looters

aubiefifty

looters.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, he kind of makes a point though.  Why do we as a society not blink twice when people burn stuff and riot after winning or losing a game?  What's fundamentally different, besides the predominant race of BLM protesters and sports fans?

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

I mean, he kind of makes a point though.  Why do we as a society not blink twice when people burn stuff and riot after winning or losing a game?  What's fundamentally different, besides the predominant race of BLM protesters and sports fans?

Well, we do condemn the burning, looting and rioting after winning or losing a game. It's ridiculous, stupid, damaging, dangerous and downright irresponsible behavior no matter the impetus. 

24 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Well, we do condemn the burning, looting and rioting after winning or losing a game. It's ridiculous, stupid, damaging, dangerous and downright irresponsible behavior no matter the impetus. 

Don't remember seeing much outrage anywhere about it.  And it's happened much more often and for a longer period of time (over the course of years).

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Don't remember seeing much outrage anywhere about it.  And it's happened much more often and for a longer period of time (over the course of years).

When is it celebrated? It is condemned on the news whenever I see it. 

21 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

When is it celebrated? It is condemned on the news whenever I see it. 

I never said it was "celebrated".  But you don't have consistent outrage about it.  Sports fans doing this stuff is primarily regarded as a stupid nuisance, but nothing more, despite doing the same stuff that others are being constantly roasted for.  That's the point.

It also usually only lasts for a few hours (not months), and normally doesn't involve intentionally torching businesses and government buildings, attacking people on the street or in vehicles or the police.  Every time it has escalated to overturning cars or setting them on fire, breaking and entering stores, or someone getting hurt, there are folks rounded up and prosecuted and it is condemned by local and sometimes national media.  I can't think of one time where it was just regarded as a nuisance.  Maybe folks partying and getting a bit toasty, but once it becomes criminal behavior, the law gets involved as they should. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I never said it was "celebrated".  But you don't have consistent outrage about it.  Sports fans doing this stuff is primarily regarded as a stupid nuisance, but nothing more, despite doing the same stuff that others are being constantly roasted for.  That's the point.

I think you are talking about the liberal view of rioting after a sporting event. I can assure you that the conservative view of such actions has been outrage.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Let’s just deflect to whataboutism......When you have nothing else. 

It's not whataboutism when it's pointing out blatant hypocrisy and a double standard.

12 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's not whataboutism when it's pointing out blatant hypocrisy and a double standard.

Here's the difference.

When looting takes place after a hurricane, it's usually an Isolated incident in an isolated city that has been effected.

When rioting and looting takes place after a sports team wins a championship, it's an isolated incident in an isolated city, and it pretty much lasts for one night and then it's over.

When these BLM and Antifa terrorists get together to riot and loot it's a concerted, orchestrated effort that has an overall objective to cause havoc, panic, and mass destruction, and seemingly has no end. It is not spontaneous as the examples used of a hurricane and sporting event.

All three of these acts are criminal. They should all be condemned, and all lawbreakers should be punished in each event, but to try to group the three together is ludicrous! (or loot-icrous)

29 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Here's the difference.

When looting takes place after a hurricane, it's usually an Isolated incident in an isolated city that has been effected.

When rioting and looting takes place after a sports team wins a championship, it's an isolated incident in an isolated city, and it pretty much lasts for one night and then it's over.

When these BLM and Antifa terrorists get together to riot and loot it's a concerted, orchestrated effort that has an overall objective to cause havoc, panic, and mass destruction, and seemingly has no end. It is not spontaneous as the examples used of a hurricane and sporting event.

All three of these acts are criminal. They should all be condemned, and all lawbreakers should be punished in each event, but to try to group the three together is ludicrous! (or loot-icrous)

you people seem to want to blame antifa for everything while denying those on the right ever do anything to include promoting looting. how many articles would you like me to post where white hate groups have pretended to be antifa? i can post dozens from legit news sites. how many you need?

56 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you people seem to want to blame antifa for everything while denying those on the right ever do anything to include promoting looting. how many articles would you like me to post where white hate groups have pretended to be antifa? i can post dozens from legit news sites. how many you need?

