2022 Softball Recruiting Thread

34 minutes ago, Jad0003 said:

Wish we were playing a Division 1 team or two, but I know scheduling for fall ball is not always easy. Hopefully they will live stream a few games too.

agree. I really would love to see live streaming. It is easy these days...heck even middle schools stream their games... :)

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

We are playing AUM, who beat us last year, if memory serves.

Chipola has a history of good teams, not sure where they are right now.

Chipola won a NC 2 years ago, so they are still pretty good.  Most of the Florida JC's are always pretty decent and they are all D1 JC's.  Not to compare them to D1 4 year schools, but they are decent and if they have a good pitcher will be good competition.

Don't discount the JUCO competition. Wallace will be a much better matchup for AU softball than Al St or Akron are for football. Granted I am the dad of a JUCO kid so slightly biased but her team is loaded.  I believe every player on the roster had a DI or DII offer at minimum including a couple of SEC offers. As a program they do not recruit "JUCO" players. The go after the best possible and in a sport where full rides are virtually impossible the $2300 total out of pocket for the year for a dorm is a huge selling point. I was thankful when my daughter told me she wanted to commit. She still had DI interest but her visit there sold her and saved my bank account.

Any time a team finishes 55-6 and hits 120 hr's in a season they can be dangerous. Returning sophomores combined for 80 of the HR's. As a team they hit .393 and scored 553 runs. They did lose some pitching as they were mostly sophomores but signed a couple of good arms and Chipola's #1 transferred in. I am looking forward to watching them compete. Are they as talented as AU? No but there are girls on the team that would have been a huge help for AU last season.

Edited by RHN1975
Additional info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also keep in mind JUCO's of today are not the same thing we saw even a couple of years ago. A lot of girls that were DI locks lost opportunities thanks to Covid and the extra years of availability. These girls had to either take less money or go elsewhere. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 2:37 PM, RHN1975 said:

Also keep in mind JUCO's of today are not the same thing we saw even a couple of years ago. A lot of girls that were DI locks lost opportunities thanks to Covid and the extra years of availability. These girls had to either take less money or go elsewhere. 

Also keep in mind that a D1 juco scholarship is a full ride.  No partials, plus Florida schools give their players expense money.  At least that's the way it used to be.  The Florida jucos have no problem recruiting good players.

Definitely didn’t mean to discount the JUCO softball world. I am all for students finding the best path / school for them to succeed and be happy - whether it’s through athletic ability, field of study, or financial well-being. 

It will be nice for the team to see outside competition no matter who we play. I imagine a few of the JUCO teams are better than some D1 teams we will see on the schedule this year. I think Jadia Jones transferred in from Chipola two years ago after they won a national championship in 2019. 

Typically Florida and FSU will play in fall ball, and I also noticed Tennessee and Kentucky are playing this year. I thought it would be a good experience to play an instate team like Alabama, UAB, Troy, or USA on top of some of the other games.

Edited by Jad0003

21 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

Definitely didn’t mean to discount the JUCO softball world. I am all for students finding the best path / school for them to succeed and be happy - whether it’s through athletic ability, field of study, or financial well-being. 

It will be nice for the team to see outside competition no matter who we play. I imagine a few of the JUCO teams are better than some D1 teams we will see on the schedule this year. I think Jadia Jones transferred in from Chipola two years ago after they won a national championship in 2019. 

Typically Florida and FSU will play in fall ball, and I also noticed Tennessee and Kentucky are playing this year. I thought it would be a good experience to play an instate team like Alabama, UAB, Troy, or USA on top of some of the other games.

Wasn't singling you out just a general comment. When it comes to softball you seem to always know what you are talking about and share some great info. I just wanted to share some info for others that may not be familiar with some of the programs around here. 

I agree with the thought about playing an instate DI. The experience would be good but none of them excite me. AU will in most season play pretty much every DI in Alabama. I'd like to see them bring in a team like UNC or Louisville plus a couple of Jucos or DII's and play a round robin. Get a higher level opponent plus get plenty of innings and AB's for the entire team.

Sounds good! I don’t know much about the JUCO level in many sports, but I am always happy to listen and learn.

Yes, we do play the in-state team during the year, so I understand the sentiment around not wanting to play during fall ball. As @OlderWhiskey mentioned, we did play Georgia Tech in 2019 (in advance of 2020 season). I only remember because I live in Atlanta and was able to go. 

No matter who the opponent, I hope we show progress this year with all the new starters and recruits. 

If this is posted on Auburn's site I somehow missed it, but are there any restrictions for non-students for the fall games? I'd love to take my daughter down for one of the doubleheaders.

On 9/22/2021 at 9:03 AM, Tiger1992 said:

If this is posted on Auburn's site I somehow missed it, but are there any restrictions for non-students for the fall games? I'd love to take my daughter down for one of the doubleheaders.

From the posts on social media it appears it's wide open like normal. It stated no admission and limited concessions. I mean if we are going to have 80,000+ in Jordan Hare it can't hurt to have a couple hundred at a softball game.

They have a couple of good weekends of softball. They have Wallace and Chipola coming in which are top Juco programs that can compete with a lot of mid-majors. Also have a 10 inning game scheduled against AUM which is a stout DII program.

