AU depth chart for UK game

Maverick.AU

Also @McLoofus, I'm still super skeptical that Worm gets a real shot this season. Chad Morris adds some promise to that proposition, but I won't be the slightest bit surprised to see Worm limited once again. I hope that's not the case. I'm desperate to see him get a legitimate shot to settle the score.

Edit: shouldn't say super skeptical. I just don't trust Gus when it comes to changing trends at the RB position. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm late to the party, but a couple of thoughts:

We're absolutely stacked at the Star position. Steele loves Tutt and his only hindrance is being a half step too slow. Pucket was hand picked for the position by Steele. Tenison is the truth and by all accounts has wowed in practices, will play as well.

The RB depth chart writing had been on the wall. Worm has earned the starting nod. Dude was named a team captain for a reason. Very talented group. I'm excited to see Morris finally get dudes like Shivers going with outside zone and passes out of the backfield to the likes of MAR. 

The superstars can't be found on the DL, but my god Garner has stacked it with talented bodies once again. They'll be the key to the UK game and what I'll be watching most of all.

Pappoe and Sherwood about to become household names if they remain healthy. Excited to see Steiner be able to get valuable experience early on.

Soooo ready to see the increased versatility we've heard about out of the WR corp to finally come to fruition. Those guys playing multiple positions and increased roles in Chad's scheme (TEs running actual routes, too).

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I think you and I see this one differently, especially in comparison to Joiner. But, if there's anyone to blame for his lack of support, it's Gus. I don't think it's anything unique to the Auburn fan base in that regard. For casual fans, it's hard to believe in a guy that the HC didn't believe in enough to get it done as a feature back. 

"For casual fans" is a good qualifier in that last sentence.

But I've been paying close attention to the conversation around Worm since day 1 and, generally speaking, Auburn fans just haven't given him a chance as a lead back at any point in his career. "We" wrote him off before Gus did.

And I agree that this RB1 designation doesn't guarantee anything. But I do believe that the offense is more of a meritocracy now. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

But I've been paying close attention to the conversation around Worm since day 1 and, generally speaking, Auburn fans just haven't given him a chance as a lead back at any point in his career. "We" wrote him off before Gus did.

And I agree that this RB1 designation doesn't guarantee anything. But I do believe that the offense is more of a meritocracy now. 

I'll also concede that I generally only read posts from a dozen or so posters on this board, and most if not all have been behind Worm from the start. So, that may be the reason I perceive things the way I do. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Nope he’s always been the “scat back”, but going back to his highschool days, until now, he thrives off contact. He’s the type of guy that late in games (with his leadership) he’s gonna get guys to rally. People always talk smack on his size but he carries himself and plays to the level way bigger than that. Honestly the (few) hating on him Just get my blood pressure up

9 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I'll also concede that I generally only read posts from a dozen or so posters on this board, and most if not all have been behind Worm from the start. So, that may be the reason I perceive things the way I do. 

Ahh, yeah, that could have something to do with it.

Side note: Good on ya for curating your experience this way. I've used the ignore feature so liberally, I might be better served just using a follow list instead. 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ahh, yeah, that could have something to do with it.

Side note: Good on ya for curating your experience this way. I've used the ignore feature so liberally, I might be better served just using a follow list instead. 

I haven't even considered using a follow list. I just skim through threads and generally only stop to read posts by posters I like and respect. 

9 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Nope he’s always been the “scat back”, but going back to his highschool days, until now, he thrives off contact. He’s the type of guy that late in games (with his leadership) he’s gonna get guys to rally. People always talk smack on his size but he carries himself and plays to the level way bigger than that. Honestly the (few) hating on him Just get my blood pressure up

Glad you said that about blood pressure. I have an emotional reaction to what should be a logical conversation myself. But we're not talking about an inanimate object, and as you have so eloquently spelled out, Worm is special even in a locker room filled with special men. I won't ask anyone to ride with us on that- actually, yes I will, since the dude is now a team captain- but he lacks leverage? Strength? Sweet jeebity jeebus, these clowns.

Fortunately Barn is right that there are only a few who go straight dumb ass about it. By far, the most common thing I've heard is essentially, "He does everything well but I don't see him as a feature/every down/full time/lead back." I recently saw that tweeted by an AU blogger whose opinions I tend to respect greatly and who follows the program very closely. And that is more palatable than I care to admit. I'm just so tired of seeing it, and I've also been tired of the conversation for 7 years. Because this exact same conversation happened in the summer of 2013. Granted, Tre was a little bigger, but he was no less doubted by the masses. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I haven't even considered using a follow list. I just skim through threads and generally only stop to read posts by posters I like and respect. 

Hey @Maverick.AU

Top Gun GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Right back at ya, buddy. Always happy to see your handle and Mandy Patinkin at his most dashing. 

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

Oh and I've been trying to tell people about worm since day 1 he's been here. I'll probably have to go through the same with Goodwin when he gets here too. I was telling people about him when he was literally a freshman in high school

Nice to see you post on this side again.  Welcome back

28 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I just want 11 guys that can stay on the field (no subbing) where we can run the entire offense and go methodically down the field every time. Is that too much to ask? haha

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one...

Another way in which Morris's offense will be drastically different than ours has been, even if it's not obvious in the types of plays we're running. 

Just imagine a running back not named Boobie or Kerryon getting an entire series. Or Eli Stove running a drag route. Or Bo Nix having progressions to go through.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just imagine a running back not named Boobie or Kerryon getting an entire series. Or Eli Stove running a drag route. Or Bo Nix having progressions to go through.

I can only imagine...

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Alec Jackson gets the official nod. 

LFG

Not shocked, but I do hate it for Trox. As talented as he was coming in, all those injuries really hampered him.

18 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Let’s  (blank) go. Whichever word you prefer to use lol

Let's frankfurter go!

It just doesn't seem to have the same ring to it.

On 9/24/2020 at 7:53 PM, cole256 said:

Oh and I've been trying to tell people about worm since day 1 he's been here. I'll probably have to go through the same with Goodwin when he gets here too. I was telling people about him when he was literally a freshman in high school

I remember when it was you, Mav, McLoof, and myself trying to tell folks there is something much more to this young man than his measurables. 

We still see it; some don't fully, some not at all.

Seems the allegory of the cave may be apropos here. 

60 minutes of playing our best is all it takes to win this game! War Eagle 🦅 

Archived