I wonder if you were a beagle hound in a previous life bc you sure do like to chase rabbits. My response was directly to Brad's post and is very relevant and prevalent as to what's going on still today. But if it would make your day, please send me 1 link of where conservatives promoted looting.

Just now, ArgoEagle said:

I wonder if you were a beagle hound in a previous life bc you sure do like to chase rabbits. My response was directly to Brad's post and is very relevant and prevalent as to what's going on still today. But if it would make your day, please send me 1 link of where conservatives promoted looting.

do you consider white racists conservatives? answer me that first.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

do you consider white racists conservatives? answer me that first.

No. I consider them racists

2 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

No. I consider them racists

you know conservatives have cornered the market on racism right?

nbcnews.com

White nationalist group posing as antifa called for violence on Twitter

Ben CollinsBen Collins covers disinformation, extremism and the internet for NBC News.

6-7 minutes

A Twitter account claiming to belong to a national “antifa” organization and pushing violent rhetoric related to ongoing protests has been linked to the white nationalist group Identity Evropa, according to a Twitter spokesperson.

The spokesperson said the account violated the company's platform manipulation and spam policy, specifically the creation of fake accounts. Twitter suspended the account after a tweet that incited violence.

As protests were taking place in multiple states across the U.S. Sunday night, the newly created account, @ANTIFA_US, tweeted, “Tonight’s the night, Comrades,” with a brown raised fist emoji and “Tonight we say 'F--- The City' and we move into the residential areas... the white hoods.... and we take what's ours …”

This isn’t the first time Twitter has taken action against fake accounts engaged in hateful conduct linked to Identity Evropa, according to the spokesperson.

The antifa movement — a network of loosely organized radical groups who use direct action to fight the far-right and fascism — has been targeted by President Donald Trump as the force behind some of the violence and property destruction seen at some protests, though little evidence has been provided for such claims.

Other misinformation and misleading claims spread across Twitter on Sunday night and into Monday related to the protests.

Full coverage of George Floyd’s death and protests around the country

Two hashtags that trended worldwide on Twitter falsely claimed that there was a "cover-up" or a "blackout" of protests in Washington, D.C., overnight. Both appeared to insinuate that protesters have been silenced in some way, perhaps by a secret internet blackout.

Twitter says it has removed the trend from its "trending topics" section because of "coordinated attempts to disrupt the public conversation" around the protests.

Twitter said it suspended several hundred accounts and is investigating the viral spread of the hashtag, which it said was boosted by "hundreds of spammy accounts."

"We're taking action proactively on any coordinated attempts to disrupt the public conversation around this issue," a Twitter spokesperson said.

The spokesperson said the company sometimes pulls down hashtags that violate the company's rules, like platform manipulation.

"We want trends to promote healthy discussions on Twitter. This means that at times, we may prevent certain content from trending. These include trends that violate the Twitter Rules," the Twitter spokesperson said.

NetBlocks, a nonprofit group monitoring worldwide internet access, found no indication of a mass-scale internet disruption in the Washington area overnight or in the last 48 hours.

Journalists covering the protests also took to Twitter to disprove the hoax.

"A lot of people are asking me about a possible #dcblackout. I've been out near the White House since 4 am and haven't experienced any outage," tweeted Victoria Sanchez, a reporter for WJLA, the local ABC affiliate, adding that her colleagues had posted multiple updates throughout the night.

Many accounts tweeting the message had few to no followers. The same messages were also posted on Reddit and 4chan late Sunday. The posts pushing the #DCBlackout hashtag peaked in popularity around 12:30 a.m. ET Monday.

A second narrative boosted by bots and hacked accounts claimed that #DCBlackout is a misinformation campaign. The same message was tweeted verbatim by multiple accounts.

"Yeah...... as someone seeing #dcblackout trending, who lives and works in the DC metro area, and who has friends telecommuting into DC rn..... This hashtag looks like misinformation," read the tweet, which was posted hundreds of times.

Some accounts had few to no followers, while other tweets were posted by users who claim to have been hacked.

One verified Twitter user, Jason Elia, said his account was hacked to tweet the message. Elia lives in Oklahoma City and said he wouldn't go to Washington "unless they build an In-N-Out there." He said he has since changed his password.