Edited by RHN1975
addtional comments
  • Like 2

On 9/22/2021 at 9:03 AM, Tiger1992 said:

Confirming RHN1975 above from the AU softball site:

AUBURN, Ala. – Following the cancellation of last weekend's fall exhibition opener, head softball coach Mickey Dean announced changes to Sunday's schedule as the Tigers will now host a tripleheader at Jane B. Moore Field.

Sunday's slate begins at 11:30 a.m. CT as Andrew College was face Wallace State – Hanceville. Auburn will take the field at 2 p.m. CT to face Wallace State. Sunday's finale will see Auburn meeting Andrew College at 4:30 p.m. CT.

As with all home fall games, admission is free to the public. There will be limited concessions
serving bottled beverages, assorted candy and snacks.

The fall games will not be streamed, but fans can stay updated through the Auburn softball Twitter account: @AuburnSoftball.

• Like 2

The 2022 SEC schedule is now posted.  We start with aTm and USC at home, with Florida and Georgia at home later.  Road trips to Kentucky, Arkansas, Miss. St., and UT.

11 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

The 2022 SEC schedule is now posted.  We start with aTm and USC at home, with Florida and Georgia at home later.  Road trips to Kentucky, Arkansas, Miss. St., and UT.

A new topic on the 2022 schedule was started on 9/24 so may be appropriate to place future schedule related info there.

Edited by slot canyon
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 2:37 PM, RHN1975 said:

Incorrect. NCAA lifted money requirements for the 5th year in 2021. 2022 they have to get back to their NCAA governed numbers. 

3 hours ago, AU1947 said:

Incorrect. NCAA lifted money requirements for the 5th year in 2021. 2022 they have to get back to their NCAA governed numbers. 

Yes they did but not all schools are in the P-5 and can afford the money for the extra year for seniors that came back plus their regular scholly’s. Heck a lot of DI’s don’t fully fund the 12.5 they are allowed. 

Based on a Google search, she is LHP / 1B who hits for power from the left side. In her sophomore season at Cullman she earned NFCA 1st team All American Honors where she hit .514 with 74 hits and 21 HRs. She also had an ERA of 2.95 with 314 strikeout in 201 innings. She plays for one of the Thunderbolts teams at the 18u level and is ranked #28 by EIS (Take this with a grain of salt because there are ~250 players in the “Top 100” and all the softball ranking sites are highly criticized at this point). 

It’ll be interesting to see where she ends up on the field. Her high school hitting numbers, especially power, look impressive, but I have no insight into her performance for the Bolts. Her high school ERA is high compared to other pitchers on our roster: Lowe (0.75), Penta (0.09), Dismukes (1.23), Yarbrough (1.12). But Dean might see a raw, 6’1 lefty who he can mold. Either way, she is our second commit of the class.

We also had Kirsten Fleet, a 2023 RHP, visit over the weekend. She is a strikeout pitcher known for her riseball and ranked #8 by EIS (Again, grain of salt). I imagine a lot of 2023 prospects have been visiting and will continue to visit over the next few months.

Edited by Jad0003
Grammar
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

Based on a Google search, she is LHP / 1B who hits for power from the left side. In her sophomore season at Cullman she earned NFCA 1st team All American Honors where she hit .514 with 74 hits and 21 HRs. She also had an ERA of 2.95 with 314 strikeout in 201 innings. She plays for one of the Thunderbolts teams at the 18u level and is ranked #28 by EIS (Take this with a grain of salt because there are ~250 players in the “Top 100” and all the softball ranking sites are highly criticized at this point). 

It’ll be interesting to see where she ends up on the field. Her high school hitting numbers, especially power, look impressive, but I have no insight into her performance for the Bolts. Her high school ERA is high compared to other pitchers on our roster: Lowe (0.75), Penta (0.09), Dismukes (1.23), Yarbrough (1.12). But Dean might see a raw, 6’1 lefty who he can mold. Either way, she is our second commit of the class.

We also had Kirsten Fleet, a 2023 RHP, visit over the weekend. She is a strikeout pitcher known for her riseball and ranked #8 by EIS (Again, grain of salt). I imagine a lot of 2023 prospects have been visiting and will continue to visit over the next few months.

Hannah Dorsett, an outfielder from Hewitt-Trussville, was also on a visit with them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I see there aren't any more Fall ball games for Auburn but Alabama has another one next weekend. What are the rules for Fall ball? Are you only allowed 8 games or is it is based on a certain timeframe (if so, why did we stop at 8)?

6 hours ago, LetsGo said:

I see there aren't any more Fall ball games for Auburn but Alabama has another one next weekend. What are the rules for Fall ball? Are you only allowed 8 games or is it is based on a certain timeframe (if so, why did we stop at 8)?

I think you can play a maximum of 8 games in the Fall.

Auburn Softball picks up a highly ranked commit today for ‘22. Thalia Martin who play with the Atlanta Vipers 18U Premier team. Third-base and outfield. Ranked by Extra Innings as the #15 player in the country. Outstanding.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wmsau said:

Auburn Softball picks up a highly ranked commit today for ‘22. Thalia Martin who play with the Atlanta Vipers 18U Premier team. Third-base and outfield. Ranked by Extra Innings as the #15 player in the country. Outstanding.

Her Twitter says she is a 2023 graduate

• Like 1