and gets upfield. That’s why he is RB1

On 9/23/2020 at 8:58 AM, DAG said:

Low to the ground and strong as an ox

I think people make way to much assumptions based on size 

My only question with that (and I am legitimately asking) is if that block happened in 2020 would that be called offensive targeting?  So if this were Worm (or any smaller RB at any school), would his only option be more reactive blocking, putting him at a disadvantage due to his height.

Archived