A demonstrator raises arms next to U.S. Secret Service uniformed division officers during a rally near the White House on June 1, 2020.Jonathan Ernst / Reuters

The goal of the hashtag seems to be to sow confusion and fear during a chaotic time and to push the #DCBlackout hashtag to the front page of Twitter, where all users would at least glance at the disinformation.

Josh Russell, an independent bot researcher who identifies foreign and domestic hacking and trolling operations, said events like the weekend's protests are ripe for this kind of platform manipulation.

"Any large 'online' event is going to have these types of things happen. Every bad actor that sees the opportunity to create some panic is going to leverage the situation to do so. It's nothing new," Russell said.

Off Twitter, viral text messages of screenshots of doctored tweets have circulated throughout the country. Some of the false text messages claim that extremist groups are plotting to move into residential areas this week.

Bot researchers call this kind of disinformation distribution "hidden viral" text messages, which go undetected on mainstream platforms like Facebook and Twitter and can spread like wildfire without moderation.

Download the NBC News app for full coverage and alerts on this story

Similar "hidden viral" text messages went viral at the beginning of the coronavirus outbreak in the U.S., with messages claiming that the institution of martial law was imminent, vaguely citing friends or co-workers.

American officials later claimed that the texts were boosted by Chinese disinformation agents to spread panic.

Russell said hostile foreign governments frequently "look at opportunities to make it seem as though there is an infrastructure failure" during times of crisis.

"This is a common thing for foreign disinformation agents," Russell said. "They would be trying to get people to believe that things are much worse on the ground than they are."

washingtonmonthly.com

How White Supremacists Are Using Protests to Fuel Racial Tensions

by Nancy LeTourneau

3-4 minutes

And how the president and the attorney general are helping them.

July 29, 2020

| 6:30 AM

Jenny Salita/Flickr

The day after George Floyd was killed by Minneapolis police officers, peaceful protesters took to the streets. But the first serious incidence of violence came two days later on May 27th when a masked man started breaking windows at an auto parts store.

This video was removed from YouTube. It shows exactly who broke windows at AutoZone. Please retweet and help identify the instigator. #JusticeForFloyd pic.twitter.com/D17kGL404J

— Javier Morillo 🇵🇷🏳️‍🌈 (@javimorillo) May 28, 2020

That set off a chain reaction of looting, fires, and rioting. Three days later, Attorney General Bill Barr made a statement, saying that “In many places it appears the violence is planned, organized and driven by anarchic and far left extremist groups using Antifa-like tactics, many of whom travel from outside the state to promote the violence.” The president echoed those remarks.

It’s ANTIFA and the Radical Left. Don’t lay the blame on others!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 30, 2020

On Tuesday, we learned something about the so-called “umbrella man” in the video above.

A masked man who was seen in a viral video smashing the windows of a south Minneapolis auto parts store during the George Floyd protests, earning him the moniker “Umbrella Man,” is suspected to be a member of the Hell’s Angels biker gang seeking to incite racial tension in a demonstration that until then had been peaceful, police said…

A subsequent investigation revealed that the man was also an associate of the Aryan Cowboy Brotherhood, a small white supremacist prison and street gang based primarily in Minnesota and Kentucky.

Police have also connected the Aryan Cowboy Brotherhood to an incident in which a Muslim woman and her daughter were harassed in Stillwater, Minnesota by a group of men wearing white supremacist insignia.

Last weekend, something similar happened in Richmond, Virginia.

Riots in downtown Richmond over the weekend were instigated by white supremacists under the guise of Black Lives Matter, according to law enforcement officials.

Protesters tore down police tape and pushed forward toward Richmond police headquarters, where they set a city dump truck on fire.

If we add all of that to the involvement of the far-right anti-government group Boogaloo Boys, it becomes clear that much of the violence we’re seeing on the streets is coming from two groups: (1) law enforcement, and (2) far-right/white supremacist groups. But as the president and attorney general defend the use of force by law enforcement to “dominate” the streets, it is significant that neither one of them has called out the actual extremists who are involved.

Nancy LeTourneau

Nancy LeTourneau is a contributing writer for the Washington

crooksandliars.com

Richmond VA Violence Caused By White Supremacists Posing As BLM

David Neiwert

7-9 minutes

We’ve had evidence for some time that right-wing extremists have been lurking at anti-police protests around the nation, amplifying the violence by engaging in vandalism, assaults, and attacks on police—often while pretending to be there to support Black Lives Matter and antifascists leading the protests.

This weekend in Richmond, Virginia, police arrested several such saboteurs during a Black Lives Matter protest, according to city Mayor Levar Stoney. “White supremacists” were carrying pro-BLM signs and breaking windows at downtown businesses, Stoney said, but were stopped when BLM protesters pointed them out to police.

"We've spoken on many occasions about those who've chosen a more violent route to express their discontent, and what that does for the overall movement towards social justice," Stoney told reporters Sunday. "Last night that reared its ugly head right here in the City of Richmond ... We saw some violent actions, violent protests, spearheaded by white supremacists. And frankly, it was disgusting. Disgusting. As they held plywood shields that read, BLM, these folks toured areas of damage downtown, The Fan, breaking windows, tagging private property with hateful language."

Stoney thanked the protesters who called it out. "As I began with, I want to send a thanks to the BLM protesters on the ground who decried the white supremacists once they were identified. I'm thankful to you for drawing the line and sticking up not just for the sanctity of your movement, but also the safety of your fellow Richmonders that you marched alongside as well," the mayor said.

Six people were arrested at the protest, but their identities have not been released.

The city’s police chief, Gerald Smith, described the situation in somewhat more confusing terms, telling reporters that he believed “antifa-influenced” protesters were involved: "We have identified some individuals who have been seen with the Boogaloo boys and some Antifa groups around the area. The majority of those individuals who were there last night were Caucasian," Smith said.

In reality, “antifa” is definitively opposed to white supremacism, while the “Boogaloo boys” are primarily a far-right movement (including some white supremacists) that have been using the protests to widen their recruitment base by marching on the anti-police side.

Not only are white supremacists involved in the violence and property damage at the protests, but it’s clear that they are working multiple strategies to leverage the chaos into what they hope will be a democracy-destroying race and civil war. The tactics so far include:

Dressing up in clothing typically worn by antifascist demonstrators, mainly the all-black clothing and masks worn by so-called “black bloc” activists. This has been observed both in Portland and in Seattle, where well-known far-right “Proud Boy” street brawlers have been spotted and reported on social media.

Turning up at protest demonstrations fully armed with body armor, often wearing the Hawaiian shirts that signify participation in the “Boogaloo” civil-war movement, and claiming to be sympathetic to the anti-police protesters (many “Boogaloo” enthusiasts are indeed violently disposed toward law-enforcement officers). This has occurred in a variety of places, including in North Minneapolis, in Salisbury, North Carolina, in Bentonville, Arkansas, as well as in Seattle and Los Angeles. The most notorious case occurred in Denver, Colorado, where a “Boogaloo Boi” was arrested by police at a protest with a large arsenal in the trunk of his car.

Pretending to be antifascists or anarchists on the Internet, primarily with the purpose of duping the public into believing that antifascists were on the verge of attacking communities. One fake flier, spread around Olympia, Washington, offered people $200 to act as “paid protesters,” all of it ostensibly paid for by George Soros and the Open Society Foundation. The most glaring hoax was when a Twitter account calling itself “ANTIFA US” began posting wildly incendiary exhortations: “Tonight’s the night, Comrades. Tonight we say 'F--- The City' and we move into the residential areas... the white hoods.... and we take what's ours …” The account was taken down after Twitter ascertained it was associated with activists involved in the white-nationalist Identity Evropa organization. Despite being a fairly obvious hoax, it nonetheless duped Donald Trump Jr. into repeating the post on Instagram with a message supporting his father’s attempts to blame antifascists for the violence.

Police forces appear to be susceptible to these deceptive tactics. On Sunday, Portland Police tweeted out a photo of what it claimed were Molotov cocktails and gun magazines (with peculiarly fresh red paint on them), saying they found after someone at that evening’s anti-police protest in Portland pointed out a black bag them. The police bureau that had earlier succumbed to the “concrete milkshake” hoax did not appear to consider that these dubious devices may have been planted with the intention of framing the anti-police protesters.

Ironically, much of the violence generated by the “Boogaloo” cult has so far been directed primarily at police, who seem slow to recognize any kind of violent threat from the extremist right. Recent incidents are making clear that men swept up in the movement are increasingly intent on making it a reality:

An Air Force sergeant in California who was a “Boogaloo” fan shot two federal officers at an anti-police protest in Oakland, one fatally. Two days later, after being tracked to Santa Cruz County, he shot and killed a sheriff’s deputy while being arrested. During the rampage, he scrawled the word “Boog” in blood on the hood of the car he was driving.

The three Las Vegas-area “Boogaloo Bois” arrested for building Molotov cocktails as part of a larger campaign to wreak havoc around the ongoing Black Lives Matter protests over police brutality did not plan to attack BLM—as most “Patriot” and “Proud Boy” groups have done over the past three years—but instead sought to use the BLM protests to target police officers and power infrastructure, as a way of ramping up the violence around the protests.

A Texarkana, Texas, man who intended to spark the “Boogaloo” by ambushing police officers, was caught by officers who were alerted by his attempt to livestream his planned killing spree. They went to his location and arrested him shortly thereafter.

A “Boogaloo” enthusiast who posted comments on Facebook about bringing his rifle to an anti-stay-at-home-orders protest in Denver attracted the interest of FBI agents, who upon visiting him at his home discovered a cache of homemade pipe bombs. The man openly expressed his intent to use them to kill any federal agents who tried to invade his home.

Another “Boogaloo Boi” planned to livestream his ambush on police officers at an Ohio national park, but was arrested by FBI agents before he could pull off the plan.

Republished with permission of Daily Kos

abcnews.go.com

Intelligence bulletin warning of protest-related violence makes little mention of 'antifa'

ABC News

6-7 minutes

Document: Threat of "lethal violence" from "lone offenders" motivated by race.

Despite repeated Trump administration assertions that the antifa movement has hijacked the ongoing protests around the country sparked by the police killing of George Floyd, a new federal intelligence bulletin points to white supremacists and other would-be domestic terrorists as the main problem lurking behind potentially lethal violence.

Though the document issued by the FBI, Department of Homeland Security and National Counterterrorism Center also includes a warning to law enforcement about anarchist extremists, it makes only a limited mention of the left-leaning, loosely affiliated antifa movement, and appears to undercut recent criticisms of the movement by President Trump and top administration officials.

“Based upon current information, we assess the greatest threat of lethal violence continues to emanate from lone offenders with racially or ethnically motivated violent extremist ideologies and [domestic violent extremists] with personalized ideologies,” according to the bulletin, which was obtained by ABC News.

“Additionally,” the document notes, “anarchist extremists continue to pose the most significant threat of targeted assaults against police, as well as targeting government buildings and police vehicles for damage, sometimes with improvised incendiary devices.”

While experts previously told ABC News that the ideology of some antifa adherents includes anarchism -- along with socialism and communism -- mention of the movement itself in the bulletin is relegated to a footnote. It says, "Some anarchist extremists self-identify as ‘Antifa,’ a moniker for anti-fascist that is also used by non-violent adherents. Identifying with ‘Antifa’ or using the term without engaging in violent extremism may also be constitutionally protected.”

The intelligence bulletin was distributed to law enforcement agencies around the country and titled “Domestic Violent Extremists Could Exploit Current Events to Incite or Justify Attacks on Law Enforcement or Civilians Engaged in First Amendment-Protected Activities.”

It says would-be domestic terrorists “including militia extremists and [groups] who advocate a belief in the superiority of the white race have sought to bring about a second civil war, often referred to as a 'Boogaloo' by intentionally instigating violence at First Amendment-protected activities. Racially charged events, coupled with the accompanying widespread media attention, and the rapid dissemination of violent online rhetoric by [extremists], are likely to remain contributing factors to potentially ideologically motivated violence.”

The bulletin falls into a pattern established since the start of the nationwide protests sparked by the death in Minneapolis of Floyd under the knee of a white cop who has since been charged with second-degree murder. The Trump administration, led by the president, his national security adviser and Attorney General William Barr, have all pointed to antifa as the cause of violence and fear.

Tuesday morning Trump tweeted a wild and unproven conspiracy theory that the 75-year-old man seriously injured by Buffalo police at a demonstration last week “could be an Antifa provocateur.”

“Martin Gugino was pushed away after appearing to scan police communications in order to black out the equipment,” Trump wrote “I watched, he fell harder than was pushed. Was aiming scanner. Could be a set up?”

An attorney for Gugino called the president's accusations "dark, dangerous, and untrue."

During a news conference last week, Barr singled out antifa as well, saying “we have evidence that antifa and other similar extremist groups, as well as actors of a variety of different political persuasions have been involved in instigating and participating in the violent activity."

But even before the new intelligence bulletin was put out, official reports issued by law enforcement and intelligence agencies have consistently pointed mainly to what is considered the opposite side of the political spectrum from antifa. Their warnings have said the real danger facing the public and even protesters comes from the fringe right, specifically white supremacists and anti-government militia-type groups.

Monday's bulletin was distributed to law enforcement agencies and senior government officials the same day Virginia prosecutors said they are investigating as a possible hate crime the incident in which an admitted member of the KKK allegedly drove into a crowd of protesters.

“As protests continue, the threat of potential violence created by [domestic extremists] towards civilians, law enforcement, and other targets will likely remain,” the document says. “The FBI, DHS and NCTC assess [domestic extremists] will likely continue to seek to exploit First Amendment-protected activity by using violence and/or encouraging others on social media and messaging applications to use violence. We are also concerned other [extremists] may mobilize in response to the current civil unrest to conduct ambushes or attacks on law enforcement or civilians outside the context of First Amendment-protected activities.”

FBI spokeswoman Kelsey Pietranton told ABC News, "While our standard practice is to not comment on specific intelligence products, the FBI routinely shares information with our law enforcement partners in order to assist in protecting the communities we all serve. The FBI respects the rights of individuals to peacefully exercise their First Amendment rights, and we remain focused on our mission of protecting the American people and upholding the Constitution of the United States.

"We would advise individuals taking part in non-violent protest activities to remain aware of their immediate surroundings, and to report any suspicious, violent, or illegal activity to local law enforcement," Pietranton said.

AD

intel warning

The FBI reportedly discovered white supremacist groups were encouraging followers to engage in violence two days after George Floyd's death

June 1, 2020

An intelligence memo sent by the Department of Homeland Security to law enforcement officials around the country on May 29 warned that extremists groups may try to exploit protests in the wake of George Floyd's death, Politico reports.

The memo, citing the FBI, revealed that on May 27, two days after Floyd died in police custody, "a white supremacist extremist Telegram channel incited followers to engage in violence and start the 'boogaloo' — a term used by some violent extremists to refer to the start of a second Civil War — by shooting in a crowd." One of the messages reportedly encouraged potential shooters to "frame the crowd around you," the document said.

That wasn't the only warning found in the memo. It also said the FBI had information that "suspected anarchist extremists and militia extremists allegedly planned to storm and burn the Minnesota State Capitol." The definition of those groups was somewhat vague, with Politico noting the memo didn't specifically distinguish between left- or right-wing in this instance, despite the Trump administration's fixation on Antifa. Politico did suggest the description of the "anarchists extremists" seemed to hint at an association with the far left, while the "militia extremists" appeared to represent the far right. Read more at Politico. Tim O'Donnell

thats all i am posting because i know you are not reading a damn thing i post but i said i would post them so i did. you need to quit listening to a known liar like trump on stuff like antifa because he is just making crap up to rally his base. have some antifa folks gotten violent? of course but not like trump says and not anywhere close to what the racists are doing.

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you know conservatives have cornered the market on racism right?

No. I am a conservative, and so are hundreds of other people I know. We are not racists.

Racists are in a class of their own.

you did not read the articles and i knew you would not. remember that next time you ask me for a link because you are just wasting my time.

Archived